Amazon.com

Amazon.com QA Engineer Interview Questions

3.4

11 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com in August 2013.

Be prepared to study for the interview. Don't get discouraged if you don't get the 1st job, sometimes it comes down to a good match.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

QA Engineer Interview

Applied online, then a week later, I got a call from a HR person to schedule phone interviews. Questions about java fundamentals, how to tell a word is anagram, find two elements of an int array that add to a sum.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2013.

The process started with a call from HR who briefed about the position. There were two telephonic rounds after which I was called onsite. Onsite interview was 6 rounds- all asked the same kinds of questions, java scripting and creating test scenarios. Each round was a one-o-one interview and lacked diversity of questions.

Interview Questions
    • java questions. I was told any scripting experience would suffice. but everyone wanted to hear java.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2013.

I had quite a poor experience, all things considered. I was contacted by an in-house recruiter at Amazon. After speaking with the recruiter, I discovered that a couple of my colleague from past positions had migrated up there so I became pretty jazzed about the prospect of working there. After the initial interview with the first recruiter, I was handed off to another recruiter that was suppose to set up the phone interviews. I never heard back from that recruiter, so I contacted the original recruiter who then set me up with yet another recruiter to set me up with 2 phone interviews. Both phone interviews were simple and to the point, mostly technical but simple. After the 2nd phone interview, I emailed the recruiter only to find out that he had been terminated and I was to be set up with yet another recruiter. I'm sure they had a reason for all these mix ups but, I was never informed. It was all very awkward.

They flew my out to Seattle for an in person interview, which went horribly. 2 hours, different people, and a lunch that I didn't have time to finish. All of the questions were extremely technical and they didn't ask me any questions about my resume or my character as a quality assurance engineer. In the end, they did not extend me an offer. All things told, if they did, I would not have accepted.

Interview Questions
    • Right out of the gate before I even got a chance to sit down at the table, I was asked to write a function that tests the lengths of a triangle using legitimate syntax. Ouch.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com in May 2012.

2 seperate phone interviews each for an hour

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about your previous experience. How many test cases did you write and how long did it take.   View Answer
    • test a given webpage   View Answer
    i got paid well and I was happy

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in May 2012.

Interview process was extremely slow, but the interviews themselves were pretty good and would really test a person's intelligence.

1) First round of Recruiter Screening - Basic Questions about Experience and Relocation(Since I am moving from SF to Seattle). About 20 minutes
    2) First Phone Technical Screening - QA Questions, Coding Questions, Behavioral Questions. 1 hour
    3) Second Phone Technical Screening - Coding Questions and Behavioral Questions - 75 min
    4) Whole day on-site in Seattle, lasted about 5 hours, talked with 5 people- A lot of problem solving and coding questions as well as QA scenario questions.

Interview Questions
    Didn't Negotiate, had other offers, just stated those. Pretty Decent Package for Seattle Area which is definitely cheaper compared to Silicon Valley where I am currently working. Extremely in-depth Relocation Package which really made my decision about moving.

QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Amazon.com.

through job portal
    It is good for the candidates who is just out of college
    which all the programming skills
    writting the sorting,recursive
    they don't see that u hav earrived to answer but check for the efficient method

Interview Questions
    • They are so busy to take interview,they don't even refer your CV , no idea abt your exp or previous job.In teh interview they ask aquestion and don't pay much attention for your reply   Answer Question

QA Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Recruiter called and emailed me offering to fly me out to Seattle to interview. I replied via phone and email, but id not hear from the recruiter for a week. Continued to email/call the recruiter up until the tentative interview date with no reply. Very unprofessional.

QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in December 2012.

Written test :

1. ATM machine , after entering pin -> not able to withdraw money. What are all the possible reasons. debug

2. 3*3 matrix given. print the row with max. sum and column with max sum

3. Mathematical program given -> asked to write all possible test data for the scenario

problem solving :

1. In An array find 3 numbers which will form max. product ( array has negative number,0... also) - logic arriving checked

2. an ebook sold from amazon worked for 2 days....after 2 days customer's copy is corrupted...so he asks for refund? how to handle

3. Some testing related scenarios -> app working in intranet, not working in internet - what could be possible reasons

test case enumeration:

1. prof summary

2. test cases for mobile twitter app

1 round - telephonic
    After clear the 1 round they have given the assignment below
    Answer the following question -

Interview Questions
    • Analysis: SEC 30-Day Yield Calculation
      Based on a 30-day period ended on a specified date, the as of date, a fund's yield is calculated by dividing the total net investment income per share earned during the period by the maximum offering price per share on the last day of the period, according to the following formula:

Where:
      Variable FundStation Source Field Description
      a RATE.sec_gross_income The total dividends and interest earned during the period (sum of sec_gross_income).
      b RATE.expenses_net The total expenses accrued for the period (sum of expenses_net).
      c RATE.shares_outstanding The average daily number of shares outstanding during the period that where entitled to receive dividends (average of shares_outstanding).
      d RATE.offering_price The offering price per share on the last day of the period (offering price on as of date).

The following example illustrates the calculation of the SEC 30 Day yield for the Mutual Fund with a fund_id of 1 as of June 30, 1998 using data from the database available to you.
    • The problem:

Company_A has a process that is not set in a given schedule. New builds can come in at any given point of the day. Company_A needs to test these builds via simply logging into them as they come in, and verifying that the login was successful. Executing this manually is a tedious process and the need to have a resource constantly checking their inbox for new builds, and then manually testing amounts to a significant amount of overhead. To reduce the overhead Company_A now wishes to implement a fully automated solution without the need for any human intervention that includes test run setup, configurations, etc.

New build notifications arrive through the company emails in Outlook, and the titles of these new build notifications are standardized and contain the build number that is ready to be tested. E.g. “New Setups for 3.43 are now available for QA testing.”. The body of the email includes the location of the setups, e.g.: “The Application setup is located at: <\\setups\testing\> and is called SETUP.exe.” To test this, after receiving this email, the user has to uninstall any builds that may already be installed on the machine first (installing the new build will NOT work otherwise), and then install the new build via the executable mentioned in the new build email.

Uninstalling the application is done through a command in the command line (you can make one up, but it has to reference the path of the already installed application), and installing the application has to be done from the local machine by way of taking the setup.exe file from the network and copying it to the local machine.

Tasks:

• Create a short design that describes the approach you will use to solve the problem (starting with receiving the email) including specific components needed to make this solution fully automated.
      • Write some code/pseudo code to implement your design. State specifically what should exist in each component.
      • Provide comments in your code that indicate what your test is doing from start to finish.

Note:

• This solution can be provided using any scripting language or automated testing tool, although the VBScript language and TestComplete or QTP testing tools are preferred.
    • Design: SEC 30-Day Yield Calculator
      Overview
      We will implement the SEC 30-Day Yield Calculation in a new application called the “SEC 30-Day Yield Calculator”. This application, when run, will automatically connect to the database and display an input form (see illustration) that will allow the user to enter a Fund ID and As Of Date. The input form will have a Calculate button that, when clicked, will calculate the SEC Yield and display the results in the Results label.

Detailed Operation
      When the Calculate button is clicked, the system will validate that the Fund ID and As Of Date are valid.
      Valid is defined as:
      • A Fund ID is considered valid if the input value is a valid SQL Server smallint.
      • An As Of Date is considered valid if the input value is a valid SQL Server datetime.
      If either of the fields is invalid, a message will be displayed informing the user that the field’s input value is incorrect.
      If both of the fields are valid, the system will calculate the yield and, if the calculation is successfully completed, display it in the Results label rounded to 5 decimal places. If the calculation is not successful, the results label should read “Failure:” with the details of the failure concatenated onto the message.
      The application should gracefully handle calculation on any values that could be stored in the database (without modifying the schema). However, the calculation should only be considered successful if all of the following are true:
      • The calculation period contains 30 non-null SEC Gross Income values
      • The calculation period contains 30 non-null Net Expense values
      • The calculation period contains 30 non-null Shares Outstanding values
      • The offering price on the As Of Date is non-null, non-zero.
      If any of the conditions are not met, a failure message should be displayed.
        View Answer

1. How would you improve the application’s design, are there things that were not defined in the design that are necessary in meeting the applications objective? How would you go about uncovering these cases?

2. What determines when you are finished testing and ready to give your approval on the application? What things do you verify?

3. How would you suggest that the testing of this application be automated, would it be worth investing in a tool to improve the process?

4. How would you alter your test cases if this application were web based? (web browser application)