Amazon.com Quality Assurance Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 28, 2014

3.8

12 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2014.

Onsite interview for amazon silk QAE position, 4 technical which includes testing and coding exercise. 5th round HR. More behavioral questions on how would you deal with a situation. Questions on sum up all elements in a matrix and how to find a pair which sums up to a given element in an array. They are expecting optimized solution here.

Interview Questions
  • What will you do when you miss a dead line for a release.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Irvine, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in August 2013.

The position was advertised as a software quality assurance position. It turns out that the Amazon developers test their own code and the QA people are responsible for test automation and tool building. This is how Google and Facebook operate also. The industry has found that if you hire more testers, then the quality of the code decreases because the developers do not test at all. Holding developers accountable for the quality of their code instead of testers is the key. Writing tests needs to happen before coding starts - ideally automated unit tests such as test-driven development.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were about programming more appropriate for a developer. No questions about testing or quality assurance.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2011.

I applied on Amazon careers website around 1st April and got call from Amazon recuiter in 1 week around 6th April. I was scheduled for 1st phone interview on 8th April.

1st interview was nice. some questions I can recall are
    1) Asked me difference between class & object
    2) Abstract classes
    3) Hash Table
    4) Program to check for palindrome (made it easily in 5 mins)
    5) Black Box Testing
    6) White Box Testing
    7) ASked me how I will test my program
    8) Why I want to join Amazon
    9) Tools which I use currently,

Few days later I got mail frm recruiter for 2nd phone interview around 15th April

This one was bit tough but I answered nicely. some questions I can remember are

1) Design World Wide Web from scratch
    2) A webservice takes 10 secods for processing but 120 secs for data Transfer, how will you speed up the process (I mentioned parallel processing but he asked me to go beyond it) maybe faster internet smthing
    3) Gave me Fibonnacci Program to write (did it in 2 mins)
    4) Diff in white Box & Black Box Testing
    5) What happens when user types in Amazon.com home page URL in address bar.

2nd one was bit tough, But I gave pretty decent answers except the 1st one.... got mail from recruiter 2 days back that they are moving forward with other candidate :) better luck next time ....

Hope this help others ...

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in August 2010.

2 phone interviews and 1 on site. Recruiter was painfully slow to schedule an on site interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2010.

Initial contact was from the HR in response to my application for a QAE position. The phone interview was scheduled for 1 hour. The HR sent a generic email about the interview process stating that the interview will be technical covering areas of data structures, algorithms, coding/design. The position I was interviewing for was QAE which does not require programming expertise- so make sure you follow up with HR about the specific position's requirements.

The phone interview started 15 minutes late (and the interviewer never gave a reason nor apologized for the delay).

Interview Questions
    • Given an array of integers, how would you move the duplicate integers into a different array? What is the efficiency of your algorithm?   View Answer
    • How would you test the "Find" feature in an application such as MS Word?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2012.

5 Round.
    - Test case Enumeration
    - Scripting
    - Problem Solving
    - Bar Raiser
    - Hiring Manager

Interview Questions
    • All scripting and problem solving questions are difficult.   View Answer
    No negotiation. They gave better than i expected and i dont want to get greedy.

Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hyderābād (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2011.

Candidate will hae 5-6 rounds and will be subjected to different areas of testing like
    Test case enumeration
    Debugging and Problem Solving
    Scripting
    Hiring Manager

Interview Questions
    • There is no specific question as such which is difficult. But felt little uneasy when they focus on Data structures for a Quality Assurance Engineer which is not in my preparation.   Answer Question

Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hyderābād (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in December 2011.

Initially, the resume selection itself filters alot of candidates. You really have to be good at your work ex as well as education to get through this phase.

Once the resume goes through,

Interview Questions
    • There was this problem solving question on finding out the shadow length when the buildings were given in a particular fashion   Answer Question
    There weren't any negotiations...The offer made was very good.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2011.

there were five rounds of interview .. Starting with papper based test where you need to write java and scripting codes for the questions. More weightage is given to the optimized code. and than writing test cases for the same and trying to improve the code. Than few rounds on datastructure and logical reasoning

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions asked   View Answer
    nope there is no negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2012.

Totally 4 rounds were there

First Round(Written):
    1. An Address book in your mobile has its contacts syncd with the Internet.
       write test cases for this scenario.
    2. Find second smallest element in an array without sorting
    3. A Printer is connected to your laptop.But when trying to print a file it doesn’t print properly.
      i) How will you identify the problem?
      ii)What steps will you take to rectify them?
    4.write a program which should accept and integer and print output as below

endif
    if p>50
    print “p large”
    endif

They gave me a score of 16/25 in this round and so i was shortlisted.

2nd round(Technical+HR):

I was escorted to the interviewer’s room and she asked me the following questions.

Why Amazon?
    Why Testing?
    Test case for Mobile phonebook (which was asked in written)
    Test case for A4 sheet
    Test cases for Gmail.

Finally i was asked if i had any question.
    I asked if there is a possibility of switching from testing to development side after joining as QA.She said it will take atleast 1 year to switch over as Developer.

I gt eliminated in this round :(

Interview Questions

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!