Amazon.com Recruiter Interview Questions

Updated Oct 16, 2014

3.3

22 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I felt that the interview was a waste of my time. The entire process was pretty negative. They made it very clear what I didn't have and my lack of qualifications to try to prepare me for a low offer. I left the interview feeling like I had been hit by a car. It is not an interview. It is an interrogation to beat you down so low you accept a low ball offer. There are so many other companies that treat their employees better and pay at market rate.

Interview Questions
  • Give me another example (they wanted multiple examples)   Answer Question

super low offer

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Recruiter Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in May 2014.

Several phone interviews followed by an eventual face to face interview at the Amazon HQ. Every person was late to each of the 5 phone interviews (min. 3 minutes up to 10 minutes). During the face to face interview, I had people staring at their laptops as they asked questions, pausing only to catch up on their fast and furious typing. One interviewer was very arrogant and disrespectful (he stopped me in the middle of an answer to answer an email on his laptop). He has been there for 10 years and couldn't grasp the struggled with the concept of agency recruiting. Very set in his ways, his tone was condescending and pedantic.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a decision you made based on limited data. Give an example of something you did that was innovative. When was a time you made a decision that had multiple, possible decisions. What decision did you choose and why?   Answer Question

Disappointed in the compensation level.

Recruiter Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Reched out ot me for a postion after 2 phone interviews, never heard back from them, even after a follow up email.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I had a great experience interviewing at Amazon for a recruiting role. I had recieved a call from a sourcing recruiter who spoke with me a little about a technical recruiting position that had opened and she said that she would be interested in setting up a phone interview with the hiring manager. 1-2 days later we had a telephone interview set up and for the end of the week. The interview with the hiring manager was energizing and was like aconversation you would have liked to keep going if you could. Conversation about salemanship, customer service, and recruiting know how. Also went over the metrics of recruiting alittle. I felt good about the connection. The follwing week we shceduled an in person interview in Seattle with thte hiriung maanger and 3 others and I was provided with the address and other needed materials, job description etc. The interviews were all about 45 minutes and I met with 3 managers and one of the senior recruiters. They were great conversations and although I am usually really nervous but they made me feel comfortable. The take away from the interviews...recruiting at Amazon is challenge and opportunity but definitely worth it! Very professional and admirable interviews some took notes via laptops others jotted notes. I would be a pleasure to work with/for these managers.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about how you dealt with a mistake you have made?
      How do you handle missing a deadline?
        Answer Question
    Great, the offer was exactly what I had hoped for. No need to counter offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I was referred by a family member.
    The interview consisted of one initial phone interview followed by phone interviews with 2 additional Recruiters and the Hiring Manager.
    The Recruiters asked behavioral questions (describe a time when you had to complete a difficult task, have you ever had any disagreements with co-workers and how long I would stay with them). The hiring manager had questions about my gap in employment which lead to her believing that I would not "stay" with the company and would "move on" after immediately being hired.
    They also mentioned that I would have to convince them that I would stay for the required 1.5 years, but due to my background and education, the hiring manager was not convinced I would make that commitment.

Interview Questions
    • What are the things you did not like about your last job.   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

Long loops, sometimes interviewers with overlap questions, easy to connect with interviewers. Great accommodations flying to and staying in seattle, put you in small windowless rooms which was a little awkward

Interview Questions
    • A lot of negative based questions. "name one time you failed" and they keep pushing for more and more answers. very uncomfortable. Especially since I have rarely failed at something so there are only so many answers i can give.   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

You interview with several different people. Each person focuses on a different competency. You will need to be very descriptive with your answers because you may be interviewing with someone from a different field than your own.

Interview Questions
    • Be ready to speak to your volume, and how your measure your success and the success of the different pipelines you source from.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Very very lengthy, they use behavioral based interview questions to really dive deep into what your skill set is, what projects you've managed, how strategic and tactical you can be...

Interview Questions
    • All of them were tough; this is not a casual process for the super passive job seeker; you need to be prepared to speak to metrics, projects, specifics. Don't be intimidated; stay calm and really talk comfortably about your accomplishments and successes. Yet, don't be overconfident. Be able to be "vocally self critical" when appropriate.   Answer Question
    challenging but we got to a mutually agreed upon package

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2013.

Oh Dear Amazon... you can do better.

process: personal intro through existing amazon employee, one 20 minute phone call - very positive feedback. Then 3 weeks of emails suggesting I talk to so & so - but so & so never confirming a time. (The person's name changed each week, 'sorry so and so didn't make time, but actually talk to so & so instead...') Final step was on site interview for 5 or 6 hours.

Recruiters had clearly been coached on 'ownership' and 'customer experience' (yes, they consider their candidates customers) but of the 6 people I met during my onsite - only one of them gave it any heed. After an initial intro, they all laid out they would: "save 5 minutes for your (my) questions at the end"... by which point they were looking at their watches, and waving to the next interviewer hovering outside, clearly desperate to get back to their desks & get on with their work load. 4 of the 6 people I met told me they had 15 minutes of their day unscheduled that day... and it felt like your questions were biting into their desperately needed coffee break.

All but one of the interviewers sat with their laptop between them and I (hello, anyone know a thing or two about body language?!) Put it a little to the side, this is interpersonal skills 101! Most of them read their questions off their laptop screens, and as many other posters mention - their questions (all behavioral based) focused on the negative:

Tell me about a time you weren't able to deliver promised work.
    Tell me about your biggest failure in your last role.
    Tell me about a time you let your team down.
    Tell me about a time you made a mistake.
    Tell me about how you handle being overworked.

While it's important to investigate the negative, what about the positive too?! I got the sense they were totally stretched, and didn't have very understanding clients - and wanted to make sure their hires could handle the storm. Fair enough, I guess, but I came way relived to make it out the door - feeling it was nowhere I wanted to work! Not just because of the hard work, (hard work can be good) but because these people would be my colleagues & they weren't upholding the values the Jeff Bezos came up with & those values were the reasons I wanted to work there in the first place.

The icing on the cake? My point person - who they called a Closing Recruiter. We'd talked for 4 minutes the day before the interview, and he told me he was 'my recruiter' and asked if I had any questions. He spent 7 minutes with me on the day because 'he was running late for his next interview' (as the only impressive person I'd met that day had overrun). When he called to give me the feedback that 'they were going to keep looking' and he did so while on speakerphone. speakerphone!!

Interview Questions
    • It wasn't one question, but 3 of the recruiters questions covered very similar negative / failure area - and being asked to tell a different story than last time...   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

I had an onsite interview with 2 Sr. Recruiters at Seattle HQ's. I've also been contacted via email from a current Amazon HR Recruiter who never responded back after she reached me (extremely unprofessional).

Interview Questions
    • Main question was: "If you had an opening (i.e., Web Developer) what is the first thing you would do? What would your next step be?"   Answer Question