Amazon.com Recruiter Interview Questions

Updated Jul 25, 2014

3.2

19 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Recruiter Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Reched out ot me for a postion after 2 phone interviews, never heard back from them, even after a follow up email.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

I had a great experience interviewing at Amazon for a recruiting role. I had recieved a call from a sourcing recruiter who spoke with me a little about a technical recruiting position that had opened and she said that she would be interested in setting up a phone interview with the hiring manager. 1-2 days later we had a telephone interview set up and for the end of the week. The interview with the hiring manager was energizing and was like aconversation you would have liked to keep going if you could. Conversation about salemanship, customer service, and recruiting know how. Also went over the metrics of recruiting alittle. I felt good about the connection. The follwing week we shceduled an in person interview in Seattle with thte hiriung maanger and 3 others and I was provided with the address and other needed materials, job description etc. The interviews were all about 45 minutes and I met with 3 managers and one of the senior recruiters. They were great conversations and although I am usually really nervous but they made me feel comfortable. The take away from the interviews...recruiting at Amazon is challenge and opportunity but definitely worth it! Very professional and admirable interviews some took notes via laptops others jotted notes. I would be a pleasure to work with/for these managers.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about how you dealt with a mistake you have made?
      How do you handle missing a deadline?
        Answer Question
    Great, the offer was exactly what I had hoped for. No need to counter offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com.

I was referred by a family member.
    The interview consisted of one initial phone interview followed by phone interviews with 2 additional Recruiters and the Hiring Manager.
    The Recruiters asked behavioral questions (describe a time when you had to complete a difficult task, have you ever had any disagreements with co-workers and how long I would stay with them). The hiring manager had questions about my gap in employment which lead to her believing that I would not "stay" with the company and would "move on" after immediately being hired.
    They also mentioned that I would have to convince them that I would stay for the required 1.5 years, but due to my background and education, the hiring manager was not convinced I would make that commitment.

Interview Questions
    • What are the things you did not like about your last job.   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

You interview with several different people. Each person focuses on a different competency. You will need to be very descriptive with your answers because you may be interviewing with someone from a different field than your own.

Interview Questions
    • Be ready to speak to your volume, and how your measure your success and the success of the different pipelines you source from.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through other source. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Very very lengthy, they use behavioral based interview questions to really dive deep into what your skill set is, what projects you've managed, how strategic and tactical you can be...

Interview Questions
    • All of them were tough; this is not a casual process for the super passive job seeker; you need to be prepared to speak to metrics, projects, specifics. Don't be intimidated; stay calm and really talk comfortably about your accomplishments and successes. Yet, don't be overconfident. Be able to be "vocally self critical" when appropriate.   Answer Question
    challenging but we got to a mutually agreed upon package

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2013.

Oh Dear Amazon... you can do better.

process: personal intro through existing amazon employee, one 20 minute phone call - very positive feedback. Then 3 weeks of emails suggesting I talk to so & so - but so & so never confirming a time. (The person's name changed each week, 'sorry so and so didn't make time, but actually talk to so & so instead...') Final step was on site interview for 5 or 6 hours.

Recruiters had clearly been coached on 'ownership' and 'customer experience' (yes, they consider their candidates customers) but of the 6 people I met during my onsite - only one of them gave it any heed. After an initial intro, they all laid out they would: "save 5 minutes for your (my) questions at the end"... by which point they were looking at their watches, and waving to the next interviewer hovering outside, clearly desperate to get back to their desks & get on with their work load. 4 of the 6 people I met told me they had 15 minutes of their day unscheduled that day... and it felt like your questions were biting into their desperately needed coffee break.

All but one of the interviewers sat with their laptop between them and I (hello, anyone know a thing or two about body language?!) Put it a little to the side, this is interpersonal skills 101! Most of them read their questions off their laptop screens, and as many other posters mention - their questions (all behavioral based) focused on the negative:

Tell me about a time you weren't able to deliver promised work.
    Tell me about your biggest failure in your last role.
    Tell me about a time you let your team down.
    Tell me about a time you made a mistake.
    Tell me about how you handle being overworked.

While it's important to investigate the negative, what about the positive too?! I got the sense they were totally stretched, and didn't have very understanding clients - and wanted to make sure their hires could handle the storm. Fair enough, I guess, but I came way relived to make it out the door - feeling it was nowhere I wanted to work! Not just because of the hard work, (hard work can be good) but because these people would be my colleagues & they weren't upholding the values the Jeff Bezos came up with & those values were the reasons I wanted to work there in the first place.

The icing on the cake? My point person - who they called a Closing Recruiter. We'd talked for 4 minutes the day before the interview, and he told me he was 'my recruiter' and asked if I had any questions. He spent 7 minutes with me on the day because 'he was running late for his next interview' (as the only impressive person I'd met that day had overrun). When he called to give me the feedback that 'they were going to keep looking' and he did so while on speakerphone. speakerphone!!

Interview Questions
    • It wasn't one question, but 3 of the recruiters questions covered very similar negative / failure area - and being asked to tell a different story than last time...   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online - interviewed at Amazon.com.

I had an onsite interview with 2 Sr. Recruiters at Seattle HQ's. I've also been contacted via email from a current Amazon HR Recruiter who never responded back after she reached me (extremely unprofessional).

Interview Questions
    • Main question was: "If you had an opening (i.e., Web Developer) what is the first thing you would do? What would your next step be?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2012.

The two phone interviews were excellent and I was very interested in moving forward to the face to face interview. While my takeaway from the face to face was very poor, I remained impressed with the actual hiring manager throughout the process. I sadly cannot say that about the interview loop. The individuals were openly hostile (How would you, being from California, adapt to a culture that isn't egotistical like Californians?) ("I can see why you would want to relocate to Seattle from Los Angeles. LA is very dirty and disgusting") The list continues. When I questioned how a recruiter could keep candidate care at a high level with a requisition load of 50, he asked if I was afraid to work hard.

What I found interesting was that the interview loop is comprised of someone that is tasked with "raising the bar" which is a great process to have in place. What isn't so great is when you have someone from operations and supply chain tasked with asking me in human resources how I would raise the bar. This person, who was Director of Supply Chain, even indicated he didn't know why he was interviewing me as a raise the bar interviewer.

I found the structure of their talent acquisition organization poorly designed and was happy they didn't offer me the role as I would not have been inclined to join their team.

A friend of mine that works in the organization said it was best as the best employees in that team are "without kids" and can work day and night without any competing outside influences.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do to come in and improve our processes in staffing?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2012.

Three weeks after I had applied, I was granted a phone screen, but only because I had received an internal employee referral, which you will likely need as this is a very difficult corporation with which to make inroads.

The 30 minute phone screen was average in terms of both friendliness and difficulty level. I provided examples of my past work, successes and failures both, but was continually pressed for further detail and measurable "metrics." I did not seem to have the preferred qualifications, and I was clearly not giving the "right" answers. At the conclusion of the call, I fully assumed it would be the end of the road. However, a couple of days later I received a call from someone in HR, giving me a time to come in person, two days after that. I was told there would be four consecutive 1:1 interviews, 45 minutes each.

The best advice I can give to other candidates: prepare extremely thoroughly and be sure that you have memorized every detail of every job you've had, and most importantly, how it has affected the company's bottom line (in other words, how has it improved profits). Be especially prepared to describe all of your worst failures in great detail. They really want to hear a LOT about how you've fallen down and how you were able to fix the situation.

On the day, I was brought upstairs by a very friendly and engaging coordinator whose job seemed to be to “put me at ease.” The buildings and offices are all brand new and it feels like a modern, exciting place to be. I was shown to a conference room, where I stayed for the duration of my four interviews with four different people. The first and last interviews were the toughest, as the first was with a senior manager and the last was with the hiring manager. These two individuals asked the toughest questions and pushed me the furthest as far as wanting more examples and further detail. The third interview was actually very pleasant, as the interviewer was very friendly and genuine and seemed most empathetic with regard to being in a stressful interview situation. All four interviews were behavioral-based, asking questions of the "describe a time when you..." variety. The details I provided were never enough, and it was clear that my experiences were inadequate. The repeated response was "yes but, so....what was the RESULT?" Which translated as, "but how did you increase profits?"

It is absolutely true what they say about the interview being an opportunity for the candidate to "interview the company" as well. In this case, it was a very eye-opening experience, and I definitely left the building with the knowledge that it was not the company for me. I never received any kind of follow-up call or e-mail.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you have really failed at something important, what the result was, and how you fixed the situation.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you thought outside the box or did something innovative to positively impact the team you worked on.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2012.

The interview process was fairly straightforward and quick. I had the initial phone screen within a week of forwarding my resume through an employee within the org. Questions consisted of past and present work exp. This was followed by an on site in person interview lasting about 5 hours meeting with 6 different people - Recruiters, recruiting leads, HR.
    Questions involved behavioral based questions, Sourcing questions, sales questions and past and current experience based questions.
     Be prepared with lots of examples to support your answers and performance stats too.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you have identified a bottleneck in the process and introduced a change in process.   Answer Question

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!