Amazon.com Recruiter Interview Questions

Updated Jul 31, 2015

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Passed my resume to a recruiter via LinkedIn and was contacted a few days later to schedule an Initial Screening with the Hiring Manager. I was then invited to the Amazon HQ for 6 in-person interviews about 2 weeks later. The interviews were about 45 minutes each and focused on Amazon's leadership principles. I was surprised by the number of behavior based questions there were, the interviewers would really dive deep to get the specifics of each answer you gave, but it didn't feel like an interrogation it was more like a conversation, which was nice! It was clear that everyone I met was incredibly smart and really looking for "Amazon" personality fit at this point. My best advice is to study Amazon's leadership principles along with your resume and be ready to go into great detail about how you showcased those same principles, be open to sharing your thought process and support anecdotes with quantifiable data as much as possible.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had a goal and made a plan to accomplish it, but competing requirements got in the way? How'd you manage your other priorities? Did you meet your goal? Why or Why Not? What did you learn from it? If you could go back, how would you have done things differently? Why?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

Great. Amazon was in constant communication with me throughout the entire process. Although I was very intimated about the interview process after reading other reviews, I thought everyone was really friendly and tried their best to make me feel comfortable. At the end of the day it is an interview and you are going to be asked questions and then probing questions, so I can understand why some people have problems with their interviewing style but Amazon is a VERY UNIQUE place to work and they truly want to make sure you would be a good fit. After my onsite interview I heard back from them less than a week later with an offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I tried to negotiate my base salary, but they didn't budge.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

Telephone interview with recruiter for first round (positive impression); 2nd telephone interview with role manager who missed our originally scheduled time and had to reschedule the interview; 3rd telephone interview with another manager. 2 week break for scheduling onsite interview. Onsite interview consisted of 5 in-depth behavioral based interviews. Returned home and had another telephone interview. I felt the interview process challenged me but It's one thing to push people to excel and another to pontificate about expectations from high upon a mountain. I definitely felt a "chill" in the air. I felt compelled to want the opportunity from the shear challenge in the role - not because of the way the interviewer's made me feel through the interview process. I would suggest anyone preparing for this role go in with realistic expectations and be prepared to be humbled. The follow up communication following the onsite interview was not very good - took a week and a half to get a response back from my recruiter. The hiring manager really led me to believe that I was going to get this position and that did not happen.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you took a risk in one of your previous roles?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA).

Interview

What a mess. I was contacted on LinkedIn by a recruiter and we set up the initial phone screen. I talked to her and she seemed really excited about me, setting up a second round call while I was on the phone. She also mentioned since I work remotely another department may want me to, and copied me on an email to her colleague. The only person I ever heard back from was the very out of touch recruiter for the second round. She had no experience and couldn't keep her questions or responses straight. Not only did I get absolutely no response but for a large company I'm shocked by how unprofessional the folks representing the company are.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in February 2015.

Interview

5-6 phone interviews. Then an in person interview with 6 people. They flew me out and paid for interview expenses. The interview experience was nice. My only issue is the recruiter left me a voice mail letting me know I didn't get the position. She hasn't returned my calls. I took two days off of work to fly out and interview. The respectful thing would be to return my call regardless of the outcome. A voice mail is very unprofessional.

Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com in December 2014.

Interview

Amazon recruiter proactively reached out to me and set up recruiter screen. Recruiter screen went well, so submitted me to several of his recruiting managers with open positions. Unfortunately, the recruiting manager that was the most interested was a perfect example of the stereotypical Amazon long-termer (10 years); super aggressive and confrontational. She spent 10 minutes pontificating about how hardcore she is as a manager and how she prides herself on being "direct"and quick to fire someone, if she doesn't think they are a "good fit". When I asked her about the tenure of her reports, she admitted that everyone on her team has been there less than a year... I knew very early in the interview, that I would never be willing to work for her. I believe she could tell and also declined.

Interview Questions

• How is recruiting @ Amazon better than @ your current employer?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I felt that the interview was a waste of my time. The entire process was pretty negative. They made it very clear what I didn't have and my lack of qualifications to try to prepare me for a low offer. I left the interview feeling like I had been hit by a car. It is not an interview. It is an interrogation to beat you down so low you accept a low ball offer. There are so many other companies that treat their employees better and pay at market rate.

Interview Questions

• Give me another example (they wanted multiple examples)   Answer Question

super low offer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in August 2014.

Interview

Was contacted repeatedly on linkedin by both agency and amazon recruiters about positions there (if you have the word recruiter anywhere on your LI profile and live in Seattle expect to be contacted once or twice a week until eternity by Amazon). Ended up responding and working with an internal amazon recruiter for recruiters, did an initial phone screen with her, then did two more phone screens with two other recruiters before being brought in for a panel interview with 6 people. It took a week afterwards to get to the offer negotiation stage, and I ended up pulling myself from the process at that point because it was very clear to me in my onsite visit that it wasn't a good fit or a healthy place to work as a recruiter.

Interview Questions

• What Amazon core value do you most identify with?   1 Answer

Was concerned about work/life balance, 4 out of the 6 people I talked to seemed absolutely defeated/unhappy when I was talking to them, it was a very strange vibe on that team and it was clear they worked very long hours.

Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com in May 2014.

Interview

Several phone interviews followed by an eventual face to face interview at the Amazon HQ. Every person was late to each of the 5 phone interviews (min. 3 minutes up to 10 minutes). During the face to face interview, I had people staring at their laptops as they asked questions, pausing only to catch up on their fast and furious typing. One interviewer was very arrogant and disrespectful (he stopped me in the middle of an answer to answer an email on his laptop). He has been there for 10 years and couldn't grasp the struggled with the concept of agency recruiting. Very set in his ways, his tone was condescending and pedantic.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a decision you made based on limited data. Give an example of something you did that was innovative. When was a time you made a decision that had multiple, possible decisions. What decision did you choose and why?   Answer Question

Disappointed in the compensation level.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in May 2014.

Interview

I applied and within three hours I received an email from a recruiter. She scheduled a phone interview with her for the following day. When I spoke with her she was clearly reading from a list of interview questions. She did not seem to be very knowledgeable of the Amazon practices. I had two fairly basic questions about job growth potential and a high level benefits questions and she was unable to answer those questions. She said she would find out the answer and email me. She emailed and followed up asking me to do another phone interview with three different people and then ended up doing an in person interview but still never answered my questions. It was a fast process but felt like they were elusive answering some of my questions.

Interview Questions

• What is the most challenging thing about your job now? How do you currently source candidates?   Answer Question