Amazon.com Recruiter Interview Questions

Updated Mar 16, 2015
Updated Mar 16, 2015

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Very very lengthy, they use behavioral based interview questions to really dive deep into what your skill set is, what projects you've managed, how strategic and tactical you can be...

Interview Questions
  • All of them were tough; this is not a casual process for the super passive job seeker; you need to be prepared to speak to metrics, projects, specifics. Don't be intimidated; stay calm and really talk comfortably about your accomplishments and successes. Yet, don't be overconfident. Be able to be "vocally self critical" when appropriate.   Answer Question
challenging but we got to a mutually agreed upon package

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Recruiter Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

You interview with several different people. Each person focuses on a different competency. You will need to be very descriptive with your answers because you may be interviewing with someone from a different field than your own.

Interview Questions
    • Be ready to speak to your volume, and how your measure your success and the success of the different pipelines you source from.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I had a great experience interviewing at Amazon for a recruiting role. I had recieved a call from a sourcing recruiter who spoke with me a little about a technical recruiting position that had opened and she said that she would be interested in setting up a phone interview with the hiring manager. 1-2 days later we had a telephone interview set up and for the end of the week. The interview with the hiring manager was energizing and was like aconversation you would have liked to keep going if you could. Conversation about salemanship, customer service, and recruiting know how. Also went over the metrics of recruiting alittle. I felt good about the connection. The follwing week we shceduled an in person interview in Seattle with thte hiriung maanger and 3 others and I was provided with the address and other needed materials, job description etc. The interviews were all about 45 minutes and I met with 3 managers and one of the senior recruiters. They were great conversations and although I am usually really nervous but they made me feel comfortable. The take away from the interviews...recruiting at Amazon is challenge and opportunity but definitely worth it! Very professional and admirable interviews some took notes via laptops others jotted notes. I would be a pleasure to work with/for these managers.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about how you dealt with a mistake you have made?
      How do you handle missing a deadline?

Answer Question
    Great, the offer was exactly what I had hoped for. No need to counter offer.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in August 2010.

Interview wasn't as bad as everyone says. People were nice. It was kind of crazy though - everyone kept saying how high their bar is and how smart everyone is at Amazon...it came across as "high and mighty". Interview was really long, had to shuttle between buildings. I had lunch with the manager, but the manager didn't even eat - that was really awkward. They also said sometime during the interview, "if you're a top performer, work life balance shouldn't matter to you."

Interview Questions
    • What would your manager say is an area of opportunity for you?   View Answer

The culture just wasn't for me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2012.

The interview process was fairly straightforward and quick. I had the initial phone screen within a week of forwarding my resume through an employee within the org. Questions consisted of past and present work exp. This was followed by an on site in person interview lasting about 5 hours meeting with 6 different people - Recruiters, recruiting leads, HR.
    Questions involved behavioral based questions, Sourcing questions, sales questions and past and current experience based questions.
     Be prepared with lots of examples to support your answers and performance stats too.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you have identified a bottleneck in the process and introduced a change in process.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2012.

Three weeks after I had applied, I was granted a phone screen, but only because I had received an internal employee referral, which you will likely need as this is a very difficult corporation with which to make inroads.

The 30 minute phone screen was average in terms of both friendliness and difficulty level. I provided examples of my past work, successes and failures both, but was continually pressed for further detail and measurable "metrics." I did not seem to have the preferred qualifications, and I was clearly not giving the "right" answers. At the conclusion of the call, I fully assumed it would be the end of the road. However, a couple of days later I received a call from someone in HR, giving me a time to come in person, two days after that. I was told there would be four consecutive 1:1 interviews, 45 minutes each.

The best advice I can give to other candidates: prepare extremely thoroughly and be sure that you have memorized every detail of every job you've had, and most importantly, how it has affected the company's bottom line (in other words, how has it improved profits). Be especially prepared to describe all of your worst failures in great detail. They really want to hear a LOT about how you've fallen down and how you were able to fix the situation.

On the day, I was brought upstairs by a very friendly and engaging coordinator whose job seemed to be to “put me at ease.” The buildings and offices are all brand new and it feels like a modern, exciting place to be. I was shown to a conference room, where I stayed for the duration of my four interviews with four different people. The first and last interviews were the toughest, as the first was with a senior manager and the last was with the hiring manager. These two individuals asked the toughest questions and pushed me the furthest as far as wanting more examples and further detail. The third interview was actually very pleasant, as the interviewer was very friendly and genuine and seemed most empathetic with regard to being in a stressful interview situation. All four interviews were behavioral-based, asking questions of the "describe a time when you..." variety. The details I provided were never enough, and it was clear that my experiences were inadequate. The repeated response was "yes but, so....what was the RESULT?" Which translated as, "but how did you increase profits?"

It is absolutely true what they say about the interview being an opportunity for the candidate to "interview the company" as well. In this case, it was a very eye-opening experience, and I definitely left the building with the knowledge that it was not the company for me. I never received any kind of follow-up call or e-mail.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you have really failed at something important, what the result was, and how you fixed the situation.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you thought outside the box or did something innovative to positively impact the team you worked on.   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

Long loops, sometimes interviewers with overlap questions, easy to connect with interviewers. Great accommodations flying to and staying in seattle, put you in small windowless rooms which was a little awkward

Interview Questions
    • A lot of negative based questions. "name one time you failed" and they keep pushing for more and more answers. very uncomfortable. Especially since I have rarely failed at something so there are only so many answers i can give.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I felt that the interview was a waste of my time. The entire process was pretty negative. They made it very clear what I didn't have and my lack of qualifications to try to prepare me for a low offer. I left the interview feeling like I had been hit by a car. It is not an interview. It is an interrogation to beat you down so low you accept a low ball offer. There are so many other companies that treat their employees better and pay at market rate.

Interview Questions
    • Give me another example (they wanted multiple examples)   Answer Question

super low offer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in May 2011.

Phone interview from agency, followed by phone interview with someone from Amazon, then a half-day onsite interview series with several individuals one-on-one. Most interviewers were pleasant, one was the most vile, disgusting, rude, offensive and obnoxious woman I have ever met. I really felt sorry for her. Somehow she traded in her humanity for her job at Amazon. I give her the benefit of the doubt that someday she will realize there is a difference between asking challenging questions and asking questions in an offensive and abrasive manner.

Interview Questions
    • Not really a difficult question, but what was unexpected is that one of the interviewers would Google the answers to many of my questions in real time to see if what I was telling them was really factual. Such as "which industry leaders do you follow on a regular basis". She would then search for those individuals blogs and background and quiz me about them.
      I was also asked to write some boolean search strings. Mine were much more advanced than most people would ever use, or at least what the interviewer was familiar with. She insisted what I wrote was invalid until she tried them out.

Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in December 2014.

Had an internal referral and got a call screen within 3 days. Call screen was fine. Couple of days later got called for interview on site. Had answers prepared relating to all the leadership principles. Five different people interviewed me, back to back, which can be very intense for some.

They all seemed to ask the same questions so it's almost a test of perseverance and patience I guess.

Most annoying part of the process was them all clacking away on their ancient clunky looking notebooks. I thought they were taking notes, but I found out afterwards they're usually instant messaging one another.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really threw me to be honest, it was all the usual stuff, very operational. I was expecting the 'think outside the box google-esque' type questions but didnt get any.   Answer Question