Amazon.com

Average Difficulty
18 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Very Difficult Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied through other source and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – Very very lengthy, they use behavioral based interview questions to really dive deep into what your skill set is, what projects you've managed, how strategic and tactical you can be...

Interview Question – All of them were tough; this is not a casual process for the super passive job seeker; you need to be prepared to speak to metrics, projects, specifics. Don't be intimidated; stay calm and really talk comfortably about your accomplishments and successes. Yet, don't be overconfident. Be able to be "vocally self critical" when appropriate.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – challenging but we got to a mutually agreed upon package

Recruiter

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – You interview with several different people. Each person focuses on a different competency. You will need to be very descriptive with your answers because you may be interviewing with someone from a different field than your own.

Interview Question – Be ready to speak to your volume, and how your measure your success and the success of the different pipelines you source from.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – I had a great experience interviewing at Amazon for a recruiting role. I had recieved a call from a sourcing recruiter who spoke with me a little about a technical recruiting position that had opened and she said that she would be interested in setting up a phone interview with the hiring manager. 1-2 days later we had a telephone interview set up and for the end of the week. The interview with the hiring manager was energizing and was like aconversation you would have liked to keep going if you could. Conversation about salemanship, customer service, and recruiting know how. Also went over the metrics of recruiting alittle. I felt good about the connection. The follwing week we shceduled an in person interview in Seattle with thte hiriung maanger and 3 others and I was provided with the address and other needed materials, job description etc. The interviews were all about 45 minutes and I met with 3 managers and one of the senior recruiters. They were great conversations and although I am usually really nervous but they made me feel comfortable. The take away from the interviews...recruiting at Amazon is challenge and opportunity but definitely worth it! Very professional and admirable interviews some took notes via laptops others jotted notes. I would be a pleasure to work with/for these managers.

Interview Question – Tell me about how you dealt with a mistake you have made?
How do you handle missing a deadline?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Great, the offer was exactly what I had hoped for. No need to counter offer.

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in August 2010.

Interview Details – Interview wasn't as bad as everyone says. People were nice. It was kind of crazy though - everyone kept saying how high their bar is and how smart everyone is at Amazon...it came across as "high and mighty". Interview was really long, had to shuttle between buildings. I had lunch with the manager, but the manager didn't even eat - that was really awkward. They also said sometime during the interview, "if you're a top performer, work life balance shouldn't matter to you."

Interview Question – What would your manager say is an area of opportunity for you?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – The culture just wasn't for me.

Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process was fairly straightforward and quick. I had the initial phone screen within a week of forwarding my resume through an employee within the org. Questions consisted of past and present work exp. This was followed by an on site in person interview lasting about 5 hours meeting with 6 different people - Recruiters, recruiting leads, HR.
Questions involved behavioral based questions, Sourcing questions, sales questions and past and current experience based questions.
 Be prepared with lots of examples to support your answers and performance stats too.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you have identified a bottleneck in the process and introduced a change in process.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2012.

Interview Details – Three weeks after I had applied, I was granted a phone screen, but only because I had received an internal employee referral, which you will likely need as this is a very difficult corporation with which to make inroads.

The 30 minute phone screen was average in terms of both friendliness and difficulty level. I provided examples of my past work, successes and failures both, but was continually pressed for further detail and measurable "metrics." I did not seem to have the preferred qualifications, and I was clearly not giving the "right" answers. At the conclusion of the call, I fully assumed it would be the end of the road. However, a couple of days later I received a call from someone in HR, giving me a time to come in person, two days after that. I was told there would be four consecutive 1:1 interviews, 45 minutes each.

The best advice I can give to other candidates: prepare extremely thoroughly and be sure that you have memorized every detail of every job you've had, and most importantly, how it has affected the company's bottom line (in other words, how has it improved profits). Be especially prepared to describe all of your worst failures in great detail. They really want to hear a LOT about how you've fallen down and how you were able to fix the situation.

On the day, I was brought upstairs by a very friendly and engaging coordinator whose job seemed to be to “put me at ease.” The buildings and offices are all brand new and it feels like a modern, exciting place to be. I was shown to a conference room, where I stayed for the duration of my four interviews with four different people. The first and last interviews were the toughest, as the first was with a senior manager and the last was with the hiring manager. These two individuals asked the toughest questions and pushed me the furthest as far as wanting more examples and further detail. The third interview was actually very pleasant, as the interviewer was very friendly and genuine and seemed most empathetic with regard to being in a stressful interview situation. All four interviews were behavioral-based, asking questions of the "describe a time when you..." variety. The details I provided were never enough, and it was clear that my experiences were inadequate. The repeated response was "yes but, so....what was the RESULT?" Which translated as, "but how did you increase profits?"

It is absolutely true what they say about the interview being an opportunity for the candidate to "interview the company" as well. In this case, it was a very eye-opening experience, and I definitely left the building with the knowledge that it was not the company for me. I never received any kind of follow-up call or e-mail.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you have really failed at something important, what the result was, and how you fixed the situation.   Answer Question
  • Describe a time when you thought outside the box or did something innovative to positively impact the team you worked on.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2012.

Interview Details – The two phone interviews were excellent and I was very interested in moving forward to the face to face interview. While my takeaway from the face to face was very poor, I remained impressed with the actual hiring manager throughout the process. I sadly cannot say that about the interview loop. The individuals were openly hostile (How would you, being from California, adapt to a culture that isn't egotistical like Californians?) ("I can see why you would want to relocate to Seattle from Los Angeles. LA is very dirty and disgusting") The list continues. When I questioned how a recruiter could keep candidate care at a high level with a requisition load of 50, he asked if I was afraid to work hard.

What I found interesting was that the interview loop is comprised of someone that is tasked with "raising the bar" which is a great process to have in place. What isn't so great is when you have someone from operations and supply chain tasked with asking me in human resources how I would raise the bar. This person, who was Director of Supply Chain, even indicated he didn't know why he was interviewing me as a raise the bar interviewer.

I found the structure of their talent acquisition organization poorly designed and was happy they didn't offer me the role as I would not have been inclined to join their team.

A friend of mine that works in the organization said it was best as the best employees in that team are "without kids" and can work day and night without any competing outside influences.

Interview Question – What would you do to come in and improve our processes in staffing?   View Answer

Recruiting Interview

Recruiting

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2012.

Interview Details – The whole experience was pretty chaotic and disorganised and did a pretty poor job of selling Amazon as an employer.

Very slow to pick up initial CV (almost three weeks). Initial scheduled telephone interview did not happen, I simply did not receive a call. After two days of chasing I finally got a call back and we rescheduled. I then had two very long phone interviews which covered all of the same ground followed by a trip to Luxembourg for five back-to-back interviews which covered it all again.

All of the interviews consisted of the same old-school competency based questions: "Can you give me an example of..." Besides the fact that this is incredibly old fashioned, it also makes for a very dull experience as you're effectively repeating yourself. If all five interviewers are going to ask all the same questions, why don't they just do a panel interview?

Nobody at Amazon seemed to want to sell the job to me - everyone made it sound pretty miserable! I was not shown around the site, merely kept in a small interview room for over three hours. At lunchtime, I was not taken to lunch or looked after in any way, just left to go and find myself something in a strange city with only 30 minutes. Pretty uninviting experience.

I was told countless times that they are struggling to fill the job but nobody there seems to understand that they are not selling it at all well and do not seem to be clear what they're looking for, as a lot of the other comments here suggest. The job spec bears little resemblance to the job as it was described at interview.

I was not surprised or disappointed to be told a few days later that they had "identified a more suitable candidate". Strangely, they are still re-advertising the role a month later!

I responded (both to the Recruiter and the HR Manager) asking for some general feedback and was so imply ignored. Personally, I consider this pretty appalling after taking up two days of my time. I submitted my expenses and had to chase three times just to get an acknowledgement. Over a month later, I am still waiting to be reimbursed.

For a company who claim to be customer focused and place value on the candidate experience, it was a pretty pathetic one.

Interview Question – Can you give me an example of ...x... in the form of a totally data-driven answer?   View Answer

Recruiting Interview

Recruiting
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2011.

Interview Details – The first interview was about a 45 minute phone interview. Recruiter was very nice and it was a comfortable conversation revolving around skills that would match with position and my career goals. The second, a week later, was onsite, I met with about 5 people for 45min-1hr each back to back. All interviewers were friendly and this was one of the first interviews that I left impressed with the company. Some of the interviewers were asking about my skills and career goals, others talked more about the position and company than asking me questions, and others actually did scenarios of job requirements. In the end they were pretty conversational interviews and it seemed they quickly determined skills matched and were mostly looking for cultural fit. It was encouraging to hear that they liked their employees to move around to different areas of the company. I also spoke with a range of people who had been there for a year to 11 years, so got different perspectives and all seemed happy. Overall I really liked the people, but they did seem stressed with the huge company growth.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of tasks to complete for the day, how would you prioritize each item?   Answer Question
  • From your work history, what previous position is most like the one you are apply for?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The money was good (signing bonus, pay, and stocks), however, this was an hourly position so you accrue 5 days of vacation the first year and get 6 personal days. They told me the time off was non-negotiable, this would have been huge drop from my current 1wk of sick and 4wks vacation annually. They said they can usually work out a day or two here and there by just flexing my schedule, but due to pre-planned vacations, weddings etc I already had over two weeks of time off needed in the next year and if sick time was needed I was sunk. Had they been able to offer 10 days of vacation or if I was able to secure a salaried position (those start at 10 days vacation) I would have been happy to join the company and will likely keep an eye out for other opportunities.

Recruiter

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2011.

Interview Details – Being a recruiter myself and have never been so dissapointed with a company's recruiting practices. I had done a phone interview for contract Recruiter position at Amazon in September. The recruiter liked me and called me in to meet a team of 5 other people including the hiring manager. I didn't have any issues with the scheduling and I was able to meet everyone. The last interview was with the hiring manager and she mentioned to me that she would consider me for both contract or FTE roles in her team. She finished the interview letting me know that the recruiter would be in touch with me in the next couple days about next steps.

I didnt hear back from the Amazon recruiter for atleast 7-8 days after the interview. When he finally called me it was on Friday night around 8pm. I wasnt able to pick up the phone so he left a message for me to call him. I called him first thing on Monday and was not able to reach him on the phone or over email. After playing phone tag for a couple more days, I was finally able to reach him on phone and he let me know that they were still in discussion about me for the contract position. I told him I was still interested in the contract role and also mentioned to him that I had found that week that I was pregnant. Once I mentioned that to the recruiter he said "Oh" and said he would get back to me about further feedback. I never heard back from them about the position or feedback.

I don't think I will interview with Amazon anytime soon.

Interview Question – Tell me about a specific time in your recruiting career where you have been in a difficult situation.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Amazon.com

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!

Amazon.com Videos

Amazon.com – Why Work for Us?

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amazon.com Recruiter interview questions and advice. All 18 interview reviews posted anonymously by Amazon.com employees and interview candidates.