Amazon.com Recruiter Interview Questions

Updated Jul 25, 2014

3.2

19 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Recruiter Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Reched out ot me for a postion after 2 phone interviews, never heard back from them, even after a follow up email.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Recruiter Interview

Two phone interviews - second all competency based.

Recruiter Interview

Gorgeous building, hipster-ville, I was totally out of place dressed in a suit. Lots of security, and the interviewer was nice but aloof. Interview was very basic - the second person never showed up to the interview (which should have been a sign) - they said they would make their decision by the end of the week, however they never got back to me.

Interview Questions
    • You have 5 different tasks (she listed them out) - how do you proceed with your day?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dulles, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dulles, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2010.

So-So. Recruiters are always 1st face, didnt do anything for me, if anything, it gave me an idea of what the group would be like.

Interview Questions

I got an initial email from the recruiter and he and I talked about my experience and what I have been doing. He said, looks like a fit and I will set up with the hiring manager, which turns out to also be a SR. Recruiter. man, Ive always thought recruiting is the 1st face /impression, she was just blah, and maybe its the culture of, if youre not here yet, why should you be or I am better than you. That was a big turn off.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com.

I was referred by a family member.
    The interview consisted of one initial phone interview followed by phone interviews with 2 additional Recruiters and the Hiring Manager.
    The Recruiters asked behavioral questions (describe a time when you had to complete a difficult task, have you ever had any disagreements with co-workers and how long I would stay with them). The hiring manager had questions about my gap in employment which lead to her believing that I would not "stay" with the company and would "move on" after immediately being hired.
    They also mentioned that I would have to convince them that I would stay for the required 1.5 years, but due to my background and education, the hiring manager was not convinced I would make that commitment.

Interview Questions
    • What are the things you did not like about your last job.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2013.

Oh Dear Amazon... you can do better.

process: personal intro through existing amazon employee, one 20 minute phone call - very positive feedback. Then 3 weeks of emails suggesting I talk to so & so - but so & so never confirming a time. (The person's name changed each week, 'sorry so and so didn't make time, but actually talk to so & so instead...') Final step was on site interview for 5 or 6 hours.

Recruiters had clearly been coached on 'ownership' and 'customer experience' (yes, they consider their candidates customers) but of the 6 people I met during my onsite - only one of them gave it any heed. After an initial intro, they all laid out they would: "save 5 minutes for your (my) questions at the end"... by which point they were looking at their watches, and waving to the next interviewer hovering outside, clearly desperate to get back to their desks & get on with their work load. 4 of the 6 people I met told me they had 15 minutes of their day unscheduled that day... and it felt like your questions were biting into their desperately needed coffee break.

All but one of the interviewers sat with their laptop between them and I (hello, anyone know a thing or two about body language?!) Put it a little to the side, this is interpersonal skills 101! Most of them read their questions off their laptop screens, and as many other posters mention - their questions (all behavioral based) focused on the negative:

Tell me about a time you weren't able to deliver promised work.
    Tell me about your biggest failure in your last role.
    Tell me about a time you let your team down.
    Tell me about a time you made a mistake.
    Tell me about how you handle being overworked.

While it's important to investigate the negative, what about the positive too?! I got the sense they were totally stretched, and didn't have very understanding clients - and wanted to make sure their hires could handle the storm. Fair enough, I guess, but I came way relived to make it out the door - feeling it was nowhere I wanted to work! Not just because of the hard work, (hard work can be good) but because these people would be my colleagues & they weren't upholding the values the Jeff Bezos came up with & those values were the reasons I wanted to work there in the first place.

The icing on the cake? My point person - who they called a Closing Recruiter. We'd talked for 4 minutes the day before the interview, and he told me he was 'my recruiter' and asked if I had any questions. He spent 7 minutes with me on the day because 'he was running late for his next interview' (as the only impressive person I'd met that day had overrun). When he called to give me the feedback that 'they were going to keep looking' and he did so while on speakerphone. speakerphone!!

Interview Questions
    • It wasn't one question, but 3 of the recruiters questions covered very similar negative / failure area - and being asked to tell a different story than last time...   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online - interviewed at Amazon.com.

I had an onsite interview with 2 Sr. Recruiters at Seattle HQ's. I've also been contacted via email from a current Amazon HR Recruiter who never responded back after she reached me (extremely unprofessional).

Interview Questions
    • Main question was: "If you had an opening (i.e., Web Developer) what is the first thing you would do? What would your next step be?"   Answer Question

Recruiting Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2012.

The whole experience was pretty chaotic and disorganised and did a pretty poor job of selling Amazon as an employer.

Very slow to pick up initial CV (almost three weeks). Initial scheduled telephone interview did not happen, I simply did not receive a call. After two days of chasing I finally got a call back and we rescheduled. I then had two very long phone interviews which covered all of the same ground followed by a trip to Luxembourg for five back-to-back interviews which covered it all again.

All of the interviews consisted of the same old-school competency based questions: "Can you give me an example of..." Besides the fact that this is incredibly old fashioned, it also makes for a very dull experience as you're effectively repeating yourself. If all five interviewers are going to ask all the same questions, why don't they just do a panel interview?

Nobody at Amazon seemed to want to sell the job to me - everyone made it sound pretty miserable! I was not shown around the site, merely kept in a small interview room for over three hours. At lunchtime, I was not taken to lunch or looked after in any way, just left to go and find myself something in a strange city with only 30 minutes. Pretty uninviting experience.

I was told countless times that they are struggling to fill the job but nobody there seems to understand that they are not selling it at all well and do not seem to be clear what they're looking for, as a lot of the other comments here suggest. The job spec bears little resemblance to the job as it was described at interview.

I was not surprised or disappointed to be told a few days later that they had "identified a more suitable candidate". Strangely, they are still re-advertising the role a month later!

I responded (both to the Recruiter and the HR Manager) asking for some general feedback and was so imply ignored. Personally, I consider this pretty appalling after taking up two days of my time. I submitted my expenses and had to chase three times just to get an acknowledgement. Over a month later, I am still waiting to be reimbursed.

For a company who claim to be customer focused and place value on the candidate experience, it was a pretty pathetic one.

Interview Questions
    • Can you give me an example of ...x... in the form of a totally data-driven answer?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2012.

The two phone interviews were excellent and I was very interested in moving forward to the face to face interview. While my takeaway from the face to face was very poor, I remained impressed with the actual hiring manager throughout the process. I sadly cannot say that about the interview loop. The individuals were openly hostile (How would you, being from California, adapt to a culture that isn't egotistical like Californians?) ("I can see why you would want to relocate to Seattle from Los Angeles. LA is very dirty and disgusting") The list continues. When I questioned how a recruiter could keep candidate care at a high level with a requisition load of 50, he asked if I was afraid to work hard.

What I found interesting was that the interview loop is comprised of someone that is tasked with "raising the bar" which is a great process to have in place. What isn't so great is when you have someone from operations and supply chain tasked with asking me in human resources how I would raise the bar. This person, who was Director of Supply Chain, even indicated he didn't know why he was interviewing me as a raise the bar interviewer.

I found the structure of their talent acquisition organization poorly designed and was happy they didn't offer me the role as I would not have been inclined to join their team.

A friend of mine that works in the organization said it was best as the best employees in that team are "without kids" and can work day and night without any competing outside influences.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do to come in and improve our processes in staffing?   View Answer

Recruiter Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2011.

Being a recruiter myself and have never been so dissapointed with a company's recruiting practices. I had done a phone interview for contract Recruiter position at Amazon in September. The recruiter liked me and called me in to meet a team of 5 other people including the hiring manager. I didn't have any issues with the scheduling and I was able to meet everyone. The last interview was with the hiring manager and she mentioned to me that she would consider me for both contract or FTE roles in her team. She finished the interview letting me know that the recruiter would be in touch with me in the next couple days about next steps.

I didnt hear back from the Amazon recruiter for atleast 7-8 days after the interview. When he finally called me it was on Friday night around 8pm. I wasnt able to pick up the phone so he left a message for me to call him. I called him first thing on Monday and was not able to reach him on the phone or over email. After playing phone tag for a couple more days, I was finally able to reach him on phone and he let me know that they were still in discussion about me for the contract position. I told him I was still interested in the contract role and also mentioned to him that I had found that week that I was pregnant. Once I mentioned that to the recruiter he said "Oh" and said he would get back to me about further feedback. I never heard back from them about the position or feedback.

I don't think I will interview with Amazon anytime soon.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a specific time in your recruiting career where you have been in a difficult situation.   Answer Question

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!