Amazon.com Recruiter Interview Questions

Updated Jul 18, 2015

3.2

Recruiter Interview

Interview

Gorgeous building, hipster-ville, I was totally out of place dressed in a suit. Lots of security, and the interviewer was nice but aloof. Interview was very basic - the second person never showed up to the interview (which should have been a sign) - they said they would make their decision by the end of the week, however they never got back to me.

Interview Questions

• You have 5 different tasks (she listed them out) - how do you proceed with your day?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

Reched out ot me for a postion after 2 phone interviews, never heard back from them, even after a follow up email.

Recruiter Interview

Interview

Two phone interviews - second all competency based.

Anonymous Employee in Dulles, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Amazon.com (Dulles, VA) in October 2010.

Interview

So-So. Recruiters are always 1st face, didnt do anything for me, if anything, it gave me an idea of what the group would be like.

Interview Questions

I got an initial email from the recruiter and he and I talked about my experience and what I have been doing. He said, looks like a fit and I will set up with the hiring manager, which turns out to also be a SR. Recruiter. man, Ive always thought recruiting is the 1st face /impression, she was just blah, and maybe its the culture of, if youre not here yet, why should you be or I am better than you. That was a big turn off.

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Paris (France)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Amazon.com (Paris (France)) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied on the company website, I didn't go through all the procedure, they called me and asked me one questions : what is your nationality ! and since I am not a European citizen, and even if I have the requested competences, they said that they can't do anything about it... in my opinin this is discrimination !

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Amazon.com (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in July 2014.

Interview

I was introduced to Amazon by a Staffing Agency. I was extremely excited about the possibility of working for Amazon. The interview was very unprofessional and the questions were for the most part irrelevant. At some point I felt he was not even paying attention to me. Before we got to the table to begin the interview I knew I did not want to work for/with this person.

Interview Questions

• Do you like living in Vancouver?   1 Answer
    • Please give me samples of boolean searches for a software developer.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I was referred by a family member. The interview consisted of one initial phone interview followed by phone interviews with 2 additional Recruiters and the Hiring Manager. The Recruiters asked behavioral questions (describe a time when you had to complete a difficult task, have you ever had any disagreements with co-workers and how long I would stay with them). The hiring manager had questions about my gap in employment which lead to her believing that I would not "stay" with the company and would "move on" after immediately being hired. They also mentioned that I would have to convince them that I would stay for the required 1.5 years, but due to my background and education, the hiring manager was not convinced I would make that commitment.

Interview Questions

• What are the things you did not like about your last job.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in May 2014.

Interview

I applied and within three hours I received an email from a recruiter. She scheduled a phone interview with her for the following day. When I spoke with her she was clearly reading from a list of interview questions. She did not seem to be very knowledgeable of the Amazon practices. I had two fairly basic questions about job growth potential and a high level benefits questions and she was unable to answer those questions. She said she would find out the answer and email me. She emailed and followed up asking me to do another phone interview with three different people and then ended up doing an in person interview but still never answered my questions. It was a fast process but felt like they were elusive answering some of my questions.

Interview Questions

• What is the most challenging thing about your job now? How do you currently source candidates?   Answer Question

Recruiting Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in June 2012.

Interview

The whole experience was pretty chaotic and disorganised and did a pretty poor job of selling Amazon as an employer. Very slow to pick up initial CV (almost three weeks). Initial scheduled telephone interview did not happen, I simply did not receive a call. After two days of chasing I finally got a call back and we rescheduled. I then had two very long phone interviews which covered all of the same ground followed by a trip to Luxembourg for five back-to-back interviews which covered it all again. All of the interviews consisted of the same old-school competency based questions: "Can you give me an example of..." Besides the fact that this is incredibly old fashioned, it also makes for a very dull experience as you're effectively repeating yourself. If all five interviewers are going to ask all the same questions, why don't they just do a panel interview? Nobody at Amazon seemed to want to sell the job to me - everyone made it sound pretty miserable! I was not shown around the site, merely kept in a small interview room for over three hours. At lunchtime, I was not taken to lunch or looked after in any way, just left to go and find myself something in a strange city with only 30 minutes. Pretty uninviting experience. I was told countless times that they are struggling to fill the job but nobody there seems to understand that they are not selling it at all well and do not seem to be clear what they're looking for, as a lot of the other comments here suggest. The job spec bears little resemblance to the job as it was described at interview. I was not surprised or disappointed to be told a few days later that they had "identified a more suitable candidate". Strangely, they are still re-advertising the role a month later! I responded (both to the Recruiter and the HR Manager) asking for some general feedback and was so imply ignored. Personally, I consider this pretty appalling after taking up two days of my time. I submitted my expenses and had to chase three times just to get an acknowledgement. Over a month later, I am still waiting to be reimbursed. For a company who claim to be customer focused and place value on the candidate experience, it was a pretty pathetic one.

Interview Questions

• Can you give me an example of ...x... in the form of a totally data-driven answer?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in February 2013.

Interview

Oh Dear Amazon... you can do better. process: personal intro through existing amazon employee, one 20 minute phone call - very positive feedback. Then 3 weeks of emails suggesting I talk to so & so - but so & so never confirming a time. (The person's name changed each week, 'sorry so and so didn't make time, but actually talk to so & so instead...') Final step was on site interview for 5 or 6 hours. Recruiters had clearly been coached on 'ownership' and 'customer experience' (yes, they consider their candidates customers) but of the 6 people I met during my onsite - only one of them gave it any heed. After an initial intro, they all laid out they would: "save 5 minutes for your (my) questions at the end"... by which point they were looking at their watches, and waving to the next interviewer hovering outside, clearly desperate to get back to their desks & get on with their work load. 4 of the 6 people I met told me they had 15 minutes of their day unscheduled that day... and it felt like your questions were biting into their desperately needed coffee break. All but one of the interviewers sat with their laptop between them and I (hello, anyone know a thing or two about body language?!) Put it a little to the side, this is interpersonal skills 101! Most of them read their questions off their laptop screens, and as many other posters mention - their questions (all behavioral based) focused on the negative: Tell me about a time you weren't able to deliver promised work. Tell me about your biggest failure in your last role. Tell me about a time you let your team down. Tell me about a time you made a mistake. Tell me about how you handle being overworked. While it's important to investigate the negative, what about the positive too?! I got the sense they were totally stretched, and didn't have very understanding clients - and wanted to make sure their hires could handle the storm. Fair enough, I guess, but I came way relived to make it out the door - feeling it was nowhere I wanted to work! Not just because of the hard work, (hard work can be good) but because these people would be my colleagues & they weren't upholding the values the Jeff Bezos came up with & those values were the reasons I wanted to work there in the first place. The icing on the cake? My point person - who they called a Closing Recruiter. We'd talked for 4 minutes the day before the interview, and he told me he was 'my recruiter' and asked if I had any questions. He spent 7 minutes with me on the day because 'he was running late for his next interview' (as the only impressive person I'd met that day had overrun). When he called to give me the feedback that 'they were going to keep looking' and he did so while on speakerphone. speakerphone!!

Interview Questions

• It wasn't one question, but 3 of the recruiters questions covered very similar negative / failure area - and being asked to tell a different story than last time...   Answer Question