Amazon.com Recruiter Interview Questions

Updated Oct 16, 2014

3.3

22 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Recruiter Interview

Gorgeous building, hipster-ville, I was totally out of place dressed in a suit. Lots of security, and the interviewer was nice but aloof. Interview was very basic - the second person never showed up to the interview (which should have been a sign) - they said they would make their decision by the end of the week, however they never got back to me.

Interview Questions
  • You have 5 different tasks (she listed them out) - how do you proceed with your day?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Recruiter Interview

Two phone interviews - second all competency based.

Recruiter Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Reched out ot me for a postion after 2 phone interviews, never heard back from them, even after a follow up email.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dulles, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dulles, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in October 2010.

So-So. Recruiters are always 1st face, didnt do anything for me, if anything, it gave me an idea of what the group would be like.

Interview Questions

I got an initial email from the recruiter and he and I talked about my experience and what I have been doing. He said, looks like a fit and I will set up with the hiring manager, which turns out to also be a SR. Recruiter. man, Ive always thought recruiting is the 1st face /impression, she was just blah, and maybe its the culture of, if youre not here yet, why should you be or I am better than you. That was a big turn off.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I was referred by a family member.
    The interview consisted of one initial phone interview followed by phone interviews with 2 additional Recruiters and the Hiring Manager.
    The Recruiters asked behavioral questions (describe a time when you had to complete a difficult task, have you ever had any disagreements with co-workers and how long I would stay with them). The hiring manager had questions about my gap in employment which lead to her believing that I would not "stay" with the company and would "move on" after immediately being hired.
    They also mentioned that I would have to convince them that I would stay for the required 1.5 years, but due to my background and education, the hiring manager was not convinced I would make that commitment.

Interview Questions
    • What are the things you did not like about your last job.   Answer Question

Recruiting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2011.

The first interview was about a 45 minute phone interview. Recruiter was very nice and it was a comfortable conversation revolving around skills that would match with position and my career goals. The second, a week later, was onsite, I met with about 5 people for 45min-1hr each back to back. All interviewers were friendly and this was one of the first interviews that I left impressed with the company. Some of the interviewers were asking about my skills and career goals, others talked more about the position and company than asking me questions, and others actually did scenarios of job requirements. In the end they were pretty conversational interviews and it seemed they quickly determined skills matched and were mostly looking for cultural fit. It was encouraging to hear that they liked their employees to move around to different areas of the company. I also spoke with a range of people who had been there for a year to 11 years, so got different perspectives and all seemed happy. Overall I really liked the people, but they did seem stressed with the huge company growth.

Interview Questions
    • Given a list of tasks to complete for the day, how would you prioritize each item?   Answer Question
    • From your work history, what previous position is most like the one you are apply for?   Answer Question

The money was good (signing bonus, pay, and stocks), however, this was an hourly position so you accrue 5 days of vacation the first year and get 6 personal days. They told me the time off was non-negotiable, this would have been huge drop from my current 1wk of sick and 4wks vacation annually. They said they can usually work out a day or two here and there by just flexing my schedule, but due to pre-planned vacations, weddings etc I already had over two weeks of time off needed in the next year and if sick time was needed I was sunk. Had they been able to offer 10 days of vacation or if I was able to secure a salaried position (those start at 10 days vacation) I would have been happy to join the company and will likely keep an eye out for other opportunities.

Recruiter Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2011.

Being a recruiter myself and have never been so dissapointed with a company's recruiting practices. I had done a phone interview for contract Recruiter position at Amazon in September. The recruiter liked me and called me in to meet a team of 5 other people including the hiring manager. I didn't have any issues with the scheduling and I was able to meet everyone. The last interview was with the hiring manager and she mentioned to me that she would consider me for both contract or FTE roles in her team. She finished the interview letting me know that the recruiter would be in touch with me in the next couple days about next steps.

I didnt hear back from the Amazon recruiter for atleast 7-8 days after the interview. When he finally called me it was on Friday night around 8pm. I wasnt able to pick up the phone so he left a message for me to call him. I called him first thing on Monday and was not able to reach him on the phone or over email. After playing phone tag for a couple more days, I was finally able to reach him on phone and he let me know that they were still in discussion about me for the contract position. I told him I was still interested in the contract role and also mentioned to him that I had found that week that I was pregnant. Once I mentioned that to the recruiter he said "Oh" and said he would get back to me about further feedback. I never heard back from them about the position or feedback.

I don't think I will interview with Amazon anytime soon.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a specific time in your recruiting career where you have been in a difficult situation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in July 2010.

Currently still in process. Started with two 30-45 minute phone interviews with two different recruiters over a period of three weeks. Next step is in person interviews in Seattle. The recruiters have been very informative and professional. It's been enjoyable to this point.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time that you worked with a difficult client, how you handled it and the outcome.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2012.

The two phone interviews were excellent and I was very interested in moving forward to the face to face interview. While my takeaway from the face to face was very poor, I remained impressed with the actual hiring manager throughout the process. I sadly cannot say that about the interview loop. The individuals were openly hostile (How would you, being from California, adapt to a culture that isn't egotistical like Californians?) ("I can see why you would want to relocate to Seattle from Los Angeles. LA is very dirty and disgusting") The list continues. When I questioned how a recruiter could keep candidate care at a high level with a requisition load of 50, he asked if I was afraid to work hard.

What I found interesting was that the interview loop is comprised of someone that is tasked with "raising the bar" which is a great process to have in place. What isn't so great is when you have someone from operations and supply chain tasked with asking me in human resources how I would raise the bar. This person, who was Director of Supply Chain, even indicated he didn't know why he was interviewing me as a raise the bar interviewer.

I found the structure of their talent acquisition organization poorly designed and was happy they didn't offer me the role as I would not have been inclined to join their team.

A friend of mine that works in the organization said it was best as the best employees in that team are "without kids" and can work day and night without any competing outside influences.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do to come in and improve our processes in staffing?   View Answer

Recruiting Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in June 2012.

The whole experience was pretty chaotic and disorganised and did a pretty poor job of selling Amazon as an employer.

Very slow to pick up initial CV (almost three weeks). Initial scheduled telephone interview did not happen, I simply did not receive a call. After two days of chasing I finally got a call back and we rescheduled. I then had two very long phone interviews which covered all of the same ground followed by a trip to Luxembourg for five back-to-back interviews which covered it all again.

All of the interviews consisted of the same old-school competency based questions: "Can you give me an example of..." Besides the fact that this is incredibly old fashioned, it also makes for a very dull experience as you're effectively repeating yourself. If all five interviewers are going to ask all the same questions, why don't they just do a panel interview?

Nobody at Amazon seemed to want to sell the job to me - everyone made it sound pretty miserable! I was not shown around the site, merely kept in a small interview room for over three hours. At lunchtime, I was not taken to lunch or looked after in any way, just left to go and find myself something in a strange city with only 30 minutes. Pretty uninviting experience.

I was told countless times that they are struggling to fill the job but nobody there seems to understand that they are not selling it at all well and do not seem to be clear what they're looking for, as a lot of the other comments here suggest. The job spec bears little resemblance to the job as it was described at interview.

I was not surprised or disappointed to be told a few days later that they had "identified a more suitable candidate". Strangely, they are still re-advertising the role a month later!

I responded (both to the Recruiter and the HR Manager) asking for some general feedback and was so imply ignored. Personally, I consider this pretty appalling after taking up two days of my time. I submitted my expenses and had to chase three times just to get an acknowledgement. Over a month later, I am still waiting to be reimbursed.

For a company who claim to be customer focused and place value on the candidate experience, it was a pretty pathetic one.

Interview Questions
    • Can you give me an example of ...x... in the form of a totally data-driven answer?   View Answer