Amazon.com Recruiter Interview Questions

Updated Jul 31, 2015

3.6

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

Great. Amazon was in constant communication with me throughout the entire process. Although I was very intimated about the interview process after reading other reviews, I thought everyone was really friendly and tried their best to make me feel comfortable. At the end of the day it is an interview and you are going to be asked questions and then probing questions, so I can understand why some people have problems with their interviewing style but Amazon is a VERY UNIQUE place to work and they truly want to make sure you would be a good fit. After my onsite interview I heard back from them less than a week later with an offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I tried to negotiate my base salary, but they didn't budge.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in May 2014.

Interview

I applied and within three hours I received an email from a recruiter. She scheduled a phone interview with her for the following day. When I spoke with her she was clearly reading from a list of interview questions. She did not seem to be very knowledgeable of the Amazon practices. I had two fairly basic questions about job growth potential and a high level benefits questions and she was unable to answer those questions. She said she would find out the answer and email me. She emailed and followed up asking me to do another phone interview with three different people and then ended up doing an in person interview but still never answered my questions. It was a fast process but felt like they were elusive answering some of my questions.

Interview Questions

• What is the most challenging thing about your job now? How do you currently source candidates?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in May 2012.

Interview

Tough and lengthy. I spoke to a lot of people on the phone, and meet with a lot of people onsite for an IC role. You meet with HM, Human Resources, Peers, other Managers, someone outside of organization. Be prepared for a long day, and the schedule will change likely.

Interview Questions

• Ability to deal with ambiguity, innovation, customer obsession   1 Answer

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in April 2014.

Interview

2 telephone interviews, followed by a single onsite day with 5 interviewers consecutively. Each interviewer focused on different functional areas of the job, and different cultural aspects that the company values. I was in one location and the interviewers came to me, one by one. There was some overlap in the questions and answers; I tried to give new situations to similar questions so they would have multiple datapoints for their review of my candidacy.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you changed an existing situation or process?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Passed my resume to a recruiter via LinkedIn and was contacted a few days later to schedule an Initial Screening with the Hiring Manager. I was then invited to the Amazon HQ for 6 in-person interviews about 2 weeks later. The interviews were about 45 minutes each and focused on Amazon's leadership principles. I was surprised by the number of behavior based questions there were, the interviewers would really dive deep to get the specifics of each answer you gave, but it didn't feel like an interrogation it was more like a conversation, which was nice! It was clear that everyone I met was incredibly smart and really looking for "Amazon" personality fit at this point. My best advice is to study Amazon's leadership principles along with your resume and be ready to go into great detail about how you showcased those same principles, be open to sharing your thought process and support anecdotes with quantifiable data as much as possible.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had a goal and made a plan to accomplish it, but competing requirements got in the way? How'd you manage your other priorities? Did you meet your goal? Why or Why Not? What did you learn from it? If you could go back, how would you have done things differently? Why?   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

I applied online and soon received an email asking to complete a pre-interview questionnaire - this contained questions around my motivation and biggest achievements + my salary expectations and other career opportunities I am considering. Shortly after submitting that I was contacted by a Recruiting coordinator setting up a phone interview with the manager of the team. The interview was very professional, the manager gave me a lot of information about the company and their recent projects and explained the role in detail. He asked me to do a brief overview of my experience and asked me just 2 questions but both of them were performance-based and very broad so that I had the chance to showcase my skills and achievements. Later the same day I got an email that the interview was successful and they set up another phone call with an internal customer. I knew Amazon does this - interviewing recruiters not only by other recruiters and HRs but also by business leaders and future internal clients (Hiring managers) and I really admire this approach. It is important that the internal customers also participate in choosing their future counterparts. The business leader I spoke with left me with a very strong impression of somebody who is passionate about recruitment and passive talent (something you definitely can't say about every HM out there) and asked me very relevant questions. They were actually interested in how I would approach the role and its challenges once I start and not so much in what I have done so far. A week after I was told I was successful and they wanted me to fly to the office for a day of in-person interviews. It took us about 1-2 weeks to sync our calendars but at the end Amazon accommodated my timing and flight requests perfectly. The whole travel was perfectly arranged and the hotel was great, I had all the info I needed so I didn't need to worry about anything else than my own interview performance. During the onsite, I had 5 interviews with people from Recruitment, HR and again representatives (on a high management level) from the business. I have read about the Amazon Bar Raiser programme and expected one of the business leaders to play this role but actually didn't feel anything like that during any of the interviews. The respective person was super friendly and informal and we had a great chat about the challenges of recruitment. I actually didn't feel that I had a bar raiser in the interview mix at all... All people I met were very welcoming, open and easy-going. They put a lot of time and effort in answering my questions, many of them started the interviews with that instead of leaving time for questions at the end and often I felt like I was interviewing Amazon and not vice versa :) The interview style was very competency-based and performance-based oriented with almost all standard questions around achievements, failures, difficult customers, persuasive skills and thinking on your feet. Be sure you come prepared with a lot of examples and most importantly - details! They will ask you a lot of follow-up and "What you could do differently?" types of questions. I also had a lunch meeting with a team member who was an absolute delight to speak with and I got the chance to ask a lot of off-the-record questions. I received feedback 2 days later that they would like to make an offer and got the offer the day after.

Interview Questions

• All competency-based and performance-based questions you could think of! Nothing really surprising.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in August 2014.

Interview

Was contacted repeatedly on linkedin by both agency and amazon recruiters about positions there (if you have the word recruiter anywhere on your LI profile and live in Seattle expect to be contacted once or twice a week until eternity by Amazon). Ended up responding and working with an internal amazon recruiter for recruiters, did an initial phone screen with her, then did two more phone screens with two other recruiters before being brought in for a panel interview with 6 people. It took a week afterwards to get to the offer negotiation stage, and I ended up pulling myself from the process at that point because it was very clear to me in my onsite visit that it wasn't a good fit or a healthy place to work as a recruiter.

Interview Questions

• What Amazon core value do you most identify with?   1 Answer

Was concerned about work/life balance, 4 out of the 6 people I talked to seemed absolutely defeated/unhappy when I was talking to them, it was a very strange vibe on that team and it was clear they worked very long hours.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I felt that the interview was a waste of my time. The entire process was pretty negative. They made it very clear what I didn't have and my lack of qualifications to try to prepare me for a low offer. I left the interview feeling like I had been hit by a car. It is not an interview. It is an interrogation to beat you down so low you accept a low ball offer. There are so many other companies that treat their employees better and pay at market rate.

Interview Questions

• Give me another example (they wanted multiple examples)   Answer Question

super low offer

Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

Interview

Long loops, sometimes interviewers with overlap questions, easy to connect with interviewers. Great accommodations flying to and staying in seattle, put you in small windowless rooms which was a little awkward

Interview Questions

• A lot of negative based questions. "name one time you failed" and they keep pushing for more and more answers. very uncomfortable. Especially since I have rarely failed at something so there are only so many answers i can give.   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com in May 2014.

Interview

Several phone interviews followed by an eventual face to face interview at the Amazon HQ. Every person was late to each of the 5 phone interviews (min. 3 minutes up to 10 minutes). During the face to face interview, I had people staring at their laptops as they asked questions, pausing only to catch up on their fast and furious typing. One interviewer was very arrogant and disrespectful (he stopped me in the middle of an answer to answer an email on his laptop). He has been there for 10 years and couldn't grasp the struggled with the concept of agency recruiting. Very set in his ways, his tone was condescending and pedantic.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a decision you made based on limited data. Give an example of something you did that was innovative. When was a time you made a decision that had multiple, possible decisions. What decision did you choose and why?   Answer Question

Disappointed in the compensation level.