Amazon.com

Updated Dec 10, 2014

3.3

24 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

I had an onsite interview with 2 Sr. Recruiters at Seattle HQ's. I've also been contacted via email from a current Amazon HR Recruiter who never responded back after she reached me (extremely unprofessional).

Interview Questions
  • Main question was: "If you had an opening (i.e., Web Developer) what is the first thing you would do? What would your next step be?"   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2012.

Three weeks after I had applied, I was granted a phone screen, but only because I had received an internal employee referral, which you will likely need as this is a very difficult corporation with which to make inroads.

The 30 minute phone screen was average in terms of both friendliness and difficulty level. I provided examples of my past work, successes and failures both, but was continually pressed for further detail and measurable "metrics." I did not seem to have the preferred qualifications, and I was clearly not giving the "right" answers. At the conclusion of the call, I fully assumed it would be the end of the road. However, a couple of days later I received a call from someone in HR, giving me a time to come in person, two days after that. I was told there would be four consecutive 1:1 interviews, 45 minutes each.

The best advice I can give to other candidates: prepare extremely thoroughly and be sure that you have memorized every detail of every job you've had, and most importantly, how it has affected the company's bottom line (in other words, how has it improved profits). Be especially prepared to describe all of your worst failures in great detail. They really want to hear a LOT about how you've fallen down and how you were able to fix the situation.

On the day, I was brought upstairs by a very friendly and engaging coordinator whose job seemed to be to “put me at ease.” The buildings and offices are all brand new and it feels like a modern, exciting place to be. I was shown to a conference room, where I stayed for the duration of my four interviews with four different people. The first and last interviews were the toughest, as the first was with a senior manager and the last was with the hiring manager. These two individuals asked the toughest questions and pushed me the furthest as far as wanting more examples and further detail. The third interview was actually very pleasant, as the interviewer was very friendly and genuine and seemed most empathetic with regard to being in a stressful interview situation. All four interviews were behavioral-based, asking questions of the "describe a time when you..." variety. The details I provided were never enough, and it was clear that my experiences were inadequate. The repeated response was "yes but, so....what was the RESULT?" Which translated as, "but how did you increase profits?"

It is absolutely true what they say about the interview being an opportunity for the candidate to "interview the company" as well. In this case, it was a very eye-opening experience, and I definitely left the building with the knowledge that it was not the company for me. I never received any kind of follow-up call or e-mail.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you have really failed at something important, what the result was, and how you fixed the situation.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you thought outside the box or did something innovative to positively impact the team you worked on.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2012.

The two phone interviews were excellent and I was very interested in moving forward to the face to face interview. While my takeaway from the face to face was very poor, I remained impressed with the actual hiring manager throughout the process. I sadly cannot say that about the interview loop. The individuals were openly hostile (How would you, being from California, adapt to a culture that isn't egotistical like Californians?) ("I can see why you would want to relocate to Seattle from Los Angeles. LA is very dirty and disgusting") The list continues. When I questioned how a recruiter could keep candidate care at a high level with a requisition load of 50, he asked if I was afraid to work hard.

What I found interesting was that the interview loop is comprised of someone that is tasked with "raising the bar" which is a great process to have in place. What isn't so great is when you have someone from operations and supply chain tasked with asking me in human resources how I would raise the bar. This person, who was Director of Supply Chain, even indicated he didn't know why he was interviewing me as a raise the bar interviewer.

I found the structure of their talent acquisition organization poorly designed and was happy they didn't offer me the role as I would not have been inclined to join their team.

A friend of mine that works in the organization said it was best as the best employees in that team are "without kids" and can work day and night without any competing outside influences.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do to come in and improve our processes in staffing?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2012.

The interview process was fairly straightforward and quick. I had the initial phone screen within a week of forwarding my resume through an employee within the org. Questions consisted of past and present work exp. This was followed by an on site in person interview lasting about 5 hours meeting with 6 different people - Recruiters, recruiting leads, HR.
    Questions involved behavioral based questions, Sourcing questions, sales questions and past and current experience based questions.
     Be prepared with lots of examples to support your answers and performance stats too.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you have identified a bottleneck in the process and introduced a change in process.   Answer Question

Recruiting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2011.

The first interview was about a 45 minute phone interview. Recruiter was very nice and it was a comfortable conversation revolving around skills that would match with position and my career goals. The second, a week later, was onsite, I met with about 5 people for 45min-1hr each back to back. All interviewers were friendly and this was one of the first interviews that I left impressed with the company. Some of the interviewers were asking about my skills and career goals, others talked more about the position and company than asking me questions, and others actually did scenarios of job requirements. In the end they were pretty conversational interviews and it seemed they quickly determined skills matched and were mostly looking for cultural fit. It was encouraging to hear that they liked their employees to move around to different areas of the company. I also spoke with a range of people who had been there for a year to 11 years, so got different perspectives and all seemed happy. Overall I really liked the people, but they did seem stressed with the huge company growth.

Interview Questions
    • Given a list of tasks to complete for the day, how would you prioritize each item?   Answer Question
    • From your work history, what previous position is most like the one you are apply for?   Answer Question

The money was good (signing bonus, pay, and stocks), however, this was an hourly position so you accrue 5 days of vacation the first year and get 6 personal days. They told me the time off was non-negotiable, this would have been huge drop from my current 1wk of sick and 4wks vacation annually. They said they can usually work out a day or two here and there by just flexing my schedule, but due to pre-planned vacations, weddings etc I already had over two weeks of time off needed in the next year and if sick time was needed I was sunk. Had they been able to offer 10 days of vacation or if I was able to secure a salaried position (those start at 10 days vacation) I would have been happy to join the company and will likely keep an eye out for other opportunities.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in May 2011.

Phone interview from agency, followed by phone interview with someone from Amazon, then a half-day onsite interview series with several individuals one-on-one. Most interviewers were pleasant, one was the most vile, disgusting, rude, offensive and obnoxious woman I have ever met. I really felt sorry for her. Somehow she traded in her humanity for her job at Amazon. I give her the benefit of the doubt that someday she will realize there is a difference between asking challenging questions and asking questions in an offensive and abrasive manner.

Interview Questions
    • Not really a difficult question, but what was unexpected is that one of the interviewers would Google the answers to many of my questions in real time to see if what I was telling them was really factual. Such as "which industry leaders do you follow on a regular basis". She would then search for those individuals blogs and background and quiz me about them.
      I was also asked to write some boolean search strings. Mine were much more advanced than most people would ever use, or at least what the interviewer was familiar with. She insisted what I wrote was invalid until she tried them out.

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dulles, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dulles, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in October 2010.

So-So. Recruiters are always 1st face, didnt do anything for me, if anything, it gave me an idea of what the group would be like.

Interview Questions

I got an initial email from the recruiter and he and I talked about my experience and what I have been doing. He said, looks like a fit and I will set up with the hiring manager, which turns out to also be a SR. Recruiter. man, Ive always thought recruiting is the 1st face /impression, she was just blah, and maybe its the culture of, if youre not here yet, why should you be or I am better than you. That was a big turn off.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in August 2010.

Interview wasn't as bad as everyone says. People were nice. It was kind of crazy though - everyone kept saying how high their bar is and how smart everyone is at Amazon...it came across as "high and mighty". Interview was really long, had to shuttle between buildings. I had lunch with the manager, but the manager didn't even eat - that was really awkward. They also said sometime during the interview, "if you're a top performer, work life balance shouldn't matter to you."

Interview Questions
    • What would your manager say is an area of opportunity for you?   View Answer

The culture just wasn't for me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in July 2010.

Currently still in process. Started with two 30-45 minute phone interviews with two different recruiters over a period of three weeks. Next step is in person interviews in Seattle. The recruiters have been very informative and professional. It's been enjoyable to this point.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time that you worked with a difficult client, how you handled it and the outcome.   Answer Question

Recruitment Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Luxembourg (Luxembourg)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Luxembourg (Luxembourg)

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com in July 2014.

A Recruitment Coordinator was assigned in my application and would get in touch with me for any notification or clarification with regards to the application.

The Recruitment Coordinator appears to be professional in her communication and though I found it organized, I would have done it differently if I was on the other end of the court.

There was a long mail, an attachment on schedule of availability for you to fill-up. Phone interview was conducted for about 25 - 30 minutes by the Recruitment Manager. I was told at the end of the interview that they will update me whatever outcome there is - but have not heard from them til to date.

What I found to be interesting is that - they seem not well-informed with regards to people who needs work permit for cases who are non EU citizens but are residents in Luxembourg. Nonetheless, I just feel they should be much more knowledgeable as it will help the recruitment process easier and of course considering that they are in the profession where it is must to know such scenario.

But overall, it was satisfactory in the sense that the communication was clear, the agreed schedule was prompt and the quesries I asked were answered.

Interview Questions
    • It is the usual behavioral questions aiming to find out your skills, attitude and stand pertaining to your field. Remember to review your CV, reflect on past experiences demonstrating how you handle a difficult situation or your accomplishments. Be prepared with - what is your expected salary for this position and why AMAZON.   Answer Question