Amazon.com Recruiter Interview Questions

Updated Jul 6, 2015

3.3

Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in December 2014.

Interview

Amazon recruiter proactively reached out to me and set up recruiter screen. Recruiter screen went well, so submitted me to several of his recruiting managers with open positions. Unfortunately, the recruiting manager that was the most interested was a perfect example of the stereotypical Amazon long-termer (10 years); super aggressive and confrontational. She spent 10 minutes pontificating about how hardcore she is as a manager and how she prides herself on being "direct"and quick to fire someone, if she doesn't think they are a "good fit". When I asked her about the tenure of her reports, she admitted that everyone on her team has been there less than a year... I knew very early in the interview, that I would never be willing to work for her. I believe she could tell and also declined.

Interview Questions

• How is recruiting @ Amazon better than @ your current employer?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in May 2011.

Interview

Phone interview from agency, followed by phone interview with someone from Amazon, then a half-day onsite interview series with several individuals one-on-one. Most interviewers were pleasant, one was the most vile, disgusting, rude, offensive and obnoxious woman I have ever met. I really felt sorry for her. Somehow she traded in her humanity for her job at Amazon. I give her the benefit of the doubt that someday she will realize there is a difference between asking challenging questions and asking questions in an offensive and abrasive manner.

Interview Questions

• Not really a difficult question, but what was unexpected is that one of the interviewers would Google the answers to many of my questions in real time to see if what I was telling them was really factual. Such as "which industry leaders do you follow on a regular basis". She would then search for those individuals blogs and background and quiz me about them.
      I was also asked to write some boolean search strings. Mine were much more advanced than most people would ever use, or at least what the interviewer was familiar with. She insisted what I wrote was invalid until she tried them out.

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in August 2014.

Interview

Was contacted repeatedly on linkedin by both agency and amazon recruiters about positions there (if you have the word recruiter anywhere on your LI profile and live in Seattle expect to be contacted once or twice a week until eternity by Amazon). Ended up responding and working with an internal amazon recruiter for recruiters, did an initial phone screen with her, then did two more phone screens with two other recruiters before being brought in for a panel interview with 6 people.

It took a week afterwards to get to the offer negotiation stage, and I ended up pulling myself from the process at that point because it was very clear to me in my onsite visit that it wasn't a good fit or a healthy place to work as a recruiter.

Interview Questions

• What Amazon core value do you most identify with?   1 Answer

Was concerned about work/life balance, 4 out of the 6 people I talked to seemed absolutely defeated/unhappy when I was talking to them, it was a very strange vibe on that team and it was clear they worked very long hours.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I felt that the interview was a waste of my time. The entire process was pretty negative. They made it very clear what I didn't have and my lack of qualifications to try to prepare me for a low offer. I left the interview feeling like I had been hit by a car. It is not an interview. It is an interrogation to beat you down so low you accept a low ball offer. There are so many other companies that treat their employees better and pay at market rate.

Interview Questions

• Give me another example (they wanted multiple examples)   Answer Question

super low offer

Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

Interview

Long loops, sometimes interviewers with overlap questions, easy to connect with interviewers. Great accommodations flying to and staying in seattle, put you in small windowless rooms which was a little awkward

Interview Questions

• A lot of negative based questions. "name one time you failed" and they keep pushing for more and more answers. very uncomfortable. Especially since I have rarely failed at something so there are only so many answers i can give.   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in May 2014.

Interview

Several phone interviews followed by an eventual face to face interview at the Amazon HQ. Every person was late to each of the 5 phone interviews (min. 3 minutes up to 10 minutes). During the face to face interview, I had people staring at their laptops as they asked questions, pausing only to catch up on their fast and furious typing. One interviewer was very arrogant and disrespectful (he stopped me in the middle of an answer to answer an email on his laptop). He has been there for 10 years and couldn't grasp the struggled with the concept of agency recruiting. Very set in his ways, his tone was condescending and pedantic.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a decision you made based on limited data. Give an example of something you did that was innovative. When was a time you made a decision that had multiple, possible decisions. What decision did you choose and why?   Answer Question

Disappointed in the compensation level.

Recruitment Interview

Anonymous Employee in Luxembourg (Luxembourg)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com (Luxembourg (Luxembourg)) in July 2014.

Interview

A Recruitment Coordinator was assigned in my application and would get in touch with me for any notification or clarification with regards to the application.

The Recruitment Coordinator appears to be professional in her communication and though I found it organized, I would have done it differently if I was on the other end of the court.

There was a long mail, an attachment on schedule of availability for you to fill-up. Phone interview was conducted for about 25 - 30 minutes by the Recruitment Manager. I was told at the end of the interview that they will update me whatever outcome there is - but have not heard from them til to date.

What I found to be interesting is that - they seem not well-informed with regards to people who needs work permit for cases who are non EU citizens but are residents in Luxembourg. Nonetheless, I just feel they should be much more knowledgeable as it will help the recruitment process easier and of course considering that they are in the profession where it is must to know such scenario.

But overall, it was satisfactory in the sense that the communication was clear, the agreed schedule was prompt and the quesries I asked were answered.

Interview Questions

• It is the usual behavioral questions aiming to find out your skills, attitude and stand pertaining to your field. Remember to review your CV, reflect on past experiences demonstrating how you handle a difficult situation or your accomplishments. Be prepared with - what is your expected salary for this position and why AMAZON.   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

Reched out ot me for a postion after 2 phone interviews, never heard back from them, even after a follow up email.

Recruiter Interview

Interview

Two phone interviews - second all competency based.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I had a great experience interviewing at Amazon for a recruiting role. I had recieved a call from a sourcing recruiter who spoke with me a little about a technical recruiting position that had opened and she said that she would be interested in setting up a phone interview with the hiring manager. 1-2 days later we had a telephone interview set up and for the end of the week. The interview with the hiring manager was energizing and was like aconversation you would have liked to keep going if you could. Conversation about salemanship, customer service, and recruiting know how. Also went over the metrics of recruiting alittle. I felt good about the connection. The follwing week we shceduled an in person interview in Seattle with thte hiriung maanger and 3 others and I was provided with the address and other needed materials, job description etc. The interviews were all about 45 minutes and I met with 3 managers and one of the senior recruiters. They were great conversations and although I am usually really nervous but they made me feel comfortable. The take away from the interviews...recruiting at Amazon is challenge and opportunity but definitely worth it! Very professional and admirable interviews some took notes via laptops others jotted notes. I would be a pleasure to work with/for these managers.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about how you dealt with a mistake you have made?
      How do you handle missing a deadline?

Answer Question

Negotiation

Great, the offer was exactly what I had hoped for. No need to counter offer.