Amazon.com

Updated Feb 22, 2015
Updated Feb 22, 2015

3.3

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through other source – interviewed at Amazon.com.

What a mess. I was contacted on LinkedIn by a recruiter and we set up the initial phone screen. I talked to her and she seemed really excited about me, setting up a second round call while I was on the phone. She also mentioned since I work remotely another department may want me to, and copied me on an email to her colleague. The only person I ever heard back from was the very out of touch recruiter for the second round. She had no experience and couldn't keep her questions or responses straight. Not only did I get absolutely no response but for a large company I'm shocked by how unprofessional the folks representing the company are.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Recruiter Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in December 2014.

Amazon recruiter proactively reached out to me and set up recruiter screen. Recruiter screen went well, so submitted me to several of his recruiting managers with open positions. Unfortunately, the recruiting manager that was the most interested was a perfect example of the stereotypical Amazon long-termer (10 years); super aggressive and confrontational. She spent 10 minutes pontificating about how hardcore she is as a manager and how she prides herself on being "direct"and quick to fire someone, if she doesn't think they are a "good fit". When I asked her about the tenure of her reports, she admitted that everyone on her team has been there less than a year... I knew very early in the interview, that I would never be willing to work for her. I believe she could tell and also declined.

Interview Questions
    • How is recruiting @ Amazon better than @ your current employer?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I felt that the interview was a waste of my time. The entire process was pretty negative. They made it very clear what I didn't have and my lack of qualifications to try to prepare me for a low offer. I left the interview feeling like I had been hit by a car. It is not an interview. It is an interrogation to beat you down so low you accept a low ball offer. There are so many other companies that treat their employees better and pay at market rate.

Interview Questions
    • Give me another example (they wanted multiple examples)   Answer Question

super low offer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in August 2014.

Was contacted repeatedly on linkedin by both agency and amazon recruiters about positions there (if you have the word recruiter anywhere on your LI profile and live in Seattle expect to be contacted once or twice a week until eternity by Amazon). Ended up responding and working with an internal amazon recruiter for recruiters, did an initial phone screen with her, then did two more phone screens with two other recruiters before being brought in for a panel interview with 6 people.

It took a week afterwards to get to the offer negotiation stage, and I ended up pulling myself from the process at that point because it was very clear to me in my onsite visit that it wasn't a good fit or a healthy place to work as a recruiter.

Interview Questions
    • What Amazon core value do you most identify with?   View Answer

Was concerned about work/life balance, 4 out of the 6 people I talked to seemed absolutely defeated/unhappy when I was talking to them, it was a very strange vibe on that team and it was clear they worked very long hours.

Recruiter Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in May 2014.

Several phone interviews followed by an eventual face to face interview at the Amazon HQ. Every person was late to each of the 5 phone interviews (min. 3 minutes up to 10 minutes). During the face to face interview, I had people staring at their laptops as they asked questions, pausing only to catch up on their fast and furious typing. One interviewer was very arrogant and disrespectful (he stopped me in the middle of an answer to answer an email on his laptop). He has been there for 10 years and couldn't grasp the struggled with the concept of agency recruiting. Very set in his ways, his tone was condescending and pedantic.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a decision you made based on limited data. Give an example of something you did that was innovative. When was a time you made a decision that had multiple, possible decisions. What decision did you choose and why?   Answer Question

Disappointed in the compensation level.

Recruiter Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Reched out ot me for a postion after 2 phone interviews, never heard back from them, even after a follow up email.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I had a great experience interviewing at Amazon for a recruiting role. I had recieved a call from a sourcing recruiter who spoke with me a little about a technical recruiting position that had opened and she said that she would be interested in setting up a phone interview with the hiring manager. 1-2 days later we had a telephone interview set up and for the end of the week. The interview with the hiring manager was energizing and was like aconversation you would have liked to keep going if you could. Conversation about salemanship, customer service, and recruiting know how. Also went over the metrics of recruiting alittle. I felt good about the connection. The follwing week we shceduled an in person interview in Seattle with thte hiriung maanger and 3 others and I was provided with the address and other needed materials, job description etc. The interviews were all about 45 minutes and I met with 3 managers and one of the senior recruiters. They were great conversations and although I am usually really nervous but they made me feel comfortable. The take away from the interviews...recruiting at Amazon is challenge and opportunity but definitely worth it! Very professional and admirable interviews some took notes via laptops others jotted notes. I would be a pleasure to work with/for these managers.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about how you dealt with a mistake you have made?
      How do you handle missing a deadline?

Answer Question
    Great, the offer was exactly what I had hoped for. No need to counter offer.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I was referred by a family member.
    The interview consisted of one initial phone interview followed by phone interviews with 2 additional Recruiters and the Hiring Manager.
    The Recruiters asked behavioral questions (describe a time when you had to complete a difficult task, have you ever had any disagreements with co-workers and how long I would stay with them). The hiring manager had questions about my gap in employment which lead to her believing that I would not "stay" with the company and would "move on" after immediately being hired.
    They also mentioned that I would have to convince them that I would stay for the required 1.5 years, but due to my background and education, the hiring manager was not convinced I would make that commitment.

Interview Questions
    • What are the things you did not like about your last job.   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

Long loops, sometimes interviewers with overlap questions, easy to connect with interviewers. Great accommodations flying to and staying in seattle, put you in small windowless rooms which was a little awkward

Interview Questions
    • A lot of negative based questions. "name one time you failed" and they keep pushing for more and more answers. very uncomfortable. Especially since I have rarely failed at something so there are only so many answers i can give.   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

You interview with several different people. Each person focuses on a different competency. You will need to be very descriptive with your answers because you may be interviewing with someone from a different field than your own.

Interview Questions
    • Be ready to speak to your volume, and how your measure your success and the success of the different pipelines you source from.   Answer Question