Amazon.com

3.3

19 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Mid Market Sales Representative for Amazon Web Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

So there were two no-shows by the hiring manager, Sherry K, for the initial phone interview. The first time I thought to myself, OK -- I get it. I'm in enterprise software sales. Things happen. Meetings will go over.

The second time it happened just felt it was one of the following: 1. Disorganized, 2. Self-centered or 3. Rude. All of which are not good.

The 3rd time we tried, we connected and I will tell you -- I was shocked at the rudeness and arrogance. I get it. You're selling AWS and they are (for now) the gold standard for Cloud. But this kind of culture is not what I wanted to be a part of, and so it was obvious in my tone (I didn't care anymore) that I wasn't very excited to speak with her.

I tend to gravitate toward companies with a no @**hole rule. Unfortunately, they didn't pass the test.

Interview Questions
    • The difficulty? Probably the tone and the way the questions were approached, she was actively trying to make this into an interrogation while I was trying to keep this at the conversational level. Didn't work, unfortunately.   Answer Question

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

I was contacted by recruiter on linked in. The process took 3/4 weeks. There were 5 face to face interviews.

Interview Questions
    • I can not disclose interview questions. But here is my experience and tips …
      1) During interview every interviewer was taking notes … they write down what you say.
      2) The questions are not very difficult. Practice well. Practice the thinking process to solve the problem. Know time complexities. VERY VERY IMP - practice writing code on paper.
      3) Preparation: After reading other blogs I somehow gave little importance to graphs, and I got question on graph :(. Prepare on arrays, strings, trees and don't forget graph. Also dynamic programming will be helpful. Hash data structure is important and keep it in mind always while solving problems. Also its very important to read AWS interview blogs, glass door, career cup etc. and solve the problems posted there. If you are not currently interviewing I will suggest you to prepare for 4 weeks (prepare with writing code on paper) before the interview.
      4) Amazon do concentrate on leadership principles and ask many questions related to behavior etc. So prepare it very well. These questions like 'why amazon' are important and can be phrased into multiple ways.
      5) Design questions: Ask questions while solving to clarify and keep on building the system … do some practice at home. I will suggest to first concentrate on computer science questions like OS, file system design and then work on more generic like design coffee shop etc.

Overall the interview is not difficult. Every engineer/manager I met were awesome, they help you solve the problem. (In one of my interview I was working on to find better algorithm myself, but the interviewer was so excited that he kept on asking questions which will lead to hints … :) )

Good Luck!

Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2013.

On-campus interviewing at an MBA program. Two interviews of 30 minutes each (first round), then two interviews of 45 minutes each (second round). Two interviewers were product managers, two were product management directors. Their decision was communicated very rapidly - the very same evening as the second round interviews. Overall the interviewers were personable, empathetic, and easy to talk to. I had a very positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • You're a product manager on Kindle. The new recommendation feature for books on the Kindle has been getting negative feedback from customers. What do you do?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in August 2013.

At first, it's a phone interview. but not got phone call at the appointed time until waiting for another 10 minutes.
    The questions in phone interview is for algorithm test, and the first one is to revert a sentense which is a common one. Unfortunately my answer not accepted by interviewer, so did not pass the phone interview.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2013.

submit resume online. Get two three phone interviews. Each one begins with some talking about past projects then continue to some technical questions and end up with a coding problem. Each phone interviews last about 45 minutes. Wait about 2 weeks for follow up after each interview. Wait 4 weeks to get the offer after the last phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • What kind of script language you'll use to delete all SSN in a large amount of files in distributed system? How to delete them?   Answer Question
    no negotiation

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2013.

There are several questions like symmetric trees, 2-sum question. The answers to these questions can be easily found on the internet. But it is a little difficult to do the coding in 45 minutes.

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in December 2012.

Interviewed with 6 or 7 people, each lasted about an hour. The primary type of question was 'Tell me about a time when...." and it covered several different scenarios such as when I had to make an unpopular decision, had a disagreement with a coworker, had to propose an innovative idea, etc. Then, they dive deeper depending on your answer.

I really enjoyed everyone I met and had a great visit.

Interview Questions
    • What metrics did you implement internally to measure the business in a way that's not been done before. Why did you do it and how did it help you?   Answer Question

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in November 2012.

The hiring process is extremely quick. I had a phone interview with HR, another phone interview the next day with a dev, and flew out the next Friday for an on-site. The entire process was very professional, and I was delighted that at the end I hadn't spoken to a single person with terrible English speaking skills (as is common in the industry).

The interviews are *extremely* easy for a top-tier tech company. Sadly I think they're far too easy, and a lot of not-so-good engineers get through.

Interview Questions
    • The "most difficult" question I had was finding the intersection of two arrays. Seriously. The rest were even easier. I'm not kidding.   View Answer
    I wasn't a college hire so I was able to negotiate, if I had any advice to give it would be to not be afraid to ask for what you want.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com in August 2012.

HR phone screen, online programming test, onsite interview

Interview Questions
    • Given 2 strings find the common words along with the time and space complexity. How would you optimize the algorithm   View Answers (3)

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com in August 2012.

I applied online and received an email from a rep to schedule a phone interview with the team's manager. The position was for a new top-secret AWS product and the team lead himself was going to call me. The phone interview was among the worst I had experienced. The interviewer was not friendly, and the questions all sounded like they were being read off some list. Stuff like 'what is your favorite website', or 'what would you change about it'. Overall I was very disappointed with the type of questions asked.