Amazon.com Interview Questions in Seattle, WA

3.4

1,813 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all Interviews

Investigation Specialist- Spanish Language Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2015.

First interview was through HireVue, where I have to record a series of short videos in both English and Spanish as well as provide a written response to a few questions in both languages. (Total of 7 questions).
    I pass the record interview, so I was invited for "on-site" interview. With 5 different people, 2 managers, 2 Investigation Lead and the recruiter with I was in contact. (This was like 30 min with each one). Most of the questions where behavioural, focus on what I achieved at my last job, how I handle difficult situations, which were my main responsibilities of my past role.

Interview Questions
    • Share an example of how you engage people?   Answer Question
    • Give me an example of a time when you set a goal and were able to meet or achieve it.   Answer Question
    • When you worked on multiple projects how did you prioritize?   Answer Question
    • tell me about a time when you used your own creativity to solve a problem   Answer Question
    • tell me about a time when you change your priorities to meet others’ expectations   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2015.

I was referred to Recruiting by an employee whom I had been introduced to by a mutual industry contact. Recruiting contacted me via email to setup a 30 minute screening interview, to be conducted over the telephone by a current team member.

The screening interview was pretty basic, focusing on why I was interested in the position and how my experience was relevant. Afterwards, the company went completely dark. After 3 weeks I sent Recruiting an email asking about status. Another week went by before I finally got a response apologizing for the delays. A couple days later I was notified that I would indeed be asked to participate in a formal, onsite interview.

After the date for my onsite interview had been confirmed (one week out), I was sent a situational interview question in email and asked to submit a written response (2-4 pages) prior to my interview. I had heard that writing and white papers were a big part of how the company goes about its business. It wasn't difficult, I just wasn't expecting to have to submit anything.

The afternoon before my scheduled onsite interview I received my detailed itinerary for the day - seven 45min - 1hr long interviews!!! The interviewers consisted of the hiring manager, the hiring manager's manager, a recruiter, several x-org peers with whom you would be collaborating with, and an individual who had nothing to do with the specific role; who was really there to assess your potential to be successful in other parts of the company.

As for the interviews themselves - every question I was asked was situation-based and was rooted in one of the company's 14 management principles highlighted on their career site. Be sure to review these ahead of time and come prepared to provide an example from your work experience for each.

I was a bit surprised that I was not asked a single question about my knowledge of the subject matter area related to this position or my experience doing the exact same work at another company. It was really all about fit and culture. Which I apparently didn't align with, because, in spite my experience in the area, I was not offered the position. When I asked the recruiter for feedback, I just got a terse response stating the recruiter didn't get any feedback from the team. Done, end of process.

Interview Questions
    • This was a Project Management position, so all the questions related to how I would go about planning, prioritizing, communicating ideas/status, managing trade-offs and influencing the business to act. They were not particularly difficult for me to answer given my experience. One vague, hypothetical question did catch me off guard, though. In a situation where your intuition tells you there is a potential business opportunity, how do you go about finding the data necessary to substantiate it? Where do you even start?   View Answer

Retail Leadership Development Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2015.

First I received a test. That tested some logical and math abilities. It also had a personality component. Then I had 2 phone interviews of 30 minutes.
    One of the interviewers was nice, the other one was in a rush and really cocky. In the email they sent me they said that this interviews would be case based and behavioral, both were only behavioral. Unfortunately I did not prepare enough answers and ended up talking too much without going anywhere.

Interview Questions
    • How do you get people to earn your trust?
      How would you improve the customer experience?
      What would you add to the website?
      Give me an example of a time when you did something on your job that wasn't part of your job description. How did you end up getting that assignment?

Answer Question

Business Analyst II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2015.

it was great experience. reading the experience here is very beneficial. No hard questions are asked. A lot of case and behavior questions. one person asked me to solve a optimization problem, One asked me to write sql code, which I did not fully get the answer. But they are satisfied with my performance and give me an offer.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2015.

Yes, you read that right.. 180 days. First phone interview, interviewer never bothered to submit feedback to the system. Recruiter would contact and go dark for a month, contact and dark.. Finally another phone interview.

Was told I had to fly to Seattle for the on-site even though I live less than ten miles from the job location. I have to fly in the day before, so it takes me two days to do this interview. Also, I could not get a job description although I was told multiple teams were interested.

After the flight had been booked I finally get a job description and the required skill-set is nowhere near what my resume lists.. I go anyway because I had never been to Seattle, though I started to have my doubts about all of it.

Do the interview and everything goes ok. For dealing with technology so far out of my comfort zone I'd say I did pretty well overall. Lots of algorithm and cloud based questions. Aced a couple, did ok on some and got stuck on one.

Get a call the next day that the team decided to pass because of my lack of knowledge of their technology. Told the recruiter that I thought it was odd that I was brought in for this job in the first place and expected the team to understand that I had to learn on the job.. Get quite rudely told that "we hire on experience, not potential." and she tells me she'll call back in a year or so.

If you only hire on experience, why contact someone who has none of the skills listed that you are looking for? This turned into a giant waste of time for everyone involved because of some recruiter not doing their job.

Interview Questions
    • Lots of algorithm questions straight out of careercup. Overall the interview was quite thorough and all bases were covered. I could not figure out who the 'bar raiser' was because none of the interviews stood out as particularly difficult.

What was interesting was that when I asked questions about cooperation and interaction with different groups, all interviewers replied in a way that i could see there was a lot of friction between departments. Having read the amazon reviews and the dreaded 'stack ranking' system they still employ, it was no real surprise to me.

Answer Question

Senior Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2015.

A company that has great people that will try and do everything possible to make you fit with them despite yourself (if you click together). That's how I would describe my experience with these folks; the whole process took about a month. Out of all of the companies I've interviewed with while job hunting these past 2 months (Apple, Google, LinkedIn, Nintendo, ILM and PIXAR), I'd say that Amazon had to be the most candid and down-to-earth group of people a person could ever want to work with (A close second was Apple in this regard). Throughout the entire process from the first HR Recruiter contact, in my experience, things just "clicked"; conversation was always casual and relatively stress-free and the staff were extremely enthusiastic about driving the idea of me working for them.

This behaviour continued through the phone screening interviews (usually 3-5, but I only had 2 before being flown out for the final). The interviewers, both very friendly and easy to relate with, were always candid and personable with their approach to broaching interview questions (they've done this sort of thing before). Aside from that, they pride honesty over everything else (they'll know if you don't "know" something if they ask you a question): be true to yourself technically and you'll do well in this part. It wasn't long after this that Amazon paid for and arranged flight out to their main office in Seattle. Many others have said this and it bears repeating, maintain your receipts! For former (or current) military members used to going TDY a lot (like I used to when I was enlisted), this is a non-issue: Amazon accounts for Per-Diem as well as other misc. incidentals WITHIN REASON. But for people that haven't traveled very often (if at all) for whoever they currently work for, this may sound odd. You will not get compensated for you personal expenses if you don't have good receipts.

That being said, arranging the trip was very easy, the HR person in charge of this your assigned to acts as a sort of concierge for the remainder of the process until you get to Seattle. He/She will get all of your travel details and preferences (they book through DELTA as of this review, so if your a Sky Miles member, you can mention that and your number during the booking process). That being said, due to it being "March Madness", seating was severely limited (I had a middle seat on all flights). I ended up upgrading these seats and other flight provisions (WiFi, etc.) myself due to my size (broad shouldered dude), for which they later compensated me as a travel expense (keep your receipts!). Most folks can do just fine with a taxi here to get to the interview (they may put you up in the Hyatt Regency, which is only about 8 minute walk from the main building, but I wouldn't advise the walk due to construction/random gutter-punk congregating areas). For me, I opted to rent, and it's the one thing that Amazon will not reimburse for, which I was fine with.

Once I got in and checked in through reception on the 12th floor, the day's "gauntlet interview" session commenced. As with all of my treatment up to this point, everyone was extremely polite and affable. In fact, they make it a point to remind you that no-one wants to see you fail, and make it a point to work through a problem with you if your struggling (be true to yourself, but know your stuff).
    I met with several people that day including one of the folks I had a phone interview with previously. The question hardness level was relatively similar to what was asked in the phone screening. A word of note here: you should do your best to simply "ANSWER THE QUESTION" without any excessive filibustering. Sadly, I did this for just about every question despite "eventually" winding up with the right answer.

I'm not sure if this played into the final decision to move forward, but I do know a big factor in it was specifically one thing I hadn't thought about and that was my asking range. Amazon, like everyone else, has a very tight budget for what they can hire for. And in this particular case for me, the position was for a "Senior" (which the team needed), but my assessment placed me at a "journeymen" (which was what I was trying to go for anyway when I applied). The Hiring manager, an awesome guy, was very frank with me about this during the process (something not quite normal, but I like the honesty). His quandary was that while he felt I would be perfect for Amazon, he was stuck between the needs of his team and the numbers he could play with based on what I told my HR interview before him. I can't help but wonder if the number I gave earlier were lower if I might have got the job, or if it was ever mine to begin with. that being said though, this is one of the few things I would definitely do again; I don't regret any of the experiences and anyone lucky enough to work with the team I would've been brought in for would be greatful.

Interview Questions
    • Explain, in detail, how the process of password caching works when an Amazon employee logs into their work computer at work, and subsequently goes home and logs into their work account from an Amazon provisioned laptop or other trusted device.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2015.

I found out about the internship on my university career site. The process started with a phone interview which was mostly about behavioral question and skill-based question.
    One week later, I was called for the final round interview. After I accepted to go to the final round, they sent three accounting and finance cases which I had to choose one and gave my recommendation on the case.
    In the final interview, there were two 45-minute one-on-one interview. One will ask you about the case, and another will ask more behavioral questions.

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online and was contacted by Amazon.com for online assessment. This was 90 mins coding assessment. After one week , they told me to again take another personality online assessment. Two weeks later they invited me for on-site interview. They arranged everything from travel to accommodation. In on-site I had back to back 3 technical (coding) interviews on white board. I was supposed to have 4 interviews but one of my interviewer was not able to make it so they told me that I will be having that part as phone interview later.

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2015.

One phone screen, 30 to 60 minutes followed by a second phone screen. After the second phone screen I received a message from HR that they were considering other candidates and that my resume had been forwarded to other groups such that I may receive a call. The phone screens were cordial and productive. You only get the first name of the person conducting the interview, and so without a last name or title, it feels like you are coming in a little blind. Overall, the phone screens were positive.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were "behavior-based" and focused on ascertaining your background and fit to the Amazon Leadership Principles. The toughest question for me was to name a time that I made a mistake and explain how I addressed it.   Answer Question

Senior Vendor Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

A few phone interviews then follow with an all day onsite interview with 7-10 people. A 2 page paper is required prior to the interview to test your writing skill....

Interview Questions
    • STAR questions, be prepare to repeat yourself as they asked similar questions.   View Answer

I'm negotiating