Amazon.com Interview Questions in Seattle, WA

3.4

2,050 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all Interviews

Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in August 2015.

Interview

Overall the process was smooth and easy. Everyone was very friendly and gave a clear description of the process, what to expect, etc... The recruiters sometimes took a long time to respond (4-5 days), but overall I enjoyed the process.

Interview Questions

• Describe how to represent a deck of cards using object oriented methodology   Answer Question

Investigation Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied online through Amazon's career portal and soon after received an email from a recruiter with questions. After responding to the recruiter, a phone interview was scheduled. This process took about 24 hours. I was informed that I would be speaking to one person and have a written test, but I ended up speaking to two people. The written test was responding to two case study questions on Collabedit. I wasn't expecting much, as the day before the phone interview my job status was already "Reviewed, Not Selected." Both interviewers didn't seem interested throughout and were clearly reading off of a list of questions. All questions asked were very typical: "tell me about yourself," "where do you see yourself in 5 years," etc. One interviewer even said "Here's another generic question" before asking me a question. At the end of the interview, I asked them a few questions about their work (they couldn't provide me with much detail) and their work environment. The day after the phone interview, I received an email from the recruiter informing me that I was no longer a candidate. All in all, I suppose it was good interview practice?

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself -- why are you interested in this position and how does it relate to your current or past work experience? Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever proposed an idea that wasn't widely supported by your team? Did you move forward with it and what was the outcome? (Give 2 examples)   Answer Question
    • How do you prioritize when you have many deadlines that fall on the same date? Can you give an example?   Answer Question
    • Can you name a few instances of fraud that might occur at Amazon?   Answer Question
    • If a 3rd party seller sends a customer the incorrect item (not on purpose), what is the ideal solution?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied online and received an email about 5 weeks later. Set up an initial phone call with the recruiter, then scheduled a technical phone interview with a member of the team. The questions were very basic and related to the specific language for the position I was applying for. I was then invited on site to have four more technical interviews and lunch with the manager.

Interview Questions

• Very basic technical questions regarding data structures, writing algorithms, determining time and space complexity, and even just a discussion about how it would be possible to solve some problems the team is currently facing.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to get my salary and signing bonus increased. It helped that I had multiple other offers that were comparable. Research cost of living and things like that of the area the position is located.

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in August 2015.

Interview

First round was a online interview with some technical questions, logical questions and behaviour questions. After first round, I got a on-site interview opportunity, but they paused the process since all positions were filled. Few months later, they asked me if I would like to continue to do on-site interview and I went to Seattle for a one-day interview. On-site interview will have 2-3 people in a team to solve a "real" problem. There were about 8 teams in one big open room. The problem broke down in 3 parts, each member was assigned one part to solve it. Team members can help each others (discussion), but they must code by themselves. Unlike some other companies, you don't need to code in a whiteboard. Each candidate is assigned a laptop to code in actual environment (e.g. Eclipse). Also the Internet is open so you can Google:). Candidates have about 5 hours (I can't remember exact number) to solve that one sub-problem. While coding, there are two one-on-one interview with interviewers. One is about 30 minutes and the other one is about 15 minutes. During 1:1 interview, interviewer will ask about your solutions, thoughts and even more open-ended questions. Also they will look at your code to give you some help (like directions), but they don't assess your code at that time (code assessment will happen after submit the code). Some advices, some questions may easier than others. I think my part is the hardest one (the last part), and I didn't finish the complete solution, but only had a very basic version. So don't think 5 hours for one question is enough. Interviewer always said go with a simple solution first and optimize it, which is true. If you don't have time to finish all your code, write skeleton methods with comments, so interviewer can understand you are on the right track.

Senior Business Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in August 2015.

Interview

Two formal phone interviews, and several emails to the HR team responsible for managing the hiring process. Then 'the loop'. Questions focussed on direct past experience, and it helped to be prepared with pre-prepared answers with supporting examples. The Leadership principles are extremely important to the interviewers, and recommend having examples for how you comply with each principle.

Interview Questions

• Provide examples of targets you are held accountable against.   1 Answer

Data Engineer Interview

Application

Interview

Interview experience went from best to worst as I progressed in every round and ended up getting no offer with not a single line justification as why I was not given offer. Process started with me applying online on Amazon website. Got mail from recruiter and appeared for first phone interview. The interviewer straight away jumped to sql questions and discussed only 3 sql queries for entire time with not a single word about other role and responsibilities mentioned in their own job posting. At the end of interview when I asked if the position demands only sql skill or any other skill mentioned in job posting the interviewer (to save himself) said "ya its good you have read the job description and etc. but was not able to answer my question. I myself has more than 11 years exp and I take interviews for my org. This is the most simplest thing a recruiter and interviewer can do is to make sure post exact requirement what the position demands because it's obvious that the candidates will prepare themselves and expect the questions to be asked accordingly. Anyway, I managed well to discuss all possible solutions and approaches to solve the sql questions. Few days later another recruiter called and told me I am not considered for first position but another team is interested in my profile and will have interviews again. Next, two phone interviews happened back to back with lots of sql questions but this time interviewers were very friendly and asked questions all around my exp, skill set, sql and job requirements. Both calls went great and interviewers were impressed to let me upfront know that they want me to propose for next level of interview. With this I was called for onsite interview. I started preparing myself by gathering as much as information from glassdoor to get to know what's the interview pattern, what kind of questions are asked etc and prepared well for technical skills, behavioral questions by aligning those to my experience and amazon principles. At onsite interview, I was in rapid fire round of 6 back to back interviews with 2 same interviewers i talked in phone calls, 2 mangers and 2 unknown people who told me they r from different department all together and r just to evaluate me as third party. Again lot of white boarding to solve lots of sql questions and then lots of lot of repetitive behavioral questions from everyone to see if i can follow amazon principles. I answered them well and showed them my skill and potential. After 2 days I simply got mail stating they r not moving ahead with offer which really pissed me off. It didn't make sense to me at all that after spending so much of time in the interview process they even didn't bother to tell me in which area they didn't find me suitable. The onsite interview was simply meaning less as the technical questions were almost same they asked me in phone call??????? Two of the manager talked me over the phone because they were not at that location. They asked me to come onsite to make me talk to interviewers over the phone??????? The two third party interviewers didn't seem interested talking me at all as one of them even didn't bother to have a conversation with me about my approaches and solutions to technical questions he asked. He simply said me to write it on white board and kept trying to point "no actual mistakes" mistakes in it. The another interviewer was showing on his face that he is not at all interested in talking with me and just wrapped the interview before 15 mins. Some of the things didn't make sense to me at all - 1. What is the need of onsite interview when all those questions can be asked over the phone? 2. What is the criteria to get a candidate onsite? is it after evaluating them with 2/3 phone screen and already decided that how much % the company is sure to hire that resource?. I mean if they want to decide based on onsite interview only then why take 2/3 phone screens or else after taking 2/3 phone screen simply have onsite interview to discuss offer and next things. 3. Behavioral questions and amazon principles - How can a candidate be a role model to follow amazon principles. One can simple master by preparing such questions and fake it even he/she didn't work like that all all and one can try to show his/her real potential by explaining their real achievements in their career. I am the second approach person but it seems that didn't impress the interviewers at all. 4. Somehow I observed the people at such big companies pretends themselves to be the best and over smart and want to show that off but that doesn't mean the person sitting on other side is no match for them. One and most important thing I learned best from this experience is never feel yourself down and always keep ur confidence bar high and only work at the place where ur skills and potential is truly appreciated and recognized no matter it's small or big firm.

Interview Questions

• I have signed NDA so I can't disclose those but glassdoor has lot of such already mentioned by others.   1 Answer

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in August 2015.

Interview

Just starting interview process. Took a long time to actually get connected to an internal recruiter. Had first phone screening call which went well. Hiring Manager is out for a few weeks and will be pursuing further conversation when he gets back.

Interview Questions

• Not really a lot questions yet, mostly told me about the entrepreneurial spirit of the company and the Amazon Principles.   Answer Question

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in August 2015.

Interview

Went through three rounds of phone interviews and then two days for onsite interviews. Onsite interviews were back to back for an hour each all day. They seemed to not like that I asked about culture and cultural fit.

Interview Questions

• In your past, who is one person you have hired that you wish you had not and why?   Answer Question

Practice Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in August 2015.

Interview

Long detailed process that is focused more on culture and technical details then job function. Preinterview phone screens. Phone screens by recruiting team (three different ones). Phone screen by three different employees. In person interviews, one one, group and presentation.

Interview Questions

• What is your greatest failure?   1 Answer

Software Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in August 2015.

Interview

The process was somewhat disjointed, though positive. A recruiter contacted me on LinkedIn for this, and possibly another position. He set up a time to talk with me on the phone after I showed interest. He gave me an overview of the hiring process and some good tips on how to get hired. He also mentioned another position (one that I was far more interested in doing). About two weeks later I recieved a polite message that the hiring managers had passed on me. Personally, that was fair by me. However, they were interetested in me for another position and would like to proceed with that. As much as the communication was somewhat distant and choppy, I have never had a recruiter take the time to tell me how to get hired. I liked that. I have over 15 years experience in various roles in software development (programmer to boss) and an MBA. It is good to see a company not reject someone because they got in the wrong hiring queue. Better yet, they took the time to put my in the right queue.

Interview Questions

• I did not make it to the interview stage.   1 Answer