Amazon.com

3.4

1,694 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in October 2014.

Contacted by HR after submitting my resume through my university career center. Asked if I would like to do a video interview which is a 1 way interview that is recorded using your video cam. Takes about 15 minutes and there were 8 questions. They asked: (1) Tell me about yourself and Why Amazon? (2) Why a Solutions Architect? (3) TCP/UDP, NAT, etc? (4) What scripting experience do you have? (5) What database experience do you have? (6) What AWS experience do you have? (7) What customer facing experience do you have? (8) What public speaking experience do you have?

Interview Questions
    • I listed all 8 questions above, but the most difficult will be which languages can you program in and what experience do you have with AWS?   Answer Question

Marketplace Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Very intense half day interview. Nine different interviewers all assigned a different leadership principal to review. The worst part of the process was that it took them almost 5 months after I applied before I heard anything back from them. Once I got the phone screen the process took about 35 days.

Interview Questions
    • None that I can remember, it was more that every question was a series of questions that got very detailed.   Answer Question
    there wasn't one, I said yes.

Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

Very professional and organized process. Recruiting people are great. First a phone call from the recruiter. Second a 30 min interview with a director, pretty high level, and then another interview with a TPM which is more detailed.
    I was then invited to travel to the HQ in Seattle for a marathon of 5 interviews, with TPMs and Directors, four of them 1:1 and one 2:1.
    You can tell they interview a lot of people, some interviewers tried to show some interest others were in auto-pilot mode, asking the same questions and getting the same answers for the hundredth time can sure be boring.
    In the end, all folks very professional, doing their job, but I did miss some small talk, non-scripted talk, maybe 5 minutes after each interview, where you get to know the people better. I left with the impression that I talked to 6 machines that were programmed to ask questions and drilling them down to the core.
    From the Glassdoor reviews I learned that only one in four candidates who come to this stage get an offer letter, so I already knew my chances were slim. Anyways I flew over to gain experience and improve my interview game. Also I got to know the company and it's people, on which I don't think I would fit in.

Interview Questions
    • Can not specify a question due to NDA, but there are many questions about past projects and request to solution some problem. Nothing too exotic, however on interview #4 or #5 I confess I got sick and tired of talking the same things over and over. Incidentally the more important interviews are the last ones, maybe on purpose :) But at that point I already knew I did not want to be an Amazonian.   Answer Question

Senior Vendor Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2014.

submitted my resume online to company website for a business development position and instead was contacted by HR for a senior vendor manager role for home audio. received a document on Amazon leadership principles and how to prepare for the interview. had a first phone interview with the head of vendor managers for electronics. not much small talk but the interviewer was friendly. he probed fairly deeply on each answer I would give asking follow ups on most answers I gave. overall it was fairly intense but it was a good experience. waiting to hear back on next steps

Interview Questions
    • Talk about a time you had to fight for different options for a particular outcome in a past job.   Answer Question
    • Case question: You are in charge of launching a new TV product. Walk through the steps to estimating how you would calculate inventory needed for the next month per vendor if you can reorder on a monthly basis one month out.   Answer Question
    • Why Amazon   Answer Question

Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in October 2014.

Call came from a recruiter that was very good at getting me to even look at the role. I had a total of six phone calls with Recruiters, Staff & and the Manager which then brought me to the "Loop" interview six people cycle through while you answer the questions over a six hour time frame.

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in October 2014.

Applied online in April 2013, got contacted in October 2014 for On Campus Interview
    First day I had one 45 minute interview, later they called me and invited to the second round of the interviews. The next day I had three rounds of interviews. The decision process took one week, and I got the offer

Interview Questions
    • All the questions were from data structures, algorithms, and programming   Answer Question

Cloud Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com in October 2014.

Applied online
    Got a call for phone interview and was asked the most convenient day for interview
    Setup an interview and most questions were simple. Went thought my resume and asked questions about my past experience and tech questions

Senior Vendor Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in October 2014.

Communication is very precise and prompt during the interview process. Questions follow the s.t.a.r. format...think of a time when this happened...what did you do and what was the outcome. Be prepared for that again and again. Interviews are about 45 minutes and your interviewers will come to you and it was a low pressure comfortable information exchange so relax...you get to talk about your experiences. Recruiting team was awesome and helped you be successful in your interviews by giving you advance notice of what to be prepared for. Dress is casual...no ties, no suits. Business casual.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you hired someone and it didn't turn out as expected and how did you handle that?   Answer Question

Software Engineer, IOS (IMDb) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in October 2014.

A recruiting coordinator reached out to me after one of the recruiters saw my profile on LinkedIn and we setup a technical phone screen.
    The technical phone screen was not difficult and the interviewer was very pleasant. He asked me about my previous work experience based on my resume, asked me to provide situations where I had to get something done in a tight deadline. Then we moved onto iOS specific questions: Difference between frame and bounds, gcd v/s NSThread, difference between dispatch_async and dispatch_sync. After this we moved on to two coding questions on collabedit. First was: Given two sorted arrays, find the common elements. Second was: Create a UIButton programmatically and animate it between top left and bottom right when the button is tapped.

I heard back from the recruiting co-ordinator two business days later that they wanted to fly me out to Seattle for a recruiting event.
    In Seattle I met with 4 interviewers.
    1st interview: Two questions. First was find all permutations of a string. Second was find the largest palindrome in a string of odd length. The interviewer was quite lovely to talk to, very down to earth, smiling and helped me whenever I was stuck.

2nd interview: Second interview was on OOD. He asked me to design classes for furniture, starting with Table and Chair, wood table, metal table, wood chair and metal chair. He asked to design it in a way that it will be extensible in the future. He emphasized that material is very important. Then he asked me about various design patterns. We talked about the IMDb app, how ads are intrusive and how we can improve the user experience. He also asked me to describe a situation where I took charge of something and convinced the team to implement it and asked me to describe how the results turned out.

3rd interview: This interview started with talking about my resume, what I did at my previous position and went deeper into why I made some choices during the development of the product I was working on. Then we moved on to algorithm questions which consisted of questions about Binary Search Tree. It's running time for insertion, deletion, searching. Then he asked me how hash maps work. Running time of inserting, deleting and searching in a hash map. He asked me why would we prefer to use BST over HashMap. He then asked me to find out the largest item in a Binary Tree.

4th interview: This interview for the most part was very iOS specific. How will you implement a particular view which has lots of elements for various screen sizes. Then he asked me that imagine a view has lots of elements where it scrolls for pages and pages. How will you retrieve the data? Will you retrieve it all at once or not? If not then how will you retrieve it? Then he asked me that imagine a view has a UIImageView as it's subview. How will you query the server to send the image in a particular size? Then he asked me since you will have millions of requests going to the server and if each of the requests asks for the same size, then how will you make sure that the resizing on the server happens just once? Then he asked me imagine we had a view with lots of images a each image below it had name of the image. How will you implement it? How and when will you retrieve the images? What would you do if you had to make sure that at any given time, there are at max 4 requests that goes out? The last question was the NP-complete "Partition Problem". Given an array of positive integers, divide it into two arrays A1 and A2 such that the sum of elements of A1 is equal to sum to elements of A2.

Overall, the interview went very smooth, all the interviewers were very nice, friendly, and knew what they were doing. Although I did not get an offer, I will definitely apply to IMDb/Amazon again.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in October 2014.

The biggest difficulty with this interview was the jet lag. I had planned to dose myself with caffeen to keep myself alert, but the canteen was consistently out of everything except decaf.

One interviewing consider his job to see how upset he could make me, and see how I would interact. He started off by asking me about things not on my resume, not part of the job, and acted as if I didn't have those experiences I was a bad candidate. Then he lead me to a question about a time I had to fix a serious customer issue. The more negitive I described the problem it the more positive he reacted, as if he was pleased. I fell for this hook line and sinker and actually called a product I had worked on @RAP twice. Granted I was refering to the way the customer reported the problem, but I'm sure that cost me the interview right there. I can't blaim them as you don't want someone who will call a product they worked on @RAP even if is under extreme stress and jet lag. But it leaves this as a bad interview experience.

With most of the interview questions, I felt I did reasonably well. There was two white boarding questions. One of which was trivial, the other was challenging.

The recruiter would provide no feedback.