Amazon.com

3.4

1,705 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in May 2013.

Called out of the blue, asked if I'd be interested in interviewing. Still not entirely sure how they got my name. Had first phone interview the next week, asked no personal questions, all technical in nature. Total of 3 phone interviews and an in-person trip out to Seattle.

Took about 4 months start to finish. The people in the in person interview were wonderful. Very smart, laid back, and understanding. Got lunch, small tour of campus, and learned what I'd be doing. Got the offer 2 business days after the in person interview.

Sadly, I signed a NDA and I respect the terms of that. As such, I can't give you any specific questions, but I'll gladly give you the best advice I have.

Phone Interviews :

Phone interviews are sucky by nature. Coordinating a call from west to east coast alone is painful, add the fact that phones just take away the benefits of body language, and just make it harder to hear, and you've got a recipe for disaster. But fear not! Here are some helpful hints, some of which are obvious, some of which are not.

1. Get ready ahead of time. I just mean, get to the area you'll be doing the interview beforehand. I'd recommend an hour or more, just to get your nerves ready. Breathe, get used to the surroundings, and get everything laid out ahead of time. Which brings me to...

2. I know it's a "programming" interview, but for the love of all things good, have a pen and paper ready and at your disposal. Bring a backup pen. Much like a printer, the pen will fail at the worst possible time. You may also need a laptop, as I was asked to do "on the fly" programming. But close anything and everything distracting. Speaking of...

3. Pick a spot where there are no distractions. You'll want your undivided attention on this interview. Don't have BookTweet or FaceSpace or MyGram or that crap open if you have a laptop. And I personally wouldn't pick a public space, you never know when an annoying parent will put their screaming child right beside you.

4. Breathe. Just breathe. Take a moment, stretch, and remember you got this. If you have trouble hearing, don't be afraid to ask again. Don't be afraid to say you don't know. Do as for clarifications, and state assumptions up front. Always re-state the problem as you understand it.

As for the content : For the love of God, know what a time complexity is, and how to determine it for any and all code you write. Know the time complexities of all sorts. Know all data structures, how to use them, and properties of each. (Insertion time, deletion, etc) Generally know what heck you're talking about. But don't talk too much. You don't want silence at any point really, but you certainly don't want to let the interviewer not get a word in. Know graph theory, tree theory, and all the fun stuff associated with more "complex" structures. Understand what your language does behind the scenes, as far as GC and compiling go. Know how your language use internal structures to manage the code/objects you write.

**Continued below**

As a recent grad, there wasn't much room for negotiation.

Brand Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Applied online through amazon.jobs as a pending university graduate.

After submitting my resume and online profile I was contacted via email to move onto stage two - an online math/reasoning assessment and a personality test. The two tests combined took an hour. Assessment test was about 20 math and logical reasoning questions, none of which were particularly difficult or memorable. Personality test was long with multiple choices to gauge how you would react or respond in certain situations.

After successfully completing the online tests I was invited to the final round at their headquarters in Seattle. Travel, food, and hotel were all reimbursed. There were about 25 candidates. Day started with breakfast at 8AM followed by a tour of the buildings/campus until 10AM. Then everyone gathered in a room for a presentation given by a senior employee. The presentation regarded retail math with financial terms and equations that were to be used in the subsequent exercise - presentation took about 30 minutes. Then everyone was given a worksheet that asked how you would price and sell a coffeemaker produced by a new vendor. You are expected to use the equations you learned to create a business plan and a Profit & Loss statement. This took about 30-40 minutes. Note: everything must be be finished according to schedule and we were behind schedule, resulting in less time than previously allotted for these exercises.

After this, everyone was assigned to a group of ~5 and given the task to sell a product that had been struggling to make sales or profits. You are given the Profit & Loss data as well as other useful information. There are two current Brand Specialists who watch the group and take notes. This exercise is about 40 minutes and is followed by a 5-10 minute presentation per group. At this point there are about 10 current Brand Specialists in the room who will ask very specific questions during the Q&A following the presentations.

Lunch.

Finally, a two hour case study with a new group of ~5. They put you in a different room with two different observers. Case study was to prepare to launch a new department called Amazon Pets. We got a worksheet with relevant information, questions to answer, and other data. Afterwards, we presented to yet another pair of observers who grilled us on Q&A for 10-20 minutes.

The day is extremely fast-paced and tries to put you into group settings that represent actual work and work environments. Not everyone is cut out for this and it will be obvious at the end of the day.

Interview Questions
    • Current Brand Specialists asked very specific questions regarding your model, data, and numbers during the Q&A's. Tough to prepare for - gotta think quickly.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com.

This was my 3rd interview for a position in amazon within 6 months. Really long process, so did a total of about 14 interviews with Amazon. The questions were behavioral with lot SQL questions asked which were very straight forward. Anyone with basic SQL knowledge can answer them. For the role I was offered, I had 2 rounds of phone interview and 6 rounds of interview on-site. Most of the questions were about my background and resume.

Interview Questions
    • I interviewed for a business analyst position. The interviewer saw that I had a computer science background and asked me couple of coding questions. Both were simple codes to write   Answer Question
    No, I was not able to negotiate and Amazon does pay low for this role. But I really hated by current job so figured atleast try a change.

Customer Enablement Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I applied for job on linkedin and to my surprise I got response almost right away for phone screening. Had a phone interview first then was called in for in person interview almost right away.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were pretty straightforward: Why Amazon? Tell us about yourself. Why Amazon Web services?   View Answer

Human Resources Business Partner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Several phone calls with recruiters leading up to a call with a hiring manager. Then in person interview - 7 hours with 6 different people from various areas. Asked for a writing sample but they give this to all interviewers so don't answer interview questions with similar story/example. Recruiter was nice during the day, providing lunch, water and bathroom breaks. One person called in to interview even though they were just down the street, thought that was odd.

Interview Questions
    • Someone asked for a whiteboard demonstration on how a process was handled. Full presentation/demonstration requested on topic that had not been discussed previously. Other questions typical behavioral interview questions and by 5th person and unexpected white board presentation, was burned out going over these details again.   Answer Question

Culture, people I interviewed with were extremely arrogant. Full day interview too much, was ready to leave half way through. Learn how to make a decision please. Recruiters however were great and very professional.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Applied online and received a reply back about a month later. I took a timed programming test online which included writing two programs and answering a bunch of behavioral questions. I was then called in for the onsite interviews which went on for about 5 hours. Each interview consisted of writing at least one program on a whiteboard and a few technical questions.

AML Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in December 2014.

The process is a day long scheduled interviews with 7 individuals from partnering departments. Each individual asked almost the exact same questions. I had researched regulations pertaining to the job but the interviewers were not interested in discussing upcoming regulation or best practice. When I was told that I was not chosen for the position they would give no feed back as to why.
    If you are flying out to interview plan on bringing at least $300 for cabs meals and other expenses, you will be reimbursed after the interview via direct deposit.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Applied online. Four phone interviews and in-person interviews with 6 people in the main Seattle office. Mostly all the interview questions were behavioral "tell me a time when you..." kind of questions. They bring in a person from a different department to ask you unexpected questions.

InfoSec PM Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com.

The interview took 6 hours! By the end I had no actual personality left and had answered the same questions repeatedly, which I believe they probably compared later, it was interagatory and exhausting.

Interview Questions
    • When I was put on the defensive regarding how I would protect people's bonuses.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com.

The process took a week. First round phone interview. Second round at their main office in Seatlle. Overall the interview was nothing unexpected and comfortable. 1 analyst who was supposed to ask about the case that I prepared messed up and I ended up with 2 rounds of interviews with the exact same set of behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • If you have 2 projects due for 2 different analysts at the same date and you only have time to finish 1, what would you do?   Answer Question