Amazon.com

Updated Dec 18, 2014

3.7

39 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Hired through campus recruiting. It is very straightforward. They gave the offer in 1 week after second round interview, and gave around 2 round for me to make the decision. no negotiation on the offer. all processes are efficient and effective.

Interview Questions
  • All questions are fair. Most were focused on behavior questions.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Applied online, received an email to set up a phone interview. The interviewer asked about my resume, my understanding about amazon, and one case. It ended with asking questions about amazon and the team.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about any article you red about Amazon recently.   Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com in October 2014.

Hired via Campus Recruiting. The entire process is quick. Round 1 (On campus): 2 back to back 30 mins interview. They asked you for availability for the day after (Round 2 Interview) in case you get it. The recruiter get back to you the night before the Round 2 Interview. Round 2 (Off-site; Local office): 1 45 mins Excel Case; 2 back to back 45 mins interview (1 of the 45 interviews is debrief of the case). You find out the result at the end of the week.

Amazon is known for asking very detail behavioral questions. Be prepared to dig deep and have multiple stories that could match its leadership principles.

Interview Questions
    • - Tell me something smart that I can share with my friends.
      - How many gas stations in U.S.?
      - Pricing negotiations for Amazon Prime Music

Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Various times, I was told that Amazon was a terrible company to work for from people inside. However, they reached out to me for an SFA role and I flew up to Seattle to interview with the team. To be quite honest, did not click with anyone but the hiring manager. Hiring manager was a really down to earth guy who was professional and personable. The interview process was very fast but the selection of people who I interviewed with was really poor (except the hiring manager). Amazon web services seems like a group that is all over the place and people seem to run with their heads cut off. A chaos in a chaos. While this can be a great opportunity for growth, it requires good leadership which this team lacked in various aspects - in my view. The entire in person interview felt scripted. Each person walked into the room with a set of questions that was already written on a piece of paper (which also overlapped some of the questions I was asked before - It makes you feel like they are not prepared and it is equally frustrating).

Amazon seemingly values its 14 principles very much but when you ask a question about these principles to the managers, they give you very vague, general responses. 2 people I interviewed with specifically were extremely rude and unprofessional to an extend that they would respond to my questions with questions and ridicule my experience with a condescending tone of voice - which broke the deal right there in the office. I would not even work for this team if Jeff Bezos paid me thousands. Other departments could be different but finance was a big disappointment. Horrible interpersonal and communication skills. Imagine how horrible that would be in such a chaotic work environment working with them on a daily basis. It definitely did not feel like a welcoming team. rather felt like a team that is in deep chaos and in desperate need of people to crunch numbers. I can crunch all the numbers in the world but if the team is not a fit, that is it. I think it was a mutual feeling of no fit.

Interview process: Around 3-4 weeks
    1st: Phone Int. with recruiter
    2nd: Phone Int. with hiring manager
    3rd: Phone int. with another manager
    4th: In person interview in Seattle

Questions: All behavioral questions geared to see if you exhibit any / all of the 14 principles.

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in July 2014.

1) Step 1 : Referral through B School alum
    2) Step 2: HR call to schedule 2 telephonic calls with hiring managers
    3) Step 3: Two telephonic rounds: 1) 40 mins with hiring manager: several behavioral questions centered on amazon leadership principles 2) 40 mins with operations head: several behavioral and strategic questions on Amazon
    4) Step 4: Asked to send a written assignment on amazon leadership principle
    5) Step 5: Called for onsite round 2 weeks later
    6) Step 6: In total 6 rounds: A) 1st excel round for 1 hour with 7 questions (not that tough if you have good practice of excel formulas and pivot table; one question on operational finance case B) 40 mins facility visit (be curious and engaging during this and ask good questions C) 5 back to back interviews with 7 Amazonians spread across HR, finance, operations leadership positions ; Excel test result shared in 2nd last interview (everything was perfect!); last interview was strategic and more on amazon products and future strategy/financial performance

Interview Questions
    • 1) tell me an example where you disagreed with your team and ultimately you were wrong 2) what type of work environment you like and what you don't like 3) what is new about Amazon?   View Answer
    Renegotiated for better bonus and base salary

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Applied online. Got a phone interview. Chatted with the hiring manager for like an hour. The questions were mostly around their leadership principles. They really want to find the candidate who's got the Amazon DNA.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Explain the most complicated Excel model you've created.
      2. Describe a time that you disagree with your team and you were wrong, how did you handle it?
      3. Describe a situation where you take calculated risks.

Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Expect behavioral interviews, no case type questions, with a focus on the leadership tenants. A quick search online will tell you those tenants, and then try and tie your answers to the questions back to specific examples from your experience that answer the question, and highlight a desired leadership tenant. Focus on what you did specifically, don't get lost in team/group accomplishments.

Interview Questions
    • In general have the details for your answers. What were the results, how did you gather data. It will be very obvious to the interviewer if you're not being truthful because they will ask specific follow up questions.   Answer Question
    Able to negotiate more stock in initial offer.

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

After a first round interview in the morning, I was asked to come in for the final interview later in the afternoon or the following morning. I liked that the entire interview process was very quick. I was asked a lot of specific questions about their services such as Amazon prime and Amazon locker--you need to be familiar with Amazon's services in order to do well.

Interview Questions
    • In the final round, I was given a pricing strategy question to complete on Excel which I had difficulty with because I did not know the excel function needed to compile the raw data I was given. Make sure you know your excel functions before heading into the interview.   Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Had two phone interviews, one with the hiring manager and another one from someone from the team. The interviews are highly behavioral (why amazon, tell me about a time when you solved a problem using financial analysis, etc) and usually include only one technical question (what factors would you consider when building a new fulfillment center, how would you price amazon prime, etc), but the difference is that second interviewer will really grill you on the details in your behavioral stories. Know your resume in detail and have stories prepared on each of amazon's leadership principles. They are pretty late on following up with the decision and don't provide feedback.

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

HR person was very helpful in guiding me through several open positions and which she felt I would be best suited for. Then quickly sent me job descriptions to review and I could make my decision. Then the follow up to schedule a phone interview with hiring manager was very quick. Interview with hiring manager was very professional and thorough and I was able to ask questions as well.

Interview Questions
    • Providing an example of project that did not go as well as I expected.   Answer Question