Amazon.com Senior Financial Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Sep 21, 2014

3.7

37 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I applied through campus. There were two 30 minute interviews over phone on the first round.

The first ten minutes of both the screening interviews involved introductions, describing my experience etc..

The first interviewer then asked me some behavioral questions like tell me about a situation when you led a team, Why is this significant, What did you do to not get bogged down by details and concentrate on the bigger picture etc.. The second interview was largely a case.

I was invited for the second round to Seattle where I had four interviews. Three behavioral rounds mostly asked about my experience and difficult situations. There was excel exercise which required some data analysis.

Interview Questions
  • The excel exercise was specially tough for me. It is NOT related to finance.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2013.

First rounds were pretty basic. They just asked me about my resume, not a whole lot of behavioral questions. Mild case questions, just "walk me through your line of thought," style. The second rounds, in their Seattle offices, were intense. They were very probing into behavioral interview stories, and they asked lots of case questions. They were not super clear about what things meant - I've also interviewed with consulting firms, known for difficult case questions, and I've found their approach more straightforward than Amazons. I think their interviewers are told to be tough.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2013.

8 Hour interview process with no breaks in between. All interviews are waiting outside the room and ready to start as soon as your current interview is finished.

Interview Questions
    • How are you going to save me $10 Million   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in August 2012.

I had two rounds of interview, one with Sr. manager and one with finance Director. The next day they invited me to fly to Seattle for on site interview which had 5 people to interview me. one of them was the bar raiser, who asked lots of questions about your past experience.

Interview Questions
    • deep dive on one of your project that you have done in your previous company, asked lots of question about how you did it, why you did that way and what are the outcomes.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2012.

Lengthy and tiring

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com in November 2011.

Four interviews on day 1, 2 more on day 2.

Interview Questions
    • Would you ever recommend a project that had a negative NPV?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Allentown, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Allentown, PA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in August 2011.

When I applied online, they had about an hour of personality and critical thinking tests. Weeks after that, I finally got an email from HR about doing a phone interview with a current Senior Financial Analyst at Amazon.com. After that interview, they scheduled another phone interview for the next day... And then another phone interview the day after that.

After the third phone interview, they decided to fly me out to one of the fulfillment centers. There, I had multiple interviews with different "Amazonians" from different areas. Each one focused on a few of the Amazon core values, with targeted questions to check my "fit". Finally, there was a tour of the fulfillment center with a couple of Financial Analysts who were constantly asking me "What do you notice?" and "Do you have any questions?". Basically, testing to see if I had that natural curiosity.

In the end, I didn't fit with the position (although I thought that should have been figured out through the three phone interviews), and I got the rejection email a few hours after the interview.

Hard to give a "Positive" interview experience when they didn't give you an offer, but they weren't crazy interviewers or anything.

Interview Questions
    • We did some data analysis and noticed that the phase of the moon was directly correlated to the productivity of our fulfillment center staff. What could be causing that?   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in April 2011.

1) 40 minute phone screen by hiring manager (senior manager level)
    2) 30 minute phone screen by another senior manager in the organization
    3) 5 hours of on site interviews, 30 minutes with a director, 30 minutes with a senior manager, 30 minutes with another senior manager, a lunch interview with the hiring manager, and two more 30 minute interviews with managers. There was a 30 minute break due to last minute scheduling adjustments. I was scheduled to meet with dept VP but that did not happen.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in November 2010.

Got the interview through on campus recruiting. First round was two 30 minute 1:1 interviews. First interviewer was friendly and mainly asked behavioral questions. Particularly "Why Amazon". Second interviewer asked mostly case questions and asked for specific details about my background. The second interviewer pushed me to see if I had backbone and would defend my answers. Frequently tried to make me second guess my answers asking "are you sure?" or "is there anything else you would consider?"

Interview Questions
    • Why Amazon?   Answer Question
    • If you had to choose between adding two products to the Amazon catalog, which product would you add and why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in November 2010.

In the final round of the interview, I went to their corporate office in Seattle, 4 guys from the finance area interviewed me back-to-back. Each interview only lasted for about 45 minutes.
    The questions were generally typical behavioral questions and one or two real problem solving discussions with the interviewer. I think this was to see the candidate's thought process. I don't think there was a right answer for these kinds of questions.
    Get prepared for wide range of questions not specifically related to finance. Think of this position as general management position with very strong analytics.

Interview Questions
    • If Wal-Mart came out with new very aggressive promotions for Christmas, as Senior Financial Analyst, what would you do?   Answer Question