Amazon.com Senior Financial Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Aug 19, 2015

3.8

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Interview

After a first round interview in the morning, I was asked to come in for the final interview later in the afternoon or the following morning. I liked that the entire interview process was very quick. I was asked a lot of specific questions about their services such as Amazon prime and Amazon locker--you need to be familiar with Amazon's services in order to do well.

Interview Questions

• In the final round, I was given a pricing strategy question to complete on Excel which I had difficulty with because I did not know the excel function needed to compile the raw data I was given. Make sure you know your excel functions before heading into the interview.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Interview

Had two phone interviews, one with the hiring manager and another one from someone from the team. The interviews are highly behavioral (why amazon, tell me about a time when you solved a problem using financial analysis, etc) and usually include only one technical question (what factors would you consider when building a new fulfillment center, how would you price amazon prime, etc), but the difference is that second interviewer will really grill you on the details in your behavioral stories. Know your resume in detail and have stories prepared on each of amazon's leadership principles. They are pretty late on following up with the decision and don't provide feedback.

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Interview

HR person was very helpful in guiding me through several open positions and which she felt I would be best suited for. Then quickly sent me job descriptions to review and I could make my decision. Then the follow up to schedule a phone interview with hiring manager was very quick. Interview with hiring manager was very professional and thorough and I was able to ask questions as well.

Interview Questions

• Providing an example of project that did not go as well as I expected.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

I applied while I was in the final year of my MBA through a referral. They scheduled two phone interviews totaling 1 hour. Round 1 was purely behavioral. Round 2 involved a business case and behavioral (and went on for almost 50 mins instead of the scheduled half hour). Ultimately, I did not get invited further, so I am applying again.

Interview Questions

• 1. By how much should we increase the price of Amazon Prime? How will you go about making this decision? What are the data sets you will look at that will guide you to the correct pricing? 2. How will you help Amazon enter China or any other new geography? What are the things to consider?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

Interview

I applied for the position when I was in the final semester of my MBA through a referral. Was scheduled for 2 rounds of phone interviews totaling 1 hr. First round was purely behavioral, and was easy. Second round was a business case and very deep behavioral - interviewer was tough and I did not make it.

Interview Questions

• 1. Should we increase the price of Amazon prime? What variables will you look at to make this decision? By how much will you increase, or even decrease? Why? 2. Tell me a strategy to enter a new market in Asia, say China. How will you go about introducing Amazon services there?   Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

Amazon is high efficiency in the whole process. I was interviewed in campus after 1 month of the resume deadline. Day1 for R1 and Day2 for R2. R2 lasted three hours.

Interview Questions

• Lots of small cases such as problem solving questions and how do u make a decision questions. Behavior questions are tough as well.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Hiring process took about three weeks. After the standard two phone interviews, I got an on-site interview. Everyone was very interested and open. The conversations were challenging and everyone was on their a-game. I enjoyed the challenge during the interviews and actually just had great conversations. In the end I did not get an offer because not everyone was convinced the gap in specific experience could be bridged without much training.

Interview Questions

• Evolving around the news and what your thoughts are about this/ what you would do differently   Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Interview

Applied online, contacted by HR, phone interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I applied through campus. There were two 30 minute interviews over phone on the first round. The first ten minutes of both the screening interviews involved introductions, describing my experience etc.. The first interviewer then asked me some behavioral questions like tell me about a situation when you led a team, Why is this significant, What did you do to not get bogged down by details and concentrate on the bigger picture etc.. The second interview was largely a case. I was invited for the second round to Seattle where I had four interviews. Three behavioral rounds mostly asked about my experience and difficult situations. There was excel exercise which required some data analysis.

Interview Questions

• The excel exercise was specially tough for me. It is NOT related to finance.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in February 2013.

Interview

First rounds were pretty basic. They just asked me about my resume, not a whole lot of behavioral questions. Mild case questions, just "walk me through your line of thought," style. The second rounds, in their Seattle offices, were intense. They were very probing into behavioral interview stories, and they asked lots of case questions. They were not super clear about what things meant - I've also interviewed with consulting firms, known for difficult case questions, and I've found their approach more straightforward than Amazons. I think their interviewers are told to be tough.