Amazon.com

Updated Jun 1, 2014

3.5

6 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in May 2014.

Submitted my resume via a friend at the company, heard nothing for nearly 8 months. When HR contacted me for phone screen, things took off. I did two phone screens, trip to Seattle for interviews (four 1-hour one-on-one sessions conducted back to back), and a trip to CA to visit potential work site -- all in less than three weeks.

During interviews, first three interviewers were fairly typical -- ask behavior/analytics questions & follow up to understand your story thoroughly. Amazon wants very detailed examples so they can evaluate your thinking -- theoretical answers or vague explanations won't fly. Last interviewer took a very contrary/confrontational approach -- hired lots of people with your background, fired most of them. Why should I think you'll be any different? I believe last interview was to verify my commitment to what will certainly be a challenging role and to see how I'd react to a skeptical, hostile interviewer.

Interview Questions
  • Describe a time when you saw a problem coming. Tell me how you knew it was coming, what actions you took to avert it, and what the outcome was.   Answer Question
  • What would your employees say they like most about working for you? What would they like least? What was the last feedback you got from your boss?   Answer Question
They listened, but it was clear that the package they offer is fairly well defined and unlikely to be adjusted. I tried to negotiate additional vacation time; no dice.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Senior Operations Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Applied on line. Took over 6 months to hear back from recruiter. Once recruiter contacted me, I had three phone screens over the course of two months. Overall, the phone screen process was very pleasant and informative. Once completed the phone screens, had an on-site interview. This interview included 4 sets of 2 interviewers over 4 hours. There were also 3 other candidates there, we each rotated through each interview panel. The interviewers were: 3 Regional Directors, 2 General Managers, 1 Regional HR Manager, and 1 Junior Recruiter. Overall, the Regional Directors were arrogant and condescending. If it didn't happen at Amazon, it was not worth their time. I did not feel like they welcomed other ways of thinking or ideas. Also, the recruiter had told me to keep my examples in my own terms, not to "Amazon" my answers. However, when I tried to explain using my terms, I got the feedback "What you are talking about is foreign to me" and "You are not answering the question I asked." Two of the Regional Directors and one of the General Managers were very unpleasant, rude, and left me with no desire to work for Amazon.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you told your manager "you are full of crap"   View Answer

Not a good cultural fit

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in June 2012.

half day process, complete with facility tour, corporate culture introduction and behavioral science based interview questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in July 2011.

My interview process followed what I read in other posts for the most part. Amazon called me - I did not initiate by sending in a resume. I first had some initial calls with HR (twice) and then an hour-long interview with the Hiring manager. The Hiring Manager seemed great and it was a good fit, so when they called for an on-site interview I decided to go even though I wasn't crazy about re-locating. The interview was similar to what I read - 5 people one-by-one with the first one being the hardest. As I wasn't interviewing for a developer role I didn't have some of the logic questions that I read about, but they definitely had some tough questions. The first guy wouldn't tell you who he was or what he did but just started peppering you with questions and ridiculous scenarios. They got easier as it went along but I think I blew the first one so it really didn't matter. Although they said I would hear something one way or another in a week, it's been 3 weeks and I haven't heard a thing (followed up twice with HR) so I can take a hint.

Senior Operations Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in June 2012.

I applied online & was contacted within 24 hrs, a week later was asked to attend a 4 hour panel session consisting of 4 interviews.

Two days before this panel I was asked to submit a written exercise on a business issue I had resolved - the style had to be narrative ie no PowerPoint or bullets.

Interviews were very straightforward competency based, do your research & your fine.

2 of the interviewers had only been with Amazon for a couple of months..!

The HR person interviewing was the weakest by far.

Got a job offer after about 2 weeks - they then withdrew it as they had also filled the same position internally.

I went to a networking event later that month & 2 other people knew someone who had had the same saga..!

Got a call 5 months later asking if I was still interested - went along for another panel - got the same questions & one of the same interviewers who st ill had his notes on me from the last time.

Again 2 of the interviewers had only been with Amazon a couple of months. 3 of the interviews were non events, they were more interested in telling you how hard it is at Amazon, with no regard to what experience you have or the qualities you can bring.

Got a call 10 days later from a recruiter I'd nv met or heard from saying no offer - when I pointed out that they had rung me & that I'd been offered the job previously, he fell apart, mumbled something about not giving feedback as they are an American company..!

I looked at this guys profile ion LinkedIn & he's another new recruit with about 3 months under his belt.

My impression is that Amazon is full of new starts who are so impressed that they can wear shorts to work, that they miss the point of the process. I was interviewed 8 times, & only 1 person was doing the job I was applying for. In both sessions the bar raiser was a person who had less that three months working for the company.

Overall the interviews are easy it's the length of time you waste & the hopeless communication that's difficult.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me when you've ad to improve someone's performance through feedback & what tools you used   Answer Question
    • What metrics do you use in your current role to measure performance   Answer Question

Senior Operations Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2012.

Great hiring practices. It's a strength for Amazon as they use a panel of people and excellent questions around their leaderhip principles.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were around leadership principles and were straight forward.   Answer Question
    Negotiations were limited but the offer was aggressive so it was not an issue.