Amazon.com Senior Product Manager Interview Questions

Updated Oct 16, 2014

3.5

102 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Phone interview with hiring manager and colleagues. In-person interview with management and staff. The interview did not seem difficult or challenging. Seems like a good company for beginning graduates but not so much for families.

Interview Questions
  • All questions were normal expected interview questions.   Answer Question

No work/life balance. I was told the typical week would consist of 50-60 hours a week. At least i could put some of those hours in after the my kids sleep. I guess I have different opinion on work/life balance.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Senior Product Manager Interview

Overall, the process was really long at 2.5 months but everyone that I worked with was friendly. Part of the delay was due to someone initially sending to the wrong email address (didn't check resume), but most was due to their schedules. I made it to the onsite interview in Seattle which seemed like an achievement. As a seasoned PM, I was not interviewing out of college but it seemed like it was geared toward that. I even obliged in submitting a writing sample (which I think only one person actually read).

All the questions were basically 'tell me about a time when...' with several follow-up questions like 'and then what happened' and 'what would've happened with the alternative', etc. I noticed that I had to repeat myself if I included the response to the follow-up in my original statement about the experience. It can through you off your train of thought at times. After about 5 solid hours of this, you've answered on more than a dozen experiences so it gets a little draining and feels over the top. Each person is tapping on their laptops recording your answers as you speak so it can feel a little impersonal too. I remember one person opening with a question meant for someone he was interviewing the next day. Yep, everyone's busy. ;)

Interview Questions
    • It was unexpected to answer deep dive questions on everything and I expected more technical questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

I informationally interviewed with current employees at Amazon who referred me to hiring teams. After the first interview, I didn't hear back for months. Then I got another employee to forward my resume, heard back right away, had 2 friendly behavioral interviews, and then flew in for a full day of about 5 interviews back to back. No technical questions were asked. Instead, they wanted to know about my experience. Definitely study the leadership principles and use the STAR method. If you're good at behavioral interviews, you'll probably do well. It was a great experience overall.

Interview Questions
    • When was the last time you missed a deadline? Why?   View Answer
    • Name a time you had a conflict in a team. What about with a boss? When did you have difficult with something? What's a recent challenge you had? ---- In other words, prepare lots of conflict examples.   Answer Question

Had a better offer elsewhere but it was a tough decision.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Recruited On-Campus First. Interview was hard. Case-Based and pushed a lot into every characteristic of the case

Interview Questions
    • You go into the elevator and the CEO of a company Amazon wants to work with is there. Give me a 30 second pitch you would give him to get business from them. Second Round was 4, 45 minute interviews with different product managers at amazon. If you do badly in one you are basically done. I think all four of them have to say yes in order for you to get an offer. It's hard. They are very behavioral and ask about negotiations skills, teamwork, you must be metric oriented, etc. It's one of the toughest companies to interview with.   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

I was first contacted by an Amazon HR recruiter, who then set up a telephone interview with the hiring manager upon confirmation of my interest in the role. The interview focused on previous experiences and resulting strengths and weaknesses. There was a brief introduction to the role being filled and team structure, as well as opportunity for Q&A at the end. The tone was friendly throughout.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in October 2013.

I applied to multiple positions at Amazon throughout my time in business school through the school's career management portal. I finally received an invite for a role within a fast growing division at the company.

1st Round: Hiring Manager (Director) discussed background and experience including prior roles at Amazon. Then transitioned to detailing current team and objective. This description was highly insightful and I recommend taking very detailed notes as it will help you prepare for later rounds. The interviewer then transitioned to describing the role (new position) they were hiring for and expectations for a successful candidate. Interviewer then opened for questions. This was followed by a competency based interview using the Adler "ONE QUESTION INTERVIEW METHOD" If you are not familiar with this format do yourself a favor and look it up. It is a variation of the typical Competency Behavioral Question, but requires a much deeper story than standard STAR response as it dives deep during follow-up questions. There was no typical walk me through your resume portion.

Initial Question: What do you consider your most impactful piece of work and why?

Follow-up Questions: How did you come to work on this particular project? How did you go about coming up with the initial analysis and recommendation? What was the project/product lifecycle? What were some interesting facts that you learned from the data? Who else was working with you on your team, what was your role? How did you present your findings to senior leadership? What was their response? How did you overcome initial pushback? What initiative did you take during the process? What was the result of the project?

Interview concluded with typical question and answer round followed by a brief description of candidacy process. 1 more phone round, plus on-site loop and possible written case. Received 2nd round telephone invite 2 days later, scheduling process was similar to 1st round.

2nd Round: Team member (Product Manager). The call had barely begun and the interviewer jumped into case interview. He had to pause and rewind to introduce himself when he realized he had just jumped in head first. The case was a very typical "interviewer-led" consulting case, where the business problem was based on actual Amazon problem. If you don't know what this is you desperately need to pick up either "Case in Point" or "Case Interview Secrets" by Victor Cheng. The case started was mixed (40/60) qualitative/quantitative where interviewer expected you to identify need to do market segmentation, sizing, and P&L estimation. There were -a lot- of numbers and towards the end of the case I tripped up several times inverting several numbers and also saying some pretty dumb sounding things. A full quant case is hard enough in person doing it while on the phone was exceptionally difficult. At the end of the case the interviewer wrapped up by asking for a recommendation. When I had made the recommendation which I knew was correct, he asked me "ok, but how are we going to do that?" After a few generic answers didn't satisfy him it was clear he was looking for a specific answer. I happened to nail it just as his patience seemed to be waning. Case took about 35-40 mins. The interview concluded with about 5 mins of Q&A.

After 2nd Round I though I was toast. I had tripped up towards the end of the case, and the only thing I could hope for was that I had earned enough points early on in the case to pass, but wasn't sure where the bar had been set. On a consulting case interview scale of (1-10) this case was at or above 8. Similar to late round McK & Co.

To my relief I was invited for on-site the following morning.

For the details on travel etc you can read up other on-site experiences on glassdoor.com, mine was close to identical.

On-site 5 Interview as follows: Hiring Manager, Non-Team Member (Senior Product Manager), Team Member (Sr. Product Manager), Team Member (Principal Product Manager), Team Member who first interviewed me (Senior Product Manager).

All the interviews were competency based interviews. Most, if not all followed previously mentioned Adler method. The principle product manager gave me what I guess would be considered bar raiser interview. It started off really friendly and then he started to turn up the heat. A lot of push back after my responses. How would you market yourself as a product?

Finished with brief meeting with recruiting manager to discuss feedback, go over salary expectations, relocation package, questions/concerns etc. Hiring manager gave me an exact date for when my evaluation meeting would take place and promised to contact me with a decision either that same day of the meeting or the next day.

Recruiting manager called on exact date as promised.

Interview Questions
    • Adler style "One Question Interview", Full Quant Case Interview   Answer Question
    No Negotiation. Same offer as entire MBA class.

Senior Product Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com.

6 interviews. All on campus from B School - Focused on leadership, quick thinking/decision making, product thoughts and design

None

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

The interview consisted of 2 phone screens followed by a day onsite in Seattle. All people were smart and nice to speak to. They let me complete my thoughts (on cases) slightly nudging where needed. I enjoyed knowing more the work there.
    Most of the interviews were either case questions with multiple layers or 'tell me about' questions. As long as you know the leadership principles and prepare you answers to reflect to those you should be good

Interview Questions
    • how and when do we know we achieved least possible shipping costs?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Recruiter reached out to me - possibly based on my LinkedIn profile. Talked to me for about 45 mins via phone. Followed by email from recruiting coordinator to setup in person call with hiring manager. I thought the call went fantastic, but got an email saying they are going with other people. And they could not provide more details on why the decision was made due to legal issues.

Interview Questions
    • None really. Several posts on Glassdoor provide the questions - describe most difficult decision, talk about Amazon values, working with teams etc   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

Applied online to their job post got a call from recruiter the next business day morning who said hiring manager is very interested to talk and someone will be getting in touch to schedule. Couple of weeks pass and no news & I had no contact info to contact back the recruiter! After 2-3 weeks I happened to stumble upon recruiters email & reached out. This time things moved fast & a phone screen was arranged. Not sure of the title of the gentleman who called but, appeared to be the hiring manager.

He started the call saying he wrote the job description and it is very well written so, I must have understood the role very well! At the beginning he let me ask questions but, right from the beginning there was this arrogant tone in which he answered. The interview continued with questions on my background and there began interviewers impatient disruptions and very dismissive responses. At one point I was told I want you to slow down and minute later I was disrupted again to say I want you to be direct! Increasingly I could sense this impatient vibe on the other end, the sighs, cutting me off and increasingly dismissive responses to my experience & what my current company did. After few minutes of this, I almost lost interest to discuss my background. After all, after a certain stage in our career, we are not here to prove to someone our capabilities, rather to find a mutual fit with an org/position and our skill sets. I do want to point out here that I have in the past had interviews where one or the other interviewer had grilled me but, always in good spirit that made for an interesting conversation. The end result is really not that important here, jobs and candidates find their match anyways sooner or later.

By the time I kept the phone I knew my decision - I do not want to work at a place where seemingly experienced people do not have the social capabilities of respecting other experienced professional (not that a junior person should be treated that way). I do not think great products can be built where there may be plenty of IQ available but zero EQ.

I know it is unfair to judge a company by one persons behavior. However, I do think every organization attracts people of a certain kind. I reached out to the recruiter and informed that I won't be proceeding with next steps. I still am amazed that even in today's world, interviews can be about showing others down!