Amazon.com

Updated Jan 26, 2015

3.5

111 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Product Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2015.

It wasn't a great experience at all. It was a phone interview , he started by saying he is down with flu and he is not interested in knowing why I am interested in Amazon, he asked "just tell me what brings you here." That was his first question. He didn't ask any previous experience questions , he had his own set of questions from which he read out.

Interview Questions
  • There weren't any tough questions, the tone of the interview wasn't good,As if he was forced to interview me.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Senior Product Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2015.

Applied online. Was contacted by HR within a month. Had one phone interview and an onsite interview with 9 people.

The complete process was pleasant and professional. Applied for product management position, but interviewed with product managers, finance manager, project manager, GM and HR. They look at you from various angles.

9 interviews were back to back - for whole day.

Interview Questions
    • None really. Most questions revolve around Amazon's leadership principles - in particular customer obsession and ownership. I liked their interview methodology.   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Amazon.com contacted me via email and I worked closely with a recruiter that is specific to the product vertical (Amazon Global Prime). After a phone interview with the hiring manager and while I was a good fit for Amazon.com she wanted to transfer me to another role. The phone interview went well, but again the position was not the best fit as it was too technical for my nature. My recruiter told me that I am still a good fit for the company, but just not that position. I would have to relocate and decided to decline any further interviews at that time.

Interview Questions
    • For this business, they want to make sure that you are using data to back up what you are doing. This particular interview, they asked what features I would introduce into the vertical. Luckily, I was very familiar with the Prime and Seller Central.   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I took the MBA assessment. Then I was interviewed for 2 phone interviews.I was then invited for final round over video call.I am yet to appear for the final round

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. Questions were straight to the point.   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in October 2014.

The hiring process consists of three parts,I made it to round one and didn't get an invite to round two--

1) First thing I had to do was complete a two part online test (1st part is like a very simple IQ test, 2nd part is a personality test to probably see if you match with their 14 leadership principles). After this, you're either accepted or rejected for a first round interview.

2) First round interview--two 30 minute interviews. The personalities of the interviewers were very different, the first was very low key, the second was very high energy. Phone interviews were conducted on the same day about two hours apart. The interviews weren't really either behavioral or case-based which really threw me off-- they were very entrepreneurial, problem recognition/solving focused. Be able to talk to Amazon as a company, what you think some of it's problems are, and new product suggestions. Expect interviewers to "dive deep" and get into why you're answering questions the way you are.

As a side note-- I had other friends interview for other positions (program manager, logisitics) and their questions/focus were very different than mine. Good luck and hopefully you have a better chance than I did.

Interview Questions
    • First interview questions-
      1. What can Amazon do to improve the user's experience? How can we do this? Why do you think people like ____?

2. What is your favorite piece of technology. How would you improve it? What would you do to make these improvements?

3. What's the biggest problem you've solved?

Second interview questions-

1) What is it about Amazon that interests you, what area/product do you want to work in?

2) Amazon, in partnership with Chase, offers a credit card. We use to have a high acceptance rate but the 2008 crisis caused it to drop. How can we raise this rate back up?

3) How is Amazon's growth constrained? How do you think we should solve this?

4) What are some reasons a person might want to buy something from a corner store instead of buying something through Amazon? Pick one reason and solve it.

5) Tell me about a time you disagreed with a peer, how was it resolved?

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

Phone interview. The guy interviewing me was talking to me on speaker, "multi tasking" I could not hear him well and he seemed upset with me that I could not hear him. My former VP is a VP at Amazon and 3 of my former co-workers are working at Amazon, I was very excited to have the opportunity. Disappointed that Amazon lets the employee's act so arrogant and disrespectful. I was well prepared for an interview that gave me no chance. Hopefully most people will not encounter this.

Senior Product Manager Interview

interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

The process was thorough although for a Product Role I was expecting a lot of questions around the product and what I would do with a product for the role I was interviewing for. However, what I encountered was multiple interviews where almost everyone asked me the same questions just in a different way. One of the interviewers actually told me he was reading off the interview question sheet - I thought that was strange as the company I am at now, if we interview for product roles we want to know how product plans, roadmaps, strategies, analytics, etc... have been done in the past and we are interested in the tangible products the candidate has created.

The interviewers were obviously a smart team and had good questions about numbers and a lot of questions about statistical decision making - which is fine - maybe the product I was applying for was an analytics tool instead of what I thought it was :)

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you made a big decision based on metrics - was an odd question to me - I don't just use metrics to make decisions, the metrics guide people to look deeper into the area, not jump to decisions. My opinion!   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Phone interview with hiring manager and colleagues. In-person interview with management and staff. The interview did not seem difficult or challenging. Seems like a good company for beginning graduates but not so much for families.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were normal expected interview questions.   Answer Question

No work/life balance. I was told the typical week would consist of 50-60 hours a week. At least i could put some of those hours in after the my kids sleep. I guess I have different opinion on work/life balance.

Senior Product Manager Interview

Overall, the process was really long at 2.5 months but everyone that I worked with was friendly. Part of the delay was due to someone initially sending to the wrong email address (didn't check resume), but most was due to their schedules. I made it to the onsite interview in Seattle which seemed like an achievement. As a seasoned PM, I was not interviewing out of college but it seemed like it was geared toward that. I even obliged in submitting a writing sample (which I think only one person actually read).

All the questions were basically 'tell me about a time when...' with several follow-up questions like 'and then what happened' and 'what would've happened with the alternative', etc. I noticed that I had to repeat myself if I included the response to the follow-up in my original statement about the experience. It can through you off your train of thought at times. After about 5 solid hours of this, you've answered on more than a dozen experiences so it gets a little draining and feels over the top. Each person is tapping on their laptops recording your answers as you speak so it can feel a little impersonal too. I remember one person opening with a question meant for someone he was interviewing the next day. Yep, everyone's busy. ;)

Interview Questions
    • It was unexpected to answer deep dive questions on everything and I expected more technical questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

I informationally interviewed with current employees at Amazon who referred me to hiring teams. After the first interview, I didn't hear back for months. Then I got another employee to forward my resume, heard back right away, had 2 friendly behavioral interviews, and then flew in for a full day of about 5 interviews back to back. No technical questions were asked. Instead, they wanted to know about my experience. Definitely study the leadership principles and use the STAR method. If you're good at behavioral interviews, you'll probably do well. It was a great experience overall.

Interview Questions
    • When was the last time you missed a deadline? Why?   View Answer
    • Name a time you had a conflict in a team. What about with a boss? When did you have difficult with something? What's a recent challenge you had? ---- In other words, prepare lots of conflict examples.   Answer Question

Had a better offer elsewhere but it was a tough decision.