Amazon.com

Average Difficulty
96 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Seattle, WA

I applied online - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2011.

Interview Details – I had 3 interviews with the company, the first one was a phone interview with the recruiter. It lasted about 20 minutes and was a basic first screening in which I had to explain my background and experience. The second was a phone interview with the recruiting manager (the category manager). This interview lasted about 1 hours and was very behavioral. The interviewer asked extensively about the projects I worked on, what were my reactions to specific work situations and also asked case based questions to understand my approach to solving specific problems. The last interview was with a future team member (another senior product manager), this was very similar to the 1st interview with the recruiter. The next stage would have been to fly me in for a day at the HQs for 6 face to face interviews but I did not make it to this last stage.

Interview Question – How would you determine the best location of our next warehouse.   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2013.

Interview Details – This is PM for operations/logistics systems. Three rounds phone interviews, each of one hour. 20-30% behavioral questions + 70-80% case interviews.Cases may not be directly linked to this position, such as how to price Amazon Prime, how to manage the capacity of the warehouse (what factors you need to know, what are the relations between these factors, how to get these data, etc)., why sell neg profit margin goods. Overall, to answer them well, you need to have some knowledge of microeconomics, economical theory of organization, and maybe operations/logistics (I'm not sure. this is not my major). Then you need to be very logical.

The intervals between three rounds are half a month and a month! The most dramatic part is that I was forgotten/overlooked after being told the third round feedback was good. After my tenacious try to get connected with HR, the final on-site interview was scheduled in Seattle two months after.

four back-to-back interviews, totally three+ hours. Similarly, 60% of the time was case interviews. They asked many details and questioned my solutions. But I think this is a good way to test the logic and way of thinking of the candidates. 40% time were about behavioral questions and prior experiences. Due to NDA, I can't disclose specific questions. But one question already asked during phone interview (also listed above) was mentioned by three of them.

Because my English is not that good and I am not quite interested (so I didn't prepare much), I didn't perform well on site. Thank you letter was received upon inquiry one week later, because HR, again, forgot to send it out.

Interview Question – Your weakness (it's said this kind of question is just for interviewers to get a good reason to decline you)   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Interview Details – I informationally interviewed with current employees at Amazon who referred me to hiring teams. After the first interview, I didn't hear back for months. Then I got another employee to forward my resume, heard back right away, had 2 friendly behavioral interviews, and then flew in for a full day of about 5 interviews back to back. No technical questions were asked. Instead, they wanted to know about my experience. Definitely study the leadership principles and use the STAR method. If you're good at behavioral interviews, you'll probably do well. It was a great experience overall.

Interview Questions

• When was the last time you missed a deadline? Why?   View Answer
  • Name a time you had a conflict in a team. What about with a boss? When did you have difficult with something? What's a recent challenge you had? ---- In other words, prepare lots of conflict examples.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Had a better offer elsewhere but it was a tough decision.

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in November 2013.

Interview Details – I applied for a position via their careers site and was contacted by an HR person for a quick 10-15 minute call to gauge my interest and ensure I was still actively searching. I was then scheduled for a call with the hiring manager that was ~45 minutes to an hour long. After both of these interviews the decision was made to invite me out to Seattle (I live on the east coast) for an interview. After the scheduling of the trip i was given a brief agenda for my day of interviews. My day began at 9AM and lasted until 5PM with back-to-back interviews all day. I did not end up having an interview with more than one person, but I was interviewed by 7-8 different people throughout the day.

While this may sound daunting it was actually one of the best interview processes I have been through. I enjoyed the chance to have discussions with so many different people that were all engaging, smart, and passionate about their company and the customer. I will admit that after a full day of interviews I was pretty exhausted, but the overall process was well done and efficient. I left the interview with a clear picture of what the next steps were going to be and had all of my questions answered. Unfortunately I was not a match for this position, but based on my experience I would definitely apply to other positions if I found one that is the right fit for me.

Interview Question – I don't feel that there was any one question that caused me too much trouble and I never got the sense that there was one specific person who was trying to pin me down and raise the bar. However, all of the interviewers were very pointed in their questioning and had obviously done their homework on my skills and background which I appreciated.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details – Overall, the process was really long at 2.5 months but everyone that I worked with was friendly. Part of the delay was due to someone initially sending to the wrong email address (didn't check resume), but most was due to their schedules. I made it to the onsite interview in Seattle which seemed like an achievement. As a seasoned PM, I was not interviewing out of college but it seemed like it was geared toward that. I even obliged in submitting a writing sample (which I think only one person actually read).

All the questions were basically 'tell me about a time when...' with several follow-up questions like 'and then what happened' and 'what would've happened with the alternative', etc. I noticed that I had to repeat myself if I included the response to the follow-up in my original statement about the experience. It can through you off your train of thought at times. After about 5 solid hours of this, you've answered on more than a dozen experiences so it gets a little draining and feels over the top. Each person is tapping on their laptops recording your answers as you speak so it can feel a little impersonal too. I remember one person opening with a question meant for someone he was interviewing the next day. Yep, everyone's busy. ;)

Interview Question – It was unexpected to answer deep dive questions on everything and I expected more technical questions.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Interview Details – The interview consisted of 2 phone screens followed by a day onsite in Seattle. All people were smart and nice to speak to. They let me complete my thoughts (on cases) slightly nudging where needed. I enjoyed knowing more the work there.
Most of the interviews were either case questions with multiple layers or 'tell me about' questions. As long as you know the leadership principles and prepare you answers to reflect to those you should be good

Interview Question – how and when do we know we achieved least possible shipping costs?   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in November 2013.

Interview Details – Two rounds of phone interview. They are really focused on the leadership principals.
One long day of interview in Seattle. Very exhausting.

Interview Question – No weird questions. Mostly behavioral questions and past accomplishments.   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2013.

Interview Details – Submitted resume through internal system. Received email response within a week initiating process. Took online assessment, followed by two phone interviews. First interview was easy - just a resume walk and why amazon question. Second interview was more technical. Had difficulty understanding interviewer due to relatively strong accent, compounded by not so great phone connection. It never felt like we connected... I asked questions to clarify his questions, but it felt like we were talking in circles. I'm confident it would have gone differently if we were face-to-face. Nevertheless, everyone was very nice.

Interview Question – Discuss metrics for gauging product success. How do you define success. What data do you use to support.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – Recruited On-Campus First. Interview was hard. Case-Based and pushed a lot into every characteristic of the case

Interview Question – You go into the elevator and the CEO of a company Amazon wants to work with is there. Give me a 30 second pitch you would give him to get business from them. Second Round was 4, 45 minute interviews with different product managers at amazon. If you do badly in one you are basically done. I think all four of them have to say yes in order for you to get an offer. It's hard. They are very behavioral and ask about negotiations skills, teamwork, you must be metric oriented, etc. It's one of the toughest companies to interview with.   Answer Question

Irvine, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Interview Details – Recruiter reached out to me - possibly based on my LinkedIn profile. Talked to me for about 45 mins via phone. Followed by email from recruiting coordinator to setup in person call with hiring manager. I thought the call went fantastic, but got an email saying they are going with other people. And they could not provide more details on why the decision was made due to legal issues.

Interview Question – None really. Several posts on Glassdoor provide the questions - describe most difficult decision, talk about Amazon values, working with teams etc   Answer Question

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!