Amazon.com Senior Product Manager Interview Questions

Updated Mar 24, 2015
Updated Mar 24, 2015

3.5

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2015.

One phone screen, 30 to 60 minutes followed by a second phone screen. After the second phone screen I received a message from HR that they were considering other candidates and that my resume had been forwarded to other groups such that I may receive a call. The phone screens were cordial and productive. You only get the first name of the person conducting the interview, and so without a last name or title, it feels like you are coming in a little blind. Overall, the phone screens were positive.

Interview Questions
  • The questions were "behavior-based" and focused on ascertaining your background and fit to the Amazon Leadership Principles. The toughest question for me was to name a time that I made a mistake and explain how I addressed it.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Senior Product Manager Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Amazon.com.

2 rounds of campus interviews, each round 2 back to back interviews. All of the interviewers were product managers at Amazon and had a really good understanding. It was fun to go back and forth with Amazon product managers. I had a bit of a feeling that they played good cop bad cop. In both interview rounds, one interviewer was extremely nice and the other one kept a poker face.

Interview Questions
    • Introduce yourself. From there on all behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Pretty standard, great chat with another Sr. Product Manager. A recruiter reached out to me and invited me to interview with him. Both the HR and the interviewer were very professional and did their job well.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2015.

Flew to Seattle for the in-person interview after two phone interviews. I studied for hours the behavior interviewing questions online (googled) and matched with stories of my past. I expected some normal traditional interviewing, but that didn't happen. It was one of the most draining processes I've endured in years. They ask a NDA to be signed so no specifics can be discussed. My advice to you is to make sure you understand the core principles backwards and forwards. Also, make sure you dress cool. I made a mistake by dressing up. Read all of the Glassdoor interviews. Not just for this position, but any for management or specialized positions. I thought 99% I had the position, but was turned down. Everybody was really nice. The facility is amazing. The company is top-notch. They're just very niche in how they do things.

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral questions you can easily find on the internet pertaining to the Amazon leadership principles.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2015.

Overall it was a great experience and everyone I met along the way was extremely friendly. Had an initial phone interview and then a second phone interview. After the second phone interview, we mutually decided that a different position would be a better fit and soon thereafter I was invited to have a third phone interview (for a different job). At the end of the third phone interview, I was invited to Seattle for an onsite interview loop.

For each of the phone interviews, I was asked to provide 5 dates & times that would work for me and the best number to contact me. Shortly thereafter I received confirmation of the date & time. Each time, I was contacted right on the date / time the phone interview was scheduled for.

The recruiting coordinator I worked with made everything as easy as possible. The flight / hotel were booked by Amazon and they reimbursed me for reasonable daily expenses (meals, transportation, etc.). The interview itself was hard (7 people over 5 hours) but was still a very pleasant experience. Everyone was very friendly and professional.

The total process took 3 months but much of that had to do with multiple holidays and the fact that I started interviewing for a different job after the 2nd phone interview. It was only a few days after the first phone interview before I was asked for a 2nd interview. After the 2nd interview, it took a couple weeks before I was asked whether I was interested in a different position. When I said I was, it was only a few days before I was asked for dates & times for the third phone interview. The delay between my third phone interview and onsite interview was really driven by the fact that my start date for availability was still a few months away.

The only negative, other than the fact that I was not offered the job, was that I never actually heard from Amazon that I had not been selected. I had to check the website a week after my interview to see that my status was "Reviewed / Not Selected". However, with the number of people they probably interview, it's probably time consuming to notify everyone via an e-mail / phone call.

Interview Questions
    • I signed a non disclosure agreement so all I'll say is that the questions either had to do with what was on my resume or were "tell me about a time....." where they were looking for something tied to their leadership principles (Customer Obsession, Frugality, Think Big, etc.)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2015.

First an online assessment test.
    About 2 weeks after the assessment test got an email for that I have been shortlisted for further interview process for Senior Product Manager inter role.
    Two telephonic interviews. Both with different product managers and based on behavioral and case study questions. The didn't wasted much time towards the intro and small talk and jumped right on to the questions.

Interview Questions
    • Both the interviewers asked 1 behavioral and one case study question and than they really dig deep into your answers , asks a lot of questions about small details.   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2015.

Applied online. Was contacted by HR within a month. Had one phone interview and an onsite interview with 9 people.

The complete process was pleasant and professional. Applied for product management position, but interviewed with product managers, finance manager, project manager, GM and HR. They look at you from various angles.

9 interviews were back to back - for whole day.

Interview Questions
    • None really. Most questions revolve around Amazon's leadership principles - in particular customer obsession and ownership. I liked their interview methodology.   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2015.

It wasn't a great experience at all. It was a phone interview , he started by saying he is down with flu and he is not interested in knowing why I am interested in Amazon, he asked "just tell me what brings you here." That was his first question. He didn't ask any previous experience questions , he had his own set of questions from which he read out.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any tough questions, the tone of the interview wasn't good,As if he was forced to interview me.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2015.

I was contacted by an Amazon recruiter via LinkedIn. We had a brief conversation about my career background. He then matched my profile with few teams that were looking to hire. I was approached by an interested hiring manager and his peer each was an hour long conversation following the Adler method of one question drill down interviewing. I was asked to take a test and give a 4-6 page write up on an innovation I am proud of. Later I was invited for an onsite interview in Seattle which was with 6 individuals focused on the Amazon Leadership principles and my previous experiences that will align those those principles. The interview method was again Adler type - One initiative but drill deep with 15-20 questions on it.

Interview Questions
    • There were a few case questions as well to solve Amazon's existing business challenge such as how to grow Amazon Prime. Another question was how would I develop a product - I was given the option to pick any product I wanted.   View Answer
    My requests were reasonable and were accomodated

Senior Product Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Amazon.com contacted me via email and I worked closely with a recruiter that is specific to the product vertical (Amazon Global Prime). After a phone interview with the hiring manager and while I was a good fit for Amazon.com she wanted to transfer me to another role. The phone interview went well, but again the position was not the best fit as it was too technical for my nature. My recruiter told me that I am still a good fit for the company, but just not that position. I would have to relocate and decided to decline any further interviews at that time.

Interview Questions
    • For this business, they want to make sure that you are using data to back up what you are doing. This particular interview, they asked what features I would introduce into the vertical. Luckily, I was very familiar with the Prime and Seller Central.   Answer Question