Amazon.com

Getting the Interview

86 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Interview Details – The interview consisted of 2 phone screens followed by a day onsite in Seattle. All people were smart and nice to speak to. They let me complete my thoughts (on cases) slightly nudging where needed. I enjoyed knowing more the work there.
Most of the interviews were either case questions with multiple layers or 'tell me about' questions. As long as you know the leadership principles and prepare you answers to reflect to those you should be good

Interview Question – how and when do we know we achieved least possible shipping costs?   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in November 2013.

Interview Details – Two rounds of phone interview. They are really focused on the leadership principals.
One long day of interview in Seattle. Very exhausting.

Interview Question – No weird questions. Mostly behavioral questions and past accomplishments.   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2013.

Interview Details – Submitted resume through internal system. Received email response within a week initiating process. Took online assessment, followed by two phone interviews. First interview was easy - just a resume walk and why amazon question. Second interview was more technical. Had difficulty understanding interviewer due to relatively strong accent, compounded by not so great phone connection. It never felt like we connected... I asked questions to clarify his questions, but it felt like we were talking in circles. I'm confident it would have gone differently if we were face-to-face. Nevertheless, everyone was very nice.

Interview Question – Discuss metrics for gauging product success. How do you define success. What data do you use to support.   Answer Question

Irvine, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Interview Details – Recruiter reached out to me - possibly based on my LinkedIn profile. Talked to me for about 45 mins via phone. Followed by email from recruiting coordinator to setup in person call with hiring manager. I thought the call went fantastic, but got an email saying they are going with other people. And they could not provide more details on why the decision was made due to legal issues.

Interview Question – None really. Several posts on Glassdoor provide the questions - describe most difficult decision, talk about Amazon values, working with teams etc   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – Recruited On-Campus First. Interview was hard. Case-Based and pushed a lot into every characteristic of the case

Interview Question – You go into the elevator and the CEO of a company Amazon wants to work with is there. Give me a 30 second pitch you would give him to get business from them. Second Round was 4, 45 minute interviews with different product managers at amazon. If you do badly in one you are basically done. I think all four of them have to say yes in order for you to get an offer. It's hard. They are very behavioral and ask about negotiations skills, teamwork, you must be metric oriented, etc. It's one of the toughest companies to interview with.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details – I was first contacted by an Amazon HR recruiter, who then set up a telephone interview with the hiring manager upon confirmation of my interest in the role. The interview focused on previous experiences and resulting strengths and weaknesses. There was a brief introduction to the role being filled and team structure, as well as opportunity for Q&A at the end. The tone was friendly throughout.

Interview Question – What has been your greatest accomplishment and why?   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – 6 interviews. All on campus from B School - Focused on leadership, quick thinking/decision making, product thoughts and design

Interview Question – What is your definition of ownership?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2013.

Interview Details – 2 interviews in the first round and 2 interviews in the second, final round. Focus in the first round were on past work experience, industry/company knowledge, and tough behavioral questions. Second round interview was more of the previous, but also included difficult case questions. For the case questions, the interviewer wanted you to walk them through a business problem you might encounter as a product manager at Amazon.

Interview Question – How would you force a supplier (e.g. Nintendo, Sony) to sell more products on Amazon.com   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied to multiple positions at Amazon throughout my time in business school through the school's career management portal. I finally received an invite for a role within a fast growing division at the company.

1st Round: Hiring Manager (Director) discussed background and experience including prior roles at Amazon. Then transitioned to detailing current team and objective. This description was highly insightful and I recommend taking very detailed notes as it will help you prepare for later rounds. The interviewer then transitioned to describing the role (new position) they were hiring for and expectations for a successful candidate. Interviewer then opened for questions. This was followed by a competency based interview using the Adler "ONE QUESTION INTERVIEW METHOD" If you are not familiar with this format do yourself a favor and look it up. It is a variation of the typical Competency Behavioral Question, but requires a much deeper story than standard STAR response as it dives deep during follow-up questions. There was no typical walk me through your resume portion.

Initial Question: What do you consider your most impactful piece of work and why?

Follow-up Questions: How did you come to work on this particular project? How did you go about coming up with the initial analysis and recommendation? What was the project/product lifecycle? What were some interesting facts that you learned from the data? Who else was working with you on your team, what was your role? How did you present your findings to senior leadership? What was their response? How did you overcome initial pushback? What initiative did you take during the process? What was the result of the project?

Interview concluded with typical question and answer round followed by a brief description of candidacy process. 1 more phone round, plus on-site loop and possible written case. Received 2nd round telephone invite 2 days later, scheduling process was similar to 1st round.

2nd Round: Team member (Product Manager). The call had barely begun and the interviewer jumped into case interview. He had to pause and rewind to introduce himself when he realized he had just jumped in head first. The case was a very typical "interviewer-led" consulting case, where the business problem was based on actual Amazon problem. If you don't know what this is you desperately need to pick up either "Case in Point" or "Case Interview Secrets" by Victor Cheng. The case started was mixed (40/60) qualitative/quantitative where interviewer expected you to identify need to do market segmentation, sizing, and P&L estimation. There were -a lot- of numbers and towards the end of the case I tripped up several times inverting several numbers and also saying some pretty dumb sounding things. A full quant case is hard enough in person doing it while on the phone was exceptionally difficult. At the end of the case the interviewer wrapped up by asking for a recommendation. When I had made the recommendation which I knew was correct, he asked me "ok, but how are we going to do that?" After a few generic answers didn't satisfy him it was clear he was looking for a specific answer. I happened to nail it just as his patience seemed to be waning. Case took about 35-40 mins. The interview concluded with about 5 mins of Q&A.

After 2nd Round I though I was toast. I had tripped up towards the end of the case, and the only thing I could hope for was that I had earned enough points early on in the case to pass, but wasn't sure where the bar had been set. On a consulting case interview scale of (1-10) this case was at or above 8. Similar to late round McK & Co.

To my relief I was invited for on-site the following morning.

For the details on travel etc you can read up other on-site experiences on glassdoor.com, mine was close to identical.

On-site 5 Interview as follows: Hiring Manager, Non-Team Member (Senior Product Manager), Team Member (Sr. Product Manager), Team Member (Principal Product Manager), Team Member who first interviewed me (Senior Product Manager).

All the interviews were competency based interviews. Most, if not all followed previously mentioned Adler method. The principle product manager gave me what I guess would be considered bar raiser interview. It started off really friendly and then he started to turn up the heat. A lot of push back after my responses. How would you market yourself as a product?

Finished with brief meeting with recruiting manager to discuss feedback, go over salary expectations, relocation package, questions/concerns etc. Hiring manager gave me an exact date for when my evaluation meeting would take place and promised to contact me with a decision either that same day of the meeting or the next day.

Recruiting manager called on exact date as promised.

Interview Question – Adler style "One Question Interview", Full Quant Case Interview   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No Negotiation. Same offer as entire MBA class.

Senior Product Manager

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

Interview Details – One of the interviewers seemed nice but the other wasn't. I hear sometimes they tag team as good cop/bad cop. We were off to an awkward start when I mentioned the weather on the West Coast and my interviewer said Seattle wasn't on the West Coast.
The rest of the interview was ok. A resume walk-through, how I would improve the product, how I would communicate that to developers. I started to mention that I would prototype but I got the response "Product Managers don't code". Something to note for any future interviews with them.

Interview Question – Tell me of a time when you were wrong   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Amazon.com

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!

Amazon.com Videos

Amazon.com – Why Work for Us?

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amazon.com Senior Product Manager interview questions and advice. All 86 interview reviews posted anonymously by Amazon.com employees and interview candidates.