Amazon.com

Average Difficulty
89 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Interview Details – I informationally interviewed with current employees at Amazon who referred me to hiring teams. After the first interview, I didn't hear back for months. Then I got another employee to forward my resume, heard back right away, had 2 friendly behavioral interviews, and then flew in for a full day of about 5 interviews back to back. No technical questions were asked. Instead, they wanted to know about my experience. Definitely study the leadership principles and use the STAR method. If you're good at behavioral interviews, you'll probably do well. It was a great experience overall.

Interview Questions

• When was the last time you missed a deadline? Why?   View Answer
  • Name a time you had a conflict in a team. What about with a boss? When did you have difficult with something? What's a recent challenge you had? ---- In other words, prepare lots of conflict examples.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Had a better offer elsewhere but it was a tough decision.

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in November 2013.

Interview Details – I applied for a position via their careers site and was contacted by an HR person for a quick 10-15 minute call to gauge my interest and ensure I was still actively searching. I was then scheduled for a call with the hiring manager that was ~45 minutes to an hour long. After both of these interviews the decision was made to invite me out to Seattle (I live on the east coast) for an interview. After the scheduling of the trip i was given a brief agenda for my day of interviews. My day began at 9AM and lasted until 5PM with back-to-back interviews all day. I did not end up having an interview with more than one person, but I was interviewed by 7-8 different people throughout the day.

While this may sound daunting it was actually one of the best interview processes I have been through. I enjoyed the chance to have discussions with so many different people that were all engaging, smart, and passionate about their company and the customer. I will admit that after a full day of interviews I was pretty exhausted, but the overall process was well done and efficient. I left the interview with a clear picture of what the next steps were going to be and had all of my questions answered. Unfortunately I was not a match for this position, but based on my experience I would definitely apply to other positions if I found one that is the right fit for me.

Interview Question – I don't feel that there was any one question that caused me too much trouble and I never got the sense that there was one specific person who was trying to pin me down and raise the bar. However, all of the interviewers were very pointed in their questioning and had obviously done their homework on my skills and background which I appreciated.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details – Overall, the process was really long at 2.5 months but everyone that I worked with was friendly. Part of the delay was due to someone initially sending to the wrong email address (didn't check resume), but most was due to their schedules. I made it to the onsite interview in Seattle which seemed like an achievement. As a seasoned PM, I was not interviewing out of college but it seemed like it was geared toward that. I even obliged in submitting a writing sample (which I think only one person actually read).

All the questions were basically 'tell me about a time when...' with several follow-up questions like 'and then what happened' and 'what would've happened with the alternative', etc. I noticed that I had to repeat myself if I included the response to the follow-up in my original statement about the experience. It can through you off your train of thought at times. After about 5 solid hours of this, you've answered on more than a dozen experiences so it gets a little draining and feels over the top. Each person is tapping on their laptops recording your answers as you speak so it can feel a little impersonal too. I remember one person opening with a question meant for someone he was interviewing the next day. Yep, everyone's busy. ;)

Interview Question – It was unexpected to answer deep dive questions on everything and I expected more technical questions.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Interview Details – The interview consisted of 2 phone screens followed by a day onsite in Seattle. All people were smart and nice to speak to. They let me complete my thoughts (on cases) slightly nudging where needed. I enjoyed knowing more the work there.
Most of the interviews were either case questions with multiple layers or 'tell me about' questions. As long as you know the leadership principles and prepare you answers to reflect to those you should be good

Interview Question – how and when do we know we achieved least possible shipping costs?   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in November 2013.

Interview Details – Two rounds of phone interview. They are really focused on the leadership principals.
One long day of interview in Seattle. Very exhausting.

Interview Question – No weird questions. Mostly behavioral questions and past accomplishments.   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2013.

Interview Details – Submitted resume through internal system. Received email response within a week initiating process. Took online assessment, followed by two phone interviews. First interview was easy - just a resume walk and why amazon question. Second interview was more technical. Had difficulty understanding interviewer due to relatively strong accent, compounded by not so great phone connection. It never felt like we connected... I asked questions to clarify his questions, but it felt like we were talking in circles. I'm confident it would have gone differently if we were face-to-face. Nevertheless, everyone was very nice.

Interview Question – Discuss metrics for gauging product success. How do you define success. What data do you use to support.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – Recruited On-Campus First. Interview was hard. Case-Based and pushed a lot into every characteristic of the case

Interview Question – You go into the elevator and the CEO of a company Amazon wants to work with is there. Give me a 30 second pitch you would give him to get business from them. Second Round was 4, 45 minute interviews with different product managers at amazon. If you do badly in one you are basically done. I think all four of them have to say yes in order for you to get an offer. It's hard. They are very behavioral and ask about negotiations skills, teamwork, you must be metric oriented, etc. It's one of the toughest companies to interview with.   Answer Question

Irvine, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Interview Details – Recruiter reached out to me - possibly based on my LinkedIn profile. Talked to me for about 45 mins via phone. Followed by email from recruiting coordinator to setup in person call with hiring manager. I thought the call went fantastic, but got an email saying they are going with other people. And they could not provide more details on why the decision was made due to legal issues.

Interview Question – None really. Several posts on Glassdoor provide the questions - describe most difficult decision, talk about Amazon values, working with teams etc   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied to multiple positions at Amazon throughout my time in business school through the school's career management portal. I finally received an invite for a role within a fast growing division at the company.

1st Round: Hiring Manager (Director) discussed background and experience including prior roles at Amazon. Then transitioned to detailing current team and objective. This description was highly insightful and I recommend taking very detailed notes as it will help you prepare for later rounds. The interviewer then transitioned to describing the role (new position) they were hiring for and expectations for a successful candidate. Interviewer then opened for questions. This was followed by a competency based interview using the Adler "ONE QUESTION INTERVIEW METHOD" If you are not familiar with this format do yourself a favor and look it up. It is a variation of the typical Competency Behavioral Question, but requires a much deeper story than standard STAR response as it dives deep during follow-up questions. There was no typical walk me through your resume portion.

Initial Question: What do you consider your most impactful piece of work and why?

Follow-up Questions: How did you come to work on this particular project? How did you go about coming up with the initial analysis and recommendation? What was the project/product lifecycle? What were some interesting facts that you learned from the data? Who else was working with you on your team, what was your role? How did you present your findings to senior leadership? What was their response? How did you overcome initial pushback? What initiative did you take during the process? What was the result of the project?

Interview concluded with typical question and answer round followed by a brief description of candidacy process. 1 more phone round, plus on-site loop and possible written case. Received 2nd round telephone invite 2 days later, scheduling process was similar to 1st round.

2nd Round: Team member (Product Manager). The call had barely begun and the interviewer jumped into case interview. He had to pause and rewind to introduce himself when he realized he had just jumped in head first. The case was a very typical "interviewer-led" consulting case, where the business problem was based on actual Amazon problem. If you don't know what this is you desperately need to pick up either "Case in Point" or "Case Interview Secrets" by Victor Cheng. The case started was mixed (40/60) qualitative/quantitative where interviewer expected you to identify need to do market segmentation, sizing, and P&L estimation. There were -a lot- of numbers and towards the end of the case I tripped up several times inverting several numbers and also saying some pretty dumb sounding things. A full quant case is hard enough in person doing it while on the phone was exceptionally difficult. At the end of the case the interviewer wrapped up by asking for a recommendation. When I had made the recommendation which I knew was correct, he asked me "ok, but how are we going to do that?" After a few generic answers didn't satisfy him it was clear he was looking for a specific answer. I happened to nail it just as his patience seemed to be waning. Case took about 35-40 mins. The interview concluded with about 5 mins of Q&A.

After 2nd Round I though I was toast. I had tripped up towards the end of the case, and the only thing I could hope for was that I had earned enough points early on in the case to pass, but wasn't sure where the bar had been set. On a consulting case interview scale of (1-10) this case was at or above 8. Similar to late round McK & Co.

To my relief I was invited for on-site the following morning.

For the details on travel etc you can read up other on-site experiences on glassdoor.com, mine was close to identical.

On-site 5 Interview as follows: Hiring Manager, Non-Team Member (Senior Product Manager), Team Member (Sr. Product Manager), Team Member (Principal Product Manager), Team Member who first interviewed me (Senior Product Manager).

All the interviews were competency based interviews. Most, if not all followed previously mentioned Adler method. The principle product manager gave me what I guess would be considered bar raiser interview. It started off really friendly and then he started to turn up the heat. A lot of push back after my responses. How would you market yourself as a product?

Finished with brief meeting with recruiting manager to discuss feedback, go over salary expectations, relocation package, questions/concerns etc. Hiring manager gave me an exact date for when my evaluation meeting would take place and promised to contact me with a decision either that same day of the meeting or the next day.

Recruiting manager called on exact date as promised.

Interview Question – Adler style "One Question Interview", Full Quant Case Interview   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No Negotiation. Same offer as entire MBA class.

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details – I was first contacted by an Amazon HR recruiter, who then set up a telephone interview with the hiring manager upon confirmation of my interest in the role. The interview focused on previous experiences and resulting strengths and weaknesses. There was a brief introduction to the role being filled and team structure, as well as opportunity for Q&A at the end. The tone was friendly throughout.

Interview Question – What has been your greatest accomplishment and why?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Amazon.com

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!

Amazon.com Videos

Amazon.com – Why Work for Us?

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amazon.com Senior Product Manager interview questions and advice. All 89 interview reviews posted anonymously by Amazon.com employees and interview candidates.