Amazon.com

3.5

108 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2013.

On-campus interviewing at an MBA program. Two interviews of 30 minutes each (first round), then two interviews of 45 minutes each (second round). Two interviewers were product managers, two were product management directors. Their decision was communicated very rapidly - the very same evening as the second round interviews. Overall the interviewers were personable, empathetic, and easy to talk to. I had a very positive experience.

Interview Questions
  • You're a product manager on Kindle. The new recommendation feature for books on the Kindle has been getting negative feedback from customers. What do you do?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Senior Product Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2013.

This is PM for operations/logistics systems. Three rounds phone interviews, each of one hour. 20-30% behavioral questions + 70-80% case interviews.Cases may not be directly linked to this position, such as how to price Amazon Prime, how to manage the capacity of the warehouse (what factors you need to know, what are the relations between these factors, how to get these data, etc)., why sell neg profit margin goods. Overall, to answer them well, you need to have some knowledge of microeconomics, economical theory of organization, and maybe operations/logistics (I'm not sure. this is not my major). Then you need to be very logical.

The intervals between three rounds are half a month and a month! The most dramatic part is that I was forgotten/overlooked after being told the third round feedback was good. After my tenacious try to get connected with HR, the final on-site interview was scheduled in Seattle two months after.

four back-to-back interviews, totally three+ hours. Similarly, 60% of the time was case interviews. They asked many details and questioned my solutions. But I think this is a good way to test the logic and way of thinking of the candidates. 40% time were about behavioral questions and prior experiences. Due to NDA, I can't disclose specific questions. But one question already asked during phone interview (also listed above) was mentioned by three of them.

Because my English is not that good and I am not quite interested (so I didn't prepare much), I didn't perform well on site. Thank you letter was received upon inquiry one week later, because HR, again, forgot to send it out.

Interview Questions
    • Your weakness (it's said this kind of question is just for interviewers to get a good reason to decline you)   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2013.

HR reached out via email and then had two 30-min telephonic interviews - mostly behavioral - 'tell me about a time' questions along with a couple situational case questions. Got an update the very next day about being selected for final round interviews at Seattle. Four back to back interviews, again mostly behavioral around previous work ex and a couple of pricing and amazon product related questions

Interview Questions
    • Cannot provide the exact question (NDA) but it was related to a product strategy for their ongoing product implementation in the international market   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

4 business case interviews around product prioritization, managing relationships with dev team, business development, and market sizing. Fairly structured process, all interviews focused partly on why amazon and why now.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in May 2013.

I was contacted by a recruiter for a position with one of the teams at Amazon. Recruiter was really great to work with. The entire team, in fact, was great to work with throughout the process. They care a lot about your experience so if something is really bugging you, do not hesitate to politely express your thoughts and request assistance. Most of the time they'll do their best to accommodate your requests.

1. Recruiter reached out to see if I was interested in the role.
    2. Setup 2 phone screens, which went really well. Very situational. All about your experience and ability to think critically about problem solving. How did you solve x,y,z? If you had to fix something at Amazon, what would it be? How would you fix it? Who would be the people to help you? How would you pick your team? What are the steps you take in Product Management?
    3. In-person interviews on-site in Seattle. About 6-7 people back-to-back from morning to evening, including lunch. But again, all very nice. All very easy to work with. Take a lot of water breaks and bathroom breaks to compose yourself. Don't think that if I am a spartan I'll get the job... :)
    3A. The bar raiser interview for Product Managers is very situational... Examples of questions:
    - How do you define/decide if software is working?
    - Tell me about a time that you started fixing something small and then realized it was much bigger... how did you solve that?
    - And a lot of other tell me about a time...
    3B. Take hints from interviewers. You need to listen VERY carefully. If they say, "hey take a look at this. Feel free to click around anywhere..." then click EVERYwhere. Just do your best to make sure they know you're listening to them.
    3C. Don't be afraid to state the obvious. If there's a part of the process in testing that you think and know from your experience is manual and is NOT the best answer but is how things are done, then state it. QA requires hands and sometimes not in the technical sense.
    3D. Nothing too technical but be prepared to think analytically. Don't be afraid to use the blackboard. Get up there and talk them through what you're thinking. GO WITH YOUR GUT. It is almost always right. If you were selected to interview and passed the first 2 rounds, then you are almost at the finish line which means that at least 3 people believed you have what it takes. So showcase that. Don't second guess yourself!

Other tips:
    - Know ALL the leadership principles and do your best to tell your stories in a way that reflects those principles. Don't be obvious as that will sound rehearsed. And if the leadership principles don't resonate then definitely reconsider applying.
    - Ask a lot of questions and GOOD ones. Don't just ask questions for the sake of asking... and don't be afraid to ask more about the project or program. A lot of what Amazon does is "under the covers" and there are NDAs that candidates sign, so once you get in there, ask about the program, the project, the "why" or the "so what" to make sure you know what the project is like

Interview Questions
    • All situational questions. Look at leadership principles. Find stories for each. Make sure you are very well versed in your strengths AND weaknesses. Answer questions using STAR (so practice a lot otherwise you will ramble without realizing it).   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com in July 2013.

Kudos to Amazon for having a very efficient interview process! Was reached out by a recruiter who then set the wheels in motion with regards to the process:
    --- 2 phone screens
    --- If pass second phone screen, you fly up to Seattle to meet with 6-7 people

It was recommended to fly in the night before the interview date so you can be fully rested and it was great to get a chance to see a bit of Seattle.

One of the team members that I met represented HR who then informed me of the next steps and when I would expect an answer.

Team members included product peers, hiring manager, hiring manager's manager, finance, ops and dev.

Everyone was pleasant to talk to and made me feel at ease. Though I didn't get an offer, the experience still left me with an overall positive experience of the company.

Interview Questions
    • This was an unexpected question for me (also the last interview at the end of a very long day): What products do you feel missed the mark?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I really enjoyed this. Some might find it daunting, but I got the chance to meet nine amazingly talented people in one afternoon. The questions were targeted and deep and engaging. I can't recommend them highly enough.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in May 2013.

Two 30 minutes phone interviews. Combination of case-type situational questions and fit questions.

Interview Questions
    • Question surrounding a very specific launch of a product.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in April 2013.

I received initial communication from a recruiter that arranged a phone call with the hiring manager. I had a 45min interview with the hiring manager. Later I was called in for a whole day of interviews. During this period, HR called me and informed me the type of the interview and what the interviewers are looking in the interviewee. Mostly be prepared for STAR stories around Amazon leadership principles. This happened pretty fast in two days. I was flown in the following week.

I did not know who I was meeting, but the whole day was filled with 45minute interviews with 5-6 interviewers.

Most of the interview is straightforward. Questions are situational, behavioral and leadership oriented.

Interview Questions
    • There are questions from strategy, market sizing, pricing and some technical questions around the position you are interviewing.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

There are two rounds. Two interviewers in the first round and four interviewers in the second round. First round is phone interview and second round is face-to-face interview.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think about the offering of discount on gift wrap?   View Answer