Amazon.com Senior Product Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jun 29, 2015

3.5

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Irvine, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

Phone interview. The guy interviewing me was talking to me on speaker, "multi tasking" I could not hear him well and he seemed upset with me that I could not hear him. My former VP is a VP at Amazon and 3 of my former co-workers are working at Amazon, I was very excited to have the opportunity. Disappointed that Amazon lets the employee's act so arrogant and disrespectful. I was well prepared for an interview that gave me no chance. Hopefully most people will not encounter this.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Senior Product Manager Interview

Application

interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

Interview

The process was thorough although for a Product Role I was expecting a lot of questions around the product and what I would do with a product for the role I was interviewing for. However, what I encountered was multiple interviews where almost everyone asked me the same questions just in a different way. One of the interviewers actually told me he was reading off the interview question sheet - I thought that was strange as the company I am at now, if we interview for product roles we want to know how product plans, roadmaps, strategies, analytics, etc... have been done in the past and we are interested in the tangible products the candidate has created.

The interviewers were obviously a smart team and had good questions about numbers and a lot of questions about statistical decision making - which is fine - maybe the product I was applying for was an analytics tool instead of what I thought it was :)

Interview Questions

• Name a time you made a big decision based on metrics - was an odd question to me - I don't just use metrics to make decisions, the metrics guide people to look deeper into the area, not jump to decisions. My opinion!   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com (Philadelphia, PA) in September 2014.

Interview

Two back-to-back 30-minute interviews in first round, second round on next day is back-to-back 45-minute interview. Decision provided that evening. Questions tended to be behavioral, with one case from each interviewer. Interviewers want to hear about how you'd apply your skills to meet the company's core principles, especially "customer obsession".

Interview Questions

• Describe the pros and cons of Amazon introducing a white label liquor product.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Phone interview with hiring manager and colleagues. In-person interview with management and staff. The interview did not seem difficult or challenging. Seems like a good company for beginning graduates but not so much for families.

Interview Questions

• All questions were normal expected interview questions.   Answer Question

No work/life balance. I was told the typical week would consist of 50-60 hours a week. At least i could put some of those hours in after the my kids sleep. I guess I have different opinion on work/life balance.

Senior Product Manager Interview

Interview

Overall, the process was really long at 2.5 months but everyone that I worked with was friendly. Part of the delay was due to someone initially sending to the wrong email address (didn't check resume), but most was due to their schedules. I made it to the onsite interview in Seattle which seemed like an achievement. As a seasoned PM, I was not interviewing out of college but it seemed like it was geared toward that. I even obliged in submitting a writing sample (which I think only one person actually read).

All the questions were basically 'tell me about a time when...' with several follow-up questions like 'and then what happened' and 'what would've happened with the alternative', etc. I noticed that I had to repeat myself if I included the response to the follow-up in my original statement about the experience. It can through you off your train of thought at times. After about 5 solid hours of this, you've answered on more than a dozen experiences so it gets a little draining and feels over the top. Each person is tapping on their laptops recording your answers as you speak so it can feel a little impersonal too. I remember one person opening with a question meant for someone he was interviewing the next day. Yep, everyone's busy. ;)

Interview Questions

• It was unexpected to answer deep dive questions on everything and I expected more technical questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in March 2014.

Interview

I informationally interviewed with current employees at Amazon who referred me to hiring teams. After the first interview, I didn't hear back for months. Then I got another employee to forward my resume, heard back right away, had 2 friendly behavioral interviews, and then flew in for a full day of about 5 interviews back to back. No technical questions were asked. Instead, they wanted to know about my experience. Definitely study the leadership principles and use the STAR method. If you're good at behavioral interviews, you'll probably do well. It was a great experience overall.

Interview Questions

• When was the last time you missed a deadline? Why?   1 Answer
    • Name a time you had a conflict in a team. What about with a boss? When did you have difficult with something? What's a recent challenge you had? ---- In other words, prepare lots of conflict examples.   Answer Question

Had a better offer elsewhere but it was a tough decision.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in October 2013.

Interview

I applied to multiple positions at Amazon throughout my time in business school through the school's career management portal. I finally received an invite for a role within a fast growing division at the company.

1st Round: Hiring Manager (Director) discussed background and experience including prior roles at Amazon. Then transitioned to detailing current team and objective. This description was highly insightful and I recommend taking very detailed notes as it will help you prepare for later rounds. The interviewer then transitioned to describing the role (new position) they were hiring for and expectations for a successful candidate. Interviewer then opened for questions. This was followed by a competency based interview using the Adler "ONE QUESTION INTERVIEW METHOD" If you are not familiar with this format do yourself a favor and look it up. It is a variation of the typical Competency Behavioral Question, but requires a much deeper story than standard STAR response as it dives deep during follow-up questions. There was no typical walk me through your resume portion.

Initial Question: What do you consider your most impactful piece of work and why?

Follow-up Questions: How did you come to work on this particular project? How did you go about coming up with the initial analysis and recommendation? What was the project/product lifecycle? What were some interesting facts that you learned from the data? Who else was working with you on your team, what was your role? How did you present your findings to senior leadership? What was their response? How did you overcome initial pushback? What initiative did you take during the process? What was the result of the project?

Interview concluded with typical question and answer round followed by a brief description of candidacy process. 1 more phone round, plus on-site loop and possible written case. Received 2nd round telephone invite 2 days later, scheduling process was similar to 1st round.

2nd Round: Team member (Product Manager). The call had barely begun and the interviewer jumped into case interview. He had to pause and rewind to introduce himself when he realized he had just jumped in head first. The case was a very typical "interviewer-led" consulting case, where the business problem was based on actual Amazon problem. If you don't know what this is you desperately need to pick up either "Case in Point" or "Case Interview Secrets" by Victor Cheng. The case started was mixed (40/60) qualitative/quantitative where interviewer expected you to identify need to do market segmentation, sizing, and P&L estimation. There were -a lot- of numbers and towards the end of the case I tripped up several times inverting several numbers and also saying some pretty dumb sounding things. A full quant case is hard enough in person doing it while on the phone was exceptionally difficult. At the end of the case the interviewer wrapped up by asking for a recommendation. When I had made the recommendation which I knew was correct, he asked me "ok, but how are we going to do that?" After a few generic answers didn't satisfy him it was clear he was looking for a specific answer. I happened to nail it just as his patience seemed to be waning. Case took about 35-40 mins. The interview concluded with about 5 mins of Q&A.

After 2nd Round I though I was toast. I had tripped up towards the end of the case, and the only thing I could hope for was that I had earned enough points early on in the case to pass, but wasn't sure where the bar had been set. On a consulting case interview scale of (1-10) this case was at or above 8. Similar to late round McK & Co.

To my relief I was invited for on-site the following morning.

For the details on travel etc you can read up other on-site experiences on glassdoor.com, mine was close to identical.

On-site 5 Interview as follows: Hiring Manager, Non-Team Member (Senior Product Manager), Team Member (Sr. Product Manager), Team Member (Principal Product Manager), Team Member who first interviewed me (Senior Product Manager).

All the interviews were competency based interviews. Most, if not all followed previously mentioned Adler method. The principle product manager gave me what I guess would be considered bar raiser interview. It started off really friendly and then he started to turn up the heat. A lot of push back after my responses. How would you market yourself as a product?

Finished with brief meeting with recruiting manager to discuss feedback, go over salary expectations, relocation package, questions/concerns etc. Hiring manager gave me an exact date for when my evaluation meeting would take place and promised to contact me with a decision either that same day of the meeting or the next day.

Recruiting manager called on exact date as promised.

Interview Questions

• Adler style "One Question Interview", Full Quant Case Interview   Answer Question

Negotiation

No Negotiation. Same offer as entire MBA class.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Recruited On-Campus First. Interview was hard. Case-Based and pushed a lot into every characteristic of the case

Interview Questions

• You go into the elevator and the CEO of a company Amazon wants to work with is there. Give me a 30 second pitch you would give him to get business from them. Second Round was 4, 45 minute interviews with different product managers at amazon. If you do badly in one you are basically done. I think all four of them have to say yes in order for you to get an offer. It's hard. They are very behavioral and ask about negotiations skills, teamwork, you must be metric oriented, etc. It's one of the toughest companies to interview with.   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

Interview

I was first contacted by an Amazon HR recruiter, who then set up a telephone interview with the hiring manager upon confirmation of my interest in the role. The interview focused on previous experiences and resulting strengths and weaknesses. There was a brief introduction to the role being filled and team structure, as well as opportunity for Q&A at the end. The tone was friendly throughout.

Senior Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

6 interviews. All on campus from B School - Focused on leadership, quick thinking/decision making, product thoughts and design

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None