Amazon.com

Average Difficulty
98 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details – 4 business case interviews around product prioritization, managing relationships with dev team, business development, and market sizing. Fairly structured process, all interviews focused partly on why amazon and why now.

Interview Question – Heres 10 million dollars, what will you go build?   Answer Question

Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2013.

Interview Details – Kudos to Amazon for having a very efficient interview process! Was reached out by a recruiter who then set the wheels in motion with regards to the process:
--- 2 phone screens
--- If pass second phone screen, you fly up to Seattle to meet with 6-7 people

It was recommended to fly in the night before the interview date so you can be fully rested and it was great to get a chance to see a bit of Seattle.

One of the team members that I met represented HR who then informed me of the next steps and when I would expect an answer.

Team members included product peers, hiring manager, hiring manager's manager, finance, ops and dev.

Everyone was pleasant to talk to and made me feel at ease. Though I didn't get an offer, the experience still left me with an overall positive experience of the company.

Interview Question – This was an unexpected question for me (also the last interview at the end of a very long day): What products do you feel missed the mark?   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in May 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter for a position with one of the teams at Amazon. Recruiter was really great to work with. The entire team, in fact, was great to work with throughout the process. They care a lot about your experience so if something is really bugging you, do not hesitate to politely express your thoughts and request assistance. Most of the time they'll do their best to accommodate your requests.

1. Recruiter reached out to see if I was interested in the role.
2. Setup 2 phone screens, which went really well. Very situational. All about your experience and ability to think critically about problem solving. How did you solve x,y,z? If you had to fix something at Amazon, what would it be? How would you fix it? Who would be the people to help you? How would you pick your team? What are the steps you take in Product Management?
3. In-person interviews on-site in Seattle. About 6-7 people back-to-back from morning to evening, including lunch. But again, all very nice. All very easy to work with. Take a lot of water breaks and bathroom breaks to compose yourself. Don't think that if I am a spartan I'll get the job... :)
3A. The bar raiser interview for Product Managers is very situational... Examples of questions:
- How do you define/decide if software is working?
- Tell me about a time that you started fixing something small and then realized it was much bigger... how did you solve that?
- And a lot of other tell me about a time...
3B. Take hints from interviewers. You need to listen VERY carefully. If they say, "hey take a look at this. Feel free to click around anywhere..." then click EVERYwhere. Just do your best to make sure they know you're listening to them.
3C. Don't be afraid to state the obvious. If there's a part of the process in testing that you think and know from your experience is manual and is NOT the best answer but is how things are done, then state it. QA requires hands and sometimes not in the technical sense.
3D. Nothing too technical but be prepared to think analytically. Don't be afraid to use the blackboard. Get up there and talk them through what you're thinking. GO WITH YOUR GUT. It is almost always right. If you were selected to interview and passed the first 2 rounds, then you are almost at the finish line which means that at least 3 people believed you have what it takes. So showcase that. Don't second guess yourself!

Other tips:
- Know ALL the leadership principles and do your best to tell your stories in a way that reflects those principles. Don't be obvious as that will sound rehearsed. And if the leadership principles don't resonate then definitely reconsider applying.
- Ask a lot of questions and GOOD ones. Don't just ask questions for the sake of asking... and don't be afraid to ask more about the project or program. A lot of what Amazon does is "under the covers" and there are NDAs that candidates sign, so once you get in there, ask about the program, the project, the "why" or the "so what" to make sure you know what the project is like

Interview Question – All situational questions. Look at leadership principles. Find stories for each. Make sure you are very well versed in your strengths AND weaknesses. Answer questions using STAR (so practice a lot otherwise you will ramble without realizing it).   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – I really enjoyed this. Some might find it daunting, but I got the chance to meet nine amazingly talented people in one afternoon. The questions were targeted and deep and engaging. I can't recommend them highly enough.

Interview Question – Lots of questions about analytics.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in May 2013.

Interview Details – Two 30 minutes phone interviews. Combination of case-type situational questions and fit questions.

Interview Question – Question surrounding a very specific launch of a product.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2013.

Interview Details – I received initial communication from a recruiter that arranged a phone call with the hiring manager. I had a 45min interview with the hiring manager. Later I was called in for a whole day of interviews. During this period, HR called me and informed me the type of the interview and what the interviewers are looking in the interviewee. Mostly be prepared for STAR stories around Amazon leadership principles. This happened pretty fast in two days. I was flown in the following week.

I did not know who I was meeting, but the whole day was filled with 45minute interviews with 5-6 interviewers.

Most of the interview is straightforward. Questions are situational, behavioral and leadership oriented.

Interview Question – There are questions from strategy, market sizing, pricing and some technical questions around the position you are interviewing.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2013.

Interview Details – I had applied via Amazon.com's website. Several weeks later I was contacted by the hiring manager to confirm that I am truly interested in the position. He then had someone in HR arrange a 1 hour telephone interview with him. The interview was probably 50/50 questions relating directly to the position and questions relating to my skills/methods as a product manager. Although I felt that I had answered the questions well, I could tell that he lost his enthusiasm with my candidacy by the end of the interview.

Interview Question – Where do I see myself 5-10 years from now?   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – There are two rounds. Two interviewers in the first round and four interviewers in the second round. First round is phone interview and second round is face-to-face interview.

Interview Question – What do you think about the offering of discount on gift wrap?   View Answer

Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2013.

Interview Details – First round: I had a couple of 30min phone interviews with product managers. I have been asked general questions such as "why Amazon" and "Why product management". In the first interview I had a mini-case question and in the second one I was given a market sizing question.

Final round: I was invited to Seattle for a final round interview. I had 4 interview with different people, about 45 minutes each. I was asked lots of fit/personal experience questions: "tell me about a time you had to explain a technical issue to senior management", "what is your most significant career achievement", etc. Also some Amazon-specific questions: "what is your favorite Amazon product and why", "why Amazon" etc. Each interviewer also gave me at least one mini case, e.g. "how would you design an online billing system", "how would you change an Amazon webpage to increase sales".

Interview Question – Suppose that Amazon was to build a robot and offer it online through Amazon.com. How would you decide which features to include in it?   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – 2 phone rounds, one onsite round with 5 interviews. One written essay before the on-site round.
All rounds had case questions, except the one with the Director where he asked strategy related questions.

Interview Question – How will you improve the iphone   Answer Question