Amazon.com Senior Research Scientist Interview Questions

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Senior Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in October 2012.

A good friend of mine that served on my PhD committee told me about this position. I got so excited, I found several jobs on the Amazon web site and applied for all of them. I bombed the first interview with different group. I was then able to have two interviews for the job. I was invited for an on-site interview. It was probably the most in-depth interview of my career. They asked me about programming, signal processing and other related topics. At first, I wasn't sure if I would get a job offer.

Interview Questions
  • Given a set of strings, find the equivalence classes of permuted strings. This threw me for a loop because it's been a while since I have done string manipulations.   View Answer
They matched my salary expectations. My wife wanted a little bit more on base salary after seeing the prices of real estate in Seattle. They agreed to increase it a little. They were very easy to contact and negotiate with.