Amazon.com

Updated Dec 2, 2014

3.8

12 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I have applied directly to amazon website and got an email from HR. My first round was telephonic round and they asked for computer access during interview for programming. Interviewer gave me 2 programs to make in 60 minutes,

Interview Questions
  • Both programs were very difficult. They were related to data structure (tree and linked list). Asked complexities and search algorithms   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in June 2014.

There's usually very little information from the recruiters on interview process or the groups that is taking the interview. Generally this info can be obtained from the interviewers.
    There were 2 phone interviews, both last for about an hour. Most questions were generic about algorithms and data structures etc. Nothing specific on any language or OS.
    After a long 3 week wait there was an invitation for in house interview. That too took 2 weeks to schedule, but no big deal.
    The in house interview lasted for about 4 or so hours. There's some new wave of interviewing called behavioral interviews. I don't understand it, but I seriously doubt its working OR the interviews know what to ask and how to interpret. Of course I'm sure they are trained, but not everybody learns what the non-techie expects techies to learn.

Interview Questions
    • Design kind of questions are usually difficult questions. Mainly because they are hypothetical situations and not necessarily straight forward design. Of course the interviewer is always ready to help, but they have already prepared for it. We have to think and come up with some answer is next 5-15 minutes, to even start a discussion. That part is usually difficult.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

I was contacted by recruiter on linked in. The process took 3/4 weeks. There were 5 face to face interviews.

Interview Questions
    • I can not disclose interview questions. But here is my experience and tips …
      1) During interview every interviewer was taking notes … they write down what you say.
      2) The questions are not very difficult. Practice well. Practice the thinking process to solve the problem. Know time complexities. VERY VERY IMP - practice writing code on paper.
      3) Preparation: After reading other blogs I somehow gave little importance to graphs, and I got question on graph :(. Prepare on arrays, strings, trees and don't forget graph. Also dynamic programming will be helpful. Hash data structure is important and keep it in mind always while solving problems. Also its very important to read AWS interview blogs, glass door, career cup etc. and solve the problems posted there. If you are not currently interviewing I will suggest you to prepare for 4 weeks (prepare with writing code on paper) before the interview.
      4) Amazon do concentrate on leadership principles and ask many questions related to behavior etc. So prepare it very well. These questions like 'why amazon' are important and can be phrased into multiple ways.
      5) Design questions: Ask questions while solving to clarify and keep on building the system … do some practice at home. I will suggest to first concentrate on computer science questions like OS, file system design and then work on more generic like design coffee shop etc.

Overall the interview is not difficult. Every engineer/manager I met were awesome, they help you solve the problem. (In one of my interview I was working on to find better algorithm myself, but the interviewer was so excited that he kept on asking questions which will lead to hints … :) )

Good Luck!

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in October 2012.

I have a friend at Lab126, a subsidiary of Amazon located in Cupertino, who referred me for a job with his team. I was prompty contacted by a friendly recruiter from Seattle, passed on to the hiring manager and had a first phone interview. First phone interview covered some simple coding questions using collabedit (a big improvement over verbally describing code!). It was apparent to me that I aced this interview, and indeed I did. So a second phone interview was set for the next week. In this interview I was asked one very difficult question which I was totally unprepared for -- I've never seen one like it before or since. I was pretty boggled by this question and made a crucial mistake, I just started coding it before really working out the algorithm. Recommendation: talk it out and describe the algorithm fully before you write any code!

I did barely squeak through this interview and so was contacted by another friendly recruiter in Cupertino to setup an onsite interview in Cupertino the following week. Unfortunately the airfare got messed up (be sure to confirm air reservations within 24 hours even if its over the weekend!) so we pushed it back til the next week. The whole interviewing process stretched out over about 4 weeks.

I studied coding questions intensively in preparation for the onsite interview, I should have prepared before the phone interviews too. This did serve me well in the onsite interview.

Since I was flying from Florida and wanted to stay extra days to check out real estate, they were kind enough to book me two nights (they usually only do one). They also set me up for a rental car which I had to get reimbursed for. The hotel was very nice, literally right next to Lab126 building where I had my interviews, I was able to simply walk over there.

Onsite interview involved 4 coding interviews (1 of which was by video since the guy was in Seattle) and then an interview with the manager of the team I was being interviewed for (while I wolfed down a mediocre sandwich from a catering company). I was out by 2PM, not quite the full day interview I've heard described by others. 3 of the 4 interviews were dead on, I answered the coding questions very well and in timely fashion and the interviewers gave me positive feedback. Unfortunately, the hard one was the bar raiser and I fumbled on that one a bit. This was a question about designing a reservation system for a restaurant -- obvioulsy impossible to code that in one hour. I think the key to these types of questions is to talk it out. My interview with the manager was hard to read, she wanted to know things like what other companies was I interviewing at, did I have any interest in management, etc.

At the end I had a brief interview with HR person who was friendly. She wanted to talk about HR things like relocation, salary, etc.

Ultimately I received a pretty standard corporate "No thanks" e-mail. For me, it was disappointing but probably just as well since the real estate in Silicon Valley area is ridiculously expensive! I was going to feel like I'd gotten a cut in pay given the salary I was likely to receive.

Interview Questions
    • Write a function to allocated two dimensional rectangles within a larger area.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in May 2012.

I had initially applied to a position in their Cambridge office, but a recruiter from one of the Seattle offices found it and contacted me. We scheduled a phone interview for the next week.

The first phone interview involved coding. Specifically, there was an algorithm question that was followed by a design question. This interview felt like it went well. About an hour after the interview, I received an email asking for a second phone interview.

The second phone interview was much like the first. However, in addition to a design and algorithmic question, I was also posed a straightforward topology/architecture question. This interview also felt like it went well. The next day, they contacted to schedule an on-site interview.

Both phone interviews were conducted on a real-time text-sharing and -editing website (in addition to the phone).

I am not located in Seattle, so I was flown out about 10 days after the second phone interview. Amazon put me up at a nice hotel and covered all of the expenses for my trip, which ended up being three days and two nights.

My on-site interview consisted of seven back-to-back interviews. Five of them were technical and comprised of a good mix of algorithm and design questions with a bias towards algorithms. The majority of these interviews were 45 minutes and we used every last moment. In some of the interviews, I was given a couple minutes to ask questions. Some of my technical interviewers did not have a copy of my resume and did not seem interested in my work history. A few of the interviewers were not members of the hiring team. In additional to the technical interviews, I had lunch with the hiring manager, where I was given plenty of time to ask questions. The manager also took some time to ask me a few non-technical questions. Finally, there was a brief interview with an HR representative to discuss logistics.

Overall, I felt the interview went well.

I received an offer approximately two business days after the on-site interview.

Interview Questions
    • Given a trie and a prefix, find the word (in the trie) that starts with some subsequence of the prefix and also has the longest such subsequence.   View Answers (2)

Amazon made an attractive offer, but I decided that moving to Seattle wasn't something I wanted to do.

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

Amazon HR got my resume for one of the job portals and they contacted me for this job requirement. They had planned for a Face-to-Face interviews with few selected candidates in our City. I was been informed that there would be 3 technical rounds and if got selected we'll be called onsite for few more rounds. The first round was general problem solving round. The interviewer asked me 2 problems: 1) Given a array and a sum, find all the pairs in the array which have the given sum. 2) Given a BST you need to identify swapped nodes

Interview Questions
    • 1) Given a array and a sum, find all the pairs in the array which have the given sum. 2) Given a BST you need to identify swapped nodes   View Answers (3)

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Phone interview, then on-site interview. it was easy. I found it quite easy, understanding, helpful, legimate, not-forcefull, helped to releave. It could be more and more and more and even more effecient but it couldn't be more than ever in the field of the area without considering everything that they could offer to people who helped a lot on the field in the area.

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Amazon.com.

1. Phone interview with the recruiter (30 - 40 mins).
    2. Phone interview with an engineer (1 hour).

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in July 2012.

Very good hiring process. They mandate interview to be on the weekday

Interview Questions
    • Lot of questions on the datastructure might be easier to remember all those stuff right out of college but after 9 years of expereince its very difficult   View Answers (2)

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com in May 2012.

Initial Phone Interview, then an interview with Sr. Project Manager and then Interview onsite with team 1:1, Director and Sr. Manager. (This was amazon acquired company audible.com)

From the benefits point of view it is good company, from culture very UN-natural. You hardly see people mingle or talk. Most of them are in there own place. Too subdued, quite and seemed very unnatural.

With the interview process, I found mostly incompetent senior leadership. They had no direction or a valuable insight. Team and people I found where very polite, nice but not much depth in technology. Most junior to mid level talent. They like to bring in fresh talent and tailor to the needs and culture of the company. But sounded and looked very fake. If they see you as a treat in interview process you will not be extended any offers. They will advertise high salary for the positions so that they get as much as information possibly from competing company talent which use to better their operations, delivery and engineering. This is very typical of Google, Amazon and Apple. Not worth working in my opinion if you are a senior talent person with can do attitude. From the interviews I guessed based on their input on the questions I asked they were lagging very much in technology, implementation, integration, delivery and operations. But mostly management aspect was very weak and sad.

Interview Questions
    • What iOS classes would you use to design a multi-level garage and how would you make sure the car you have parked in the space is tagged and you have the ability to find it again. Note: Remember this is designing virtual garage app.   Answer Question
    • What database fields are necessary to tie in online comments and reviews to tie into the product sale of an audio book item? Note: They explain and go through the exercise with you on how you approach solutions and design.   Answer Question