Amazon.com

Average Difficulty
76 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I interviewed at Amazon.com in May 2013.

Interview Details – Amazon HR called me describing the opportunity and asking whether I am interested. They were in New York for interview and after brief updates on my resume, I was selected for the final round interview.

Interview Question – How would you write a software for dna matching.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – I had a telephonic interview with Amazon and was asked a couple of questions.
1. Given an array of numbers (+ve , -ve) and a number k, return true if any two numbers sum up to k.
    This question tests datastructure (Hashmap) and BST knowledge.
2. Design an online airline reservation system.

Senior Software Engineer

I applied online and interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – A few days after applying online I was emailed to do a phone interview.

Interview Question – Asked to write a method were it's passed an array of numbers and a single number. I needed to return true if there was two numbers in the array that if added totaled the single number. I was then asked to rewrite it to make it run faster.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Interview Details – Three phone interviews: 1 with recruiter and then 2 technical, full day on-site interview of technical questions. Only allowed to interview one team at a time which is a bit unusual for a large company. Promises of being able to interview on other teams afterward was false. Other teams had directly (direct contact) expressed strong interest if first team wasn't a fit, but emails now go unanswered.

Interview Question – No questions particularly difficult: graph path finding, binary search tree, design a chess game   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – I applied online and got an invite for interview. All technical with in depth and through drill on
data structures, algorithms etc

Interview Question – They asked about AWS and gave a use case about Big data.   View Answer

Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – I had a tech phone screen that lasted about one hour. The phone call consisted of the interviewer (Brad) talking allot about himself and what he does for Amazon AIV. He then asked about my current job, but didn't seem very interested nor asked any follow-up questions. Finally, I was asked to write code for the puzzle Sudoku in which I would verify the correctness of the puzzle. I wrote a clever hash algorithm that would require only one pass of the each plane (horizontal, vertical, matrix). I designed it to be scalable much beyond a typical 9x9 matrix.

Interview Question – What is the Big O for this algorithm   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in November 2013.

Interview Details – The first part of the interview was quick. I applied online (via their careers page I think) and received a phone call within a week to schedule a phone interview.

The phone interview was pretty much what I expected, wasn't very difficult. They ask questions about your resume and experience and follow up with technical questions. Mostly CS theory questions like data structures and big-O notation. They also ask you to do some small coding exercises using collabedit.com. They gave me a problem to solve (can't recall what it was now) and after I answered they asked me to implement the algorithm using my language of choice.

A few weeks later I was flown to Seattle for an in-person interview. The position I was interested in is in California, but the in-person interview was still in Seattle... this was weird for me.

Anyway, the in-person interview was exhausting to say the least. It went from 10:30 to 3:30 if I recall. We didn't even really break for lunch. I *had* lunch -- we walked to a nearby restaurant -- but it was with an interviewer who quizzed me the whole time. It was an endless string of interviewers coming in and out. Each one with a slightly different flavour. This part is mostly what I expected, but the exhausting thing was that none of them were allocated enough time for their questions. I was essentially rushed for 5 hours straight. Before leaving, every single interviewer said "I usually take the time now to let you ask some questions, but as you can see the next interviewer is already waiting outside" and then he'd shake my hand and leave. I never did get a chance to ask my own questions.

I left the on-site interview feeling like I was not given a chance to show them how I could be an asset to the company. I few minutes after leaving the building and thinking back on my day, I had several "OH! That's what they wanted to hear.. dammit." moments which to me indicates a weakness in the interview process (or maybe just my interview skills).

The next day I got an email saying that they would not be making an offer.

Interview Question – Find the largest rectangle area on a bar graph. Example, if you had a graph of 1,4,5,3,3,5 the answer would be 15 (3x5) which is formed by the rectangle that is 3 high and spans from position 2 (1 based) to 6.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – Sent me an email, had to give four times I was available in the next two times for a phone screen. During the phone screen, asked me about my experience and asked me to write a short C program.

Interview Question – Be prepared to write short C program involving recursion.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2012.

Interview Details – 2 Phone interviews. Both involved writing code by hand.

Interview Question – I expected higher level questions for a senior position. I was not expecting all of the questions to be about foundational data structures and algorithms (which I was a bit rusty on).   View Answers (2)

Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2013.

Interview Details – I was referred by an employee

Interview Question – Given a set A of 20 distinct positive integers, find two subsets that have the same sum.
 For example, if A = {10, 20, 30, 40, ..., 200}, then {10, 20, 30, 40, 100}
 and {90, 110} are two subsets that have the same sum (which is 200).
If there exists such a pair of subset, print out the numbers, otherwise print out "none".
If there are multiple such sets, you only need find and print out one pair.
  Answer Question

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!