Amazon.com Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2015

3.4

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (San Francisco, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

The entire process toke 1.5 month, but it mainly because of the coordinator the recruiter had been working with left the company. The experience of the phone screen was not that great, I have never been able to have a good experience to have the interview with a guy who is not a developer but trying to ask technical question, because some of the time they ask nonsense questions and when you are trying to tell them that the question should be asked in a different way, they lost his temper. BTW, I think the worst thing the interviewer did was when I got the code exercise question, I was able to explain my idea before writing the code, he stopped me right away saying do not talk to him unless I have any question about the code exercise, I think this kind of behavior somehow makes me think he is not the right person I should work with or work for.

Interview Questions

• Coding exercise: Input in a file. >4GB 10, 20, 30 , 10, 55, 20, 66, 77, 55, 88, 55...... 4GB output format: 10 - 2 times 20 - 2 times 55 - 3 times   1 Answer
  • What is the O(n) of the implementation I gave in the code exercise?   1 Answer
  • What is the most challenge project you have worked on.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

very involved. interviewed against leadership principles. also the content was challenging but i was prepared and ready for most of them. I really feel invested in the company by this time because I understood what it ran on.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a bout a time when you were to successful and what did you do about it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Austin, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

I had a call with a recruiter and she told me about the position and the company. A few weeks later I had a technical phone screen. The interviewer was on a speaker phone so it was very hard to hear him. He asked three technical questions and we used an a collaborative coding site so he could type a problem and I could write code for him to review. The questions were the ridiculous problems that you never encounter as a software engineer because somebody else has written a library to do them. I asked the interviewer a few questions about the position and it was different than what the recruiter described. A few days later they emailed me and asked me to do another phone interview but I declined as I decided to stay in my current position.

Interview Questions

• Write code that will return the nth digit of the Fibonacci sequence.   1 Answer
    • Write code that will take a string of numbers (12,345) and return the spoken word version of the number (twelve thousand three hundred forty five).   Answer Question
    • Write code that will validate a binary search tree.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview process was geared toward making me feel comfortable. First the interviewers would talk a bit about themselves and what they do at Amazon, followed by very open-ended questions about myself. After the initial open-ended questions, the interviewer would get into more specific topics and/or coding questions. The coding questions required writing close to syntactically correct code on a whiteboard, but the interviewers were OK with a bit of handwaving. The interviewers were also helpful in identifying issues with my solution in a way that kept my comfort level and confidence high. Overall it was a very positive experience.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in March 2015.

Interview

Yes, you read that right.. 180 days. First phone interview, interviewer never bothered to submit feedback to the system. Recruiter would contact and go dark for a month, contact and dark.. Finally another phone interview. Was told I had to fly to Seattle for the on-site even though I live less than ten miles from the job location. I have to fly in the day before, so it takes me two days to do this interview. Also, I could not get a job description although I was told multiple teams were interested. After the flight had been booked I finally get a job description and the required skill-set is nowhere near what my resume lists.. I go anyway because I had never been to Seattle, though I started to have my doubts about all of it. Do the interview and everything goes ok. For dealing with technology so far out of my comfort zone I'd say I did pretty well overall. Lots of algorithm and cloud based questions. Aced a couple, did ok on some and got stuck on one. Get a call the next day that the team decided to pass because of my lack of knowledge of their technology. Told the recruiter that I thought it was odd that I was brought in for this job in the first place and expected the team to understand that I had to learn on the job.. Get quite rudely told that "we hire on experience, not potential." and she tells me she'll call back in a year or so. If you only hire on experience, why contact someone who has none of the skills listed that you are looking for? This turned into a giant waste of time for everyone involved because of some recruiter not doing their job.

Interview Questions

• Lots of algorithm questions straight out of careercup. Overall the interview was quite thorough and all bases were covered. I could not figure out who the 'bar raiser' was because none of the interviews stood out as particularly difficult. What was interesting was that when I asked questions about cooperation and interaction with different groups, all interviewers replied in a way that i could see there was a lot of friction between departments. Having read the amazon reviews and the dreaded 'stack ranking' system they still employ, it was no real surprise to me.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in October 2014.

Interview

The biggest difficulty with this interview was the jet lag. I had planned to dose myself with caffeen to keep myself alert, but the canteen was consistently out of everything except decaf. One interviewing consider his job to see how upset he could make me, and see how I would interact. He started off by asking me about things not on my resume, not part of the job, and acted as if I didn't have those experiences I was a bad candidate. Then he lead me to a question about a time I had to fix a serious customer issue. The more negitive I described the problem it the more positive he reacted, as if he was pleased. I fell for this hook line and sinker and actually called a product I had worked on @RAP twice. Granted I was refering to the way the customer reported the problem, but I'm sure that cost me the interview right there. I can't blaim them as you don't want someone who will call a product they worked on @RAP even if is under extreme stress and jet lag. But it leaves this as a bad interview experience. With most of the interview questions, I felt I did reasonably well. There was two white boarding questions. One of which was trivial, the other was challenging. The recruiter would provide no feedback.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

I had a telephonic interview with Amazon and was asked a couple of questions. 1. Given an array of numbers (+ve , -ve) and a number k, return true if any two numbers sum up to k. This question tests datastructure (Hashmap) and BST knowledge. 2. Design an online airline reservation system.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

A few days after applying online I was emailed to do a phone interview.

Interview Questions

• Asked to write a method were it's passed an array of numbers and a single number. I needed to return true if there was two numbers in the array that if added totaled the single number. I was then asked to rewrite it to make it run faster.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I applied online and got an invite for interview. All technical with in depth and through drill on data structures, algorithms etc

Interview Questions

• They asked about AWS and gave a use case about Big data.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in February 2014.

Interview

Three phone interviews: 1 with recruiter and then 2 technical, full day on-site interview of technical questions. Only allowed to interview one team at a time which is a bit unusual for a large company. Promises of being able to interview on other teams afterward was false. Other teams had directly (direct contact) expressed strong interest if first team wasn't a fit, but emails now go unanswered.

Interview Questions

• No questions particularly difficult: graph path finding, binary search tree, design a chess game   Answer Question