Amazon.com

Updated Nov 2, 2014

3.4

77 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in October 2014.

The biggest difficulty with this interview was the jet lag. I had planned to dose myself with caffeen to keep myself alert, but the canteen was consistently out of everything except decaf.

One interviewing consider his job to see how upset he could make me, and see how I would interact. He started off by asking me about things not on my resume, not part of the job, and acted as if I didn't have those experiences I was a bad candidate. Then he lead me to a question about a time I had to fix a serious customer issue. The more negitive I described the problem it the more positive he reacted, as if he was pleased. I fell for this hook line and sinker and actually called a product I had worked on @RAP twice. Granted I was refering to the way the customer reported the problem, but I'm sure that cost me the interview right there. I can't blaim them as you don't want someone who will call a product they worked on @RAP even if is under extreme stress and jet lag. But it leaves this as a bad interview experience.

With most of the interview questions, I felt I did reasonably well. There was two white boarding questions. One of which was trivial, the other was challenging.

The recruiter would provide no feedback.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Amazon.com.

I had a telephonic interview with Amazon and was asked a couple of questions.
    1. Given an array of numbers (+ve , -ve) and a number k, return true if any two numbers sum up to k.
        This question tests datastructure (Hashmap) and BST knowledge.
    2. Design an online airline reservation system.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

A few days after applying online I was emailed to do a phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • Asked to write a method were it's passed an array of numbers and a single number. I needed to return true if there was two numbers in the array that if added totaled the single number. I was then asked to rewrite it to make it run faster.   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I applied online and got an invite for interview. All technical with in depth and through drill on
    data structures, algorithms etc

Interview Questions
    • They asked about AWS and gave a use case about Big data.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Three phone interviews: 1 with recruiter and then 2 technical, full day on-site interview of technical questions. Only allowed to interview one team at a time which is a bit unusual for a large company. Promises of being able to interview on other teams afterward was false. Other teams had directly (direct contact) expressed strong interest if first team wasn't a fit, but emails now go unanswered.

Interview Questions
    • No questions particularly difficult: graph path finding, binary search tree, design a chess game   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I had a tech phone screen that lasted about one hour. The phone call consisted of the interviewer (Brad) talking allot about himself and what he does for Amazon AIV. He then asked about my current job, but didn't seem very interested nor asked any follow-up questions. Finally, I was asked to write code for the puzzle Sudoku in which I would verify the correctness of the puzzle. I wrote a clever hash algorithm that would require only one pass of the each plane (horizontal, vertical, matrix). I designed it to be scalable much beyond a typical 9x9 matrix.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in November 2013.

The first part of the interview was quick. I applied online (via their careers page I think) and received a phone call within a week to schedule a phone interview.

The phone interview was pretty much what I expected, wasn't very difficult. They ask questions about your resume and experience and follow up with technical questions. Mostly CS theory questions like data structures and big-O notation. They also ask you to do some small coding exercises using collabedit.com. They gave me a problem to solve (can't recall what it was now) and after I answered they asked me to implement the algorithm using my language of choice.

A few weeks later I was flown to Seattle for an in-person interview. The position I was interested in is in California, but the in-person interview was still in Seattle... this was weird for me.

Anyway, the in-person interview was exhausting to say the least. It went from 10:30 to 3:30 if I recall. We didn't even really break for lunch. I *had* lunch -- we walked to a nearby restaurant -- but it was with an interviewer who quizzed me the whole time. It was an endless string of interviewers coming in and out. Each one with a slightly different flavour. This part is mostly what I expected, but the exhausting thing was that none of them were allocated enough time for their questions. I was essentially rushed for 5 hours straight. Before leaving, every single interviewer said "I usually take the time now to let you ask some questions, but as you can see the next interviewer is already waiting outside" and then he'd shake my hand and leave. I never did get a chance to ask my own questions.

I left the on-site interview feeling like I was not given a chance to show them how I could be an asset to the company. I few minutes after leaving the building and thinking back on my day, I had several "OH! That's what they wanted to hear.. dammit." moments which to me indicates a weakness in the interview process (or maybe just my interview skills).

The next day I got an email saying that they would not be making an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Find the largest rectangle area on a bar graph. Example, if you had a graph of 1,4,5,3,3,5 the answer would be 15 (3x5) which is formed by the rectangle that is 3 high and spans from position 2 (1 based) to 6.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Sent me an email, had to give four times I was available in the next two times for a phone screen. During the phone screen, asked me about my experience and asked me to write a short C program.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to write short C program involving recursion.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2013.

I was referred by an employee

Interview Questions
    • Given a set A of 20 distinct positive integers, find two subsets that have the same sum.
       For example, if A = {10, 20, 30, 40, ..., 200}, then {10, 20, 30, 40, 100}
       and {90, 110} are two subsets that have the same sum (which is 200).
      If there exists such a pair of subset, print out the numbers, otherwise print out "none".
      If there are multiple such sets, you only need find and print out one pair.
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

interviewed at Amazon.com in May 2013.

Amazon HR called me describing the opportunity and asking whether I am interested. They were in New York for interview and after brief updates on my resume, I was selected for the final round interview.