Amazon.com

Updated Feb 18, 2015
Updated Feb 18, 2015

3.4

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2012.

I had 2 Phone interviews followed by an Onsite interview. The phone interviews were straightforward, involving standard questions such as how to reverse a string. Also some questions on arrays, how to find if there are duplicates. Then there were questions related classes and polymorphism. Afterwards I had to email solution to a dictionary problem within the next day, which made use of STL data structures such as hash maps.

The onsite interview was a pleasant experience. The hiring manager wanted to know my ambition and what I see myself doing in the team. The staff was a mix of strict interviewers who were opinionated and those who were open to my view point. I did not get good read of whether they were happy with my answers. I thought the interview went positive, however it came back negative.

Interview Questions
  • Write code to iterate through a binary tree, delete a node from binary tree
    Write C++ code to support Rubik's cube solving
    What is model-view-controller paradigm?
    How will you deal with very large data set, especially those that does not fit into memory. What search techniques will you use?

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in October 2014.

The biggest difficulty with this interview was the jet lag. I had planned to dose myself with caffeen to keep myself alert, but the canteen was consistently out of everything except decaf.

One interviewing consider his job to see how upset he could make me, and see how I would interact. He started off by asking me about things not on my resume, not part of the job, and acted as if I didn't have those experiences I was a bad candidate. Then he lead me to a question about a time I had to fix a serious customer issue. The more negitive I described the problem it the more positive he reacted, as if he was pleased. I fell for this hook line and sinker and actually called a product I had worked on @RAP twice. Granted I was refering to the way the customer reported the problem, but I'm sure that cost me the interview right there. I can't blaim them as you don't want someone who will call a product they worked on @RAP even if is under extreme stress and jet lag. But it leaves this as a bad interview experience.

With most of the interview questions, I felt I did reasonably well. There was two white boarding questions. One of which was trivial, the other was challenging.

The recruiter would provide no feedback.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

interviewed at Amazon.com in May 2013.

Amazon HR called me describing the opportunity and asking whether I am interested. They were in New York for interview and after brief updates on my resume, I was selected for the final round interview.

Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

Got a call from HR dept , arrived office on a week ends and had the first round. they are looking for pure algorithms experts. i am very good in java language but their expectation is on algorithms which i cant do much better.. any its worth to try

Interview Questions
    • write a program which will to get all the values from a binery tree. i may be simple but i nevered brushed up   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Amazon.com.

I had a telephonic interview with Amazon and was asked a couple of questions.
    1. Given an array of numbers (+ve , -ve) and a number k, return true if any two numbers sum up to k.
        This question tests datastructure (Hashmap) and BST knowledge.
    2. Design an online airline reservation system.

Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

Was called by the recruiter and an online test scheduled. It was a difficult tree traversal and manipulation test. One test case set with values and the expected output was provided as a sample. I was not prepared enough with the APIs and so lost out. Overall it was a positive experience with the recruiter

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Three phone interviews: 1 with recruiter and then 2 technical, full day on-site interview of technical questions. Only allowed to interview one team at a time which is a bit unusual for a large company. Promises of being able to interview on other teams afterward was false. Other teams had directly (direct contact) expressed strong interest if first team wasn't a fit, but emails now go unanswered.

Interview Questions
    • No questions particularly difficult: graph path finding, binary search tree, design a chess game   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

A few days after applying online I was emailed to do a phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • Asked to write a method were it's passed an array of numbers and a single number. I needed to return true if there was two numbers in the array that if added totaled the single number. I was then asked to rewrite it to make it run faster.   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I applied online and got an invite for interview. All technical with in depth and through drill on
    data structures, algorithms etc

Interview Questions
    • They asked about AWS and gave a use case about Big data.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I had a tech phone screen that lasted about one hour. The phone call consisted of the interviewer (Brad) talking allot about himself and what he does for Amazon AIV. He then asked about my current job, but didn't seem very interested nor asked any follow-up questions. Finally, I was asked to write code for the puzzle Sudoku in which I would verify the correctness of the puzzle. I wrote a clever hash algorithm that would require only one pass of the each plane (horizontal, vertical, matrix). I designed it to be scalable much beyond a typical 9x9 matrix.