Amazon.com Senior Vendor Manager Interview Questions

Updated Aug 24, 2015

3.3

Senior Vendor Manager Interview

Interview

Interviewed with several rounds of employees I got asked a case question in every interview Be sure to know the Amazon leadership principles and know of a situation where you applied them

Interview Questions

• Case question about launching a new business or product   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

Got an employee referral to the job. Conducted an initial phone screen with a recruiter, then another phone screen with a supervisor in the specific department I was applying to. Following that, I was invited into Amazon for a full day of interviews. Conducted 8 (8!!!) face to face interviews with various members of the department. Everyone was very cordial and open to discussion. I greatly appreciated the transparency and honesty when I asked tough questions about the job and the company. With 8 different people interviewing you, don't expect to nail every single meeting. Some went really well, others just okay. Most interviewers take notes on their laptops, so make sure you can stay on message while someone isn't looking at you and is busy typing. Despite the note taking, most interviews were fairly conversational and behavioral based.

Interview Questions

• Your standard behavioral question - tell me about a time you failed, when you had to correct a coworker and how you did it, when you had to tell someone a harsh truth, a time you completed a project, etc. All questions are used to test you competency in Amazon's 14 Leadership Principles, so I made sure I had solid examples for each leadership principle and were able to tie my experiences to those principles. Most interviews aren't going to hit it right on the nose - "tell me about a time you demonstrated a bias for action", etc. Instead, they want to hear about your experiences and it's up to you to make sure you explain how the results fit within Amazon's culture.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

First round was a screening interview with HR, followed by 2 rounds over the phone. If you pass these rounds, you'd be invited to an all day interviews in Seattle. Second interview consisted of 45 mins where I was asked behavioral questions and 2 case interview questions. Third interview was another 45 mins of behavioral questions and case interview questions. Use STAR method to respond and remember as you respond that Amazon's approach is heavily centered around its customers.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Tell me a time when you had to make a decision without your Manager's input/approval... lots of follow up questions (how, why, what, etc). Tell me a time when you had to solve a difficult problem? How would you determine the inventory for a seasonal product? What criteria would you consider to pick a vendor? Why Amazon? What is Amazon good at? How would you improve Amazon's website? Questions around handling products that cost a lot in shipping but don't bring in a lot of margin...   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in March 2015.

Interview

A few phone interviews then follow with an all day onsite interview with 7-10 people. A 2 page paper is required prior to the interview to test your writing skill....

Interview Questions

• STAR questions, be prepare to repeat yourself as they asked similar questions.   1 Answer

I'm negotiating

Senior Vendor Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

I heard that the review process was regimented and it's exactly as advertised. After applying, a recruiter sets up a phone interview with you that (at least for me) lasted 45 minutes. The recruiter clarified more detail about the role and briefly mentioned the importance of the leadership principles. The recruiter then mentioned that I'd likely be hearing from a coordinator to set up a further phone interview with the hiring manager. 6 days later, I heard back from a coordinator with no contact in the meantime. It was tempting to reach out, but I think they maintain very little communication with you throughout the process by design. Phone call with hiring manager is very STAR-oriented with a lot of chances for you to give examples of how your experience ties in with leadership principles. A lot of questions on how I use analytics/metrics to inform decisions in my current role. There were a few curveballs, of course, such as when the manager asked about one thing I'd suggest to make the site better. When I gave a response, the follow-up was: "And how is your suggestion better for the customer?" There was a lot of back and forth on this topic throughout the interview. Not much chance for small talk or personal details, but the interview did run for more than an hour and twenty, which I figure is a good sign. The manager mentioned that I was going to be recommended for a further phone interview with another executive and that a coordinator would be reaching out soon to arrange the details. That was now a week and a half ago with no contact in the meantime. From what I understand on this site, this isn't out of the ordinary. Fingers crossed.

Interview Questions

• Tell me specifically one thing you would do to improve the site.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in October 2014.

Interview

submitted my resume online to company website for a business development position and instead was contacted by HR for a senior vendor manager role for home audio. received a document on Amazon leadership principles and how to prepare for the interview. had a first phone interview with the head of vendor managers for electronics. not much small talk but the interviewer was friendly. he probed fairly deeply on each answer I would give asking follow ups on most answers I gave. overall it was fairly intense but it was a good experience. waiting to hear back on next steps

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time you had to fight for different options for a particular outcome in a past job.   Answer Question
    • Case question: You are in charge of launching a new TV product. Walk through the steps to estimating how you would calculate inventory needed for the next month per vendor if you can reorder on a monthly basis one month out.   Answer Question
    • Why Amazon   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in October 2014.

Interview

Communication is very precise and prompt during the interview process. Questions follow the s.t.a.r. format...think of a time when this happened...what did you do and what was the outcome. Be prepared for that again and again. Interviews are about 45 minutes and your interviewers will come to you and it was a low pressure comfortable information exchange so relax...you get to talk about your experiences. Recruiting team was awesome and helped you be successful in your interviews by giving you advance notice of what to be prepared for. Dress is casual...no ties, no suits. Business casual.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you hired someone and it didn't turn out as expected and how did you handle that?   Answer Question

Senior Vendor Manager Interview

Interview

I received an email from the HR describing the recruiting process. The 1st phone interview is supposed to be based on Amazon values only. However, my interviewer decided otherwise and asked me only job-related questions. This was a pure waste of time. In addition, he did not speak really english really well.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in August 2014.

Interview

3 phone interviews (1 hr, 2 team members) then 1 full day of on-site interviews. a lot of behavioral questions, make sure your answers incorporate the 14 leadership principles and don't try to guess what principle they're testing. was asked a lot of case questions (most at on-site interview). some were directly related to the job (inventory management, marketing, etc...no surprises), most were completely random (can't really prepare for). overall, everyone was great and it was a pleasant experience. best advice: do your homework, talk to lots of people, answer case questions with metrics, and stay calm.

Interview Questions

• how would you improve the morning traffic outside the building?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in June 2014.

Interview

an Amazon recruiter reached out to me and said they have a position that "fits you like a glove". i had two phone interviews that were pretty simple, and was invited for an on campus interview day. the on campus interviews were way too long, and all questions repeated themselves. some of the interviewers weren't prepared and had to look up again and again at my resume and in their list of questions. the hiring manager was the worst - he didn't show any respect or cared about my answers. it seemed like he interviewed me just because he had too. i got a really bad feeling about the work life balance and work culture at Amazon, and would have declined an offer if i got one. from what the recruiter told me the pay wasn't going to be high at all....

Interview Questions

• are you right a lot?   1 Answer
    • give me an example for each one of the company's leadership principals   1 Answer