Amazon.com Senior Vendor Manager Interview Questions

Updated Oct 15, 2014

3.4

32 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Vendor Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I heard that the review process was regimented and it's exactly as advertised. After applying, a recruiter sets up a phone interview with you that (at least for me) lasted 45 minutes. The recruiter clarified more detail about the role and briefly mentioned the importance of the leadership principles. The recruiter then mentioned that I'd likely be hearing from a coordinator to set up a further phone interview with the hiring manager. 6 days later, I heard back from a coordinator with no contact in the meantime. It was tempting to reach out, but I think they maintain very little communication with you throughout the process by design. Phone call with hiring manager is very STAR-oriented with a lot of chances for you to give examples of how your experience ties in with leadership principles. A lot of questions on how I use analytics/metrics to inform decisions in my current role.

There were a few curveballs, of course, such as when the manager asked about one thing I'd suggest to make the site better. When I gave a response, the follow-up was: "And how is your suggestion better for the customer?" There was a lot of back and forth on this topic throughout the interview. Not much chance for small talk or personal details, but the interview did run for more than an hour and twenty, which I figure is a good sign. The manager mentioned that I was going to be recommended for a further phone interview with another executive and that a coordinator would be reaching out soon to arrange the details. That was now a week and a half ago with no contact in the meantime. From what I understand on this site, this isn't out of the ordinary. Fingers crossed.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me specifically one thing you would do to improve the site.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2014.

submitted my resume online to company website for a business development position and instead was contacted by HR for a senior vendor manager role for home audio. received a document on Amazon leadership principles and how to prepare for the interview. had a first phone interview with the head of vendor managers for electronics. not much small talk but the interviewer was friendly. he probed fairly deeply on each answer I would give asking follow ups on most answers I gave. overall it was fairly intense but it was a good experience. waiting to hear back on next steps

Interview Questions
    • Talk about a time you had to fight for different options for a particular outcome in a past job.   Answer Question
    • Case question: You are in charge of launching a new TV product. Walk through the steps to estimating how you would calculate inventory needed for the next month per vendor if you can reorder on a monthly basis one month out.   Answer Question
    • Why Amazon   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in October 2014.

Communication is very precise and prompt during the interview process. Questions follow the s.t.a.r. format...think of a time when this happened...what did you do and what was the outcome. Be prepared for that again and again. Interviews are about 45 minutes and your interviewers will come to you and it was a low pressure comfortable information exchange so relax...you get to talk about your experiences. Recruiting team was awesome and helped you be successful in your interviews by giving you advance notice of what to be prepared for. Dress is casual...no ties, no suits. Business casual.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you hired someone and it didn't turn out as expected and how did you handle that?   Answer Question

Senior Vendor Manager Interview

I received an email from the HR describing the recruiting process. The 1st phone interview is supposed to be based on Amazon values only. However, my interviewer decided otherwise and asked me only job-related questions. This was a pure waste of time. In addition, he did not speak really english really well.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in August 2014.

3 phone interviews (1 hr, 2 team members) then 1 full day of on-site interviews. a lot of behavioral questions, make sure your answers incorporate the 14 leadership principles and don't try to guess what principle they're testing. was asked a lot of case questions (most at on-site interview). some were directly related to the job (inventory management, marketing, etc...no surprises), most were completely random (can't really prepare for). overall, everyone was great and it was a pleasant experience. best advice: do your homework, talk to lots of people, answer case questions with metrics, and stay calm.

Interview Questions
    • how would you improve the morning traffic outside the building?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in June 2014.

an Amazon recruiter reached out to me and said they have a position that "fits you like a glove". i had two phone interviews that were pretty simple, and was invited for an on campus interview day.
    the on campus interviews were way too long, and all questions repeated themselves. some of the interviewers weren't prepared and had to look up again and again at my resume and in their list of questions. the hiring manager was the worst - he didn't show any respect or cared about my answers. it seemed like he interviewed me just because he had too.
    i got a really bad feeling about the work life balance and work culture at Amazon, and would have declined an offer if i got one.
    from what the recruiter told me the pay wasn't going to be high at all....

Interview Questions
    • are you right a lot?   View Answer
    • give me an example for each one of the company's leadership principals   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

Applied Online. 3 weeks later was contacted by Amazon H/R. After one 30 minute phone screen by H/R (successful) another 2 week delay ensued to set a 30 minute phone interview with the hiring manager. Hiring manager was first described as a 'he' but then the interviewer was actually a she. She called exactly at the bottom of the hour and there was ZERO introductory questions or personality questions. Nothing friendly. No opportunity whatsoever for personal banter. She launched into question 1, gave very little reaction then to Q2, Q3, Q4, Q5, Q6, Q7 most of which had nothing to do with my experience but had much to do with Amazon's existing processes. How you are supposed to know those as an outsider I have no idea. Anyways,she gave no verbal reaction as to the applicability of my answers, went deep dive on several of my answers into Amazon's apparently legendary data gathering and data parsing algorithms. She sounded more impressed with Amazon's processes than frankly I was. She left time for me to ask exactly 1 question of her (which I had prepared ahead of time) and she stopped the interview at precisely the top of the hour. Not a second over. Like a drill sergeant. Had no idea how I did and Amazon then played like a girlfriend that broke up with you and lost your number, email address etc. I have 20 years in tech. and they would not be mature enough to say - sorry you didn't advance to the next stage or we went with other candidates. Nothing. This was VERY discourteous and no the way to handle rejected candidates. Wastes the candidates time when you call/email back 3 or 4 times spaced 3 days apart. The process left a bad impression of me personally on Amazon. #notimpressed

Interview Questions
    • Some internal jargon about how would you rank vendors based on the reams of data collected on customer orders. Gave her a good answer on this one but she wanted more and more and more. Then no reaction - onto next Q.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in October 2013.

Unless you want every interaction with vendors during your work day to be bloodsport, I don't suggest applying for this role with the Kindle division. Despite whatever Amazon says, it's clear they view publishers not as partners, but as suppliers to squeeze at every step to lower margins.
    The actual process was fairly efficient. I had two phone interviews, the last with the hiring manager. I later learned she was a protege of someone described in the book "The Everything Store," an executive who thought that one side always had to win in a negotiation rather than creating value together. We both decided that there wasn't a good fit. But if that culture sounds like fun to you, enjoy!

Interview Questions
    • The questions were expected for this role, although the hiring manager seemed to expect I would know exactly what metrics Amazon used, despite Amazon being extremely secretive about anything Kindle related.   Answer Question

Senior Vendor Manager Interview

interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2013.

After application, got first a phone screen then a couple of weeks later, I got invited to first round of interviews on site (with hiring manager and then business case). After passing first round, I got invited again to second round onsite (5 interviews with HR, people with similar positions, managers, ...)
    Each interview lasted around 45 min and questions were mainly behavioral

Interview Questions
    • Business Case: very little time to crunch a lot of data in order to determine a pricing strategy for products.   Answer Question

Senior Vendor Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in July 2013.

2 phone screen, 1 on site with 7 people + HR

Interview Questions
    • nothing difficult or outside of the job description. mainly going over your resume followed by behavioral questions related to that.   Answer Question
    it was pretty firm