Amazon.com Interview Questions in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

Updated Aug 31, 2014
Updated Aug 31, 2014

3.4

35 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

E-Commerce Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2014.

Interview process at Amazon typically involves a number of telephone interviews, one or two online assessments, followed by an on-site loop focusing on competency-based questions where the interviewer is looking for detailed examples of projects you've worked on previously, with a view to identifying whether or not you behave in a way that is consistent with the Amazon leadership principles.

Interview Questions
    • People say the simplest solution is often the best. Can you give me an example of a time where you solved a complex problem with a simple solution?   Answer Question
    Internal offer; no negotiation possible

Project Specialist Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in November 2010.

2 interviews, I was already working at Amazon at the time. Make sure you research the company, its values, and being well prepared is absolute key - you can't afford to be taken by surprise by some question or other.

Interview Questions
    • What would you change in the processes Amazon apply?   View Answer
    What negotiation? Frugality is real, it's a case of take it or leave it.

Account Manager (Amazon Associate) Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

2 phone interviews

I had the first interview with the hiring manager: it was very structured and I was prepared for most of the questions. I really appreciated that the interviewer gave me time at the end for questions (and I had loads), which means that we spent more time than expected. The second interview was with the EU business development manager and the questions were naturally focused on business development. Though it is tough to judge from a person over the phone, I found the interviewer tired (the interview was after 6pm UK time so 7pm EU time) and this reflected in his voice, but what was even more surprising was that he clearly yawned while I was answering to one of his questions. Ok I have not been convincing enough as I did not pass this stage, but I find it truly unrespectful to yawn over the phone while someone is talking to you - he could have at least put the phone away or something.

On the positive note, I think it was a great experience to have a concrete preview of the company's culture, people, interview style etc...

Interview Questions
    • What is the most important thing to recruit a new publisher/client?   View Answer

Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com.

A competency based interview lasting 5 hours. 5 x 45 minute interviews including a "bar raiser" Told to prepare a number of examples to map against AWS philosophies of previous deep dive work experiences you think might be relevant. Amazon recruitment guidance says keep responses short and timely which in the end seemed to be the last thing they wanted. Deep dive responses required.....details details details was what was required. To be frank this is a very tedious interview process giving the candidate very little back in return in terms of what the job would actually be like if you got it. How you make a calculated decision to work for them is beyond me based on what you might read from their website...very little back in terms of company culture. Interviews need to be a two way street not one way....Whilst this is competency based interview it really does feel like luck if you managed to give relevant examples that might just meet the AWS philosophy of doing things.

Sales Account Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2012.

The interview process started with a fairly easy phone interview. After that, I was called for an interview on site where I had 5 rounds of interviews with 5 different people. They were mainly asking about past work experiences and doing simulation of situations you'd have to face at work.

Interview Questions
    • No particular difficult nor unexpected questions   View Answer

Risk Analyst Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2010.

I had 8 interviews, starting with the phne screens with the recruiter. Then a whole day in the office, asked multiple similar questions. Competency based.

Interview Questions
    Tough negotiation phase so I gave up.

Online Content and Marketing Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com.

I applied online through their career website.
    I received an email from one of their recruiters saying I needed to complete an online copyedit test, designed to measure my attention to detail, spelling, grammar and copyedit skills. The test lasted 30 minutes: some questions were very easy for a foreigner (they were meant to spot the most common mistakes for the mothertongue) whereas for some others I just didn't have a clue and went with what sounded most right ("here are 5 sentences, choose the wrong one" or "choose the right one" or "choose the only two that aren't wrong").
    I didn't hear from them for 10 days and I had forgotten about the test when I received another email from the same recruiter to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was with a site merchandiser and after the classic questions "why do you want to work here" "why are you leaving your job" we got on to two behavioural (situation-based) questions. There's no right or wrong answer here, they just want to know how you think, feel, behave, react in face of praise/mistakes/adversity/challenge and so on. But you can't invent an answer right then and there because they will ask you very detailed questions about the example you are providing - I even had to remember some figures about the situation I was telling them about. The interview lasted 45 minutes.
    The day after my first interview I got another email from another recruiter, saying they wanted to move forward to a second interview - which happened with a senior vendor manager of the company. The questions here were the same type as the first interview and this one also lasted 45 minutes.
    It was the end of july and I didn't hear from them until the last week of August, when an email invited me to fly out to their headquarters in Slough to have a series of 4 final interviews. We arranged the interview day for three weeks later - as they were not gonna pay for my flight I needed to get the cheapest fare possible, but they were flexible enough with times and dates.
    My interview schedule for the morning was precisely outline before I flew out - I had to have three interviews and a "promotions exercise" in a row, with roughly 30 mins for lunch in their cafeteria (which they provided vouchers for).
    The interviews were exactly the same as on the phone - behavioural questions all over the place. The first interviewer told me they were going to ask me maybe a lot of questions but they were all looking at my answers from a different angle so I needed not worry if I answered with the same example two or even three times.
    But 3 interviews in a row is a massacre and by the end of the last interview I was very tired of answering questions in such precise detail.
    The promotions exercise: they provided me a spreadsheet with 200 of their products with indication of price, cost, stock, sales, pageviews and I had to choose 2 promotions for 10 products with 2 lead products and I had to explain what my assumptions were, how I would market the promotions, where on the website, which targets and so on. All this in 45 minutes and I bet they even expected a small presentation, but I didn't get to it. The manager then asked me questions about it till the hour was up.
    After 48 hours they called me and said I didn't pass the final round of interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you put customers need before your company's
      Tell me about a situation when you discovered a problem and what you did to solve it
      Tell me an example of when you received a negative feedback and did not agree with it
        Answer Question

Amazon Merchant Services Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2013.

CV and Cover letter application was responded to by an email about a telephone interview. The telephone interview featured a generic interview structure about why Amazon, your position in life and then a role play where you had to sell the "Selling on Amazon" to a potential client. Quite straightforward and the man on the telephone was nice and not too antagonistic in the role play.

Interview Questions
    • Responded to different objections from the client in the role play   Answer Question

Senior Vendor Manager - MP3 Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in May 2013.

I was randomly contacted about a role I had not applied for and invited to take an online test and partake in a phone interview. The phone interview was competency based with "give me an example of when" as the theme. I then did not hear back for a number of weeks so chased my HR contact. I was then told that she had "just been discussing me" and that yes, I would be invited for in person interviews. I was sent the schedule and details the night before after much chasing which was extremely inconvenient.

I showed up for the interviews at their terrible Slough office. I had 5 back to back interviews where I was asked the same type of questions again and again; "give me an example of when." I can understand there needing to be a bit of this, but I left feeling that even after 4 hours, they did not really know anything about me or my ability to actually do the job. Incidentally, the first person I met with informed me that actually he was not sure if this role was in fact available which put a real dampener on things.

I then had to chase the HR team after 3 weeks of not hearing anything. Apparently she was on "leave for a really long time." She asked me to call her for "feedback." I knew at this stage it meant I would not be getting the job and it this point I did not want to work for Amazon, so just left it at that.

All in all a terrible experience. They treat candidates like numbers and you get the feeling you are just one of a million people they are passing through their big system. They need to learn to treat candidates with more respect and realise that they are deterring people from joining Amazon with their awful recruitment approach and poor HR recruiters.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of a time when you had to do something without your boss knowing   Answer Question

Vendor Manager Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2013.

I had 2 rounds of telephone interviews. Both interviewers seemed to think I was applying foe a role reporting to them, but I was actually applying for a completely different role. It was in June. I am assuming that i didnt go through as i received no email or phone call to confirm. I didnt bother follwing up either and was quite relieved as I was hoping to get into a new area with this job. Probably not much hope anyway with them being so disorganised!

Interview Questions

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!