Amazon.com Software Design Engineer In Test Interview Questions & Reviews

3.5

4 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

2 phone screens were straightforward - general resume-related questions followed by medium difficulty coding+testing questions and design questions. Interview scheduling was prompt. On-site interview was a long and weary one, but interesting nonetheless. Interviewers were very courteous.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through other source. The process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in August 2011.

I posted a resume online, and received an email from Amazon HR a few days later. HR was excellent--professional, courteous, and responsive. They set up an initial phone interview with a test manager. This was about an hour long, and used collabedit.com to share a whiteboard online.

I thought it went okay, then was contacted a week later to set up a second phone interview, this time with the hiring manager. Quite similar, but no collabedit.com this time, we discussed some code and he gave me a few minutes to write it, then I read it to him over the phone. Some more questions about testing scenarios, and that was it.

A few days later HR scheduled an on-site day of interviewing. This was in Seattle (they cover expenses required to attend the interview). I met with 5 technical interviewers, plus a follow-up with a rep from HR. Since my interview crossed the noon hour, Amazon paid for that interviewer to take me to lunch.

First interviewer described the team (Kindle) and what it was resposible for. I had prepared in anticipation of doing device-level testing, i.e., hardware validation, OS components, etc. Actually that is all accomplished in California, and the Seattle Kindle team is more traditional Amazon, in that they busy themselves with delivering online content (web ordering, e-book delivery, various web services issues). There was also a lot of discussion about how I might allocate my time between competing projects/interests, which I believe was a prompt to display that I thought that

Second interviewer concentrated on testing issues, such as what is TDD, unit tests vs. integration tests, more high-level issues.

Third interviewer was a developer from the Kindle team. We discussed how to approach testing the Kindle content delivery system, based on a block diagram of how it worked ("how would you test this module? How about this one?...).

Fourth interviewer talked about general high-level design issues with web servers and services, how different designs contribute to latency and throughput. Note to self, look up 'orthogonal', as in "Are latency and throughput orthogonal?" (The correct answer is "Yes!").

Fifth interviewer was the first to present a coding problem, namely how to design a system that returns a list of names based on a user entering 'letters' by pressing numbers on a phone (i.e., the first 3 letters of the name Smith would be represented by typing "7-6-4"). I didn't perform well on the coding problem. We were rushed, and the interviewer kept trying to be helpful and get things moving with hints and questions, but they just got me frazzled and self-doubting.

HR finished the day and walked me out.

Everyone was really, really nice. I was completely impressed by Amazon and will reapply in the future. After several years of working at Microsoft it is apparent that they have less internal friction at Amazon. I thought the interview process was quite fair, in fact most of it (before I tubed the coding question) was surprisingly easy and low-key.

Advice: no matter what engineering position you seek, think:
    1. data-driven decision making
    2. complexity ("Big-O notation")
    3. network issues (latency, throughput, scalability)
    4. customer-focus

Interview Questions
    • given a sorted list of integers, how would you find whether 2 integers exist that add up to a given sum?   View Answers (2)
    • code up a system that will accept a series of telephone keypresses and return a list of possible names from a supporting data structure. Describe both the data structure and the insert and search methods.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2009.

I applied online for a position I was very interested in. Had two phone screens and a full day of interviews (5 people). I had already accepted an offer with another company when they extended an offer. I spoke with the hiring manager in a follow-up meeting and was very excited by the project I'd be assigned to. This tipped the scales and I accepted the offer.

Interview Questions
    Having a second offer in place helps dramatically.

Software Design Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Hyderābād (India)
    Anonymous Employee in Hyderābād (India)

interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2013.

Called for a direct interview at the Hyderabad office.
    2 Rounds:
    Round 1: Pure programming skills - Write programs for random arrays and binary trees.
    Round 2: Testing and Logic - Brain teasers, Questions on Testing and Test Automation tools

Interview Questions

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!