Amazon.com Software Developer Engineer II Interview Questions

Updated Aug 29, 2014

3.5

58 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Development Engineer II Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Two phone screens. Cleared first one. Didn't move forward after second phone screen. First phone screen was just pure coding excersice. Second phone scree started with talking about resume, current projects, why change blah..blah. Then there were three coding exercises which were quite simple. After that I was thrown a random design question, on which I spent quite a bit of time and as it was open ended, there was no clear answer. Didn't move forward for onsite after second phone screen.

Interview Questions
  • // You are on a team that is creating a program to model stress on furniture.
    // Your task is to model the behavior of furniture under abuse such as
    // excessive weight or application of fire. There exists a prototype that
    // defines the following:

class Furniture {

/**
         * Furniture becomes unusable if enough weight is applied; the
         * algorithm depends on shape of furniture, the strength of material, and
         * the location where the weight is applied
        void applyWeight(double x, double y, double weight, double seconds);

/**
         * Furniture becomes unusable if it is made of wood, and fire is applied
         * long enough; wood will change from brown to black if it is burnt
         * (whether or not the furniture becomes unusable)
        void applyFire(double x, double y, double fireStrength, double seconds);

* possible values: Gray, Brown, Black, etc

class SteelChair extends Furniture {...}
    class WoodTable extends Furniture {...}
    class SteelTable extends Furniture {...}
    class RubbrCouch

// We will need to start adding other furniture like couches, beds, bookcases, and desks, and also new materials such as plastic, cloth, rubber, etc. Try to improve the class design - you are free to modify it however you wish since it is only a prototype.
      View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2012.

A recruiter called and later setup day time for phone interview couple of days later.
    The phone interview was Ok, little bit of introduction and what I have done in the past, the technical question. He provided a link to web that I can write a program on the fly so he could se what I type.

Interview Questions
    • Write a program to analyze if two strings are anagram.

Write a program to do integer multiplication, and then try to make it multithreafed/parallel in multi cpi (the job was to develop software for multi processor system).
        Answer Question

Software Development Engineer II Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2014.

1 behavior question
    2 write code to get biggest number in a array
    3 describe the time complexity of a problem, I said nlogk, but they said that is not the best, best is n
    4 how to compare two huge file in two different locations

Interview Questions
    • how to compare two huge file in two different locations   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in May 2014.

Applied online. Received an online questionnaire with 3 questions. Two questions were code questions and third was on design.
    Answered all the questions in around 90 mins but still got called for the onsite interview. There was a telephonic round for behavioral questions prior to onsite interviews.
    Company paid for 3 days hotel accommodation and all travel expenses.
    There were 4 one to one rounds.
    Results were communicated after after 2 days.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Two phone interviews and onsite interviews. I work at another company for 8+ years.
    Be as detail oriented as possible. Positive phone interview and negative onsite interview process, too less of time

Interview Questions
    • 1. Expression evaluation
      2. How would you design a system to sync bookmarks across various devices
      3. How would you design a telemetry system that alerts if a transaction takes over X seconds, multiple components involved in between
      4. Vendor says he has not received payment for the goods sold, what would you do
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2014.

Technical Question: I was asked to write code on collabedit: Program to do a spiral traversal of matrix
    I was asked which programming language I would choose between C and C++ and why? This was followed-on by some more questions - when would you not choose C or C++?

I was asked to mention my best project and describe what I liked in this project. I was then asked what was the thing you do not like in the the project you like best?

Interview Questions
    • What was the thing you do not like in the the project you like best?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in August 2013.

I submitted my resume to several open positions on their website. Within a couple of days I was contacted by a recruiter who wanted to set up a phone screen for a position that I actually had not applied to.

The phone screen problems consisted of a fairly simple array manipulation problem and a word game problem that I solved with a trie-like structure. The interviewer asked for ways my solution to the word game could be optimized and I gave him one which he seemed to like.

I was expecting to have another phone screen, but the next email I got from my recruiter was an invitation to fly to Seattle to interview on site. This email requested a bunch of information for booking the trip as well as what my expected salary and current salary were. I declined to answer the question about my current salary (which didn't seem to be a problem), but for the expected salary, I checked here for what their typical range was for the position I was being considered for and gave them one number that was somewhere in the 85th or 90th percentile of that range.

I signed an NDA for the on site interview stuff, but I will say that the book "Cracking the Coding Interview" by McDowell was EXTREMELY helpful. That book explained their entire interview process and had several examples that were similar to the questions they asked both in the phone screen and the on site interviews. One thing that is peculiar about Amazon's interviews is that they ask some behavioral questions that weigh pretty heavily in the decision-making process. When answering the behavioral questions, give answers that tie back into their core values (they'll send you information about their core values if you are invited on-site). "Cracking the Coding Interview" has some good examples of those behavioral-type questions as well as some good tips on how to prepare for them.

A good portion of the people I interviewed with had pretty thick accents, which made things a little more difficult. They all seemed pretty intelligent and very down-to-earth. Nobody seemed put off that they had to do the interview or anything, and they all claimed to really enjoy working for Amazon.

I was called the day after I interviewed on site and was told that they would be making me an offer. At that point the recruiter (which was a different recruiter than the one that initially contacted me, but was the person that set everything up for the on-site interview) asked me what my current salary was and told me what I could expect in terms of salary and bonuses. They had an official offer finalized within about 3 days.

The total time from submitting my resume online to accepting an offer was only about 5 weeks, so it was pretty quick.

The negotiations started with the number I gave as my expected salary before I had the on-site interviews. The recruiter that was putting together the offer (it seemed that she was the one crafting the details and then it was put before a committee or something to be approved) indicated that the number I gave as a base salary was just a bit higher than what I'd probably get. She explained that a large portion of their compensation package was equity. She initially indicated that the base salary they would offer would be about 85-90% of what I had asked for. She also wanted to know what my current salary was. Since I was pretty comfortable with the numbers she was giving, I told her what my current salary was, but indicated that I lived in a much cheaper place to live than Seattle. I told her that my biggest concern would be the raised cost of living compared to where I was living currently.
    When she got back to me with the final offer, it ended up being right around 95% of what I had asked for as a base salary. They also included a very large signing bonus and a big chunk of equity that would vest in a couple of years.
    The offer also included 2 weeks of vacation that accrue with each pay period, as well as an additional 6 days of leave that are available at the beginning of each year. I asked about getting 3 weeks of vacation, but it was explained that it might not be a good idea to ask for that much for the first year (everyone gets 3 weeks plus the extra 6 days after they've completed a year). I explained that I just wanted to be sure to have enough vacation to take a week at Christmas since I would be starting late in the year. She talked to my future manager and made sure that was alright.
    No other negotiations were had as the rest of the offer sounded pretty good and was quite a bit better than what I was currently getting (cost of living considered and all).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2014.

Numerous design oriented questions, some brief coding/implementation asked, but mostly high level.

Interview Questions
    • Design the software backend for a system that checks if vehicles are speeding on roads. Constraints: 1 camera per direction of road.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in August 2013.

At first, it's a phone interview. but not got phone call at the appointed time until waiting for another 10 minutes.
    The questions in phone interview is for algorithm test, and the first one is to revert a sentense which is a common one. Unfortunately my answer not accepted by interviewer, so did not pass the phone interview.

Software Development Engineer II Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com.

I was approached via my profile on LinkedIn.com by a sourcer at Amazon. I had an informational phone call with the hiring manager, followed by two technical screening phone calls. I was brought in for a full interview loop a couple of weeks later. From start to finish, the process took about a month. Regrettably, getting the results of the interview loop took another month.

Interview Questions
    • I'm going to give you 5 million dollars and I want you to spend it on purchasing keywords on Google, bringing Amazon to one of the favored positions, either at the top or to the right, for those keywords, and returning 50 million in increased revenue.   View Answer

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!