Amazon.com Software Developer Engineer II Interview Questions

Updated Apr 7, 2015
Updated Apr 7, 2015

3.5

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Amazon.com (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

There were 1 phone interview on machine learning concepts which I cleared. The second interview was a coding interview. Asked to find sub-strings from a string which are valid dictionary words. I used recursion and Dynamic programming for coding. Asked me to do the time complexity analysis. I answered everything correctly, write up a runnable code and the interviewer said good at the end of the interview. Got a rejection after 2 days.

Interview Questions

• Several machine learning concepts in the first interview such as Why decision tree is not better than a random forest, explain hypothesis testing, situation specific designs. In the second interview asked to find sub-strings from a string which are valid dictionary words.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2015.

Interview

Incredibly well-managed, every detail was scheduled like clockwork. First round phone screen was a technical assessment in a shared coding document. Second round was an onsite with 5 rounds of coding + design questions. Interviewers clearly coordinated to avoid question overlap and test the full range of what they wanted to see. Lots of focus on Amazon's leadership principles through behavioral questions as well.

Interview Questions

• I signed an NDA, and can't reveal specific questions. Standard data structures and algorithm questions.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA).

Interview

In my case, there was no phone interview before invited to the on-site interview. It was quite big interview event for New Grads. The event took a whole day from around 9am to 5pm. They made several groups with three members and each group receive a project to be solved in that day which is a kind of simplified version of problem that Amazon is currently facing in real world.

Interview Questions

• It took quite a bit of time to understand the problem exactly. One project is divided into three problems and each team member chooses one problem they want. Three problems are not that tightly related.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Interview

The first phone screen interview contained a basic data structure question, a basic OOD question, and a work style conversation. Second phone screen interview was mostly coding, based on a n- nary tree and recursion.

Interview Questions

• The second interview coding problem involved fleshing out geneaology software.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA).

Interview

One of the the more unpleasant interview experiences of my life. Interviewers were cold and unwilling to share any information beyond their "portfolio of question". Their "coding quiz" (which, in concept, is quite reasonable) asked some of the most bizarre questions, much of what I believe had little to do with "real life" applications - they were more attuned to a sophomore or junior-level undergrad, and, quite frankly, were a poor barometer to ascertain one's skill as a software engineer. I was, and still am, left puzzled as to how these folks make intelligent decisions on whom to hire - I believe they're turning away (and turning off) many highly talented people.

Interview Questions

• Their absurd quiz. Why would you ask someone to author a search algorithm from scratch when there are so many good ones available in open source and on various chat boards and blogs. A smart software engineer would never design one from scratch - he/she would look at what's been previously done (after all, it's NOT a new problem; it's been solved and optimized numerous times over), and select/adapt for one's specific application. I fail to see how this "quiz" helps differentiate good candidates from poor ones (IMO, it does quite the opposite).   1 Answer

several reasons - job was advertised for one location, but offered for a different locale; but, the primary reason was that the interview process left such a "bad taste in my mouth" that I question how well they would treat their employees (ie, if they asked such absurd question in the interview, could i expect them to be "reasonable" on the job?). The risk/reward equation didn't look appealing

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Interview

Had a online interview, personality test and then a onsite interview. Online interview was a lot like what other people have said on this site. They responded in a week's time giving me a personality test and after that I got an invite to Seattle. The process was the same as the University Hire events others have talked about here.

Interview Questions

• Signed an NDA so can't say much, but look over data structures and run times.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in November 2014.

Interview

Weird set of questions about constructing a search engine algorithm. Why would anyone waste time on something that has been done to death already? Not a very creative interview. That had a standard portfolio of questions they had to ask and they did not deviate from this list. I had high hopes for this interview because of how much I actually hold them in a very high regard.

Interview Questions

• Nothing terribly unexpected, just not creative for a company that is supposed to be cutting edge.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in November 2014.

Interview

Very detailed interview they asked great questions. Just gotta give great answers. Also make sure you are dressed formally because they judge you on how you're dressed. It you are speaking well they'll give you an offer. Have eye to eye contact

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in November 2014.

Interview

I worked at Amazon for several years before leaving to do a startup. Towards the end of my time at the startup I was contacted by a hiring manager in Amazon Web Services about a cool new position he was trying to hire for. I expressed interest but then everything went sideways. Apparently I wasn't eligible to be rehired but no one knew why. I spent several months going back and forth with various HR people to figure out why despite having positive reviews and having been asked by all of my previous managers (and several coworkers) to return I couldn't even get a phone screen. I still have yet to get a clear answer.

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Interview

Got mail and call from one of the hiring recruiters from the company. They were ready to take up interview almost immediately (like the next day). However, they asked when was the most convenient time. Scheduled for a telephonic interview which involved coding as well.

Interview Questions

• Not difficult question. Retrieve max three elements in an array in O(n)   1 Answer