Amazon.com Software Developer Engineer II Interview Questions

Updated Aug 28, 2015

3.5

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Interview

Phone Interview on Campus, than onsite for two rounds. The two rounds are all white board coding plus behavior questions. The phone interview is easy, ask about background and things and projects I've been working at school. on site interview are general data structure questions.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in July 2015.

Interview

I was first contacted by a recruiter from Amazon who after asking me to complete a questionnaire. After this, the recruiter organized a technical interview by phone. A week later the recruiter contacted me again and organized another technical phone interview. After the second phone interview I was invited to fly to Seattle for on-site interviews.

Interview Questions

• Write code for a simple implementation of a hash map.   Answer Question
    • How would you design and represent a Unix file system in code.   Answer Question
    • Given a tree representation how would you print a particular sequence of values within the tree.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was prompted to take an online code challenge after a few days. I was only allowed to use their testing site to answer the coding questions and was not allowed to consult the internet for anything. The coding challenge was set at 75 minutes and allowed me to pick between a few languages to use. None of the languages had third party libraries available to make solving the problems similar to how most do while programming on the job. There were a few days between every step of the process.

Interview Questions

• Sort a set of linked nodes; Determine if a string has balanced brackets. Studying up on what you learned in your algorithm courses in college will really help with this interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter and after an initial screening, i was given an online test to complete. Once i submitted that, i was informed that i cleared the test and was invited over to Seattle for the onsite interview. The interview was a very positive experience. I had 5 interviews each 45-mins in Seattle. 4 of them included white board coding and 1 was purely behavioral. It was a very positive experience for me overall. However i did feel a bit bad about the way one of the interviewers behaved. i was writing on the whiteboard and i turned to explain, i saw the interviewer rolling her/his eyes at me. that was a real mood killer and my confidence did a nose-dive. I had heard that amazon trained their interviewers extensively and this particular behavior was surprising to say the least and left a bad taste. I was able to give solutions for every single problem in all these interview sessions and had thought i might get an offer. Unfortunately, i did not get through !

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2015.

Interview

Was very challenging and a lot of fun, mostly CS stuff :) Several roationions with other developers writing code on the white board. Time and space complexity questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

5 interviews 45 minutes each, most of them require to write the code on the board In addition every interviewer asked about 2 amazon leadership principles, how you applied them in you past experience. It looks like they are very passion about them, available on the their website

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon.com (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

There were 1 phone interview on machine learning concepts which I cleared. The second interview was a coding interview. Asked to find sub-strings from a string which are valid dictionary words. I used recursion and Dynamic programming for coding. Asked me to do the time complexity analysis. I answered everything correctly, write up a runnable code and the interviewer said good at the end of the interview. Got a rejection after 2 days.

Interview Questions

• Several machine learning concepts in the first interview such as Why decision tree is not better than a random forest, explain hypothesis testing, situation specific designs. In the second interview asked to find sub-strings from a string which are valid dictionary words.   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2015.

Interview

I was told to log into Hackerrank five minutes before the interview was to begin and that I would be called at the designated time. I was told that I would be speaking with a specific person. I logged in five minutes before the interview was to begin and approximately 2 minutes after the designated time, another person logged into the Hackerrank session. The name did not match that of the person I was told that I would be speaking with. Approximately 30 seconds after the other person logged in, I received a phone call from someone who identified himself with the same name as the other person in the Hackerrank session. There was no explanation as to why I was speaking with a different person. I also did not have time to ask as the person whom I was speaking with immediately started talking very rapidly. He was also extremely difficult to understand due to a combination of VERY fast talking, lots of sharp breath sounds through his microphone, and a constant rewording of almost everything he said. He seemed to be very nervous and seemed to lack confidence in what he was saying to me. The interview then told me that the the interview would consist of a series of questions about myself and then about Object Oriented programming. He stated that after the questions, I would be required to write some code via Hackerrank. He then asked two very vague and badly worded questions. I say badly worded because he stopped himself mid-sentence multiple times for both questions and either changed what he was asking or seemed to ask additional questions. I had to paraphrase back to him what I thought he was asking me in order to know what to say. After answering the questions that I think he asked, he immediately skipped to asking me to code an entire event ticket system. Upon asking him to confirm what I thought he said, he stated that I was to "reinvent Ticketmaster" during our interview. At this point I ended the interview explaining to him that I could barely understand what he was saying and did not feel that the coding part of the interview was appropriate for a phone interview.

Interview Questions

• What are most proud of?   1 Answer
    • Without having anything to do with a specific project or task, what ideas do you have for improving team cohesion?   1 Answer
    • Design an event ticket system? Reinvent Ticketmaster.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (San Diego, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I was contacted to participate in a hiring event in San Diego, CA by a recruiter. Then I was given a coding challenge which I partially completed but was invited to the onsite interviews held in Marriot in in La Jolla, San Diego. Typical 5 rounds, each 45 mins. One was with the Manager and the other 4 were pure technical rounds. The interview questions were average but they needed a complete and clean code on whiteboard.

Interview Questions

• System Design, Big O, Coding the solutions on a whiteboard   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2015.

Interview

Incredibly well-managed, every detail was scheduled like clockwork. First round phone screen was a technical assessment in a shared coding document. Second round was an onsite with 5 rounds of coding + design questions. Interviewers clearly coordinated to avoid question overlap and test the full range of what they wanted to see. Lots of focus on Amazon's leadership principles through behavioral questions as well.

Interview Questions

• I signed an NDA, and can't reveal specific questions. Standard data structures and algorithm questions.   Answer Question