Amazon.com Software Developer Engineer II Interview Questions

Updated Jul 22, 2015

3.5

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter and after an initial screening, i was given an online test to complete. Once i submitted that, i was informed that i cleared the test and was invited over to Seattle for the onsite interview. The interview was a very positive experience. I had 5 interviews each 45-mins in Seattle. 4 of them included white board coding and 1 was purely behavioral. It was a very positive experience for me overall. However i did feel a bit bad about the way one of the interviewers behaved. i was writing on the whiteboard and i turned to explain, i saw the interviewer rolling her/his eyes at me. that was a real mood killer and my confidence did a nose-dive. I had heard that amazon trained their interviewers extensively and this particular behavior was surprising to say the least and left a bad taste. I was able to give solutions for every single problem in all these interview sessions and had thought i might get an offer. Unfortunately, i did not get through !

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in June 2015.

Interview

Was very challenging and a lot of fun, mostly CS stuff :) Several roationions with other developers writing code on the white board. Time and space complexity questions.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

5 interviews 45 minutes each, most of them require to write the code on the board In addition every interviewer asked about 2 amazon leadership principles, how you applied them in you past experience. It looks like they are very passion about them, available on the their website

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Amazon.com (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

There were 1 phone interview on machine learning concepts which I cleared. The second interview was a coding interview. Asked to find sub-strings from a string which are valid dictionary words. I used recursion and Dynamic programming for coding. Asked me to do the time complexity analysis. I answered everything correctly, write up a runnable code and the interviewer said good at the end of the interview. Got a rejection after 2 days.

Interview Questions

• Several machine learning concepts in the first interview such as Why decision tree is not better than a random forest, explain hypothesis testing, situation specific designs. In the second interview asked to find sub-strings from a string which are valid dictionary words.   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in April 2015.

Interview

I was told to log into Hackerrank five minutes before the interview was to begin and that I would be called at the designated time. I was told that I would be speaking with a specific person. I logged in five minutes before the interview was to begin and approximately 2 minutes after the designated time, another person logged into the Hackerrank session. The name did not match that of the person I was told that I would be speaking with. Approximately 30 seconds after the other person logged in, I received a phone call from someone who identified himself with the same name as the other person in the Hackerrank session. There was no explanation as to why I was speaking with a different person. I also did not have time to ask as the person whom I was speaking with immediately started talking very rapidly. He was also extremely difficult to understand due to a combination of VERY fast talking, lots of sharp breath sounds through his microphone, and a constant rewording of almost everything he said. He seemed to be very nervous and seemed to lack confidence in what he was saying to me. The interview then told me that the the interview would consist of a series of questions about myself and then about Object Oriented programming. He stated that after the questions, I would be required to write some code via Hackerrank. He then asked two very vague and badly worded questions. I say badly worded because he stopped himself mid-sentence multiple times for both questions and either changed what he was asking or seemed to ask additional questions. I had to paraphrase back to him what I thought he was asking me in order to know what to say. After answering the questions that I think he asked, he immediately skipped to asking me to code an entire event ticket system. Upon asking him to confirm what I thought he said, he stated that I was to "reinvent Ticketmaster" during our interview. At this point I ended the interview explaining to him that I could barely understand what he was saying and did not feel that the coding part of the interview was appropriate for a phone interview.

Interview Questions

• What are most proud of?   1 Answer
    • Without having anything to do with a specific project or task, what ideas do you have for improving team cohesion?   1 Answer
    • Design an event ticket system? Reinvent Ticketmaster.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2015.

Interview

Incredibly well-managed, every detail was scheduled like clockwork. First round phone screen was a technical assessment in a shared coding document. Second round was an onsite with 5 rounds of coding + design questions. Interviewers clearly coordinated to avoid question overlap and test the full range of what they wanted to see. Lots of focus on Amazon's leadership principles through behavioral questions as well.

Interview Questions

• I signed an NDA, and can't reveal specific questions. Standard data structures and algorithm questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA).

Interview

One of the the more unpleasant interview experiences of my life. Interviewers were cold and unwilling to share any information beyond their "portfolio of question". Their "coding quiz" (which, in concept, is quite reasonable) asked some of the most bizarre questions, much of what I believe had little to do with "real life" applications - they were more attuned to a sophomore or junior-level undergrad, and, quite frankly, were a poor barometer to ascertain one's skill as a software engineer. I was, and still am, left puzzled as to how these folks make intelligent decisions on whom to hire - I believe they're turning away (and turning off) many highly talented people.

Interview Questions

• Their absurd quiz. Why would you ask someone to author a search algorithm from scratch when there are so many good ones available in open source and on various chat boards and blogs. A smart software engineer would never design one from scratch - he/she would look at what's been previously done (after all, it's NOT a new problem; it's been solved and optimized numerous times over), and select/adapt for one's specific application. I fail to see how this "quiz" helps differentiate good candidates from poor ones (IMO, it does quite the opposite).   1 Answer

several reasons - job was advertised for one location, but offered for a different locale; but, the primary reason was that the interview process left such a "bad taste in my mouth" that I question how well they would treat their employees (ie, if they asked such absurd question in the interview, could i expect them to be "reasonable" on the job?). The risk/reward equation didn't look appealing

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA).

Interview

In my case, there was no phone interview before invited to the on-site interview. It was quite big interview event for New Grads. The event took a whole day from around 9am to 5pm. They made several groups with three members and each group receive a project to be solved in that day which is a kind of simplified version of problem that Amazon is currently facing in real world.

Interview Questions

• It took quite a bit of time to understand the problem exactly. One project is divided into three problems and each team member chooses one problem they want. Three problems are not that tightly related.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Interview

The first phone screen interview contained a basic data structure question, a basic OOD question, and a work style conversation. Second phone screen interview was mostly coding, based on a n- nary tree and recursion.

Interview Questions

• The second interview coding problem involved fleshing out geneaology software.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Interview

Had a online interview, personality test and then a onsite interview. Online interview was a lot like what other people have said on this site. They responded in a week's time giving me a personality test and after that I got an invite to Seattle. The process was the same as the University Hire events others have talked about here.

Interview Questions

• Signed an NDA so can't say much, but look over data structures and run times.   Answer Question