Amazon.com Software Developer Engineer Intern Interview Questions

Updated Jun 22, 2014

3.2

205 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

My phone interview for Software Development Engineer Intern at Amazon.com was my first phone interview ever. It was a very interesting experience. There were two rounds of interviewing, each lasting 45 minutes each and all the questions asked were purely technical.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Software Development Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2012.

A friend of mine submitted my resume to a hiring manager and I got a phone call about a week later to set up a phone interview. The phone interview involved two different people, both of whom went straight into the technical questioning. There was none of the typical interview banter or "what's your greatest weakness" sort of vagueness. The second guy didn't even have inflection in his voice. He was just a cold, hard, questioning robot... creepy!

About halfway through the phone call I was asked to sit down at my computer and log on to a website where the interviewer watched me write some code to solve a problem he'd specified (printing a series of numbers to a console in a spiral pattern). It was a bit difficult since every time I stopped to think he'd ask me what I was thinking. After several minutes of thinking out loud and typing nervously I managed to complete the problem.

After the online portion of the interview, I was given homework (see "Most Difficult or Unexpected Question"), and told to submit it to them by the end of the day! I had a hot date with tickets to a show that evening, but as the hours went by it became clear that I was going to have to cancel to work on the interview problem. Frustrated and bitter, I resigned to submit what I had by midnight along with documentation on the missing aspects of my solution.

A few days went by and I heard nothing. I still had some questions about the internship that I didn't have a chance to ask over the phone, so I e-mailed my recruiter. She replied the next day with a form letter telling me that they'd decided to pursue other candidates.

Interview Questions
    • Recreate the StringBuilder class in C++ from the ground up.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2012.

There were 3 interview rounds. The first interview round started with basically explaining about my projects. Later he shifted his focus to basic Questions in java. The Questions were quite easy but he asked everything in details. He later gave me a shared editor and asked me to code for common parent in a binary tree. The second interview started in the same fashion, asking me regarding the projects. It was followed by again coding questions on the shared editor.The interviewer asked me to design a parking lot. He also asked me various stuff on External Sorting. The Third Interview was a bar raiser interview where there were certain tough questions to be tackled.

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2013.

The process involved two technical interviews. After passing these, I was invited for the last round of 3 on-site interviews. I was not prepared for some of the questions and we finished off with a technical session focussing on oo-design. One has to revise data structures, know oo-design, networking + internet.

Interview Questions
    • -Name one incident in the past where you broke a rule/law to achieve something desirable   Answer Question

2 phone interviews back to back

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral questions like how will you explain internet to a small child   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tempe, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2013.

I got an email for an on campus interview. and there were two rounds in the interview scheduled. The interviewers were very nice and helped wherever i got stuck. Had asked about algorithms, recursion, data structures

Interview Questions
    • I got a question on recursion, i had to find a path in a maze of n*n matrix.   Answer Question

Intern Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2013.

Initially had two phone interviews back to back. Each interview lasted an hour and a half with a fifteen minute break in between. Then had a third phone interview about one week later. The interviews were technical in nature. Interview focused on object oriented programming, data structures, and complexity analysis.

Interview Questions
    • given an array of nonnegative integers and the size of the array, within the array every number except one number appears an even number of times, the other is appears an odd number of times, write a function to return the number that appears an odd number of times.   View Answer
    • Write an iterative Fibonacci function   View Answers (2)
    • Implement an algorithm to find the 3rd to last element of a singly linked list of unknown size   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tucson, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

Was contacted for 2 rounds of phone interview.The questions were based on tree.

Interview Questions
    • You have matrix,how will reach a point by covering minimum distance.   Answer Question
    • How to check whether an integer is palindrome or not.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2013.

The entire process was very smooth. I applied online through the campus career center, and about a week later was contacted to schedule an interview. There were two back-to-back 45 minute interviews, both of which were highly technical in nature. I was asked several questions relating to data structures (hash tables, linked lists, queues, binary trees), algorithms, time complexity etc.

Interview Questions
    • How to handle collisions in a hash table   View Answer
    • Merge two sorted linked lists   View Answer
    • Implement a double-ended queue with random access capability   Answer Question
    • Determine the fewest number of coins that can add up to a number. Should work for any 'currency'.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2013.

Applied online
    Got a call from Amazon.com after nearly 2months.

Phone interview were two 45min technical with a 15min break.

1st interview
    1. I give you two sorted arrays and the output should be one sorted array -- How do you do that ? and code it
    2. Something about hashtable and hashmaps

2nd interview
    was more Algorithmic and it was related to Binary search tree's

Interview Questions

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!