Amazon.com

Average Difficulty
48 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Very Difficult Interview

College Park, MD

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2013.

Interview Details – I had a friend hook me up with an interview from my university. I am a junior this year, and I don't believe that my resume would have gotten noticed otherwise. They came to my campus and conducted a 90 minute interview where two interviewers had me do 2 fairly difficult coding problems each (full out in my language of preference). I thought they weren't interested in me but heard back after one night that my interviewers were very impressed with me.

Interview Question – I had to implement a data structure for a last Least Recent Delete Cache and write relevant functions (it was a class for me since I used Java). Some functions included puts(Key key, Value value) and get(Key key). When I was stuck they helped me out.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – haven't spoken with them yet about prices.

Software Developer Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2013.

Interview Details – Phone Interview. 2 back to back interviews of 45 minutes.

Interview Question – All the basic questions and couple of coding assignment over collabedit, asked to design a data stucture to represent a game environment and then for a dictionary.   Answer Question

Software Development Intern

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online for an internship position and got an e-mail 1-2 weeks later to setup 2 phone interviews on the same day for 2-3 weeks later. I interviewed with 2 different people for about an hour each. They both asked me one question about my resume, one question about past projects, and then they delved further. They each asked me a question about a concept of Computer Science or Data Structure or something of the liking and told me to get specific. When I got as specific as I could, I was again asked to delve deeper. I believe they wanted to see how I would react in stressful situations and react when they knew I couldn't answer further. Two examples of the questions they asked were how C# and Java were alike and different, and everything you could possibly know about Garbage Collection.

After that section, I was asked to write code with paper and pencil on a coding problem (two of the questions were to figure out if a word is the same backwards and forwards (ex: aba, racecar) and find all the permutations of a string). I was asked to talk as I wrote the code to describe my thought process. Once completed, I was asked what the efficiency in Big O Notation was and how I could rewrite my program to be more efficient. Even when I thought my explanation was as efficient as it could get, they asked me to be even more efficient, again testing me further.

After that I could ask them whatever questions and they answered them in great detail. I connected well with one of the interviewers and enjoyed talking to him a lot. A couple of days later I got an e-mail saying that there would be a third interview. I suggest having good questions prepared so you can have a good connection and conversation with your interviewer.

The third interview did not go so well. I had trouble understanding the interviewer due to background noise and an accent I was unfamiliar with (I'm normally good with accents due to both parents being foreign). It started off the same way as the other two, but this time as I coded she didn't want to hear my thought process. You would think this would be easier, but I feel there's more pressure to finish quickly. The question she asked me to code was to reverse a linked list.

Overall, I was fairly surprised by how easy the coding questions were and I think I performed well on those. The general knowledge questions was what I think ultimately caused me to not get an offer, alongside not having taken the class that went deep into analysis of algorithms and algorithm efficiency. Study both well and I think you will not have a problem.

Interview Questions

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online and got a mail from the HR for a telephonic interview. I was given an oppurtunity og select a slot from the listed available dates and time.

There were two interview each lasting for 45 min with a break of 15 min in the middle.
The firs interviewer was an Indian guy who was very professional. He tested me on a Java question related to
an string anagram.

The second interviewer was a Chinese female. It was a bit difficult to understand her accent. She tested basic computer science knowledge, data structure, java concepts like inheritance, polymorphism, things about garbage collector etc. In the end she asked me a data structure programing question about a n* n matrix wherein i had to turn the matrix by k places.

I did give almost all the answers but I think my first interview screwed me. I could just complete one programming task in that 45 minutes.

Seattle, WA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2012.

Interview Details – Amazon posted an intern offer on my school career website. I submitted my resume, was contact about 2 weeks later to schedule two 45 minute phone interview. First interview I was asked about to describe projects on my resume, then was asked to list off some data structures. Asked to list all the sorting algorithms I could think of (only listed mergesort, quicksort) and then was asked if I knew the runtimes of these. Then was a coding question which I can't remember, something to do with strings. I had to read it aloud back to him. Asked how I could improve it and the runtime. Then asked about object oriented programming and how I would represent a card game and which methods it would need. The interview ended with me asking questions. The second interview was with someone with a heavier Indian accent, he said he was a tester. He asked me the difference between an arraylist and linked list, then to write a program on paper, I cant remember what it was exactly. I was then asked how I would test the program and if there were bugs how I would deal with them. Then asked about polymorphism and inheritance. Interview ended with me asking questions. I was contacted about a week later to schedule a 3rd phone interview and they actually apologized that I had to have one. Had the interview a week later and right off the bat was asked only one programming question. It was how to find a subset in a string. I had to describe the runtime. The interview was only a half hour I believe and it ended with me just talking to the guy, he had been working there for 7 years and knew someone else who had for 13 years. Asked about the pagers, etc. The day after I was offered an acceptance. To tell the truth, I thought I ruined my chance with all interviews. I answered runtimes wrong, and admitted I didn't remember what polymorphism was. So I was very surprised that I had an offer for another interview. I also thought I ruined the 3rd interview because it took em a very long time to figure the answer--and I don't even know if i got the right answer in the end, because the interviewer had to help me. The main key is to EXPLAIN YOURSELF. I said I had difficulty with things, and how I would TRY to program it or fix it and just talked it out while I was writing it. It really helps to show how you think ,which I guess they liked in my case!

Interview Question – Find a subset string specified in a big string.   View Answer

Seattle, WA

The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2012.

Interview Details – 2 45 minute interviews mainly asked questions related to data structures, pointers and hashmaps.

Interview Questions

• sort a 100k array of numbers, may contain duplicates   View Answer
  • sort a linked list which has mangled pointers   View Answer

Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2013.

Interview Details – Can't say much but the interviewers are very nice and friendly

Interview Question – explain concept to someone who is not a computer scientist   Answer Question

Software Development Intern

I applied online and the process took 9+ months - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – Applied in March, got an interview offer in November. Two 45 min phone interviews. Asked about sorting algorithm, linked list, reversing characters of each words in a sentence., OO concept. The first interviewer sounded like a douche, did not guide me when I was struggling, and gave few word feedback after I answered every questions. The second interviewer was nice.

Interview Question – Use OO to design shape (The interviewer did not clarify any further)   Answer Question

Software Developer Intern

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – Received an email for two back-to-back phone interview, each 45 mins long. Basic questions on resume like projects worked on etc, then standard behavioral questions followed by specific programming questions. Make sure to go over the material they advise you to review to be better prepared for the interview. Think out loud.

Interview Question – Know data structures and alogos well, and OOP prinicples. Explain every step of the way what you are doing and why.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in November 2013.

Interview Details – I applied through online and received an email from them after a month to schedule a phone interview. The interview was technical in nature, involving programming questions and hands-on programming on Collabedit

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!