Amazon.com Software Developer Intern Interview Questions & Reviews

3.1

48 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Employee  in  Ithaca, NY
Anonymous Employee in Ithaca, NY

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2013.

Two 45 minutes Interview on Campus. Recruiters are all great guys.

Interview Questions
  • Tower of Hanoi   Answer Question
  • Play a game that always starts from you. Each time you can only pick up 1 or 3 or 4 coins from the table. Who leaves the enemy with no coins to pick up wins the game. Assume that your enemy is super intelligent that if there is a way he/ she can win, he/ she wins. Question: Write a function to return if you will win or lose the game say given n coins on the table.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2013.

Can't say much but the interviewers are very nice and friendly

Interview Questions
    • explain concept to someone who is not a computer scientist   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in December 2012.

I applied to Amazon on their website and was contacted via email to set up two 45-minute technical interviews.

Each ended up lasting about an hour, and involved a few personal questions (e.g. tell me about a difficult problem you encountered and how you solved it, what's your favorite data structure) followed by short-answer technical questions (e.g. what is a hash table), and finally a programming problem. I was asked to code live on a code collaboration website, and was allowed to pick my preferred language.

The coding questions were fairly simple - they don't try to hit you with anything you haven't seen before. One involved searching a linked list, then adding the possibility of duplicates, then detecting whether the list looped.

The interviewers are very nice - they are not out to trick you and will nudge you in the right direction if you get stuck.

Interview Questions
    • Given a linked list, find a key value and how many times it occurs. Include the possibility of a loop.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Baton Rouge, LA
    Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

I interviewed online - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2011.

I was initially contacted via email. They set up two forty-five minute interviews with me. Both interviewers began by asking me to describe a project I had worked on that I enjoyed or was proud of before moving on to more technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • Create a card game in Java. Say basic poker rules. Use whatever classes you see fit.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2012.

2 45 minute interviews mainly asked questions related to data structures, pointers and hashmaps.

Interview Questions
    • sort a 100k array of numbers, may contain duplicates   View Answer
    • sort a linked list which has mangled pointers   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2012.

Amazon posted an intern offer on my school career website. I submitted my resume, was contact about 2 weeks later to schedule two 45 minute phone interview. First interview I was asked about to describe projects on my resume, then was asked to list off some data structures. Asked to list all the sorting algorithms I could think of (only listed mergesort, quicksort) and then was asked if I knew the runtimes of these. Then was a coding question which I can't remember, something to do with strings. I had to read it aloud back to him. Asked how I could improve it and the runtime. Then asked about object oriented programming and how I would represent a card game and which methods it would need. The interview ended with me asking questions. The second interview was with someone with a heavier Indian accent, he said he was a tester. He asked me the difference between an arraylist and linked list, then to write a program on paper, I cant remember what it was exactly. I was then asked how I would test the program and if there were bugs how I would deal with them. Then asked about polymorphism and inheritance. Interview ended with me asking questions. I was contacted about a week later to schedule a 3rd phone interview and they actually apologized that I had to have one. Had the interview a week later and right off the bat was asked only one programming question. It was how to find a subset in a string. I had to describe the runtime. The interview was only a half hour I believe and it ended with me just talking to the guy, he had been working there for 7 years and knew someone else who had for 13 years. Asked about the pagers, etc. The day after I was offered an acceptance. To tell the truth, I thought I ruined my chance with all interviews. I answered runtimes wrong, and admitted I didn't remember what polymorphism was. So I was very surprised that I had an offer for another interview. I also thought I ruined the 3rd interview because it took em a very long time to figure the answer--and I don't even know if i got the right answer in the end, because the interviewer had to help me. The main key is to EXPLAIN YOURSELF. I said I had difficulty with things, and how I would TRY to program it or fix it and just talked it out while I was writing it. It really helps to show how you think ,which I guess they liked in my case!

Interview Questions
    • Find a subset string specified in a big string.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2012.

I applied online and got a mail from the HR for a telephonic interview. I was given an oppurtunity og select a slot from the listed available dates and time.

There were two interview each lasting for 45 min with a break of 15 min in the middle.
    The firs interviewer was an Indian guy who was very professional. He tested me on a Java question related to
    an string anagram.

The second interviewer was a Chinese female. It was a bit difficult to understand her accent. She tested basic computer science knowledge, data structure, java concepts like inheritance, polymorphism, things about garbage collector etc. In the end she asked me a data structure programing question about a n* n matrix wherein i had to turn the matrix by k places.

I did give almost all the answers but I think my first interview screwed me. I could just complete one programming task in that 45 minutes.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2012.

The interview was kind of straightforward .

1st round :

1) Given 2 million stars and their distance from earth, how will you pick out the 200 closest stars? Assume that you can have only 10000 stars at a time in memory.
    Was asked to write code for this question..

2nd round
    2) Remove repeating characters from a string.
    Eg: "Green Apple"
    O/p: Grn Apl

No extra memory allowed - no hashing , no extra arrays. You may use extra variables.

Software Developer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in November 2013.

Was sent a coding test with a question whereafter I was invited to come down to the London Development center for a on-site interview. The interview started directly with a whiteboard coding question involving a game (whose name I've forgotten sorry), after that there was a bit time for standard competency questions. It took one hour in total. Afterwards we were given a tour of the office. There was two interviewers who both had their nose down their laptop for the majority of the interview typing away notes (i presume) which was a bit of a distraction.

Software Developer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2013.

I applied on internet.
    A few days after, they sent me a program to write.
    The program was not very difficult. But what they wanted was a program which could be very fast with a huge amounts of data.
    The program:
    I had a file representing a binary tree. In the file, it was coded like that:
    B,C
    NULL,B
    C,A
    ...
    Null meant that B was the main uppest node.
    Then, C was the son of B and A the son of C.
    The program took a depth and the file in input and should give the node which were at this depth in alphabetical order.

After that, I received a notification to go in London.
    I was in front of two ingeneers of Amazon and it was technical questions.
    The question was not difficult but I misunderstood the question bacause of my english and so I lost a lot of time.

Interview Questions
    • The question was to fin the number of time an array was schifted.
      For example: