Amazon.com

Amazon.com Software Developer Intern Interview Questions

3.1

48 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Development Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Applied in March, got an interview offer in November. Two 45 min phone interviews. Asked about sorting algorithm, linked list, reversing characters of each words in a sentence., OO concept. The first interviewer sounded like a douche, did not guide me when I was struggling, and gave few word feedback after I answered every questions. The second interviewer was nice.

Interview Questions
  • Use OO to design shape (The interviewer did not clarify any further)   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Software Development Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Straightforward. Two phone interviews were scheduled on consecutive days a week after the recruiter contacted me. Asked some data structures question, a few simple coding problems, and then some general OO design stuff. Coding was done via collabedit while on the phone.

Interviewers were nice and would provide hints if necessary. Make sure you know your running times.

Interview Questions
    • Be ready to use OO concepts to answer some very general design questions.   Answer Question

Software Developer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I got 1:1 technical interview. It was on campus interview and I was bit late due to some reason. I finally got rejected and I believe that was the reason. The person asked me to develop a stack in any language and dragged me to different questions from that. Around 30 minutes was the duration.

Interview Questions
    • At very first started with coding. Didn't ask anything else before that.   Answer Question

Software Developer Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2012.

Applied Online. Got a reply by email asking to schedule phone interview. Phone interview was two 45 minute sessions with 2 interviewers respectively. Was asked basic data structure questions like arrays stacks queues O(n) .For ex: what is an array. Then was asked to write codes to traverse an array in O(n). and then traversing circular list in O(n).

Software Development Intern Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2012.

Both interviewers were very polite and let you do your thing. They asked many questions like runtimes and one question that had me stumped for a while that involved cutting off my access to built in methods and trying to come up with a solution with only basic tools. It was interesting but not at all what I was expecting so I ended up screwing that part up. I would say the interview was difficult but in part due to my lack or preparation. As far as CS interviews go, it was not difficult, so if you are used to these interviews from other companies then you might have an easier time than usual.

Interview Questions
    • What are the runtimes of the functions involved in a Hash Table?   Answer Question
    • If there is a file that many people can access to either read or write. How would you handle that file? Make a system that allows people to read and write (conceptually) and how would people access it while others are changing it?   Answer Question

Software Development Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in December 2011.

Standard interview divided in two phone interviews with a 15 minutes break.

The first interviewer was a french man; he has very friendly and polite. Made the interview a VERY positive experience. Asked me why I did certain things while I was solving a problem, and slightly guided me towards the most correct answer. He made sure I understood the concepts, and even answered questions about how it is working for amazon. He was a an awesome interviewer

The second interviewer was a hindu woman, which I didn't get along with. She was hurrying me all the time, and made the whole conversation very uncomfortable; even asked if I was guessing (although I answered precisely and correctly to all of the questions,) and at one point I asked her to clarify a question to which she responded with a rude "NEVERMIND"

The Interview itself is very technical, the two parts are identical, but independent; meaning they consist mainly in simple questions about data structures, algorithms, and object oriented design.

Interview Questions
    • Write a function in java to calculate all the possible palindromes in a string.   View Answers (2)

Software Development Intern Interview

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in October 2011.

I had three phone interviews and all were simple. The Interviewers were quite friendly and helps you with the problems. However for amazon its really important to get hold of design questions they almost asks one design question to everyone.

Software Development Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2011.

I applied online for an internship position and got an e-mail 1-2 weeks later to setup 2 phone interviews on the same day for 2-3 weeks later. I interviewed with 2 different people for about an hour each. They both asked me one question about my resume, one question about past projects, and then they delved further. They each asked me a question about a concept of Computer Science or Data Structure or something of the liking and told me to get specific. When I got as specific as I could, I was again asked to delve deeper. I believe they wanted to see how I would react in stressful situations and react when they knew I couldn't answer further. Two examples of the questions they asked were how C# and Java were alike and different, and everything you could possibly know about Garbage Collection.

After that section, I was asked to write code with paper and pencil on a coding problem (two of the questions were to figure out if a word is the same backwards and forwards (ex: aba, racecar) and find all the permutations of a string). I was asked to talk as I wrote the code to describe my thought process. Once completed, I was asked what the efficiency in Big O Notation was and how I could rewrite my program to be more efficient. Even when I thought my explanation was as efficient as it could get, they asked me to be even more efficient, again testing me further.

After that I could ask them whatever questions and they answered them in great detail. I connected well with one of the interviewers and enjoyed talking to him a lot. A couple of days later I got an e-mail saying that there would be a third interview. I suggest having good questions prepared so you can have a good connection and conversation with your interviewer.

The third interview did not go so well. I had trouble understanding the interviewer due to background noise and an accent I was unfamiliar with (I'm normally good with accents due to both parents being foreign). It started off the same way as the other two, but this time as I coded she didn't want to hear my thought process. You would think this would be easier, but I feel there's more pressure to finish quickly. The question she asked me to code was to reverse a linked list.

Overall, I was fairly surprised by how easy the coding questions were and I think I performed well on those. The general knowledge questions was what I think ultimately caused me to not get an offer, alongside not having taken the class that went deep into analysis of algorithms and algorithm efficiency. Study both well and I think you will not have a problem.