Amazon.com

Average Difficulty
129 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2014.

Interview Details – Went quickly after submitting a resume. The phone interview was the toughest of those I've had, covered the broadest range of questions instead of one problem in detail. Shared document for part of that. It went well and an onsite interview was scheduled very quickly afterward. It was the one dog-friendly office I visited, which would've been nice :)

Interview Question – NDA covers exact questions. Coding on a whiteboard, both design and algorithm coding questions.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

Interview Details – Interviewed for a software developer position for Amazon Global Payments. The interview lasted about 90 minutes where I was asked questions on data structures, CS fundamentals, basic algorithm knowledge and asked to solve a coding problem using Collabedit (online whiteboard). Did some research before the interview and answered the questions easily. Had trouble with the coding problem but seemed to complete it okay.

Interview Question – Asked to break up a string with no spaces into valid words ie. "itwasthebestoftimes" should be processed to read as "it was the best of times".   Answer Question

Software Developer

I interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

Interview Details – First,they asked my about my preferred language then i was asked all the technical question and in later they asked me more about the projects I have done. Then at the end they asked me whether I had any question for them. The question was like :
1)what is a BST? given an example then was asked is this a BSt?
2) write the code for find whether the tree is BST or not?
3)time complexity of your algorithm
4)write your atoi function with two parameter as base and number.

Interview Question – All the question were basic coding question. They asked me to the implete a simpler version of a mine sweeper game.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

Interview Details – For college students, an on-site group interview is likely, without any phone interviews.

I was contacted a few days after submitting an online application and resume, for an on-site interview later that month. All the interviewees were college students, both undergraduate and graduate.

Due to non-disclosure I cannot discuss questions, but it is already known that these group interviews split candidates into groups of 3, and allow them to each work on a portion of a problem. You are given a laptop, and a choice of languages, and several hours (roughly from 9:30am to 4:30pm) to provide the code for the solution.

During that time there were several interviewers who took us aside to ask us how we were solving the problem, first as a group, then as individuals. This part was closer to a standard interview: discuss the problem, things you fix, things you fail to fix, further work.

There was a tour in the morning, and a Q&A with employees at the end of the day.

Received an offer a few days later. Had 2 weeks to decide. Was given a choice of groups within the company to join.

Interview Question – Non-disclosure Agreement covers these questions.

Recommendation: fully outline your plan in comments before writing code. If you do not finish, or your code does not work correctly, there will be a record of what you intended.

Standard review of algorithms and data structures is good, but also practice writing, running, and testing code.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I am a recent graduate, so I did not have leverage to negotiate, but am content with my offer.

Software Developer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – Applied in university career services, two 45-min interviews on campus.
Generally not hard.

Software Developer

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

Interview Details – 2 interviews 45 mins each

Interview Question – find all possible combinations to get a particular sum from an array   Answer Question

Software Developer

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Interview Details – Online assesement

2)find the duplicates in an array
3)Given a 2d matrix print the path with the maximum score form 00 to m*n
  Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Amazon.com in December 2013.

Interview Details – It was not a normal interview process. This interview was different from the normal ones, it was based on full day project.
In this project recruiters will form a team of 3 or less and they will assign a project which will consist of three parts.
By the EOD you will have to complete all the three modules of the project. While you are working on the project, they will have 30-40min interview with you, where they will ask you questions about the given project like how and what will you implement? and why this module? Data structures and details about it.

Interview Question – It was question related to a project we were working on.   Answer Question

Software Developer

Interview Details – I gave my resume in at a career fair and was asked to come in for on-site interviews. It was one interview then I was called back for 2 hours of 3 more similar interviews. All were similar, introduce yourself, general technical questions then a coding question.

Interview Question – Implement insert and delete for a trinary tree.   View Answer

Software Developer

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2013.

Interview Details – There were four rounds of interview. cleared first round. basic questions on data structures and algo( binary search, linked lists, BST) The other rounds involved questions on system design. The overall experience was good. The interviews focus more on your analytical and logical thinking and less on your coding skills.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Amazon.com

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!

Amazon.com Videos

Amazon.com – Why Work for Us?

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amazon.com Software Developer interview questions and advice. All 129 interview reviews posted anonymously by Amazon.com employees and interview candidates.