Amazon.com Software Developer Interview Questions & Reviews

131 interviews

3.4

131 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Developer Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in May 2014.

I applied through a friend whose team was hiring in Seattle Area. They called me up and we had a brief chat about setting up the interview.

Once the interview was setup I got a call from them on a Friday and the interview process lasted 30 minutes. Yes 30 minutes, it was that bad.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Telephone Interview
    - Asked about basic hashmap, linkedlists, arraylists, OOP questions (15 minutes)
    - Program how to return the sorted list given 2 unsorted lists(1 hr.)
    - Program how to return the inorder traversal of the tree given a preorder string (1 hr).

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2014.

Went quickly after submitting a resume. The phone interview was the toughest of those I've had, covered the broadest range of questions instead of one problem in detail. Shared document for part of that. It went well and an onsite interview was scheduled very quickly afterward. It was the one dog-friendly office I visited, which would've been nice :)

Interview Questions
    • NDA covers exact questions. Coding on a whiteboard, both design and algorithm coding questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

Interviewed for a software developer position for Amazon Global Payments. The interview lasted about 90 minutes where I was asked questions on data structures, CS fundamentals, basic algorithm knowledge and asked to solve a coding problem using Collabedit (online whiteboard). Did some research before the interview and answered the questions easily. Had trouble with the coding problem but seemed to complete it okay.

Interview Questions
    • Asked to break up a string with no spaces into valid words ie. "itwasthebestoftimes" should be processed to read as "it was the best of times".   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

First,they asked my about my preferred language then i was asked all the technical question and in later they asked me more about the projects I have done. Then at the end they asked me whether I had any question for them. The question was like :
    1)what is a BST? given an example then was asked is this a BSt?
    2) write the code for find whether the tree is BST or not?
    3)time complexity of your algorithm
    4)write your atoi function with two parameter as base and number.

Interview Questions
    • All the question were basic coding question. They asked me to the implete a simpler version of a mine sweeper game.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

For college students, an on-site group interview is likely, without any phone interviews.

I was contacted a few days after submitting an online application and resume, for an on-site interview later that month. All the interviewees were college students, both undergraduate and graduate.

Due to non-disclosure I cannot discuss questions, but it is already known that these group interviews split candidates into groups of 3, and allow them to each work on a portion of a problem. You are given a laptop, and a choice of languages, and several hours (roughly from 9:30am to 4:30pm) to provide the code for the solution.

During that time there were several interviewers who took us aside to ask us how we were solving the problem, first as a group, then as individuals. This part was closer to a standard interview: discuss the problem, things you fix, things you fail to fix, further work.

There was a tour in the morning, and a Q&A with employees at the end of the day.

Received an offer a few days later. Had 2 weeks to decide. Was given a choice of groups within the company to join.

Interview Questions
    • Non-disclosure Agreement covers these questions.

Recommendation: fully outline your plan in comments before writing code. If you do not finish, or your code does not work correctly, there will be a record of what you intended.

Standard review of algorithms and data structures is good, but also practice writing, running, and testing code.
        Answer Question
    I am a recent graduate, so I did not have leverage to negotiate, but am content with my offer.

Software Developer Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Applied in university career services, two 45-min interviews on campus.
    Generally not hard.

Software Developer Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

2 interviews 45 mins each

Interview Questions
    • find all possible combinations to get a particular sum from an array   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Online assesement
    1)Code to merge a 2 sorted linked lists
    2)find the duplicates in an array
    3)Given a 2d matrix print the path with the maximum score form 00 to m*n

Interview Questions
    • Online assesement
      1)Code to merge a 2 sorted linked lists
      2)find the duplicates in an array
      3)Given a 2d matrix print the path with the maximum score form 00 to m*n
        Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Amazon.com in December 2013.

It was not a normal interview process. This interview was different from the normal ones, it was based on full day project.
    In this project recruiters will form a team of 3 or less and they will assign a project which will consist of three parts.
    By the EOD you will have to complete all the three modules of the project. While you are working on the project, they will have 30-40min interview with you, where they will ask you questions about the given project like how and what will you implement? and why this module? Data structures and details about it.

Interview Questions
    • It was question related to a project we were working on.   Answer Question

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!