Amazon.com

Updated Oct 16, 2014

3.4

135 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Developer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2011.

I was contacted by a recruiter and only had my phone interview 2 weeks later. I had to reschedule my interview, because they flaked on the first. The low life recruiters they hired there are very unresponsive and impossible to get a hold of.

First off, if you were contacted by the recruiter like I was, this is called fishing. These guys are fishing for the brightest minds in the country. Be prepared to answer some impossible questions. My uncle is a senior software engineer at Oracle, and even he laughed at some of the questions that were posted here on this website as interview questions. Basically, don't feel bad if don't pass the interview process. Amazon.com isn't what its cracked up to be. Besides, if you somehow squeak by the interviews and get hired, are you really going to be happy competing with Joe Blow, who codes for fun at home?

Get a life JOE!

Okay on to the questions:

These guys love the following topics: Binary Trees and Binary Search Trees, Searching Algorithms (Quick, Bubble, Merge, etc...), Hash Tables, Strings, and Algorithm Complexity. Know the differences between Java and C++. If you know the following topics inside and out, you should be golden. Just don't tell them your a crazy psychopath looking for your next victim and you should get that cube next to Joe. =)

Good luck.

If you haven't already looked for jobs at Intel, I suggest you do. Believe it or not, Intel does software too. I did an internship there over the summer. Awesome place to work. They don't put you through the ringer like these communists at Amazon.com do.

Interview Questions
  • Cure world hunger.   View Answers (39)
  • Invent a car that doesn't run out of gas.   Answer Question
  • Calculate the trajectory of a satellite destined for asynchronous orbit if it was launched from Kennedy Space Center and its velocity and acceleration were proportional to the Bull S&*^ those first 2 questions were all about!   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Software Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in October 2011.

I received mail from a recruiter that my resume has been shortlisted from Monster.com. I had 4 back to back interviews in Seattle

Interview Questions
    • What is cache. What data structures would you use for it. Replacement techniques   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in May 2012.

This was an initial scrreening interview. Contacted by the recruiter and asked to code something, given 1 hour to complete.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to code up a general regex match function which accepted "*" and "." are the matching filters.

They provided a long list of test cases for you algorithm to pass, unfortunately they list a whole bunch that would pass a ad-hoc implementation. This leads you to a poor implementation if you fix the code as successive test cases break!

Has I paid attention to the last few at the end of the list, I would not have run out of time to come up with an elegant solution.

View Answer

Software Developer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in May 2014.

I applied through a friend whose team was hiring in Seattle Area. They called me up and we had a brief chat about setting up the interview.

Once the interview was setup I got a call from them on a Friday and the interview process lasted 30 minutes. Yes 30 minutes, it was that bad.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

Interviewed for a software developer position for Amazon Global Payments. The interview lasted about 90 minutes where I was asked questions on data structures, CS fundamentals, basic algorithm knowledge and asked to solve a coding problem using Collabedit (online whiteboard). Did some research before the interview and answered the questions easily. Had trouble with the coding problem but seemed to complete it okay.

Interview Questions
    • Asked to break up a string with no spaces into valid words ie. "itwasthebestoftimes" should be processed to read as "it was the best of times".   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in April 2014.

Went quickly after submitting a resume. The phone interview was the toughest of those I've had, covered the broadest range of questions instead of one problem in detail. Shared document for part of that. It went well and an onsite interview was scheduled very quickly afterward. It was the one dog-friendly office I visited, which would've been nice :)

Interview Questions
    • NDA covers exact questions. Coding on a whiteboard, both design and algorithm coding questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2013.

I applied on their website as per usual. Nothing exceptional about my cover letter -- it wasn't personalized at all. I have quite a bit of work experience and was well qualified for the position.

The interviewer himself seemed extremely shy and inexperienced. He was a nice guy, but he didn't do a good job of selling me on the position (even though I knew the position itself was a good one).

Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com.

2 technical interviews . 1st round was tough with algorithms and time complexity questions. second was a better with brain teasers and simple questions ... you will be made to write code on the white board

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Amazon.com in December 2013.

It was not a normal interview process. This interview was different from the normal ones, it was based on full day project.
    In this project recruiters will form a team of 3 or less and they will assign a project which will consist of three parts.
    By the EOD you will have to complete all the three modules of the project. While you are working on the project, they will have 30-40min interview with you, where they will ask you questions about the given project like how and what will you implement? and why this module? Data structures and details about it.

Interview Questions
    • It was question related to a project we were working on.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

2 interviews 45 mins each

Interview Questions
    • find all possible combinations to get a particular sum from an array   Answer Question