Amazon.com

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
129 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Software Developer

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2011.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter and only had my phone interview 2 weeks later. I had to reschedule my interview, because they flaked on the first. The low life recruiters they hired there are very unresponsive and impossible to get a hold of.

First off, if you were contacted by the recruiter like I was, this is called fishing. These guys are fishing for the brightest minds in the country. Be prepared to answer some impossible questions. My uncle is a senior software engineer at Oracle, and even he laughed at some of the questions that were posted here on this website as interview questions. Basically, don't feel bad if don't pass the interview process. Amazon.com isn't what its cracked up to be. Besides, if you somehow squeak by the interviews and get hired, are you really going to be happy competing with Joe Blow, who codes for fun at home?

Get a life JOE!

Okay on to the questions:

These guys love the following topics: Binary Trees and Binary Search Trees, Searching Algorithms (Quick, Bubble, Merge, etc...), Hash Tables, Strings, and Algorithm Complexity. Know the differences between Java and C++. If you know the following topics inside and out, you should be golden. Just don't tell them your a crazy psychopath looking for your next victim and you should get that cube next to Joe. =)

Good luck.

If you haven't already looked for jobs at Intel, I suggest you do. Believe it or not, Intel does software too. I did an internship there over the summer. Awesome place to work. They don't put you through the ringer like these communists at Amazon.com do.

Interview Questions

• Cure world hunger.   View Answers (39)
  • Invent a car that doesn't run out of gas.   Answer Question
  • Calculate the trajectory of a satellite destined for asynchronous orbit if it was launched from Kennedy Space Center and its velocity and acceleration were proportional to the Bull S&*^ those first 2 questions were all about!   Answer Question

Software Developer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2011.

Interview Details – I received mail from a recruiter that my resume has been shortlisted from Monster.com. I had 4 back to back interviews in Seattle

Interview Question – What is cache. What data structures would you use for it. Replacement techniques   Answer Question

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in May 2012.

Interview Details – This was an initial scrreening interview. Contacted by the recruiter and asked to code something, given 1 hour to complete.

Interview Question – I was asked to code up a general regex match function which accepted "*" and "." are the matching filters.

They provided a long list of test cases for you algorithm to pass, unfortunately they list a whole bunch that would pass a ad-hoc implementation. This leads you to a poor implementation if you fix the code as successive test cases break!

Has I paid attention to the last few at the end of the list, I would not have run out of time to come up with an elegant solution.
  View Answer

Software Developer

The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2012.

Interview Details – Was asked multiple simple questions and 2 other questions to code in detail. Had to make sure that each and every line was correct.

Interview Questions

• Implement a LRU Cache. Code in full.   Answer Question
  • Hard Copy a Node with a possible left and right node. Consider all possible cases   View Answer

Software Developer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2012.

Interview Details – Got this call from a recruiter. Initially 2 rounds of telephonic interviews. Questions were based on DS and Algorithms of average difficulty. After that they called for face to face 1:1 interviews. They arranged the travelling and accommodation. There I had 4 round of 1:1 interviews.

Interview Questions

• How will you save a spreadsheet like file on a hard drive? Catch was that file can have many rows and many columns, many can be vacant. Each cell can have data of varying size.   Answer Question
  • Implement a LRU cache   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2011.

Interview Details – Three phone interviews before I accepted a position with another company. The interviews involved answering rapid fire technical questions regarding algorithms, data structures and test strategies. During this process, I had several interviews with another large company and was offered a position, which I accepted. Questions included when would someone use an abstract or virtual class, how would you test a web page where users would input payment information, questions around object oriented programming (polymorphism, inheritance etc). The position sounded very interesting and I have friends working at Amazon who love it there. However the phone screening process was a bit drawn out and the questions asked were textbook in nature and didn't hone in on my depth of experience.

Interview Question – When would you use an interface, a abstract class, a virtual class.   View Answer

Chennai (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in August 2011.

Interview Details – good

Software Developer

I interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2012.

Interview Details – 1 coding test, 2 phone interview

Interview Question – questions about algorithms and data structures, allof them already here   Answer Question

Allahabad (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2012.

Interview Details – first round mcq of quant, os, data structures, 2 coding questions
interviews - algorithms, operating systems, data structures checking your in depth knowledge

Interview Question – algorithm of finding median of stream of numbers   Answer Question

Software Developer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – Standard tech interview, just review on data structures and algorithm.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Amazon.com

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!

Amazon.com Videos

Amazon.com – Why Work for Us?

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amazon.com Software Developer interview questions and advice. All 129 interview reviews posted anonymously by Amazon.com employees and interview candidates.