Amazon.com Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Oct 16, 2014

3.4

135 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in December 2013.

I had 2 interview calls, they were not very hard. They were both phone interviews. If you get a Kindle interview you will have it easy. The AV team also need people. The supply chain side is what I got accepted into and the people there are very smart and work really hard. You will be in good hands.

Interview Questions
  • I had a dynamic programming problem that was not too hard   Answer Question
Nothing for an internship. DO NOT TAKE THE CORP HOUSING. You can do much better finding an apartment on your own. Wash U's classes don't end when school is starting but you can use padmapper just before the internship to get a good place for cheap!

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Software Development Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

I applied online and then again at my university's career fair. They took about a week and a half to get back t me. Two 45 minute phone interviews, each purely technical. Each person asked about three quick OOP questions and then a couple of coding exercises.

Interview Questions
    • Find all the phone numbers on a page with a single command   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

The phone interview took almost an hour. The interviewer first asked some personal questions about why you choose Amazon etc. Then he asked some questions related to my previous experience. Then followed by a technical question that cost more than half an hour.

Interview Questions
    • Traverse a binary tree and print them by levels.   View Answer
    This is just a first level interview. There is a second one.

Software Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Through a friend's recommendation I was able to secure an interview for the position. Unfortunately they gave me only a day's notice to prepare for the interview, which made things a bit more stressful. I had two 45 minute technical interviews, back to back, with each interviewer asking several technical questions over the course of the interview. There was nothing unexpected, as many of the questions they asked were available on this site as well as others.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult may have been things regarding design patterns, mostly because I had not previously studied them in class and could not describe any.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in May 2014.

I applied through a friend whose team was hiring in Seattle Area. They called me up and we had a brief chat about setting up the interview.

Once the interview was setup I got a call from them on a Friday and the interview process lasted 30 minutes. Yes 30 minutes, it was that bad.

Telephone Interview
    - Asked about basic hashmap, linkedlists, arraylists, OOP questions (15 minutes)
    - Program how to return the sorted list given 2 unsorted lists(1 hr.)
    - Program how to return the inorder traversal of the tree given a preorder string (1 hr).

Software Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Received an email from recruiter to set up time of interview. An hour long phone interview recommended to not be driving and make sure your phone has enough charge for long interview. Two developers on the call. Asked about previous experience, basic object oriented programming questions followed by online programming test.

Interview Questions
    • Give the Big-O for the given data structures and their usages in particular scenarios.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in April 2014.

Went quickly after submitting a resume. The phone interview was the toughest of those I've had, covered the broadest range of questions instead of one problem in detail. Shared document for part of that. It went well and an onsite interview was scheduled very quickly afterward. It was the one dog-friendly office I visited, which would've been nice :)

Interview Questions
    • NDA covers exact questions. Coding on a whiteboard, both design and algorithm coding questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

Interviewed for a software developer position for Amazon Global Payments. The interview lasted about 90 minutes where I was asked questions on data structures, CS fundamentals, basic algorithm knowledge and asked to solve a coding problem using Collabedit (online whiteboard). Did some research before the interview and answered the questions easily. Had trouble with the coding problem but seemed to complete it okay.

Interview Questions
    • Asked to break up a string with no spaces into valid words ie. "itwasthebestoftimes" should be processed to read as "it was the best of times".   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

First,they asked my about my preferred language then i was asked all the technical question and in later they asked me more about the projects I have done. Then at the end they asked me whether I had any question for them. The question was like :
    1)what is a BST? given an example then was asked is this a BSt?
    2) write the code for find whether the tree is BST or not?
    3)time complexity of your algorithm
    4)write your atoi function with two parameter as base and number.

Interview Questions
    • All the question were basic coding question. They asked me to the implete a simpler version of a mine sweeper game.   Answer Question