Amazon.com

Getting the Interview

127 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Developer

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – 2 technical interviews . 1st round was tough with algorithms and time complexity questions. second was a better with brain teasers and simple questions ... you will be made to write code on the white board

Interview Question – Sorting in linear time   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online - interviewed at Amazon.com in December 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and passed online assessment, then went to onsite in Seattle.

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in November 2013.

Interview Details – One online assessment. Simple questions, short code needed.

Then an onsite interview consisting of 4 rounds. All basic algorithms, implementations, concepts and design questions.

Interview Question – Nothing special, all basic and expected questions.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details – On campus, failed in the first round. The question includes,1.write a simple hash table, 2. copy a graph to another one.

Interview Question – Nothing actually, I answered both of the questions, but still I didn't make it to the second round.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2013.

Interview Details – I applied on their website as per usual. Nothing exceptional about my cover letter -- it wasn't personalized at all. I have quite a bit of work experience and was well qualified for the position.

The interviewer himself seemed extremely shy and inexperienced. He was a nice guy, but he didn't do a good job of selling me on the position (even though I knew the position itself was a good one).

Interview Question – Find if a binary tree is a mirror image   View Answers (2)

Software Developer

I applied online and interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – 2 phone rounds and then on site interview .
On site interview was 5-6 hrs with 5 different people

Interview Question – Find all valid English language words in a give matrix by traversing horizontally, vertically or diagonally   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online through their website and after about 6 months was contacted and invited to take an online code evaluation. This consisted of 3 coding implementations as well as the Big-O efficiency of each. The evaluation must be completed in 90 minutes. I felt like I did great on these, but a few days later, I received an email that said I did not make it to the next round.

Interview Question – Efficient way to find a loop in a linked list.   View Answer

Software Developer

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – Tough phone screens. Focus on problem solving and basic data structures, algorithmic concepts. Recruiters correspond well. Are open to a lot you a field of your interest to work in.

Interview Question – Questions regarding double hash tables   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – Applied online and was contacted three months later by email with a link to a timed programming assessment. There were three problems to complete in 90 minutes. After completing the assessment, I was contacted again by email with an invitation to an onsite interview in Seattle. The onsite interview was completely technical with 4 interviewers, 40 minutes each.

Interview Question – Technical questions were all as expected, I had to write code to perform certain operations like find the nth fibonacci number, the largest product of any three numbers in a list, etc. After writing each solution I was asked to analyze the time complexity and improve my solution.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Software Developer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2013.

Interview Details – My second phone interview was scheduled last week with a Amazon engineer who was a Indian guy. He joined and bit late and he started interview with some information about his team and work they do etc. Then some formal questions like tell me about yourself, biggest challenge you faced during project and how you solved it and some questions regarding the few projects on my resume like how you improved the efficiency etc. for about 10 mins.

Then he started with very simple technical questions like what’s hashtable, tree, binary search tree and difference between them. Then few simple BST questions like how to determine if it’s a BST, how to search in BST etc. Then I was asked to write code for merging two BST’s in to one balanced binary tree. My crude solution was to do in-order on both trees and get two sorted arrays, merge the both arrays in to a bigger array and build a new balanced tree recursively form that array. He liked the solution and asked me to write code. Unfortunately the line got disconnected from his end and he called me back after 5-10 mins again. There was lots of noise in the back, looks like either there was fire drill or some function. He hurriedly asked me few questions and asked me to email the solution and asked me if I have any questions. It was clear that he was not at all in mood for answering any questions. After a week the recruiter thanked me for my time.

I have great respect for Amazon and what they are doing and may be this was a isolated incident but at the end I lost one opportunity to work with a great company because of a bad interviewer.

Interview Question – All the questions were very very easy   Answer Question