Amazon.com

Average Difficulty
12 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in December 2013.

Interview Details – Interviewed through university recruitment program. There were 2 back to back 45 min. phone interviews with 10 min gap between them. Got a call exactly at the scheduled time and ended it exactly after 45 min are over.

Interview Question – Question were not the difficult ones, but the sub-questions asked on them were tricky.
1st interview question: It was scenario based coding question. Asked to code it in whatever language you want. The question was; you are getting number of orders daily, code a program which will minimize the time right from processing to packing and till warehouse shipment. It was something related to Pythagoras theorem. I coded it with some time left and then was asked to optimize it considering time and space complexity.

2nd Interview: There was not a single question. It was regarding hash tables, sorting and searching, picklists and their time n space complexities. Tried to answer them.
  Answer Question

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details – Got an email from a recruiter about 5 months after applying online asking to schedule two 45 minute phone interviews. They were right after each other and both of the interviewers were really nice. The recruiter was REALLY bad at getting back to me though so I couldn't reschedule my interviews in time.

Interview Question – Write a recursive in order search of a BST   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Interview Details – Pretty neat and quick. Took two back to back interviews each of 45 minutes and that's it. Problem solving and then code those solutions. System design question. Unit test scenarios.

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details – I talked to one of Amazon's hiring manager at the university career fair, and then submitted my resume on Amazon's website, then I received one email notifying me of the date of phone interview. There are in total two consecutive phone calls, after that they start evaluating you and will notify you their hiring decision in a few weeks.

Interview Question – How to validate binary search tree?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Intern

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in December 2013.

Interview Details – There were two 45-minute over the phone interview. Both were done with 2 people. In other words, you had the chance to talk to 4 people. The process took about 3 months. I actually didn't apply online, I submitted a resume at the Grace Hopper conference in October and got an email in December with interview details. Heard back 2 weeks after the interview. Make sure you know basic data structures and be prepared to answer runtime analysis along the way as well.

Interview Questions

• First interview: Given a node in a binary search tree, find its successor (the next highest number). Assume that each node has a parent pointer.   View Answer
  • Second Interview: Write a function that takes an integer and returns true if the integer is a palindrome and false otherwise   View Answer
  • Second Interview: Write a function that takes a binary search tree and returns an array with the in-order permutation of the tree.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Internship position wasn't in a spot to negotiate.

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details – 2 45mins phone interviews. First write the codes, and then read the code to the person. The questions are regular algorithms and coding skills. There are also some basic knowledges, such as data structure. Then I waited for about 2 weeks to get their response.

Interview Question – Questions are quite regular.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in May 2013.

Interview Details – I applied using their electronic system and few weeks later I was contacted by a recruiter. We set a phone interview couple of weeks later. First was a technical interview and it was quite difficult to understand the accent of the Engineer. The second, with a different engineer, was an interview more focused in theory questions.

Interview Question – I'm still waiting feedback.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online through the college portal. A lot of people were called for an on campus interview. There were two 45 min rounds present one following the other. The first interviewer asked a lot of technical questions about operating systems and then some programming questions on binary trees. The second round was even harder with just one question which took almost the entire time to understand and comprehend. The interviewer also wasted a lot of time talking about unrelated stuff.

Interview Question – Zig Zag tree traversal, create something similar to your t9 dictionary.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Intern

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – Talked to two interviewers, each asked me a basic question about object oriented programming and scripting. I spent about 45 minutes with each interviewer. They were both nice and polite.

Interview Question – No unexpected questions   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Interview Details – I got the interview from a college career fair here at Cornell in March. I was approached by a recruiter a week later and then scheduled my interviews. They were two phone interviews 45 mins each with two engineers. First one went smooth, mostly about object-oriented design. I used Java for this one. The second one was more algorithmic. I didn't solve it with the optimal complexity but he said it was good enough. For this one I used C++. Two weeks later I got a reply with an offer!

Interview Question – Classic interview question about matrixes sorted row and column wise.   Answer Question

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!