Amazon.com Software Development Engineer I Intern Interview Questions

Updated Sep 14, 2014

3.2

22 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Development Engineer I Intern Interview

First there are several questions about concept in algorithm, and then two coding questions. There were two questions, both are from leetcode, similar as Path Sum and Path Sum II.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Software Development Engineer I Intern Interview

Submit the resume online and got an email about the phone screen next day. Do not have enough time to prepare. One question is not expected but the second call has the easy questions. The second interviewer is very nice. Questions like print odd and even number. Find duplicate number in an array. Wait for two weeks or more and no reply from Amazon. I sent an email about the interview then got rejected.

Interview Questions
    • Write the function to decide if two dates are within 30 days or more.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Intern Interview

Two phone interviews back to back. First interviewer asked about one of my projects and the second asked various data structure questions and asked me to code whether a binary tree is a valid binary search tree.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were not tricky. They were very helpful and guided me through the problems.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Intern Interview

Applied on their website. Was later emailed by a recruiter in order to set up a time for my phone interviews. The interviews consisted of 2 45 min phone interviews. Both interviews consisted of the interviewer introducing themselves, then coding question, and finally 5 minutes to ask questions. 2 weeks after the interview I was contacted and offered the internship.

Software Development Engineer I Intern Interview

collected resume at career fair; technical interview by 2 people lasting 45 minutes each. Was asked both aero/astro questions and software design questions. People were very relaxed and understanding but not afraid to call out a wrong answer

Software Development Engineer I Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

The interview process went by rather quickly. I submitted an application and I heard back within a week about setting up two 45-minute phone interviews that would be technical in nature. During the first interview, I was asked to write a few small programs. For example, one of the programs I was asked to write was a simple java program that would take in a base integer and an exponent and would calculate the exponentiation.The interviewer was greatly interested in how and where I could improve my initial write-up of the program to handle edge cases and non-standard inputs.

Interview Questions
    • I was really taken off guard by the depth of which my last interviewer went into with questions related to algorithms. The questions seemed to be less about design and best practices and more about theory. Needless to say I wasn't prepared and this part didn't go so well.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Amazon.com.

The recruiters came to my campus, and everyone had to talk to two different person(they are in different groups). The first person asked two questions, the second one wanted to ask 3 questions but the time limited.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in December 2013.

Interviewed through university recruitment program. There were 2 back to back 45 min. phone interviews with 10 min gap between them. Got a call exactly at the scheduled time and ended it exactly after 45 min are over.

Interview Questions
    • Question were not the difficult ones, but the sub-questions asked on them were tricky.
      1st interview question: It was scenario based coding question. Asked to code it in whatever language you want. The question was; you are getting number of orders daily, code a program which will minimize the time right from processing to packing and till warehouse shipment. It was something related to Pythagoras theorem. I coded it with some time left and then was asked to optimize it considering time and space complexity.

2nd Interview: There was not a single question. It was regarding hash tables, sorting and searching, picklists and their time n space complexities. Tried to answer them.
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Pretty neat and quick. Took two back to back interviews each of 45 minutes and that's it. Problem solving and then code those solutions. System design question. Unit test scenarios.

Software Development Engineer I Intern Interview

Got an email from a recruiter about 5 months after applying online asking to schedule two 45 minute phone interviews. They were right after each other and both of the interviewers were really nice. The recruiter was REALLY bad at getting back to me though so I couldn't reschedule my interviews in time.

Interview Questions

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!