Amazon.com

Average Difficulty
68 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Amazon.com in May 2012.

Interview Details – Was contacted by a recruiter after an on-campus event. The interview process consisted of 2 phone interviews. Both interviews focused on basic knowledge of algorithms / data structures and some problem solving.

Interview Question – You have an MxN matrix and a robot trying to go from top-left to bottom-right.. Write a program that calculates the shortest path from top-left to bottom-right that does not go through a negative value. The robot can only move "down" and "left".   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Non-negotioable. It seems like the whole industry has this convention that offers are non-negotiable. I would encourage you to be brave and try to negotiate anyway. If they are not willing to negotiate, then they don't deserve you.

Buffalo, NY

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online September 2013, and go the email for the online assignment after about three weeks. Since it was my first real interview, I was really nervous, I finished the problems as required, and I believe the answers were correct, however, since lack of previous interviewing experience, I failed it.

Interview Question – Standard and simple questions, no tricks.   View Answer

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online and then quite a while later (1-2 months) I got an email inviting me to come to Seattle for an on-site interview. There was no phone interview or anything like that. The day of the interview, all the candidates were split into groups of 3 and we were given a problem to complete, which was very clearly separated into 3 parts. All of the parts involved some sort of minimization problem and one of them, the one I chose, involved making predictions based on historical data and then minimizing costs based on the prediction. I got the impression that they kind of wanted us to work together but the problems weren't too related to each other and they said that we were not supposed to do any pair programming so that didn't really happen. We just worked on our problems and then periodically had short meetings with Amazon engineers to talk about our progress (I think there were 3 of these throughout the day). At the end, we submitted our code and then had a short info session with some more engineers and that was it.

Overall, it was a pretty good way to do interviews, I think. Definitely gave them a lot more info about my skills than most interviews do.

Reason for Declining – Overall, I got the impression that Amazon was just too corporate and too big, not in a good way. They also seem a little old fashioned and they don't provide a lot of the perks that other companies do (e.g. no food). I got another offer from another company that seemed like a better fit for me so I took that in the end.

Software Development Engineer I

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – Got a phone interview with Amazon through a recruiter for their AWS team. first 15 minutes are pretty standard background questions like what challenges or what you learned through previous projects and experience. Then followed by two coding questions:
1. Given an int array and a target number, print out all pairs in the array that add up to the target number
2. Find the first common ancestor in BST by the given value

Interview Question – Nothing really unexpected, standard questions around your coding solution, what's the runtime, how would you improve the solution.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – It was a group interview that took place at their Seattle campus, together with around 25 other interviewees.

Breakdown:
- 8am-9am: A quick tour around campus, meet and greet
- 9am: Sat in a big room with 3 interviewers, Had breakfast, Broken up into small groups to work on a problem
- 10am-5pm: Coding, lunch, and 2 short one-on-one interviews in between
- 5pm-6pm: Wrap-up, Q&A with Amazon employees

Provided/To Reimburse:
- Accommodation (2 nights)
- Basic allowance ($65 on food per day etc...)
- Transit (Round-trip to Seattle, and taxi within Seattle)

Interview Question – Base on the code that you've written so far, what can you add or modify to improve it?   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2014.

Interview Details – I sent my resume to a campus recruiter and received a group interview invitation a month later. Had an one-hour long campus tour in the beginning and the interview took up the rest of the day. Each group has three members, each works on one part of the problem and you need to figure out division of tasks. Each task is independent and you can choose you language.

Interview Question – "Why do you use THIS_DATA_STRUCTURE?"   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Interview Details – I ask my friend to refer me. The recruiter contact me like 2 weeks later. They send me a link which is an online assessment. As you know, there are 3 problems and they are very easy to solve. I actually run my code using leetcode and pass all of the cases. However, I failed. My friend told me it's possibly because I don't write a good explanation beside my code.

Interview Question – Not hard.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Interview Details – Contacted by University Recruiter. Sent to Seattle offices for their group interviews. The questions were not too hard, but it is important to start with a simple working solution and then iterate to a more complicated solution due to the time constraints.

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Interview Details – I submitted the resume on the Amazon Career website and received a email about an untraditional group interview event about ten days later. And after I confirmed the date I received flights and hotel reservation in two days.

On the interview day I came to the Amazon campus and was shown around the campus before the interview started. Then we were divided into group of 3 people and given a project. We needed to discuss on which part each of us would choose and after that we were about to work on our own part. We were free to choose any programming language we like. According to the Non-Disclosure Agreement I would not reveal what the project was about, but it was challenging and really practical. During the coding process we were called out twice for individual interviews, which were about the progress of your project. The interviewers were very friendly and I did not feel as stressed as normal interviews. One thing I need to mention is that the group interviews are only for students.

The interview was on Friday and after some negotiation I received the official offer letter on Tuesday, and the offer was really nice. I really enjoyed the whole interview process. And if you are a good coder, this kind of interview will definitely be a great chance for you.

Interview Question – All questions I was asked about was about the project.   View Answer

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and got a phone screening which is pretty straight forward interview questions about data structures. Later called me for on-site interview which is a bit hard and focuses more on Algorithms and playing around with linked lists, Strings and queues. They asked me to write code in C++ for Poker Game

Interview Question – Writing a Poker game during the on-site interview which is quite efficient in terms of memory and speed   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Got an offer from another company i.e; Linkedin

Interviews for Top Jobs at Amazon.com

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!

Amazon.com Videos

Amazon.com – Why Work for Us?

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amazon.com Software Development Engineer I interview questions and advice. All 68 interview reviews posted anonymously by Amazon.com employees and interview candidates.