Amazon.com Software Development Engineer I Interview Questions

Updated Aug 29, 2015

3.3

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Interview

I had an initial phone interview with a recruiter. I then had a coding interview via hackerrank.com. I had a third interview with the actual team leader of the software development team which included more coding.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me of a time you had to hand over a project? How long did it take.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in August 2015.

Interview

First round was a online interview with some technical questions, logical questions and behaviour questions. After first round, I got a on-site interview opportunity, but they paused the process since all positions were filled. Few months later, they asked me if I would like to continue to do on-site interview and I went to Seattle for a one-day interview. On-site interview will have 2-3 people in a team to solve a "real" problem. There were about 8 teams in one big open room. The problem broke down in 3 parts, each member was assigned one part to solve it. Team members can help each others (discussion), but they must code by themselves. Unlike some other companies, you don't need to code in a whiteboard. Each candidate is assigned a laptop to code in actual environment (e.g. Eclipse). Also the Internet is open so you can Google:). Candidates have about 5 hours (I can't remember exact number) to solve that one sub-problem. While coding, there are two one-on-one interview with interviewers. One is about 30 minutes and the other one is about 15 minutes. During 1:1 interview, interviewer will ask about your solutions, thoughts and even more open-ended questions. Also they will look at your code to give you some help (like directions), but they don't assess your code at that time (code assessment will happen after submit the code). Some advices, some questions may easier than others. I think my part is the hardest one (the last part), and I didn't finish the complete solution, but only had a very basic version. So don't think 5 hours for one question is enough. Interviewer always said go with a simple solution first and optimize it, which is true. If you don't have time to finish all your code, write skeleton methods with comments, so interviewer can understand you are on the right track.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA).

Interview

My interview experience was unusual. I was put into a group with two other candidates, and we were given 6 hours to complete a programming task. We each had a one-on-one chat with one of the interviewers, but it only lasted around 15 minutes (the main purpose was to for the interviewer to understand who was responsible for each part of the code we wrote). At the end of the session, the interviewers collected our code. This code, the 15-minute chat, and any observations of our problem-solving skills, appeared to be the only takeaways for the company to base its decision on.

Interview Questions

• The interviewers provided a few input files that represented a contrived inventory picture across a number of warehouses. Our task was to write a program that determined which items needed to be restocked.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

5 interviewer, each 45 minutes. ALG and data structure. they asked some ios design questions. A compilation of all the behavioral questions on this website. 1. Tell me about yourself 2. Strengths 3. Weaknesses 4. Why Amazon? 5. How can you translate your skills towards Amazon? 6. What experiences do you have that separate you from the rest? Groups/ Leadership 1. Tell me about a time when you were leading a group, were assigned a goal, and did not reach it

Interview Questions

• Design and implement a data structure for Least Recently Used (LRU) cache. It should support the following operations: get and set. get(key) - Get the value (will always be positive) of the key if the key exists in the cache, otherwise return -1. set(key, value) - Set or insert the value if the key is not already present. When the cache reached its capacity, it should invalidate the least recently used item before inserting a new item.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Orlando, FL) in June 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter first through email. After a phone call with the recruiter, he put me in touch with Amazon's recruiting department. Through them, I set up an hour long phone interview.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about my background as well as a few technical questions. One technical question related to binary trees that had to be solved using CodePair. A quick question related to scalability. Finally, I was given a few minutes to ask the interviewer some questions. I asked about Amazon's culture and what it was like to work for them, and asked a little bit about the consumables division.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

I ran through 2 phone interviews, was referred to a different department, then had a third interview. I was brought on site for 5 in person interviews. All but one of the interviews was technical, while the non technical interview focused on personality and problem solving in a technical context.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a problem that you could have fixed quickly but poorly that you instead chose to fix correctly but at the cost of missing a deadline.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Detroit, MI) in May 2015.

Interview

The process began with a short phone screening. The next step was to complete an online coding test. The questions were timed and required the use of the provided web based IDE. After this step, there was a technical phone interview. After this, the big in person interview. This consisted of 4 different 1 on 1 interviews. Each interview involved writing code on a white board.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Started off with a referral from a friend working at Amazon. A few days later, I was given a short phone screen and then an online assessment with some coding and some personality questions. A week after that, my recruiter reached out and asked for dates that I was available for an onsite. The booking company took care of hotel and airfare. Onsite, I waited with a group of other interviewees and we were all given lunch and then went into separate rooms for individual interviews. There were 3-4 interviewers who asked about what I've done and then asked a technical interview question. The interviewers are helpful and they want you to succeed as well.

Interview Questions

• Graph traversal, linked lists, other stuff from Cracking the Coding Interview   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon.com (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

They contacted me through email and asked if I'm interested in new opportunities. Immediately, I responded back and within couple of hours they scheduled my first phone screen technical interview which is a week away. The interview started with asking about me and "Why amazon" questions. Little bit of difference between data structure questions and Object oriented design questions. Finally we started the coding part. I was little bit nervous about live coding which I have not done before. Coding in notepad helps a lot for interview preparation. The questions are not difficult at all. Very easy questions, anyone who has taken programming 101 can crack it easily. One mistake I did in coding was, I didn't take care of all test cases and only focused on happy path.

Interview Questions

• Count the number of words in a string without using any libraries or splitting the sentence or using regular expressions.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

Was contacted by recruiter to apply for position. Initial interview was an online coding and skill/personality assessment. I was invited the following week to an in-person group interview session which was focused on coding. Overall, nothing was too challenging and ample time was provided, but some careless mistakes cost me on the coding parts.

Interview Questions

• I can't go into specifics, but I thought the first part of the interview wasn't too hard. Tip for coding: go for the simplest solution. As for the skill assessment, GRE quantitative reasoning tests will help, but I thought that enough time was given that you don't really need to prepare for a speed test. I would recommend just writing whatever programs you would normally for fun for the in-person interview. As long as you're comfortable in one of the common languages, it's not too bad.   Answer Question