Amazon.com

Updated Jan 22, 2015

3.3

105 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Development Engineer I Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Amazon.com.

So far I have done online assesment. In online assesment, there were two simple programming questions, 45 minutes each. Then there is a multiple choice questions, which were not very easy not very hard.

Interview Questions
  • Multiple choice questions were slightly unexpected for a conding job   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Software Development Engineer I Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I applied online from Amazon.com and got a phone interview by hiring manager within one week. He asked a few tech problems which use hash and large scale. I wasn't prepare enough so failed. It is not hard actually

Software Development Engineer I Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2015.

Applied online. One month later, got the onilne assessment appointment. A week later, got on site interview request. You may will get each email replied by recruiter in a week till this step. They will take care of the travel and hotel based on your requirement. Arrived at Day 1 North at 11:40, at about 12, a group of people like me ate pizza with interviewers. You may meet them later in the interview. Then is the 4 round 45 min back-to-back interview. Staff there were nice. After coding, it was the behavior questions.

Software Development Engineer I Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2015.

First interview was a technical phone screen. No NDA so I can discuss. Asked to discuss linked lists vs arrays, binary search tree. how to add an item, etc, advantages of one over the other. performance, big O, etc. Finally was asked to write code to check if a tree was a binary search tree

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Applied online and was given an online assessment. I was given a one week window to complete the online assessment that took about 2 hours. Overall it was a good experience.

Software Development Engineer I Interview

I submitted my resume at my university's career fair and got interviewed on campus. The interviewee was from the core team: customer management and the overall atmosphere is quite pleasant.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in November 2014.

I applied through a referral 6 months ago and didn't hear anything, which disappointed me. Recently that same friend inquired if I was still interested and I gave it a shot -- this time he followed up with the recruiter and I was contact within a week.

The recruiter was helpful and thought I would be a good fit for the team. He wanted to get me into the on-site interviews occurring in 2 weeks so he set me up with a phone interview two days later.

The phone interview was with an engineer and involved two technical questions using an online code editor. One question was about data structures, and the other was object-oriented / system design. It was a good experience and the interviewer was pleasant and helpful.

I felt pretty good about the interview but felt I could have used more time on the second question (only had about 10 minutes left). The recruiter followed up and said that they wanted me for an on-site interview, which I was pleased with.

The on-site interview was about 3 and a half hours with 4 different people. Each asked me a technical question and some behavioral questions. One question involved object-oriented design. The other questions involved algorithms, two touching on specific data structures. Each of these technical questions had follow up questions regarding optimization, trade-offs, and alternate solutions.

The interview process was long and taxing, but overall a good experience. All interviewers were pleasant to talk with and helpful in both discussions about the problems and answering my questions about the team. Again, though, time was tight!

Overall the entire process this time around was interesting, fun, and especially challenging.

Interview Questions
    • Due to NDA I don't think I can share the details of the question, but the most challenging and interesting question involved an algorithm over a grid of data. The problem itself was challenging, and had a lot of area to explore optimization and good programming practices.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com in November 2014.

Phone screen with recruiter and then on site interview. Met with recruiter on interview day and then had four 45 minute to technical interviews. Whole process took about four hours.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Amazon.com in November 2014.

One round online test and another onsite interview. Base on the really tech they are using on their website. And some algorithm with data structures. OODesign is very important. String and array, queue and stack, linked list and array list. Some self define data structures.

Software Development Engineer I Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in November 2014.

I was first contacted by an Amazon recruiter via LinkedIn. I was kind of hesitant to interview with them, since I had been rejected by them in the past. But I spoke to a manager -- I liked the stuff his team was working on, and I decided to give it another shot.

The first interview was on the phone with this manager. It was behavioral in nature, but still technical. What I mean by this is that the questions all started off as "Tell me about a time when..." and finished with detailed questions about the code behind my solutions. I don't personally think what I said was THAT cool, but I must know how to sell it because I got a request for an online test and onsite interview the next day. The test was actually really hard! Maybe if I was halfway through an undergrad junior level algorithms course, it would have gone easier. But I wasn't. So I did what I could, commented on what I couldn't, and left some notes about how I would approach the problems given more time.

Anyway, on to the on site interview! The interviewers were very nice, they made me feel right at home. I was asked a little bit about what kind of code I worked on at my current job and what working at Amazon would be like. I knew going in that Amazon had a reputation for being a bit of a sweat shop, but going through a bit of a workaholic phase in my life, I didn't really mind.

For the most part, the questions were technical. I was given some questions on trees, graphs, distributed systems, and object oriented design. They were fairly standard questions, with slight twists as followups. Basically they'd give me a standard question and I'd give them a standard answer. Then they'd grin and change the question and make it significantly harder. Then I'd struggle, get nervous, take a deep breath and calm myself, and work through it and get to the correct answer.

Being calm is just as important as having strong technical prowess in these interviews. This was a big challenge for me when I was graduating college. I got interviews from all the big tech companies: Amazon, Microsoft, Apple, Facebook, and Google. And I failed every single one of them even though the the questions were surprisingly doable, because I couldn't control my nerves. I secretly had an anxiety and panic disorder back then, so this was easier said than done.

Interview Questions
    • Very standard questions. Print a family tree. BFS in a graph. Some design questions.   Answer Question
    They made me a hard offer. The base pay was what I expected from Glassdoor. The bonus was five times as much.

I was ecstatic, but I believed I could get more. I told them my current salary and informed them about an upcoming raise, increased cost of living in downtown Seattle, and argued that Amazon expects more work out of employees. They offered me about 5% more base pay, 5% more cash bonus, and a non-standard benefit that I don't wish to discuss here that (to me) was equivalent to an additional 15% per year. I accepted.