Amazon.com Software Development Engineer I Interview Questions

Updated Oct 22, 2014

3.4

84 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Development Engineer I Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I had resume referred through a friend. HR was quick to contact and schedule a phone interview. 2 Phone interviews followed by onsite interview which had 5 rounds of technical interviews. The whole process was very good though quite tiring.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Settle, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Settle, KY

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in October 2014.

Got onsite opportunity, Had 4 back to back interviews, all were standard data structure problem except one bar raiser which was dynamic programming. Did coding on blackboard and later optimized for better complexicity

Software Development Engineer I Interview

I applied online one year ago and maybe one week later, one HR contact me, and asked me if I had got the interview within half year, and I said this is the first time I applied Amazon. Then, he gave me a link and let me answer the three code questions within one and a half hours.

Interview Questions
    • Search a element in a matrix using log(n) time.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I took a test online with 3 coding questions within a 40 minute time frame. print out a program that calculates peoples grades. that's one of them, I don't remember the rest. I got through that and got an email saying they would fly me to Washington!

They flew me down to Washington for an interview set up hotel and pretty much all the accommodations (i.e. food, taxi service), Apparently they have a lot of interviewees according to the taxi drivers. They look for the best of the crop.

I went to the interview the next day. They took me through 5 rounds of interviews. Know your Big O notation, know how to sort through a relational database, algorithms and especially know your data structures( LinkedLists, trees, etc.) I can't remember the rest of the questions specifically...

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Code interview, on site interview. 5 interviews on site, design parking lot, design coffee machine, implement binary tree. Find a route in binary tree that sums to a certain number. Merge 2 binary trees. Heard back 1 day after code interview, 2 days after on site interview. They wanted to fly me to Seattle, I already lived in the area

Software Development Engineer I Interview

interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

It is a online interview and she gave several questions and those question are a little bit hard for me. I tried my best but failed. My suggestion is that before interview, do a lot of work and prepare yourself well.

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Two round phone interviews. Asked very basic questions:
    1. How to sort 3 integers
    2. Find books your friends read
    3. Calculate the frequency of words in a string.

Point is how to approach the problem, use right data structure and algorighms

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

first phone interview with co-edit tool. then on-site, 5 people give question one by one, most not from common problem pool but not very hard to implement if your mind is clear.

Interview Questions
    • can't say the detail, but one DFS question about matrix adjacent numbers max. different interviewer tends to have question that they designed.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I did 4 interviews, all through my university. The interviews were 100% technical -- they were not interested in your standard boilerplate interview questions. I asked more of those during my chance to ask questions at the end.

The first was a broad preliminary screening with an easy question about substrings, and the subsequent 3 were back-to-back-to-back. I strongly recommend Cracking the Coding Interview as a resource. I studied it for these interviews, and although none of the questions were exactly the same (one linked-list question was VERY similar), the overall strategies I learned from that book were helpful for every question.

Interview Questions
    • Given a parking lot of fixed size, made up of a number of rows of spaces, and different vehicle sizes (e.g. car = 1 spot, bike = 1/2 spot, van = 2 spots, bus = 4 spots), develop an algorithm to determine the optimal place to park for any entering vehicle.   View Answers (2)
    I did not negotiate at all, which in retrospect was naive. I recommend at least asking for more.

Software Development Engineer I Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Got a phone interview with Amazon through a recruiter for their AWS team. first 15 minutes are pretty standard background questions like what challenges or what you learned through previous projects and experience. Then followed by two coding questions:
    1. Given an int array and a target number, print out all pairs in the array that add up to the target number
    2. Find the first common ancestor in BST by the given value

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really unexpected, standard questions around your coding solution, what's the runtime, how would you improve the solution.   Answer Question