Amazon.com

Average Difficulty
76 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in December 2013.

Interview Details – The process was very in depth, but also had a very friendly and kind of laid back feel. I met with 4 different interviewers who asked a bit about my background and experience, and followed up with a technical question. Most of them were related to a problem one might face while working with Amazon, while others were about general algorithm design and implementation. Each portion lasted about an hour, and the entire interview day was about 5 hours, with lunch provided. The interviews are all conducted at their HQ, but Amazon will pay for your travel, hotel room, and reimbursement for certain personal expenses during your stay. All in all it was very professional while being incredibly fun.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was one in which I had to design a specific algorithm off the top of my head, and really had no clue where to start. It wasn't inherently difficult, I just wasn't prepared for it, so I stumbled a little bit.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details – Two round phone interviews. Asked very basic questions:
1. How to sort 3 integers
2. Find books your friends read
3. Calculate the frequency of words in a string.

Point is how to approach the problem, use right data structure and algorighms

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Interview Details – Amazon came to my college as a recruiter during a career fair. The first gave a presentation about their culture. It was followed by resume collection. The interviews began with a basic technical round and then were followed by white board coding.

Interview Question – Design your own hashmap in Java.   View Answer

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – first phone interview with co-edit tool. then on-site, 5 people give question one by one, most not from common problem pool but not very hard to implement if your mind is clear.

Interview Question – can't say the detail, but one DFS question about matrix adjacent numbers max. different interviewer tends to have question that they designed.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – I did 4 interviews, all through my university. The interviews were 100% technical -- they were not interested in your standard boilerplate interview questions. I asked more of those during my chance to ask questions at the end.

The first was a broad preliminary screening with an easy question about substrings, and the subsequent 3 were back-to-back-to-back. I strongly recommend Cracking the Coding Interview as a resource. I studied it for these interviews, and although none of the questions were exactly the same (one linked-list question was VERY similar), the overall strategies I learned from that book were helpful for every question.

Interview Question – Given a parking lot of fixed size, made up of a number of rows of spaces, and different vehicle sizes (e.g. car = 1 spot, bike = 1/2 spot, van = 2 spots, bus = 4 spots), develop an algorithm to determine the optimal place to park for any entering vehicle.   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate at all, which in retrospect was naive. I recommend at least asking for more.

Software Development Engineer I

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring process was pretty easy since they were recruiting on campus. However, the interview process was very straight forward all technical questions one after another for 45 minutes. Most of the questions focused around data structures.

Interview Question – The questions were very cs based, but my background is in computer engineering so some of the questions were too advanced at the time.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Amazon.com in May 2012.

Interview Details – Was contacted by a recruiter after an on-campus event. The interview process consisted of 2 phone interviews. Both interviews focused on basic knowledge of algorithms / data structures and some problem solving.

Interview Question – You have an MxN matrix and a robot trying to go from top-left to bottom-right.. Write a program that calculates the shortest path from top-left to bottom-right that does not go through a negative value. The robot can only move "down" and "left".   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Non-negotioable. It seems like the whole industry has this convention that offers are non-negotiable. I would encourage you to be brave and try to negotiate anyway. If they are not willing to negotiate, then they don't deserve you.

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online and then quite a while later (1-2 months) I got an email inviting me to come to Seattle for an on-site interview. There was no phone interview or anything like that. The day of the interview, all the candidates were split into groups of 3 and we were given a problem to complete, which was very clearly separated into 3 parts. All of the parts involved some sort of minimization problem and one of them, the one I chose, involved making predictions based on historical data and then minimizing costs based on the prediction. I got the impression that they kind of wanted us to work together but the problems weren't too related to each other and they said that we were not supposed to do any pair programming so that didn't really happen. We just worked on our problems and then periodically had short meetings with Amazon engineers to talk about our progress (I think there were 3 of these throughout the day). At the end, we submitted our code and then had a short info session with some more engineers and that was it.

Overall, it was a pretty good way to do interviews, I think. Definitely gave them a lot more info about my skills than most interviews do.

Reason for Declining – Overall, I got the impression that Amazon was just too corporate and too big, not in a good way. They also seem a little old fashioned and they don't provide a lot of the perks that other companies do (e.g. no food). I got another offer from another company that seemed like a better fit for me so I took that in the end.

Buffalo, NY

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online September 2013, and go the email for the online assignment after about three weeks. Since it was my first real interview, I was really nervous, I finished the problems as required, and I believe the answers were correct, however, since lack of previous interviewing experience, I failed it.

Interview Question – Standard and simple questions, no tricks.   View Answer

Software Development Engineer I

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – Got a phone interview with Amazon through a recruiter for their AWS team. first 15 minutes are pretty standard background questions like what challenges or what you learned through previous projects and experience. Then followed by two coding questions:
1. Given an int array and a target number, print out all pairs in the array that add up to the target number
2. Find the first common ancestor in BST by the given value

Interview Question – Nothing really unexpected, standard questions around your coding solution, what's the runtime, how would you improve the solution.   Answer Question

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!