Amazon.com

Updated Nov 19, 2014

3.4

93 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Development Engineer I Interview

I submitted my resume at my university's career fair and got interviewed on campus. The interviewee was from the core team: customer management and the overall atmosphere is quite pleasant.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in November 2014.

I applied through a referral 6 months ago and didn't hear anything, which disappointed me. Recently that same friend inquired if I was still interested and I gave it a shot -- this time he followed up with the recruiter and I was contact within a week.

The recruiter was helpful and thought I would be a good fit for the team. He wanted to get me into the on-site interviews occurring in 2 weeks so he set me up with a phone interview two days later.

The phone interview was with an engineer and involved two technical questions using an online code editor. One question was about data structures, and the other was object-oriented / system design. It was a good experience and the interviewer was pleasant and helpful.

I felt pretty good about the interview but felt I could have used more time on the second question (only had about 10 minutes left). The recruiter followed up and said that they wanted me for an on-site interview, which I was pleased with.

The on-site interview was about 3 and a half hours with 4 different people. Each asked me a technical question and some behavioral questions. One question involved object-oriented design. The other questions involved algorithms, two touching on specific data structures. Each of these technical questions had follow up questions regarding optimization, trade-offs, and alternate solutions.

The interview process was long and taxing, but overall a good experience. All interviewers were pleasant to talk with and helpful in both discussions about the problems and answering my questions about the team. Again, though, time was tight!

Overall the entire process this time around was interesting, fun, and especially challenging.

Interview Questions
    • Due to NDA I don't think I can share the details of the question, but the most challenging and interesting question involved an algorithm over a grid of data. The problem itself was challenging, and had a lot of area to explore optimization and good programming practices.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I had resume referred through a friend. HR was quick to contact and schedule a phone interview. 2 Phone interviews followed by onsite interview which had 5 rounds of technical interviews. The whole process was very good though quite tiring.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Settle, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Settle, KY

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in October 2014.

Got onsite opportunity, Had 4 back to back interviews, all were standard data structure problem except one bar raiser which was dynamic programming. Did coding on blackboard and later optimized for better complexicity

Software Development Engineer I Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com in October 2014.

Filled the online assessment which has 2 coding questions and around 24 multiple choice questions.
    The coding questions were related to string manipulation and bit manipulation. The second part was largely regarding alphabet permutations, pretty straightforward questions but you have to be quick.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected part was not getting clear feedback. I passed all test cases for one coding question, and missed one test case on the second coding question, so I couldn't pinpoint why exactly I had failed the assessment.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in October 2014.

I applied through Amazon.jobs and was contacted a month later by a recruiter. I was given instructions for an on-campus interview. I had to clarify twice because the information was confusing and sometimes downright incorrect. I wasn't very impressed with the organization. The interviews themselves each had a few behavioral questions followed by a coding problem on a whiteboard. These were irritating as they gave a small whiteboard to write a lot of code.

Overall I was unimpressed by company culture and values.

They got back to me a few days later.

Software Development Engineer I Interview

I applied online one year ago and maybe one week later, one HR contact me, and asked me if I had got the interview within half year, and I said this is the first time I applied Amazon. Then, he gave me a link and let me answer the three code questions within one and a half hours.

Interview Questions
    • Search a element in a matrix using log(n) time.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I took a test online with 3 coding questions within a 40 minute time frame. print out a program that calculates peoples grades. that's one of them, I don't remember the rest. I got through that and got an email saying they would fly me to Washington!

They flew me down to Washington for an interview set up hotel and pretty much all the accommodations (i.e. food, taxi service), Apparently they have a lot of interviewees according to the taxi drivers. They look for the best of the crop.

I went to the interview the next day. They took me through 5 rounds of interviews. Know your Big O notation, know how to sort through a relational database, algorithms and especially know your data structures( LinkedLists, trees, etc.) I can't remember the rest of the questions specifically...

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Code interview, on site interview. 5 interviews on site, design parking lot, design coffee machine, implement binary tree. Find a route in binary tree that sums to a certain number. Merge 2 binary trees. Heard back 1 day after code interview, 2 days after on site interview. They wanted to fly me to Seattle, I already lived in the area

Software Development Engineer I Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

The position was a new grad SDE. Applied in august and it took around two weeks for the call.The phone call was absolutely nothing of what I expected.They asked me about my resume and other minor things. The second round was in Seattle. So, the interview started around 8:30 am and it went on the whole day with two one on one interviews and the rest was a coding test in groups.The interviews were fairly tough as was the coding test.

Interview Questions
    • Because of the NDA, I can't tell you a lot. But, it was a real time project,which you have to develop.So, a good 4-5hrs of coding.   Answer Question