Amazon.com Software Development Engineer I Interview Questions

Updated Oct 19, 2014

3.4

83 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in November 2011.

I had already gone through one phone screen which went very well. I was contacted via email by my recruiter to set up an onsite interview. I was in Seattle, WA for 3 days, 2 nights in a nice hotel not far from HQ in the heart of downtown Seattle. The interview was administered on the second day. It went from 11-4 and included 5 1:1 interviews—including the non-technical, hiring manager interview during lunch. Aside from the lunch interview—which was one hour long—all of the interviews were 45 minutes long. Amazon lives up to the reputation of administering difficult interviews. I was asked design questions, algorithm questions, language-specific knowledge questions, and various other questions.
All in all, I really enjoyed the experience. The people I met were genuine and real. It was obvious that you could simply be yourself at Amazon; from your opinions to your clothing, they not only allow you to be yourself, the demand it.

Interview Questions
  • Write a function that takes an integer and counts the number of bits.   View Answers (3)
  • Design an LRU cache   View Answer
  • Design and describe the classes you would use when implementing the card game War.   View Answer
I didn't negotiate. I was offered 90k as an SDE I. I feel that is a very fair salary for the position. My advice is, consider what you are offered; if you feel it is less than what you are worth for the position being offered, then negotiate.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in June 2011.

I got a call from Amazon on a friday. I was offered to appear for an online test. Because of personal commitments I was not able to take the test. I took the test on the next weekend. I got a call from the HR on the next Tuesday where she scheduled a telephonic interview for me with the Hiring Manager. This telephonic interview, as a company policy, might be with anyone. There were 2 technical questions posed to me for which I had to verbally speak the code.
    Q1: Implement a stack with the getMinimum() function apart from the other basic functions.
    A: using another array as a minStack. if(e < minStack.peek()) minStack.push(). if(poppedElement == minStack.peek()) minStack.pop();
    Q2: There is an array of numbers where the number are continuously increasing until any position. After which they are continuously decreasing. Find the element where this has changed.
    A: binary search.

After the telephonic Interviews, I was called for onsite interviews where there were 5 rounds. Each of them had 2 questions. All technical and problem solving.

I dont remember all the questions now.

Interview Questions
    • Consider Str1 and Str2. Tell me the number of occurrences of the cyclic substring of str2 in str1.   View Answer
    There was negotiation on the joining bonus as well as the basic salary. the increments were 50% and ~10% respectively.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2013.

One online round in which there were objective questions regarding Computer Science fundamentals and C programming basic and puzzles were asked followed by 2 programs to be written. After clearing this there were three grueling interview rounds.

Interview Questions
    • Algorithm for searching for a piece in an infinitely large chess board using a knight piece.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I applied out of college through their website. I was then flown out to Seattle for an onsite interview. The day started with everyone in a large group. They provided a pizza lunch and an opportunity to talk with amazon employees. I then had 4 back-to-back interivews each lasting 45 min to an hour. I stayed in the same room while each new interviewer came to me. The interviews consisted of a variety of general concept questions as well as programming problems where I wrote code on a white board.

Interview Questions
    • Many programming questions on a white board. Both coding and design questions as well as general computer science questions about data structures.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in August 2013.

Algorithm questions for a on line test. 3 questions in 1 hour. So it would not be very difficult considering the time and questions. Most of them are from Crack Code book and Career Cup Website. Nothing particularly difficult. If you practice with carch code, careercup and leetcode enough, you'll be fine.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in December 2013.

I submitted my resume cold through Amazon's careers site, and about one month later received an invitation to fly out to Seattle for an interview event. Amazon was very accommodating with the expense coverage and hotel (2 nights, the importance of which really can't be overstated), and made the trip my favorite interview trip that I've had, including trips to NYC and San Francisco.

As is common knowledge, Amazon is in a phase of rapid expansion, and as such is doing its best to scoop up the top talent in the field to help them grow with continued quality. Their interview format reflects these needs, and is quite unique among top-tier software companies. Roughly 20-25 candidates were flown out for this event, and we were all taken to a large room to be briefed. In the room were multiple small tables with 3 laptops and name placards each, and we separated into our designated groups (of 3, as mentioned above). Each group was then given a detailed problem statement, and we then proceeded to spend the rest of the day working with our team to develop a solution, coding our (self-chosen) parts individually, and talking with Amazon engineers about our understanding of the problem, our design, and our progress with our solution. It was not as academic (read: knowledge-based) of an interview as those at Google, and the problems were certainly non-trivial.

Although initially I was skeptical of this interview format, being used to the traditionally revered 4-interviews-with-a-whiteboard format used elsewhere, I found myself enjoying and respecting this interview format more and more as the day progressed, and ultimately, I found that I far preferred this to the traditional format. It allows the engineers to judge teamwork, leadership ability, personality, confidence, and communication skills, as well as providing a no-nonsense way to find out if a candidate can analyze a problem and ship effective, maintainable code in the span of a day in a quality-critical environment, which is really what is the ultimate goal of these interviews. As such, I'm a believer in this and other alternatives to the traditional interview format, and I applaud Amazon for doing what it can to find a better way to do things.

Interview Questions
    • As per the NDA, I will not provide specifics, but just think about the types of problems that an Amazon.com engineer might have to solve, because the interview problem is almost always a core production problem.   Answer Question
    The interview was on a Friday, and they called me the immediately following Monday with an offer. They were pretty solid with their offer, so after some light negotiation, I accepted the original offer, as it was already very good. One thing that all potential candidates should be aware of before they start, though, is that you cannot assume that any location outside Seattle will have available positions. The offer will be for the Seattle HQ, and you may be able to request a different location if there happen to be openings. However, if you do accept an offer for Seattle, but have your heart set somewhere else, you are perfectly able to apply for a team transfer after working on your first team for 12 months or so. Also, different offices may have slightly different compensation packages (scaled for cost of living, etc.).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

It was one of their non-traditional group interview processes that they have started doing.

Arrived at 8 in the morning and was given a tour. They did say that more people who go on the tours get offers than those who don't, however they did also say that they don't take it in to account. Anyways, we were shown around a couple buildings and then returned to where we would be for the rest of the day.

We were put in to groups of 3 and given a problem to solve. The problem could be divided amongst each person so everyone had something to work on. Then at times throughout the day we spoke with Amazon engineers about our solution and then some more traditional coding interview questions.

All in all it was quite difficult but I did actually end up enjoying this experience more. It gave you an idea of what it was like to work at Amazon and also it was easier to relax with other team members with you.

Amazon is highering a ton so they did say that it wouldn't be a competition and that everyone would be evaluated separated from one another.

Interview Questions
    • As per NDA I cannot share specifics, but just think about what an Amazon engineer would have to solve on a daily basis.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

I submitted the resume on the Amazon Career website and received a email about an untraditional group interview event about ten days later. And after I confirmed the date I received flights and hotel reservation in two days.

On the interview day I came to the Amazon campus and was shown around the campus before the interview started. Then we were divided into group of 3 people and given a project. We needed to discuss on which part each of us would choose and after that we were about to work on our own part. We were free to choose any programming language we like. According to the Non-Disclosure Agreement I would not reveal what the project was about, but it was challenging and really practical. During the coding process we were called out twice for individual interviews, which were about the progress of your project. The interviewers were very friendly and I did not feel as stressed as normal interviews. One thing I need to mention is that the group interviews are only for students.

The interview was on Friday and after some negotiation I received the official offer letter on Tuesday, and the offer was really nice. I really enjoyed the whole interview process. And if you are a good coder, this kind of interview will definitely be a great chance for you.

Interview Questions
    • All questions I was asked about was about the project.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Contacted by University Recruiter. Sent to Seattle offices for their group interviews. The questions were not too hard, but it is important to start with a simple working solution and then iterate to a more complicated solution due to the time constraints.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in April 2014.

I sent my resume to a campus recruiter and received a group interview invitation a month later. Had an one-hour long campus tour in the beginning and the interview took up the rest of the day. Each group has three members, each works on one part of the problem and you need to figure out division of tasks. Each task is independent and you can choose you language.