Amazon.com Software Development Engineer I Interview Questions

Updated Aug 25, 2015

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in November 2011.

Interview

I had already gone through one phone screen which went very well. I was contacted via email by my recruiter to set up an onsite interview. I was in Seattle, WA for 3 days, 2 nights in a nice hotel not far from HQ in the heart of downtown Seattle. The interview was administered on the second day. It went from 11-4 and included 5 1:1 interviews—including the non-technical, hiring manager interview during lunch. Aside from the lunch interview—which was one hour long—all of the interviews were 45 minutes long. Amazon lives up to the reputation of administering difficult interviews. I was asked design questions, algorithm questions, language-specific knowledge questions, and various other questions. All in all, I really enjoyed the experience. The people I met were genuine and real. It was obvious that you could simply be yourself at Amazon; from your opinions to your clothing, they not only allow you to be yourself, the demand it.

Interview Questions

• Write a function that takes an integer and counts the number of bits.   3 Answers
  • Design an LRU cache   1 Answer
  • Design and describe the classes you would use when implementing the card game War.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate. I was offered 90k as an SDE I. I feel that is a very fair salary for the position. My advice is, consider what you are offered; if you feel it is less than what you are worth for the position being offered, then negotiate.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Hyderābād (India)) in June 2011.

Interview

I got a call from Amazon on a friday. I was offered to appear for an online test. Because of personal commitments I was not able to take the test. I took the test on the next weekend. I got a call from the HR on the next Tuesday where she scheduled a telephonic interview for me with the Hiring Manager. This telephonic interview, as a company policy, might be with anyone. There were 2 technical questions posed to me for which I had to verbally speak the code. Q1: Implement a stack with the getMinimum() function apart from the other basic functions. A: using another array as a minStack. if(e < minStack.peek()) minStack.push(). if(poppedElement == minStack.peek()) minStack.pop(); Q2: There is an array of numbers where the number are continuously increasing until any position. After which they are continuously decreasing. Find the element where this has changed. A: binary search. After the telephonic Interviews, I was called for onsite interviews where there were 5 rounds. Each of them had 2 questions. All technical and problem solving. I dont remember all the questions now.

Interview Questions

• Consider Str1 and Str2. Tell me the number of occurrences of the cyclic substring of str2 in str1.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was negotiation on the joining bonus as well as the basic salary. the increments were 50% and ~10% respectively.

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

I applied out of college through their website. I was then flown out to Seattle for an onsite interview. The day started with everyone in a large group. They provided a pizza lunch and an opportunity to talk with amazon employees. I then had 4 back-to-back interivews each lasting 45 min to an hour. I stayed in the same room while each new interviewer came to me. The interviews consisted of a variety of general concept questions as well as programming problems where I wrote code on a white board.

Interview Questions

• Many programming questions on a white board. Both coding and design questions as well as general computer science questions about data structures.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Hyderābād (India)) in January 2013.

Interview

One online round in which there were objective questions regarding Computer Science fundamentals and C programming basic and puzzles were asked followed by 2 programs to be written. After clearing this there were three grueling interview rounds.

Interview Questions

• Algorithm for searching for a piece in an infinitely large chess board using a knight piece.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Bangalore (India)) in September 2014.

Interview

1 telephonic round 4 technical 1 bar raiser round Main focus on data structure and algorithm. Geeks for geeks can help folks preparing for interviews.Be confident and never give up.Work life is not so great but if you are ready to compromise there then they are ready to welcome you on board.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Detroit, MI) in May 2015.

Interview

The process began with a short phone screening. The next step was to complete an online coding test. The questions were timed and required the use of the provided web based IDE. After this step, there was a technical phone interview. After this, the big in person interview. This consisted of 4 different 1 on 1 interviews. Each interview involved writing code on a white board.

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Madrid (Spain)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Madrid (Spain)).

Interview

First I made an online test with 3 easy questions about algorithms. Then they scheduled a phone screen with the questions below. The interview had 2 parts , 1 about theory about LinkedList, HashTables and Trees and 2 exercices.

Interview Questions

• [Linked-List] Implement an algorithm to find the kth to last element of a singly linked list. [ Trees ] Given two nodes , return the lowest common ancestor.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in September 2012.

Interview

Like other software technology companies, the interview process begins with a technical phone screen followed by onsite, in-person interviews. The technical phone screen involves solving an algorithm or data structure question. If you pass the technical phone screen, then you will be asked to attend onsite, in-person interviews. There are usually 4 in-person interviews, most with engineers, one with HR and another possibly with management. At the in-person interviews they will ask not only technical algorithm/data structure questions, but also behavioral questions questions about how you reacted in various situations, and questions related to why you want to join the company.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to join the company?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in November 2014.

Interview

5 rounds, including 4 technical interviews and 1 project review at lunch. Each round takes about 45 mins. The technical questions asked were not easy for me. The one at lunch time was a manager asking me about some personality questions and my past projects. There was 1 interviewer called bar raiser that came from another team. Usually bar raiser is the most experienced one, and he has the deterministic vote to the decision.

Interview Questions

• All technical rounds are dealing with design patterns. You have to define your classes and write down some algorithms to fulfill the functionality. I was also asked a DP problem.   2 Answers

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

The interview was online coding and had a programming and a reasoning assessment section. The programming was mid-level but difficult to get all the test cases right. The reasoning assessment was quite simple but time constraint. Fairly a good experience.

Interview Questions

• They had programming questions with bitwise operations and string manipulations.   Answer Question