Amazon.com

Updated Apr 18, 2014

Getting the Interview

59 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details – Had an online coding test consisting of 3 questions to be answered within 90 mins. C++ or Java to be used.
Questions included finding loops in a linked list, largest increasing sub-sequence in an array and finding the average scores of students in an exam.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult although one should be strong with using data structures.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter. I had 3 phone interviews and I was asked basic programming questions.
Few questions I can recall,
1. Implement your own hashmap in java
2. Given an integer array, find all pairs of integers which sums up to K.
3. Difference between arraylist and vector
4. How would you implement your own ArrayList
5. Questions regarding knowledge of design patterns

Interview Question – All questions were by level of my skills.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I

I applied online and interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – Reached me through online application. Requested me to do an online assessment

Interview Question – Most questions you can find from online   Answer Question

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter and flown to Seattle. After a couple of hours of talking to engineers and asking questions, I spent the rest of the day doing a group programming problem. I can't go into detail about the question, but it was such that every member of the group could work on a seperate part. I thought I did pretty well, but I guess they were looking for something else, or maybe I didn't give the right impression during the 30 minute 1 on 1 interview in which we discussed the code I had written so far and talked about what I wanted to do at Amazon.

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details – I received an email from an Amazon recruiter, got two phone interviews but did not got the on site. Each phone interview, the interviewer started by introducing his team and ask me if i have any questions. After that, they started ask me technical questions. I did two coding questions for each interview, and i made some mistake for the second one, i think that is the reason i could not move further.

Interview Question – The questions for phone interviews are not difficult.   View Answer

Hyderābād (India)

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details – You have 1 written , 2/3 telephonic and 4/6 f2f rounds.

Interview Question – All question needed good amount of logical thinking.   Answer Question

Montreal, QC (Canada)

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2012.

Interview Details – So, I met an Amazon recruiter at a software engineering conference for undergraduate students. After a brief chat, she sent me to speak with one of the two engineers at the Amazon booth. This engineer asked me a data structures related programming question. Naturally, this question had a simple naive solution as well as an optimized solution. I coded up a quick solution both ways and explained them.

Approximately 3 weeks later, I was contacted and Amazon flew me out to Seattle for an interview at their headquarters (no phone interview). At their headquarters, there was a 6 hour long coding intensive interview conducted in small groups, with a 1 on 1 interview to close out the day.

Two days after, I was extended an offer, which I accepted. All in all, a very pleasant experience.

Interview Question – NDA, sorry.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Extremely good offer, maybe in the 99th percentile for new graduates in the area. Did not negotiate.

Software Development Engineer I

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – For interns:
A written test followed by two rounds of interview

Typical process:
One or two rounds of phone interviews - mostly problem solving, Algo and DS
Three rounds of in person interviews - again problem solving, algo, DS and coding

Interview Question – Explain buffer overflow   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Amazon consider market (and your pay at your earlier company, if applicable)

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details – Phone Screening - all technical (basics of computer, data structures, algorithms)
Online Coding (3-5 programs for 1.30 Hr in the language of your choice)
Onsite Interview
     4-5 Technical Rounds on Data Structure, Algorithms, Design Patterns.

Negotiation Details – no negotiation done by me.

Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2011.

Interview Details – 2 interviews, intern position and assessment

Interview Question – transform a [1,0] matrix grid into matrix grid of manhattan distance between closest 1's   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Amazon.com

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!

Amazon.com Videos

Amazon.com – Why Work for Us?

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amazon.com Software Development Engineer I interview questions and advice. All 59 interview reviews posted anonymously by Amazon.com employees and interview candidates.