Amazon.com Software Development Engineer I Interview Questions & Reviews

3.4

76 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in December 2013.

The process was very in depth, but also had a very friendly and kind of laid back feel. I met with 4 different interviewers who asked a bit about my background and experience, and followed up with a technical question. Most of them were related to a problem one might face while working with Amazon, while others were about general algorithm design and implementation. Each portion lasted about an hour, and the entire interview day was about 5 hours, with lunch provided. The interviews are all conducted at their HQ, but Amazon will pay for your travel, hotel room, and reimbursement for certain personal expenses during your stay. All in all it was very professional while being incredibly fun.

Interview Questions
  • The most difficult question was one in which I had to design a specific algorithm off the top of my head, and really had no clue where to start. It wasn't inherently difficult, I just wasn't prepared for it, so I stumbled a little bit.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Employee  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Amazon came to my college as a recruiter during a career fair. The first gave a presentation about their culture. It was followed by resume collection. The interviews began with a basic technical round and then were followed by white board coding.

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Two round phone interviews. Asked very basic questions:
    1. How to sort 3 integers
    2. Find books your friends read
    3. Calculate the frequency of words in a string.

Point is how to approach the problem, use right data structure and algorighms

Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

first phone interview with co-edit tool. then on-site, 5 people give question one by one, most not from common problem pool but not very hard to implement if your mind is clear.

Interview Questions
    • can't say the detail, but one DFS question about matrix adjacent numbers max. different interviewer tends to have question that they designed.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Delhi (India)
    Anonymous Employee in Delhi (India)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2014.

I din't reach the interview round. I was not able to clear the first round mainly because of online coding as I was not in touch of that.
    Other then that there were 20 MCQ which were pretty basic concepts of DS and algorithms.
    So do prepare on an online coding site like code chef,hacker rank

Interview Questions
    • Online coding question : Do the vertical sum of all the axis.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

I did 4 interviews, all through my university. The interviews were 100% technical -- they were not interested in your standard boilerplate interview questions. I asked more of those during my chance to ask questions at the end.

The first was a broad preliminary screening with an easy question about substrings, and the subsequent 3 were back-to-back-to-back. I strongly recommend Cracking the Coding Interview as a resource. I studied it for these interviews, and although none of the questions were exactly the same (one linked-list question was VERY similar), the overall strategies I learned from that book were helpful for every question.

Interview Questions
    • Given a parking lot of fixed size, made up of a number of rows of spaces, and different vehicle sizes (e.g. car = 1 spot, bike = 1/2 spot, van = 2 spots, bus = 4 spots), develop an algorithm to determine the optimal place to park for any entering vehicle.   View Answers (2)
    I did not negotiate at all, which in retrospect was naive. I recommend at least asking for more.

Software Development Engineer I Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Amazon.com.

One screening interview and then 3 back to back technical interviews. The screening was done by a seemingly fresh developer who didn't understand some of my answers, so i had to give him another basic algorithm. The technical interviews discussed my resume (thank goodness somebody cares about prior experience), had a graph problem that is solved by BFS, and finally there was a question that was much more complicated than the person asking it realized. Overall, I was frustrated by the level of preparedness of my interviewers.

Interview Questions
    • A question about finding anomalies in a stream of data. I couldn't code an answer because I could think of so many ways the data stream can gradually deviate from its expected distribution. The interviewer ended up giving me the algorithm and I coded it then showed him how it is not a general solution. During my though process I asked for clarification question that he wasn't prepared to answer.   Answer Question
    They refused to negotiate at all, telling me that there is a standard offer. I could squeeze out some money for relocation.

Software Development Engineer I Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2013.

The hiring process was pretty easy since they were recruiting on campus. However, the interview process was very straight forward all technical questions one after another for 45 minutes. Most of the questions focused around data structures.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were very cs based, but my background is in computer engineering so some of the questions were too advanced at the time.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Amazon.com in May 2012.

Was contacted by a recruiter after an on-campus event. The interview process consisted of 2 phone interviews. Both interviews focused on basic knowledge of algorithms / data structures and some problem solving.

Interview Questions
    • You have an MxN matrix and a robot trying to go from top-left to bottom-right.. Write a program that calculates the shortest path from top-left to bottom-right that does not go through a negative value. The robot can only move "down" and "left".   View Answer
    Non-negotioable. It seems like the whole industry has this convention that offers are non-negotiable. I would encourage you to be brave and try to negotiate anyway. If they are not willing to negotiate, then they don't deserve you.

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

I got in contact with a recruiter through a friend, and they were going to come to my country to do some interviews. After a first contact email they sent me a url to make an offline telematic interview, and after it I went to the onsite interviews, 5 in total.
    A couple of weeks after the onsite interviews I got the offer.

Interview Questions
    • First I was surprised about was that they recommended me to read their Leadership Principles and think about them deeply, as they would ask me them, and in fact they did, so behavoiral questions will be asked.
      Apart from that, they asked me some Object Oriented Programming questions, and some algorithmic questions.
        Answer Question
    Yes, offer is negotiable, but not too much.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!