Amazon.com Software Development Engineer I Interview Questions

Updated Mar 26, 2015

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in December 2014.

The HR person contacted me on linkedin and then called me to talk about experience, salary, relocation and basically tell me how great Amazon is as a place to work.

The phone screen consisted of an introduction and two questions. The first, a simple question about binary trees. The second a live coding session where the interviewer watched me as I typed code for a more complex string algorithm. I was then asked about the time complexity and also to improve the time complexity by further optimizing and re-coding my algorithm. It last 45 minutes total. I was given positive feedback the next day via email.

I was given flights at my convenience, a super nice hotel, and $80/day to use on taxis to navigate Seattle.

The on-site interview consisted of 5 rounds. The first an OOP design on the whiteboard and then further extrapolating the design as complexities were added. The second a fairly simple binary tree algorithm question on the whiteboard with time complexity analyzed. The third lunch with the manager talking about my past experience and leadership principles. The fourth (bar-raiser) a more complex binary tree algorithm question on the whiteboard that required the use of other data structures (hashtable) to further optimize it. The fifth a discussion about software testing and bug-fixing.

I was given positive feedback that same day 2 hours after interview.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Software Development Engineer I Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2015.

The interview process is very straight forward. I was contacted by recruiter for the online screening. There was some problem with the online test so they scheduled two telephonic screenings for me.
    At the end of telephonic interviews, I did not get a call for Onsite interview.

Interview Questions
    • Current projects, Programs on data structures, LinkedLists   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2015.

I applied online and was contacted by Amazon.com for online assessment. This was 90 mins coding assessment. After one week , they told me to again take another personality online assessment. Two weeks later they invited me for on-site interview. They arranged everything from travel to accommodation. In on-site I had back to back 3 technical (coding) interviews on white board. I was supposed to have 4 interviews but one of my interviewer was not able to make it so they told me that I will be having that part as phone interview later.

Software Development Engineer I Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I was interviewed to Amazon.De. It was the most awful experience for several years.

The interviewer tried to be polite and explained all the details about his project and team. There were several types of questions: algorithm, data structure, problem solving and behavioral questions. I answered all the technical questions correctly. Moreover, there were some questions that only quite few people could answer because it requires specific work experience. So, I answered all the technical questions. I checked it after, yes, everything was 100% correct. Behavioral question was pretty straight, and I answered exactly what the interviewer wanted. More important it was really honest answer.

After the interview I had impression that the interviewer just read standard blog about interviewing. Not more. Sometimes I even didn't believe that such guy could pass the same interview. But the most disappointed thing, that they rejected me even after telephone interview without any explanation.

Interview Questions
    • 1) Find if pair of elements with given sum exists in large integer array
      2) Explain how to implement Dictionary data structure.

Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Amazon.com.

I applied through my school's job board (JobMine, University of Waterloo). I received an on-site interview in Waterloo on a Wednesday morning.

All interviews were done at the Tatham Centre on the University of Waterloo Main Campus.

This interview was focused on both - I timed 10 minutes on behavioural / past projects / "talk about yourself", 25 minutes for the coding problem, and another 10 minutes on "do you have any questions for me", all time which I felt I was using well.

This first coding question was riveting. (NDA, can't say what they are) I got stuck in some places, but I wrote down the pseudocode, stated my assumptions, got the green light, and started coding. I got stuck in some areas, (since I was using a Java HashMap and its entrySet() method, which I confused with keySet()) but eventually had about 90% of the code done (with test cases written off on the side, and the expected result given my initial pseudocode) before I asked him questions about what his thoughts on Amazon were.

I was driving back to Toronto (where I'm from) when I got the call from Amazon for a follow-up "second round" of interviews, of which it would be three back-to-back interviews at a certain time. Since my time schedule was really weirdly limiting (a fault of my own), I took the three earliest ones - 9:00am, 9:45am, and 10:45am (15 minute break between 10:30am - 10:45am).

The first interview of "round two" was with a hiring manager. He was quite friendly, and did a great job explaining his role and what his progression was through Amazon as well as Waterloo (all Waterloo interviewers from Amazon are alumni, from what I could tell, and had at least a few years of experience at Amazon under their belts). I talked really in-depth about the last intern project I worked on, and he was really intrigued, so kept probing me on details. Eventually, I'd sketched out the entirety of the systems' design, which I was (mostly) responsible for integrating & implementing. This interview felt really good in my book.

The second interview of "round two" was an object-oriented design problem. I felt I was bombing this, but I think I specified what I was thinking and what my goals were at every stage, and never sought to waste time or "pander" to a specific approach. Every time I deviated from what the original assumptions I'd made (that were correct, or at least, not corrected by the interviewer), I would be shepherded back to the correct path (which I felt was bad, since then I'm getting too much guidance, or something). I wrote the required interfaces, designed the classes of objects, as well as their relationships, then wrote pseudocode for the required interface methods, and implemented it. I was able to get through it all and have just under five minutes to spare for questions (40 minute problem!).

The third interview of "round two" was an algorithms problem, but phrased in a way that made it seem like implementation was important. As usual, I set up and framed the question, solving the ambiguities where necessary, and began to design approaches to solving the problem. The only issue was, none of them worked. At each of the instances I suggested something, the interviewer would question them, which would make me clarify assumptions, which would invalidate that approach. We approached the 20 minute mark before I believed that I had come up with something relatively reasonable, until I was about to implement it and realized it was inefficient, which the interviewer noted "good work". It took another ten minutes to reason out a solution that also looked viable, until he gave me a suggestion to spark a data structure that would work perfectly (it was a heap). I didn't have enough time to finish the implementation (pseudocode and test cases checked out), but the interviewer explained that he was looking at the way I approached problems, rather than what the code was supposed to look like.

And that was it for my interviews. I left the TC at 11:30am really scared of what would happen.
    I was really (silently) self-critical when in the interviews, and I was fearful that it either showed, or that I had failed. One went decent (first), one went "ok" (last), and one went "oh man why did i do that" (second, but i guess the interviewer didn't think so?).

I got an email roughly two weeks later extending me an offer; it was the happiest day of my life so far.

Interview Questions
    • What was your most favourite project that you worked on, and what was your role in that project?   Answer Question
    • Design a library system for checking out and checking in items.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2015.

Online assessment first. Got the work style two weeks later. Got the onsite invitation 2 weeks later. For onsite there are four rounds back-to-back interview, basically is writing code on a white broad. 4 hours totally.

Interview Questions
    • oop question, design class for a tree which could represent the expression   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

The interview was online coding and had a programming and a reasoning assessment section. The programming was mid-level but difficult to get all the test cases right. The reasoning assessment was quite simple but time constraint. Fairly a good experience.

Interview Questions
    • They had programming questions with bitwise operations and string manipulations.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

apply online, HR contact. The process includes 2 round phone interview and 1 onsite interview(4 rounds), in Seattle hc, for new grad SDE1. It's a standard campus interview, I think.

Interview Questions
    • Phone:

1. Copy Linked List with Random Node. Same as leetcode.

2. is Banlanced BT? Same as leetcode.

3. Maximum sum of sub-array. Follow up: if array is circular?

Onsite:

1. C++ 'static' class menber and function. shopping cart index simple algorithm question. Return the product of all other elements in an array.

2. Boggle game. Trie API.

3. How to design "Macy's" direction display board? OOD.

4. How to check a graph is cyclic? O(m+n) better algorithm. Optimization using hashmap and store state for each node traversed.

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in November 2014.

5 rounds, including 4 technical interviews and 1 project review at lunch. Each round takes about 45 mins. The technical questions asked were not easy for me. The one at lunch time was a manager asking me about some personality questions and my past projects. There was 1 interviewer called bar raiser that came from another team. Usually bar raiser is the most experienced one, and he has the deterministic vote to the decision.

Interview Questions
    • All technical rounds are dealing with design patterns. You have to define your classes and write down some algorithms to fulfill the functionality. I was also asked a DP problem.   View Answers (2)

Software Development Engineer I Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Good and Decent Interview; Took a lot of time though three plus Months. Had only three onsite interviews, and had to wait two plus weeks for the fourth one to be scheduled. Had an online coding and logical reasoning test, and a behavioral test before the on-site interview