Amazon.com

Updated Feb 26, 2015
Updated Feb 26, 2015

3.3

Software Development Engineer I Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2013.

briefly coding, asked about my background and asked about the function and difference between map and list, then turned to coding part, toke me 45 mins to complete the whole procedure, then I asked him about one or two questions ,then the interview ends

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2015.

This was an in-campus group project interview for recent graduates. It was a one whole day group project, where they give you their project architecture and a booklet that explains what your group needs to do. Accessing Google and asking for your group members help is allowed, but you are expected to be able to write your code and generate output using their code architecture. You would be called twice for a one-on-one during the day that mainly deals with the code and your logic/reasoning. Keep coding till then. You will not have to prepare anything about your work experience/skillset or about yourself.

Interview Questions
    • It is all related to explaining your choice of data structure/algorithm in your code. Nothing outside!   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2015.

Applied online, contacted by the recruiter, scheduled a phone interview, went well. Then move to the onsite interview where I met 4 engineers and the hiring manager.

2 days later they called me and told me that they decide not making an offer, which is really, really surprising because I think I did really well for all interviews, I answer all questions almost flawlessly and had some really good time with all interviewers. I assume there's someone else who did even better.

Software Development Engineer I Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Contacted via email by a recruiter for a group interview about a month ahead of time. No screening or anything, just flew me out there for the interview. Overall the process was really good, I enjoyed the group interview much more so than a normal tech interview. Allowed you to show your actual dev skills and solve an interesting problem.

Interview Questions
    • It was a group interview so it is essentially how they outline it in the email they send you.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2015.

Onsite is begin from 9: 45 AM to 5:00 OM. The whole process is pretty smooth, but really exhausted. 5 interview section in total. At noon, I have a launch with a engineer.

The interview question is quite difficult in the 3rd section, its a principal engineer. I think he is the bar razor.

Anyway, quite a good experience.

Interview Questions
    • give you a 2d charater array and a words dictionary, find out all the available words in grid. You can move to 8 different direction from one cell, including diagonal direction.

Implement a Black-jack poker game.

give you some modular dependencies, find out the build order for the given module.

Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2015.

Got contacted by the recruiter about doing an online assessment by a certain date. The coding part contains two questions, which are pretty easy and anyone should be able to finish it. The second part is reasoning test, 35 minutes for 24 questions. I didn't finish all, coz the last couple of questions are quite long and require time to read.

Software Development Engineer I Interview

They have many behavior questions, be prepared. And more importantly, read their leadership principle carefully, think about how to reflect some leadership principles in the answer of the behavior questions. Prepare one specific example, as detailed as possible for each behavior question. YES! THEY ASK YOU TO PROVIDE DETAILED EXAMPLES!!

Interview Questions
    • examples for behavior questions. particularly hard for fresh or poor working experience.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

4 round 1:1, each one 45 minutes

Each round ask you some background question and one programming question
    1 make file, choose a data structure to implement, (my answer is graph, do topology sort)
    2 file system, object oriented design, design two classes
    3 array of number, sum up to n, print out all pairs
    4 binary tree, given two node, find first common ancestor, without pointer to parent node

Interview Questions
    • I failed at the last question. I know it's on CC150 now, the interviewer changed the question while I am still thinking about it.   View Answer

Software Development Engineer I Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

I applied for a (different) Amazon job in the Summer 2014. I didn't get it, but it kept my resume in their database, and I was a contacted by a recruiter a few months later for this position. We corresponded a few times via email, and she sent me the online link for the first step of their interview process.

The first part was a general intelligence / analytical / brain teaser test where they pay attention to how well you understand and process paragraphs, mental math, and other quick response questions. This part was fine.

They then moved on to the actual coding test part. This was a little strange as they turn on the webcam on your computer to ensure the legitimacy of your test. You could pick your language (C++ or Java) and answer the questions accordingly. I struggled with both. In retrospect the questions were very easy and I struggled only because it was very early on in my hiring process and I hadn't found my 'coding rhythm' yet. Work through a coding interview prep book for a few weeks and you should be fine.

Interview Questions
    • I signed an NDA about the test, but I will say this: Know your pointers!   View Answer

Software Development Engineer I Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com.

The first round was a online coding test on their website. They asked three questions, pretty standard ones. I was caught in trying to make the most efficient solution( faster running) and that had good coding standards. I had 2 hours to solve them. I think you have write compilable code not pseudo code. Later I found that, you have write working solutions and nobody cares how efficient they are.