Amazon.com

Updated Dec 10, 2014

3.5

73 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

In my case, there was no phone interview before invited to the on-site interview. It was quite big interview event for New Grads. The event took a whole day from around 9am to 5pm. They made several groups with three members and each group receive a project to be solved in that day which is a kind of simplified version of problem that Amazon is currently facing in real world.

Interview Questions
  • It took quite a bit of time to understand the problem exactly. One project is divided into three problems and each team member chooses one problem they want. Three problems are not that tightly related.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Software Development Engineer II Interview

The first phone screen interview contained a basic data structure question, a basic OOD question, and a work style conversation. Second phone screen interview was mostly coding, based on a n- nary tree and recursion.

Interview Questions
    • The second interview coding problem involved fleshing out geneaology software.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

One of the the more unpleasant interview experiences of my life. Interviewers were cold and unwilling to share any information beyond their "portfolio of question". Their "coding quiz" (which, in concept, is quite reasonable) asked some of the most bizarre questions, much of what I believe had little to do with "real life" applications - they were more attuned to a sophomore or junior-level undergrad, and, quite frankly, were a poor barometer to ascertain one's skill as a software engineer. I was, and still am, left puzzled as to how these folks make intelligent decisions on whom to hire - I believe they're turning away (and turning off) many highly talented people.

Interview Questions
    • Their absurd quiz. Why would you ask someone to author a search algorithm from scratch when there are so many good ones available in open source and on various chat boards and blogs. A smart software engineer would never design one from scratch - he/she would look at what's been previously done (after all, it's NOT a new problem; it's been solved and optimized numerous times over), and select/adapt for one's specific application. I fail to see how this "quiz" helps differentiate good candidates from poor ones (IMO, it does quite the opposite).   View Answer

several reasons - job was advertised for one location, but offered for a different locale; but, the primary reason was that the interview process left such a "bad taste in my mouth" that I question how well they would treat their employees (ie, if they asked such absurd question in the interview, could i expect them to be "reasonable" on the job?). The risk/reward equation didn't look appealing

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Had a online interview, personality test and then a onsite interview. Online interview was a lot like what other people have said on this site. They responded in a week's time giving me a personality test and after that I got an invite to Seattle. The process was the same as the University Hire events others have talked about here.

Interview Questions
    • Signed an NDA so can't say much, but look over data structures and run times.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in November 2014.

Weird set of questions about constructing a search engine algorithm. Why would anyone waste time on something that has been done to death already? Not a very creative interview. That had a standard portfolio of questions they had to ask and they did not deviate from this list. I had high hopes for this interview because of how much I actually hold them in a very high regard.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing terribly unexpected, just not creative for a company that is supposed to be cutting edge.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer II Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in November 2014.

I worked at Amazon for several years before leaving to do a startup. Towards the end of my time at the startup I was contacted by a hiring manager in Amazon Web Services about a cool new position he was trying to hire for. I expressed interest but then everything went sideways. Apparently I wasn't eligible to be rehired but no one knew why. I spent several months going back and forth with various HR people to figure out why despite having positive reviews and having been asked by all of my previous managers (and several coworkers) to return I couldn't even get a phone screen. I still have yet to get a clear answer.

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Got mail and call from one of the hiring recruiters from the company. They were ready to take up interview almost immediately (like the next day). However, they asked when was the most convenient time. Scheduled for a telephonic interview which involved coding as well.

Interview Questions
    • Not difficult question. Retrieve max three elements in an array in O(n)   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer II Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in October 2014.

Was contacted by email by a recruiter about the Software Development Engineer II out of Seattle. She asked if I was interested and set up the phone interview. Actual interview conducted over the phone and used Mopad for programming. My interviewer was being trained and thus I had two interviewers.

Interview Questions
    • Asked two questions
      Given the root of a tree count it's nodes. Whats the time complexity of your answer?

You are given an array that contains numbers increasing up to the maximum then decreasing. ( [1,2,3,2] , [2,3,6,7,2,1], etc) Find the largest number. Whats the time complexity of your answer?

Answer Question

Software Development Engineer II Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Two phone screens. Cleared first one. Didn't move forward after second phone screen. First phone screen was just pure coding excersice. Second phone scree started with talking about resume, current projects, why change blah..blah. Then there were three coding exercises which were quite simple. After that I was thrown a random design question, on which I spent quite a bit of time and as it was open ended, there was no clear answer. Didn't move forward for onsite after second phone screen.

Interview Questions
    • // You are on a team that is creating a program to model stress on furniture.
      // Your task is to model the behavior of furniture under abuse such as
      // excessive weight or application of fire. There exists a prototype that
      // defines the following:

class Furniture {

/**
           * Furniture becomes unusable if enough weight is applied; the
           * algorithm depends on shape of furniture, the strength of material, and
           * the location where the weight is applied
          void applyWeight(double x, double y, double weight, double seconds);

/**
           * Furniture becomes unusable if it is made of wood, and fire is applied
           * long enough; wood will change from brown to black if it is burnt
           * (whether or not the furniture becomes unusable)
          void applyFire(double x, double y, double fireStrength, double seconds);

* possible values: Gray, Brown, Black, etc

class SteelChair extends Furniture {...}
      class WoodTable extends Furniture {...}
      class SteelTable extends Furniture {...}
      class RubbrCouch

// We will need to start adding other furniture like couches, beds, bookcases, and desks, and also new materials such as plastic, cloth, rubber, etc. Try to improve the class design - you are free to modify it however you wish since it is only a prototype.

View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in August 2014.

In summary, it was a very positive experience from start to finish. The interviews were setup quickly and professionally, the interviewers were friendly, and the overall process was well streamlined. However, the interviews were anything but a cakewalk. You had better know your data structures well, and preferably have lots of prior experience working with clustered and multitiered systems. Even though they didn't give me an offer, I'm happy with the experience.

The process started with a recruiter with Amazon contacting me via e-mail. She setup a phone interview within the week and got things rolling. The phone interview covered two things: coding challenges and a casual interview. I was asked two questions a little more difficult than a FizzBuzz question, and asked to write code to solve it in the language of my choice. The interviewer was more interested in measuring thought process than he was correct working code. The casual interview was the same: it was designed so that he could understand how compatible I would be working for the company, and I would get a better understanding of the companies culture.

After the interview, the recruiter contacted me within the week and setup an in-person interview at their company. This included Amazon covering a plane ticket, hotel, and travel costs. This second interview involved five separate one-on-one interviews which lasted the whole day. Here is where the real test is: Each interview will give you a unique coding challenge to solve. These are far more difficult and involved than the phone interview questions. It's your job to understand the problem, design a solution, and code it up. You had better understand your data structures and be comfortable using them on-the-fly. I won't divulge specifically what the questions were, but they ranged from esoteric let's-design-an-elevator questions, to more real world "This is a technical challenge we're having with message passing between these servers, how would you solve it?". The best way to study is to practice solving problems (google them, there are lots out there!). Again, the language you use isn't as important as the process you develop.

On the whole, it was a good interview. I imagine I didn't get an offer from simple lack of experience (I graduated college not too long ago). Their interview process is streamlined and efficient, and they were willing to fly me out even though I live in a different state. Working conditions there seemed somewhat rigorous, but Amazon expects a lot from their employees. Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a time when you failed at something."   View Answer