Amazon.com Software Development Engineer In Test Interview Questions

Updated Oct 3, 2014

3.5

48 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I got an interview through an employee referal. They reached out after about a month after my application. The two interviews were scheduled for the next few days so there was not a lot of time to prepare between being asked to interview and the interview itself. The interview consisted of two back to back technical 45 minute interviews over the phone. The interviewers were nice and helpful and understanding of my newbie status into computer science.

Interview Questions
  • -Few language specific questions on Java -- what are private/public/package, who can access variable and methods given one of these?
    -What is a hashtable, how would you implement one?
    -Binary trees/AVL trees, what can you tell me about them.
    -Given two texts, x and y, where x < y, check if all the characters of x are in y.
    -Given a string, find the longest repeating substring.
      Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

First interview was verbal at job fair. Questions involved properties about data structures/algorithms, such as hashing tables. Second interview was more technical, and was divided into two parts (two separate interviewers). It involved graph theory, and white-boarding in Java. Best help is to review something like Cracking the Code Interview beforehand.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in April 2014.

Got contacted by HR after the job fair, telling me to finish Online Test. After the test, about 2 weeks, I was told that they want to invite me to go to Seattle for the onsite interview.

On the onsite day, I talked with four 3 normal interviewers and 1 bar raiser. All the questions are based on CC book, except for the one given by the bar raiser. I did not do well in the second round and third round, which make me fail this opportunity. Due to the NDA, I cannot tell the problem. But, They were not hard. I had 4 problems: one is to solve dependency sequence, one is to solve logic problem (given a function which this to implement another function), one is to solve Tree maximum path problem, and one is to solve anagram problem.

Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Could make it through the first round, which had 3 tech questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

One online test , and One Phone screen

Interview Questions
    • Question 1:

Setup:
      Assume primitive Facebook. FB has Members.
      class Member {
          String name;
          String email;
          List<Member> friends;
      }
      Question A:
      Code printSocialGraph(Member m). Direct friends of m are Level 1 friends. Friends of friends are level 2 friends.....and so on
      Print level 1 friends first. Then print level 2 friends....and so on

Enumerate test cases to verify the implementation is correct.

Question 2:

Write a function that converts an int into its alpha-numeric equivalent represented as a null terminated string. The function should accept an int as input and return a string as output. For instance, calling the function with an int value of 324 would return a null terminated string containing "324". Ensure that your function checks for appropriate boundary conditions and edge cases. Assume you cannot use any standard libraries (for example, no itoa or sprintf).
      Write out test cases to verify your code is working correctly.

Question 3:

Let's say we're developing a vector graphics application. It will allow the user to create lines, rectangles, circles, text, etc. and manipulate them independently - move them, re-size them, etc. Design an object model for this application.
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2013.

I had interviewed specifically with Digital Products team. My overall experience was neutral. I had received a call from their HR recruiter as my resume was in their database and scheduled 1 hour phone and online coding interview. The interview was OK, I was asked reasonable questions and linked list-related coding. After that, I was requested another 1 hour online coding and phone interview with the same team. This interview extended into 2 hours of time, actually and interviewer was 10 minutes late. They asked me to design a deck for card game and were concerned mostly with optimization for retrieving the highest card in the deck at any time. After that, I was asked to come for in-person interview to Seattle. The pros were that Amazon paid for travel and stay in Seattle and for food as well, which is great even though travel was quite tiring... The cons of that interview, which lasted 4 hours and involved 5 time slots with 6 people total was high pressure and lack of diversity in engineering interviewers observed by me. I haven't heard back from the yet, so I don't know the outcome but I feel I need and must have a diverse environment to work in as non-US born female engineer, whatever the outcome is. The coding questions during the in-person interview were very similar in nature and are covered in any of the popular "Coding interview" type of books. There were also testing questions, of "how would you test" kind, say how would you test a high availability system with backend on the cloud, etc. Many detailed questions about past work experience. And some odd questions for this position, such as if you have retail experience, if you have management experience etc. Most interviewers appeared to be fresh out of college, with exception of the manager.

Interview Questions
    • Questions included: array where indexes correspond to the tree node number of a parent node, and values correspond to current tree node number., root having number -1 Write code to recreate a tree (binary tree, bnon-BST). Another question was: given an array of numbers including negative, print the highest sum of the continuous sequence you can find. Another one: difference between hashtable and hashmap, etc. Detailed performance test questions: load, stress, etc tests. Given than these definitions differ from company to company (I attest, as my parent heads performance engineering in large US defense company and this was discussed over and over)...why write down and question every detail from you response and pick on coefficients such as 1.5 versus 2, etc: this is quite nonsensical.   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Recent Grad. First: HR Phonecall asking past experience. Second: Phonecall by actual Engineer.

Interview Questions
    • Bit shifting in C. It is way simple but didn't refresh before inteview   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Applied the job through referral. Recruiter contacted me within a few days and scheduled phone screens very promptly. The first phone screen was with the hiring manager. He asked open ended technical questions for discussion and a coding question. Second phone screen was with a technical lead and the questions were more data structure oriented.

Interview Questions
    • How to troubleshoot when you fail to sign in your online chat/messenger program.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2013.

2 interviews

Interview Questions
    • Asked about my projects and professional experience, then 3 questions (in both the interviews)
      1. Design a Contact List
      2. Mode of a given list
      3.Given a binary tree. Find if there exists a path from root to leaf which sums up to a given number.
        View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2013.

Drop my resume to amazon career website. A month later, one recruiter asked me go directly onsite without phone interview. Onsite consist of a group project start from 10am to 5 pm and 1 round one on one interview. The interview is about how you design the project and how to validate your test case.

Interview Questions

I'm not very interesting in testing.