Amazon.com Software Development Engineer In Test Interview Questions

Updated Jul 1, 2015

3.5

Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

I got an interview through an employee referal. They reached out after about a month after my application. The two interviews were scheduled for the next few days so there was not a lot of time to prepare between being asked to interview and the interview itself. The interview consisted of two back to back technical 45 minute interviews over the phone. The interviewers were nice and helpful and understanding of my newbie status into computer science.

Interview Questions

• -Few language specific questions on Java -- what are private/public/package, who can access variable and methods given one of these? -What is a hashtable, how would you implement one? -Binary trees/AVL trees, what can you tell me about them. -Given two texts, x and y, where x < y, check if all the characters of x are in y. -Given a string, find the longest repeating substring.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

The recruiting manager at Amazon emailed me one day with a position in SDET at Amazon. The process begun with an online test. This test comprised of (as far as I remember) two programming questions, one section related to logical thinking. It wasn't too bad. After that, if they like you, they send an online assessment test. This consists a lot of questions that help them profile us as an individual and as a fit in their company. If they find us a good fit, they call us for an on site interview. In Seattle, we have a four round interview - of coding. They will not spare you. They are very straight forward about their problems and try to help you as you go. Prepare a lot, and dynamic data structures is the key!

Interview Questions

• About one dynamic structure   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com in December 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by an Amazon recruiter via email asking if I was interested in a job with them. I responded yes and there was an initial screening with him. After that I had a technical interview over the phone which was not overly difficult.

Interview Questions

• Since this was a testing interview and not full out development he had some testing terms I had never heard of these include: Equivalence Class Testing Pair Wise Combinatorial Testing Failure Mode Analysis the only one I heard of was: White Box vs Black Box testing The coding portion was not difficult the question was this Write a function that takes two lists of strings and return a list of Strings with all of the intersections of the strings ex: List1 = {"a","a","a", "b", "d"} List2 = {"a", "a", "c", "d"} expectedReturn={"a","a","d"} Also he asked what tests cases I would use to validate the function also he wanted to know the run time analysis of the function   3 Answers

Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Interview

Was contacted out of the blue to complete an online assessment. The assessment included two rather trivial programming problems to be solved in either C, C++ or Java. Following the programming problem was a 24-question logic assessment which was a bit challenging towards the end. Soon after completing the assessment, I was given a link to a personality/work-style assessment. Upon completion, I was told that I would be contacted within the next few days with information on the next steps in the process. I am currently waiting to hear from them.

Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Interview

First interview was verbal at job fair. Questions involved properties about data structures/algorithms, such as hashing tables. Second interview was more technical, and was divided into two parts (two separate interviewers). It involved graph theory, and white-boarding in Java. Best help is to review something like Cracking the Code Interview beforehand.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in April 2014.

Interview

Got contacted by HR after the job fair, telling me to finish Online Test. After the test, about 2 weeks, I was told that they want to invite me to go to Seattle for the onsite interview. On the onsite day, I talked with four 3 normal interviewers and 1 bar raiser. All the questions are based on CC book, except for the one given by the bar raiser. I did not do well in the second round and third round, which make me fail this opportunity. Due to the NDA, I cannot tell the problem. But, They were not hard. I had 4 problems: one is to solve dependency sequence, one is to solve logic problem (given a function which this to implement another function), one is to solve Tree maximum path problem, and one is to solve anagram problem.

Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Interview

Could make it through the first round, which had 3 tech questions.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in February 2014.

Interview

One online test , and One Phone screen

Interview Questions

• Question 1: Setup: Assume primitive Facebook. FB has Members. class Member { String name; String email; List<Member> friends; } Question A: Code printSocialGraph(Member m). Direct friends of m are Level 1 friends. Friends of friends are level 2 friends.....and so on Print level 1 friends first. Then print level 2 friends....and so on Enumerate test cases to verify the implementation is correct. Question 2: Write a function that converts an int into its alpha-numeric equivalent represented as a null terminated string. The function should accept an int as input and return a string as output. For instance, calling the function with an int value of 324 would return a null terminated string containing "324". Ensure that your function checks for appropriate boundary conditions and edge cases. Assume you cannot use any standard libraries (for example, no itoa or sprintf). Write out test cases to verify your code is working correctly. Question 3: Let's say we're developing a vector graphics application. It will allow the user to create lines, rectangles, circles, text, etc. and manipulate them independently - move them, re-size them, etc. Design an object model for this application.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in September 2013.

Interview

I had interviewed specifically with Digital Products team. My overall experience was neutral. I had received a call from their HR recruiter as my resume was in their database and scheduled 1 hour phone and online coding interview. The interview was OK, I was asked reasonable questions and linked list-related coding. After that, I was requested another 1 hour online coding and phone interview with the same team. This interview extended into 2 hours of time, actually and interviewer was 10 minutes late. They asked me to design a deck for card game and were concerned mostly with optimization for retrieving the highest card in the deck at any time. After that, I was asked to come for in-person interview to Seattle. The pros were that Amazon paid for travel and stay in Seattle and for food as well, which is great even though travel was quite tiring... The cons of that interview, which lasted 4 hours and involved 5 time slots with 6 people total was high pressure and lack of diversity in engineering interviewers observed by me. I haven't heard back from the yet, so I don't know the outcome but I feel I need and must have a diverse environment to work in as non-US born female engineer, whatever the outcome is. The coding questions during the in-person interview were very similar in nature and are covered in any of the popular "Coding interview" type of books. There were also testing questions, of "how would you test" kind, say how would you test a high availability system with backend on the cloud, etc. Many detailed questions about past work experience. And some odd questions for this position, such as if you have retail experience, if you have management experience etc. Most interviewers appeared to be fresh out of college, with exception of the manager.

Interview Questions

• Questions included: array where indexes correspond to the tree node number of a parent node, and values correspond to current tree node number., root having number -1 Write code to recreate a tree (binary tree, bnon-BST). Another question was: given an array of numbers including negative, print the highest sum of the continuous sequence you can find. Another one: difference between hashtable and hashmap, etc. Detailed performance test questions: load, stress, etc tests. Given than these definitions differ from company to company (I attest, as my parent heads performance engineering in large US defense company and this was discussed over and over)...why write down and question every detail from you response and pick on coefficients such as 1.5 versus 2, etc: this is quite nonsensical.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Recent Grad. First: HR Phonecall asking past experience. Second: Phonecall by actual Engineer.

Interview Questions

• Bit shifting in C. It is way simple but didn't refresh before inteview   Answer Question