Amazon.com

Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Development Engineer Interview

Software Development Engineer
Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2014.

Interview Details – The entire process was very enjoyable for me. Before the interview, I was informed on the topics they would ask so I could better prepare myself for it. I had back-to-back interviews with 45 minutes each. The interview didn't delve too much into my past experience and just went straight to the technical questions. I answered 2 questions for each interview. The questions were about data structures and algorithms, if you know the Cracking book pretty well then it should be no problem. The interviewers were nice and guided me with the right directions to answer the questions. I was given an offer a week later and was provided with very detailed information about the internship. Overall it was a very positive interviewing experience for me.

Interview Question – Very expected questions. For every question, you are expected to explain your approach, step through conceptually, and then write the code, step through the code, and clean up the code. Although questions are not the most difficult, you need to be very accurate and precise with your thought process and code.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in December 2013.

Interview Details – Got the interview through a college career fair. Two back-to-back phone interviews with different people, each one 45 minutes.Both interviews were technical and required coding online. About 2 weeks after the phone interviews, I got an email from the recruiter extending an offer. They gave me about 2 weeks to respond to the official offer.

Interview Question – -Write a method to convert an integer into a roman numeral string
-Design a class for a deck of cards
  Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2013.

Interview Details – Applied through my University Career portal and was interviewed on campus. Two interviewers both were nice and were from software engineering background. Basic interview questions on resume and projects. Then onto some programming.

Interview Questions

• Given nxn grid with some squares that are impassable discuss an algorithm to find a path from start to goal.   Answer Question
  • Given an array of unsorted integer values define a method that determines repeats within the array. Can you optimize your algorithm for space /time.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details – I had two or three phone interviews and went to the local office that was hiring to do a four hour in-person interview. Phone interviews consisted of technical questions and in-person interview consisted of technical and personal questions.

Interview Question – technical questions were pretty easy   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online at Amazon careers website. Received an email invitation for 2 phone interviews back to back.

Phone 1: Some initial theory questions about Java and BSTs. Then asked a question to find all the paths from root to leaf that sum up to a given number.

Phone 2: Detailed discussion related to my projects. Asked few OS related questions. Asked about removing duplicates from an array. Sum of elements of an array equal to a given number with variations.

Interview Question – The questions were quite expected. I encourage interviewees to keep their calm and everything will go fine.   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Interview Details – I was selected after their on-campus visit. The interview was also held on campus. Interviewed with 2 people for 45 mins each.
First interviewer: 1) In an array, all numbers appear odd number of times except one. Identify it. Optimize.
2) Implement a cache and write code for it.
3) What is virtual memory? What types of scheduling are you aware of?

Interview Question – Given a 3x3 keypad with ABC on number 2, DEF on number 3 and so on. Given a set of numbers, output all the english words that can be obtained from it. Assume an in-built function exists to check if the given word is an english word or not.
Eg: inuput: 228, output: bat, cat, act and so on.
  Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Software Development Engineer Intern

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

Interview Details – My phone interview for Software Development Engineer Intern at Amazon.com was my first phone interview ever. It was a very interesting experience. There were two rounds of interviewing, each lasting 45 minutes each and all the questions asked were purely technical.

Interview Question – Connect 4 implementation.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details – Applied online in January 2014 and received a call to set up an interview within a week. I had two 45 mins technical interviews. I was asked to code on a shared editor to solve some simple problems. Nothing unexpected, questions were like the ones that everyone comes across in technical interviews.

Interview Question – I would like to respect the NDA   Answer Question

Madison, WI

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online in January and after 2 month when Amazon hosted a career fair on our campus, got selected for back to back 90 mins interview. 45 mins with each interviewer. Questions are standard questions. If you do problems on UVA online judge, Topcoder or Hackerrank regularly, these type of interview questions should be fairly straightforward to answer.

Also, as many other big tech companies, just solving the problem is not enough. It's also important that you make sure your thought can be understood by others. Explaining how you come up with a solution with clarity is much more important that just solving all of the problems without saying how you did it.

There are four questions. 1 focus on math, 1 on building trees, 1 on linkedlist and 1 on string manipulation
As always, make sure you also understand the complexity and performance of you solution.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. But I think the final offer (final salary) also depends on your performance during the interview.

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details – I had a contact in the company. The person forwarded my resume to his manager and a few days later HR person contacted me for schedules. Two phone interviews were scheduled. Each was 1 hour. One interviewer told me that the company would invite me for on-site if I did well on the phone interviews, but I screwed the interviews up. :(

Interview Question – I was asked to give a scalable system design of Amazon.com's order number generation service.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Amazon.com

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!

Amazon.com Videos

Amazon.com – Why Work for Us?

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amazon.com Software Development Engineer Intern interview questions and advice. All 205 interview reviews posted anonymously by Amazon.com employees and interview candidates.