Amazon.com

Getting the Interview

193 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Seattle, WA

I applied online - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Interview Details – Had two back to back interviews. Take process takes lot of time. After 2 weeks got a mail for a third interview. Scheduled the third interview but had to postpone it. After that they said summer intake is complete you will be considered for fall. Scheduled the third interview last week. Was asked to make combinations of word from a phone number
eg 1-800-222-2342 then 222 can be cab ,etc. Completed it in 45 minutes still got a reject.

Interview Question – N th element in a binary tree.
Mirror Image of a Binary tree
Queue using stacks.
Garage class model.
  Answer Question

Software Development Engineer INTERN Interview

Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – I applied twice, once in early October and once in late October, and I talked to them at a career fair in between those two dates. I did not get an email until the night of December 3rd, which invited me to interview on December 5th. Usually companies will invite you to choose a specific date that fit your schedule so I found it a little rude for them to schedule an interview less than 48 hours away. Luckily I was free at that time, but I did not have a positive image of the process. The two interviews were going to be back to back 45 min phone interviews that started on the hour, so 15 min break in between.

Interview Question – write a function that takes in an int and returns a string that would be how one would say that number (ex: 123 -> one hundred twenty three; 50019 -> five thousand nineteen).   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Interview Details – At first, the RH team of Amazon contacted me to make an appointment for two phone interviews of 45min each with 15min break.
The interviews were technical interviews about Collections and Binary Search Trees. I had to implement a program in each interview about those topics.
In the first I had to write a method, using the website http://collabedit.com/ , that receives an integer and returns a string. That is an example:
brackets(0) = {} // no return
brackets(1) = { () } // returns a string with “()”
brackets(2) = { (()), ()() }
brackets(3) = { ((())), (()()), (())(), ()(()), ()()() }
In the second I had to discourse about Trees and to know how to implement one.
That was all that happened!

Interview Question – To discourse about Trees.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – Submitted resume online, got contacted in a around a month and was asked to a phone interview within a couple days. Completed two phone interviews, thought they went well, but was contacted nearly two weeks later that I was not accepted.

Interview Question – An optimal algorithm to check whether a hand of cards was a full house (in Poker) or not.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online from their career website. Got a reply after 3 to 4 weeks. There were 2 back to back 45 minutes interviews with a 15 mins break in between. Both were technical and focused on Data Structures.
In the first interview the interviewer asked me about my projects, why I got into this field and why I applied for this position and then asked the main programming question. The second interview was also more or less the same.

Interview Question – 1. Implement a hashset from scratch, write code for various methods of hashset.
2. Find all the pairs of numbers from a list that sums to a particular number.
  View Answer

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in December 2013.

The first interviewer was very friendly and easy to talk to. There was a small chat about my resume and the technical question (through collabedit) was to write a function that takes in an int and returns a string that would be how one would say that number (ex: 123 -> one hundred twenty three; 50019 -> five thousand nineteen). At the end I asked her a couple questions about her work and then prepared myself for the next interview.

The second interviewer was even friendlier and nicer and asked more conceptual questions, but they were much easier than I expected. First question was tell me what you know about recursion. Then he asked me to code a function that returned the max integer in an array (no joke). Then a couple questions on sorting algorithms and how I would keep track of duplicates in an array, and how I would keep track of the indeces of duplicates in an array (hashset, hashmap).

Side note: the interviewers will take screenshots of your code as you type to track your progress.

After the interviews, I heard back 2.5 weeks later saying I had gotten the offer. I believe the your interviewers are from the teams that you are interviewing for. Overall, I was happy with my interviews, but very displeased with the recruiters. My recruiter still takes forever to respond to my emails.

West Lafayette, IN

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied in university career fair, a week later got an email to schedule on campus interview. Had the interview a couple weeks later, 45 minute interviews back to back with two software engineers.
Although the email indicates you should study databases, operating systems etc., the majority of the questions are on data structures and algorithms. Lots of linked lists, hash maps, binary trees etc.
Got acceptence email a week later.

Interview Question – There are a lot of questions that can be solved by arrays, sorting can be done in O(nlogn)... but they are looking for more than just correct answers, having an answer with a high time / space complexity won't help you.
There was a tough question about linked lists with next and arbitrary pointers.
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, standard intern payment

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – Applied at school job fair as well as online. Received an email asking for a response and was scheduled to do an interview the next day. Two 45 min interviews on campus. Asked me a few behavioral questions based off my programming projects. Interviewers were very friendly and I had a good time talking to them.

Interview Question – First question was to find all numbers that occurred an odd-number of times in an array and second question was implement a stack that could return the largest number in the stack at anytime.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied through their website in late November. Received an email from a recruiter in early February to set up two 45 minute back to back interviews. Was only given two time options on the same day (four days from receipt of the email). The interviews were almost entirely technical, consisting of questions about data structures and the Big O of their inserts, removes, indexing etc. Then a coding question where they give you a prompt and you solve it through CollabEdit. They watch everything you type, and you're supposed to talk through your logic as well. Then they ask the Big O of your solution, then they ask if you can think of any ways you can make your solution get a better Big O.

One of my interviewers was somewhat rude when he asked me questions about things I hadn't learned in school yet. The other interviewer was VERY nice and friendly, but he seemed unprepared.

I emailed my recruiter two weeks later thanking him and asking for an update. Received an email less than an hour later that seemed very positive, saying they were hoping to get back to me soon and asking if I could extend any other offer deadlines. Received the 'thanks-but-no-thanks' email two weeks after that (4 total weeks after my interview). I had already received and accepted a generous offer from another company by that time. The slow hiring process is ridiculous and irritating for students who are interviewing with multiple companies. I interviewed with two companies after my interview with Amazon and received offers from both before Amazon got back to me.

Interview Question – The questions were pretty simple and straightforward.
- Make a function to test whether a number is a binary palindrome.
- Make a hotdog ordering system.
- another that I can't remember.
  Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Interview Details – Interviewed at Campus for SDE Intern position.
2 back to back in-person interviews.

Basic concepts of ArrayList, LinkedList. Brief discussion on projects.
One thing that I want to change in Amazon's website (any of them).
Asked to code all factors of a number, check if a given word is valid in a given dictionary. If not, try jumbling and see if it can be rearranged to a valid word.

Basic concepts of heaps, BT, BST etc.
Asked to code k-merge algorithm for linked lists, check if BT is a BST.

Overall pretty standard questions.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Amazon.com

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!

Amazon.com Videos

Amazon.com – Why Work for Us?

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amazon.com Software Development Engineer Intern interview questions and advice. All 193 interview reviews posted anonymously by Amazon.com employees and interview candidates.