Amazon.com

Very Difficult Interview

Software Development Engineering Intern Interview

Software Development Engineering Intern
Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2012.

Interview Details – A friend of mine submitted my resume to a hiring manager and I got a phone call about a week later to set up a phone interview. The phone interview involved two different people, both of whom went straight into the technical questioning. There was none of the typical interview banter or "what's your greatest weakness" sort of vagueness. The second guy didn't even have inflection in his voice. He was just a cold, hard, questioning robot... creepy!

About halfway through the phone call I was asked to sit down at my computer and log on to a website where the interviewer watched me write some code to solve a problem he'd specified (printing a series of numbers to a console in a spiral pattern). It was a bit difficult since every time I stopped to think he'd ask me what I was thinking. After several minutes of thinking out loud and typing nervously I managed to complete the problem.

After the online portion of the interview, I was given homework (see "Most Difficult or Unexpected Question"), and told to submit it to them by the end of the day! I had a hot date with tickets to a show that evening, but as the hours went by it became clear that I was going to have to cancel to work on the interview problem. Frustrated and bitter, I resigned to submit what I had by midnight along with documentation on the missing aspects of my solution.

A few days went by and I heard nothing. I still had some questions about the internship that I didn't have a chance to ask over the phone, so I e-mailed my recruiter. She replied the next day with a form letter telling me that they'd decided to pursue other candidates.

Interview Question – Recreate the StringBuilder class in C++ from the ground up.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Software Development Engineer Intern

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

Interview Details – My phone interview for Software Development Engineer Intern at Amazon.com was my first phone interview ever. It was a very interesting experience. There were two rounds of interviewing, each lasting 45 minutes each and all the questions asked were purely technical.

Interview Question – Connect 4 implementation.   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Interview Details – I was selected after their on-campus visit. The interview was also held on campus. Interviewed with 2 people for 45 mins each.
First interviewer: 1) In an array, all numbers appear odd number of times except one. Identify it. Optimize.
2) Implement a cache and write code for it.
3) What is virtual memory? What types of scheduling are you aware of?

Interview Question – Given a 3x3 keypad with ABC on number 2, DEF on number 3 and so on. Given a set of numbers, output all the english words that can be obtained from it. Assume an in-built function exists to check if the given word is an english word or not.
Eg: inuput: 228, output: bat, cat, act and so on.
  Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Software Developer Engineering Intern Interview

Software Developer Engineering Intern
Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2010.

Interview Details – Got the interview after meeting with Amazon's representatives at a career fair at my university. The representative at the booth asked me some technical questions about what I would do to scale a large system. Next, I was emailed an offer for an interview for a summer internship. I met with two interviewers about one week later. The first interview asked questions about some of my side projects, and I was asked to solve a few problems on a piece of paper: convert a relative path to an absolute path in linear time. I then met with another interviewer who was an alum of my university, and she asked me how I liked a few classes I was taking that she also took as a student. She asked a question about finding all of the non-concentric palindromes in a string. I came up with a bad n^3 solution, and she mentioned that it was possible in linear time. Our interview came to a close, and about an hour later, I realized the solution and emailed it to her. Got an offer about one week later! Really fun summer internship.

Interview Question – Find all of the non-concentric palindromes in a string. Do so in linear time.   View Answer

Intern Software Development Engineer Interview

Intern Software Development Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2013.

Interview Details – Initially had two phone interviews back to back. Each interview lasted an hour and a half with a fifteen minute break in between. Then had a third phone interview about one week later. The interviews were technical in nature. Interview focused on object oriented programming, data structures, and complexity analysis.

Interview Questions

• given an array of nonnegative integers and the size of the array, within the array every number except one number appears an even number of times, the other is appears an odd number of times, write a function to return the number that appears an odd number of times.   View Answer
  • Write an iterative Fibonacci function   View Answers (2)
  • Implement an algorithm to find the 3rd to last element of a singly linked list of unknown size   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2010.

Interview Details – I applied by dropping off my resume at a career fair at my university. They asked me a few general programming-related questions at the booth (they took notes on the back of the resume). I got an email a few days later inviting me to an interview. It was two hours long and consisted of two 1:1 interviews; one was with a manager and the other with a software engineer. In both I was asked to write code to solve various problems.

Interview Question – What is your favorite thing about programming?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It is possible to negotiate time off in the middle of the internship, so long as you complete the required 12 weeks.

Tucson, AZ

Interview Details – Was contacted for 2 rounds of phone interview.The questions were based on tree.

Interview Questions

Amherst, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2013.

Interview Details – I applied when Amazon came on campus. I was contacted by a recruiter about a week later to set up interviews. The interview process involved 2 telephonic interviews. I was informed that I would have to give another interview after the first 2 interviews.

Interview Question – The questions were mostly on Data Structures and Algorithms. The interviewers also asked questions about my projects.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Interview Details – Had two back to back interviews. Take process takes lot of time. After 2 weeks got a mail for a third interview. Scheduled the third interview but had to postpone it. After that they said summer intake is complete you will be considered for fall. Scheduled the third interview last week. Was asked to make combinations of word from a phone number
eg 1-800-222-2342 then 222 can be cab ,etc. Completed it in 45 minutes still got a reject.

Interview Question – N th element in a binary tree.
Mirror Image of a Binary tree
Queue using stacks.
Garage class model.
  Answer Question

Software Developer Engineer Intern Interview

Software Developer Engineer Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – It was a phone interview which had 2 back to back rounds and it was more about data structures, trees and graphs. Although the question was simple all they wanted was the more efficient one.

Interview Question – The most difficult part was the most efficient algorithm   Answer Question

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!