Amazon.com

Amazon.com Software Development Engineer Intern Interview Questions

3.2

203 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Two rounds of interviews. They speak algorithms and complexities.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I applied in career fair, got a call from HR in one month. I was asked for 2 interview slots. Interview questions were kind of easy, but I screwed it.

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Amazon held a tech-talk on campus, which I attended. Afterwards, there were recruiters collecting resumes. I gave the recruiter my resume and waited to hear back. I heard back about one month later, and scheduled an on-campus interview.

There were two back-to-back 45 minute interviews, which both involved coding with a pen and paper. During the first interview, we talked a bit about my resume, then got into some tech questions. Nothing too difficult, just practice what you learned in class. Bit-shifting and data structures, mostly. Also, KNOW YOUR TIME/SPACE COMPLEXITIES. Seriously. Before you offer a solution, know what its time/space complexity is, because they will ask for it. Lastly, there was a general logic question, which I didn't have time to answer, but I emailed the interviewer the answer later. Then, I was able to ask the interviewer some questions. The second interview wasn't very hard, just two slightly longer questions. The solutions weren't difficult, but they had a lot of corner cases that you needed to watch out for. Be very cogniscent of that: If a question seems really easy, watch for corner cases. After that, same story, asked the interviewer some questions. Got the offer four days after the interview.

Some tips/notes:

1) Be yourself! Be friendly and nice. Don't be afraid to make a joke. Don't be awkward or nervous. Just relax. You've got this. It's very important to be well-spoken.

2) Know your time/space complexities.

3) Go over your data structures. Know them better than you know yourself.

4) Watch for corner cases.

5) If you slip up, just explain yourself and your mistake. They'll understand, we all do it.

6) Be VERY vocal about what you're thinking about. They care about how you arrive at the answer.

7) If they give you a question that you have heard before, tell them. They appreciate the honesty, and then you get a chance to talk a bit about the answer. I was given one question that I already knew the answer to, I simply told the interviewer that I was already familiar with this question, and gave him my solution. We talked about it, and then I was asked to come up with a different solution to the same problem.

8) Probably not something to stress about, but it probably helps to dress nice. Nothing amazing, I just wore a button-up and nice jeans. The point is, don't show up in a T-shirt and daisy dukes, or something. Dress like you care. You should care, after all.

9) If you've got an interview scheduled and you're reading this, like I was reading all of these before mine, you're probably stressing out like I was. Just calm down. Relax. Everything is going to be okay. You got the interview because they saw something in you. YOU'RE GOING TO DO FANTASTIC. I believe in you.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was too difficult. Bit-shifting, data structures, efficiency.   Answer Question
    Internship, no negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Amazon.com.

2 Rounds of interview. Both telephonic.
    Round1:
     (Q1) Asked to write code to merge 2 sorted arrays.Walk through an example.
     (Q2) Asked to reverse a linked list witout using external memory. Wrote code using 3 pointers. He asked me to walk through an example.
    Round2:
     (Q1) Asked about OOP concepts with a real world example for each principle.
     (Q2) Asked about merge sort vs Quick sort / time complexities /when to use which.
     (Q3) Asked me write code about to check whether tree is symmetric.

Interview Questions
    • Was confused abit about TREE SYMMETRIC question. He was expecting a recursive solution. But explained him a solution using tree inorder/preorder/postorder traversals. Explained him, and wrote code for different traversals and some functions to integrate all.
      Finally he seems convincing with my approach and solution.

Answer Question
    No negotiations.

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

selected for the phone call interview. two back to back phone interviews of 45 minutes each on single day with 15 minutes break. questions based on hashing, algorithms, c ,c++

Software Developer Engineer Intern Interview

Was two 40 minute phone calls, one after another. They were both pretty easy. The hardest question I got was an inane one relating to binary arithmetic, other than that question, drill your OOD, and algorithms and you'll do great

Interview Questions
    • How do you check if the 5th bit is a 1 in a binary number   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I submitted my resume online, and after a couple weeks, I got an email from a recruiter requesting an interview. It was phone call with coding questions on a collaborative editing site, and I was asked three or four programming questions. They generally involved knowing how to modify a common algorithm to solve a slightly unusual problem.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember the question specifically, but it involved memoization.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Write a program to find whether a word is anagram or not

Interview Questions
    • X==NULL and NULL==x, what is the difference   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I had a friend from my school refer me to the company, and a recruiter reached out to me approximately a week later. She set up two 45-minute phone interviews, with a 10-minute break in between, which were conducted by two Software Development Engineers within the same team. (Normally, at least one team shows interest in your application and decides to interview you for a position within the same group.)

Interview Questions
    • Write a function to determine if a tree is a BST.   View Answer
    I did not negotiate. The rate was competitive and very generous.

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Campus Interview

Interview Questions
    • Simple linked list implementation problems, questions on data structures (hash-maps, etc.), asked to code binary search tree solution to a problem (i can't quite remember the question exactly)   Answer Question