Amazon.com Software Development Engineer Intern Interview Questions

3.2

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Interview

Got the interview from AWS team. 2 back-to-back 45 mins interview.
First interviewer(an indian engineer with terrible accent) asked me a classical Top K question, gave him a solution literally in a minute. However the solution needs a max-heap, commonly just use its api but this time he asked me to implement all, got quite unexpected here, it took me almost 30 mins to finish it. At last I asked question about openstack, unexpectedly he didn't know a thing about it.
Second round was about string anagrams, still gave him a solution very fast(hash table, O(n) time and O(1) space), it is the best solution. After this talked about my current project, I guess this is where I blew the intern opportunity cause I said it is totally boring :-/ .
Two interviewers were not nice, sometimes felt quite unpleasant. The HR really didn't respond any of my question and email, and I was told no offer a week later.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

Applied in December. Interviewed in January. Two phone interviews where I was asked to code in collabedit.com. Was asked three questions in total. The interviewers were very warm and friendly.

First interview: Asked about time complexity of Hashmaps, Linked List and arrays. Implementation of Hashmaps etc.
    Given a list of numbers, determine which numbers occur with odd frequencies.
    Optimize my code

Second interview: Asked to implement the game Fuzz buzz

Interview Questions

• Given a mathematical expression, what data structure would you use to evaluate the expression?
      How would you design the above question to use Trees/Graphs.

1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

Applied via college career fair. Was selected for an oncampus interview. There were two rounds of 45 mins each. Both technical. There were questions mostly related to data structures thrown at me. For example sort a linked list in place, sort a string in place. String question - Example "HELLO WORLD" output- "OLLEH DLROW".

Interview Questions

• Find top 10 occurring words in a page.   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Interview

Interviewed on campus. First guy was very unprofessional. Was laughing half the time I was answering his questions. He at one time made a snide remark directly at me, I almost just walked out the room. I first asked him if he was comfortable with the language I chose, but I had to constantly stop and explain to him the simplest syntax and functions.

Second guy was very professional. Straight and direct, seemed very robotic.

Very disappointed with the interview process. Do not see myself working in this type of environment.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in March 2014.

Interview

A month after my online application through my schools job board I received an email to set up phone interviews. I had to choose my preferred time blocks for each day. Two 45 minute sessions back to back over the phone.

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Interview

Interviewed at Campus for SDE Intern position.
    2 back to back in-person interviews.

Basic concepts of ArrayList, LinkedList. Brief discussion on projects.
    One thing that I want to change in Amazon's website (any of them).
    Asked to code all factors of a number, check if a given word is valid in a given dictionary. If not, try jumbling and see if it can be rearranged to a valid word.

Basic concepts of heaps, BT, BST etc.
    Asked to code k-merge algorithm for linked lists, check if BT is a BST.

Overall pretty standard questions.

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

The recruiter first sent an e-mail to arrange a time slot for the interview at about 6 days prior to the interview date. The interview was a back-to-back interview, each of which is 45 minutes. The interviewer all asked about technical questions, no personal question. The last 5 minutes of the interview were left for me to ask questions about the company.

Interview Questions

• The most unexpected question for me was about networking:
      Given two IP addresses and one subnet mask as input (All are string data type), write a function to determine whether the two IP addresses are in the same subnet.

Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

Had two phone interviews, 15 minutes apart from each other. They both went well and the questions weren't that hard. They have you use collabedit.com or something like that to do pair programming.

Interview Questions

• Take two arrays of values and find the intersection between them. Most efficient way. Recursive functions.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

Apply online around mid Jan. Been notified for on campus interview at end of Jan. Scheduled interview at mid Feb. Two 45 mins back to back interviews with two Amazon employees. Pure technical interviews. Only talked a little bit about my project. As to interview questions, there are there questions in total. Focus on data structures and algorithms, as well as OO design. No hard questions though.

Interview Questions

• Find all black regions on image, flood algorithm. OO design a address book.   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Interview

2 phone interviews back to back. Really smooth process and got a response back quickly!

Interview Questions

• Sometimes the interviewer would not talk, but it is to let you do all the talking.   Answer Question