Amazon.com Software Development Engineer Intern Interview Questions

3.2

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

Two phone interviews. Relatively easy questions related to data structures, algorithms, OOP concepts as mentioned in the recruiter's email. Nothing too surprisingly or out of the ordinary.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Software Developer Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

It was a phone interview which had 2 back to back rounds and it was more about data structures, trees and graphs. Although the question was simple all they wanted was the more efficient one.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult part was the most efficient algorithm   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Madison, WI) in February 2014.

Interview

Applied online in January and after 2 month when Amazon hosted a career fair on our campus, got selected for back to back 90 mins interview. 45 mins with each interviewer. Questions are standard questions. If you do problems on UVA online judge, Topcoder or Hackerrank regularly, these type of interview questions should be fairly straightforward to answer. Also, as many other big tech companies, just solving the problem is not enough. It's also important that you make sure your thought can be understood by others. Explaining how you come up with a solution with clarity is much more important that just solving all of the problems without saying how you did it. There are four questions. 1 focus on math, 1 on building trees, 1 on linkedlist and 1 on string manipulation As always, make sure you also understand the complexity and performance of you solution.

Negotiation

No negotiation. But I think the final offer (final salary) also depends on your performance during the interview.

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

Applied through Career Fair and was called for on-campus interview. There were 2 rounds. Both of them were technical. They asked a total of 4 questions. Each interview lasted for about an hour roughly. In both the rounds, the interviewers asked couple of question related to my resume and then moved onto technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected or out of the blue. The question topic included Linked List, Binary Search Tree, HashMap and Bit Manipulation. Although tricky, questions were doable in given amount of time   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in February 2014.

Interview

Applied through their website in late November. Received an email from a recruiter in early February to set up two 45 minute back to back interviews. Was only given two time options on the same day (four days from receipt of the email). The interviews were almost entirely technical, consisting of questions about data structures and the Big O of their inserts, removes, indexing etc. Then a coding question where they give you a prompt and you solve it through CollabEdit. They watch everything you type, and you're supposed to talk through your logic as well. Then they ask the Big O of your solution, then they ask if you can think of any ways you can make your solution get a better Big O. One of my interviewers was somewhat rude when he asked me questions about things I hadn't learned in school yet. The other interviewer was VERY nice and friendly, but he seemed unprepared. I emailed my recruiter two weeks later thanking him and asking for an update. Received an email less than an hour later that seemed very positive, saying they were hoping to get back to me soon and asking if I could extend any other offer deadlines. Received the 'thanks-but-no-thanks' email two weeks after that (4 total weeks after my interview). I had already received and accepted a generous offer from another company by that time. The slow hiring process is ridiculous and irritating for students who are interviewing with multiple companies. I interviewed with two companies after my interview with Amazon and received offers from both before Amazon got back to me.

Interview Questions

• The questions were pretty simple and straightforward. - Make a function to test whether a number is a binary palindrome. - Make a hotdog ordering system. - another that I can't remember.   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Interview

I applied online from their career website. Got a reply after 3 to 4 weeks. There were 2 back to back 45 minutes interviews with a 15 mins break in between. Both were technical and focused on Data Structures. In the first interview the interviewer asked me about my projects, why I got into this field and why I applied for this position and then asked the main programming question. The second interview was also more or less the same.

Interview Questions

• 1. Implement a hashset from scratch, write code for various methods of hashset. 2. Find all the pairs of numbers from a list that sums to a particular number.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in February 2014.

Interview

Had two back to back interviews. Take process takes lot of time. After 2 weeks got a mail for a third interview. Scheduled the third interview but had to postpone it. After that they said summer intake is complete you will be considered for fall. Scheduled the third interview last week. Was asked to make combinations of word from a phone number eg 1-800-222-2342 then 222 can be cab ,etc. Completed it in 45 minutes still got a reject.

Interview Questions

• N th element in a binary tree. Mirror Image of a Binary tree Queue using stacks. Garage class model.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

I was selected after their on-campus visit. The interview was also held on campus. Interviewed with 2 people for 45 mins each. First interviewer: 1) In an array, all numbers appear odd number of times except one. Identify it. Optimize. 2) Implement a cache and write code for it. 3) What is virtual memory? What types of scheduling are you aware of?

Interview Questions

• Given a 3x3 keypad with ABC on number 2, DEF on number 3 and so on. Given a set of numbers, output all the english words that can be obtained from it. Assume an in-built function exists to check if the given word is an english word or not. Eg: inuput: 228, output: bat, cat, act and so on.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in February 2014.

Interview

2 rounds of phone interview. Decision in 2.5 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Implement a stack that supports push, pop and mode(the one from statistics) operation. Gave an O(log n ) push and pop and O(1) mode operation.Another good question was implement atoi function. I assumed it as base 10 but was asked to support from binary to any base numbers(even base 50).   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Buffalo, NY) in February 2014.

Interview

Had applied online on Feb 1st, interviewed on Feb 13th. Had two 45 minutes telephone interviews. I did not get a mail for almost 3 weeks at which point I emailed them asking for status, they replied a day later saying they'll get back to me soon and by the end of that day I got an acceptance mail.

Interview Questions

• The questions were straight forward, a linked list question, a string question and an algorithm question, no surprises just standard questions. The first interviewer had me write code in C++, the second one said he did not care very much about syntax.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate because it was an intern position and the compensation was good anyway.