Amazon.com

Getting the Interview

193 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

Interview Details – I got an internal referral, and they reached out to me on Dec 30. We had two 45 minutes, back to back phone interviews on Jan 8. The interviews are all about technical questions. It seems they do not care about your experience on the resume at all, which is a bit depressing. Anyway, I finally got my offer on Jan 30.

The first interviewer was very nice, the questions are very basic: something like Fibonacci and 2 sum. The second interviewer was a senior. He asked about card shuffling and other conceptual stuff.

Interview Question – The questions are pretty regular, but the second interviewer suppressed my proposals and made me think in his approach. We kind of had some conflict, but I have to admit his algorithm is easier to implement.

Remember: do not try to be a smart ass in front of your interviewer.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Tried to go to the search team but the recruiter said it's full.

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

Interview Details – Had applied online around end of December 2013 through their careers site. Got a call in 2 weeks to schedule an interview in coming 2-3 days. It was a simple process - two 45 min back-to-back interviews and that's it! Both the interviews had same format - few questions and then a coding problem. The questions were quite simple - included data structures, coding problems and OOP concepts. They also asked a couple of questions about design patterns. Everything pretty straightforward. Got to know about the result in about 2 weeks from the interview.

Interview Question – Pretty simple questions on basic data structures, OOP and a couple of coding problems.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – Amazon interviews its interns by having two, 45-minute conversations. If both you're interviewers say yes, then you're in. Otherwise, you get a third shot. You need two out of three interviewers to agree in order to hire you.

Interview Question – They asked standard data structure questions. For example, search times and design decisions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There isn't much negotiating as an incoming intern. But the offer is very reasonable so I didn't feel the need to negotiate.

Syracuse, NY

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online in their careers section and I got a mail after 10 days. I was asked to select a date and time for the telephonic interview.
The day arrived and with little preparation I was ready for it. There were two back-to-back 45 minutes interviews with a 15 min break in between.

First round:
The questions were:-
1) Reverse a string
2) Print multiplication tables from 1 to 12
3)Print a grid of the form
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
2 4 6 8 10 12 14 16 18 20 22 24
3 6 9 12 15 18 21 27 27 30 33 36

The questions were really easy but I was a bit tensed and messed up with the c++ syntax. When you know many languages syntax will trouble you. By the time I was done with those questions time's up and I got a couple of minutes to ask any questions.
The interviewer used some online text editor collaboration tool.

Second Round:
This was a bit difficult. The question is to generate sample math problems(additions) for a 8th grade student and the results should be stored in such a way that they can be printed when required. Sample problem is 7+8=_____
The constraints are:-
1) The numbers that are to be added should be <=9
2) The result should be <=17

The interviewer used google docs in this round.

Interview Question – Second Round:
The constraints are:-
1) The numbers that are to be added should be <=9
2) The result should be <=17
  View Answers (2)

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – Started an application online, didnt finish it. Several weeks after I forgot about it, I get an email requesting phone interviews. Finish and submit the application, set up the interviews, about a week and a half after the interview, I found out the verdict.
Interviews were 2 back to back 45 minute technical interviews. Didn't ask much about my background or qualifications, just why I wanted to work there and the most interesting thing I worked on.

Interview Questions

• given a node in a binary search tree, find the next highest value (in-order successor) assuming that the nodes have a parent link   View Answers (2)
  • given the root of a binary search tree, return an array of the values in order   Answer Question
  • write a function to determine if a number is a palindrome   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Intern position so no negotiation but overall a pretty sweet deal

Gainesville, FL

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

Interview Details – Two telephone back to back interview each of 45 minutes.I was expecting first easy questions but I got recursion problem to solve.

Second interview was easy.He asked me about my projects and java questions such as
If you want to design arraylist class how will you design and which collection will you use. Explain.
difference between ArrayList,LinkedList and Array.

and one programming interview questiion:

Write a method to find the one number that occurs an odd number of times in an array.

Interview Question – You have been given an matrix of characters 5*5 which contains 24 elements a..y
  the matrix will look something like
   a b c d e
   f g h i j
   k l m n o
   p q r s t
   u v w x y

You have been given alpha (starting character) and beta (Ending character) as two characters.
You have to find all shortest paths between alpha and beta with a restriction that you are allowed to move
vertical or horizontal.
  View Answer

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – went through two phone interviews,

Interview Question – one question is to find a path in a maze   View Answer

Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – I was referred by a friend. I got an email from them a week later asking me to select a date for 2 back to back 45 minutes interview

Interview Question – I was asked two questions - how will you know which is the starting point in a circular linked list (write a program) and write a program to return two numbers from a function to the main   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – I applied online at Amazon Careers. The whole process took about a month and a half.

I was contacted by someone on the recruiting team about a month after submitted my online application. I got scheduled for two phone interviews on the same day. Both were technical interviews. The first one focused on algorithms while the second one focused on data structures and object-oriented programming.

I got a rejection e-mail from my recruiter 2 weeks later.

Interview Question – Write a function to remove all redundant characters in a given string.   View Answers (3)

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details – The interview had a decent amount of difficulty but was designed to be completed in the time provided. I had three interviews, two of which were back-to-back and one that happened a few days later after I was informed that I cleared the first two interviews. The first two were relatively simpler testing basics, the last one was more of a time challenge for an intermediate problem completed with compiling code.

Interview Question – Array Manipulations, problems involving subsets.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Amazon.com