Amazon.com Software Development Engineer Internship Interview Questions

3.1

Software Developer Engineer (Internship) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in March 2014.

Interview

Applied early December, got called in March for two back-to-back 45 min phone interviews. All technical, no behavioural questions. First interviewer was nice and tested on tree algorithms. Second interview asked a permutations question. He felt impatient and kept swaying me off in the wrong path.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Software Development Engineer Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

Interview

I met with a recruiter on campus in early January, handed him my resume, and talked for roughly five minutes about the internship and interview process. He answered my questions and told me to apply online. I did as he said and heard via email that I'm getting interviewed about 2 weeks later. The interview process consisted of two, one-hour phone interviews, each with the same structure: ~5 minutes talking about a project you did, ~10 minutes answering OOP questions (e.g. what is inheritance, dif between Abstract Class and Interface, what is overload and override) ~30-40 minutes coding up a solution to a programming question (most likely related to tree or linked list,) and the remaining time is left for asking questions. I was asked one programming question in each interview. The first was a LinkedList question. I was supposed to write a method that accepted two LinkedList as parameters, both of which represent integers by following a specific format. The left most (i.e. first) node represents the leftmost digit and the rightmost (last) node represents the rightmost digit. For example, the number 1337 is represented as 1 -> 3 -> 3 -> 7. My method's function was to return a new list (in the same format) that represents the addition of the given lists. For example, if this method were passed in 4 -> 2 and 8 -> 8, it should return a new list containing 1 -> 3 -> 0. During the second interview I was asked a BinaryTree question. I was asked to code a method that returned true if there if there is a path from the root to a leaf in which the values of each node add up to the given integer argument. For example, say this is the BinaryTree of Integers... 5 2 7 1 6 Then if this method is passed in 8, it should return true because 5 + 2 + 1 = 8, where 5 is the root and 1 is a leaf. But if 12 is passed in, it should return false because 5 + 7 = 12 BUT 7 is not a leaf node. The interviews themselves weren't terribly difficult -- but that just means they're looking for HOW you solve the problem (thought process, style, thoroughness.) I recommend practicing by simulating a phone interview. Time yourself, code from start to finish (no peeking at solutions!) talking out loud, even get a fellow CS friend to give you a mock interview. Two weeks after the interviews I was offered the job via email. I was asked when I wanted to start and which team I'd prefer to work on. I replied and a day later was put on the team I asked for and was officially hired!

Software Developer Engineer (Internship) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in October 2013.

Interview

Applied online. Contacted in 2 weeks. Had 2 back to back phone interviews each lasting 45 minutes each. Talked to two software developers. Questions regarded data structures, algorithms, and problem solving. Heard back two weeks later with an offer. It was my best offer so far so I accepted it.

Interview Questions

• Write a function that determines the longest palindrome in a given string.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

It was a phone interview, two interviews back to back with two different groups. Both interviews were technique interviews. They were mainly about data structure and algorithm, including some concept questions and programming problem. For programming problems, they used online editor with which they can see your process to solve the problems.

Interview Questions

• Giving a string with number from 1-250 in random order, but miss 1 number. How to find the missed number.   2 Answers

Software Development Engineer Internship Interview

Interview

I was schedule two 45-minute interview with a 15-minute break between. However, when I finished the first round, I did not receive any call for the second round. Has anyone else ever met this kind of situation? First I was asked some basic knowledge of data structures including the binary search tree, linked list, etc. After that, there were two questions that need code written.

Interview Questions

• Given an integer array, one element occurs odd number of times and all others have even occurrences. Find the element with odd occurrences.   2 Answers
    • Implement a stack from the scratch. Add a method to return the min value of the stack, in addition to pop() and push().   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Minneapolis, MN) in March 2013.

Interview

Dropped off resume at career fair, but I believe I was contacted due to my resume on my college recruiting site. I was contacted by email asking me to sign up for an on campus interview (I signed up for a Friday). I met with two interviewers, spending about 45 minutes with each one, and answered one main technical question for each. The following Monday, I got an email telling me I would receive an offer via phone call the next day. The email asked me to choose my start date (they start interns on Tuesdays but let you choose when you start).

Interview Questions

• Two questions, neither very hard: 1. Create a "flood" method for an image class (similar to the paint bucket in Microsoft Paint), taking in x and y coordinates and a color to fill with. 2. Create a function to input integers (1-999999) and output strings (one - nine hundred ninety-nine thousand nine hundred-ninety-nine).   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2013.

Interview

They contacted me back after about 2 weeks after submitting my résumé online.

Interview Questions

• Pretty easy questions. Seems like they were straight from Program Interviews Exposed, and basic data structure & OOP questions.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

I was contacted by an Amazon recruiter via email. She set me up with two phone interviews on the same day. After the two interviews, I got a response from a different recruiter in two weeks.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions about OOP, data structures and algorithms.   Answer Question

Negotiation

None

Software Development Engineer Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2013.

Interview

Two 45 min interviews back to back with a 15 min break in between. Completely technical based; no behavioral questions. One interview asked to verbally read him the code, while the second asked opened an online document where he could watch the code being typed live. Generally just wanted to see process in writing code.

Interview Questions

• Design code to be able to be able to find a song, a band, and all songs related to a particular band.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in March 2012.

Interview

I applied online and received and e-mail for setting up a phone interview. The phone interview consisted of 2 parts 45 min each. In the first part, the guy explained me the job details and tested me on my software engineering skills. I was given a scenario in which I was a restaurant manager and I had to create a software for managing reservations. I had to tell him the use cases and also which classes would I be using and I was told to code an example entity class. The second part consisted of basic java questions along with programming. I was told to write a program to check if a given binary tree is valid or not.

Interview Questions

• I was given a scenario in which I was a restaurant manager and I had to create a software for managing reservations. I had to tell him the use cases and also which classes would I be using and I was told to code an example entity class.   Answer Question
    • Basic java questions and write a method to test whether a given binary search tree is valid or not   1 Answer