Amazon.com Software Development Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Oct 15, 2014

3.4

659 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in May 2013.

Called out of the blue, asked if I'd be interested in interviewing. Still not entirely sure how they got my name. Had first phone interview the next week, asked no personal questions, all technical in nature. Total of 3 phone interviews and an in-person trip out to Seattle.

Took about 4 months start to finish. The people in the in person interview were wonderful. Very smart, laid back, and understanding. Got lunch, small tour of campus, and learned what I'd be doing. Got the offer 2 business days after the in person interview.

Sadly, I signed a NDA and I respect the terms of that. As such, I can't give you any specific questions, but I'll gladly give you the best advice I have.

Phone Interviews :

Phone interviews are sucky by nature. Coordinating a call from west to east coast alone is painful, add the fact that phones just take away the benefits of body language, and just make it harder to hear, and you've got a recipe for disaster. But fear not! Here are some helpful hints, some of which are obvious, some of which are not.

1. Get ready ahead of time. I just mean, get to the area you'll be doing the interview beforehand. I'd recommend an hour or more, just to get your nerves ready. Breathe, get used to the surroundings, and get everything laid out ahead of time. Which brings me to...

2. I know it's a "programming" interview, but for the love of all things good, have a pen and paper ready and at your disposal. Bring a backup pen. Much like a printer, the pen will fail at the worst possible time. You may also need a laptop, as I was asked to do "on the fly" programming. But close anything and everything distracting. Speaking of...

3. Pick a spot where there are no distractions. You'll want your undivided attention on this interview. Don't have BookTweet or FaceSpace or MyGram or that crap open if you have a laptop. And I personally wouldn't pick a public space, you never know when an annoying parent will put their screaming child right beside you.

4. Breathe. Just breathe. Take a moment, stretch, and remember you got this. If you have trouble hearing, don't be afraid to ask again. Don't be afraid to say you don't know. Do as for clarifications, and state assumptions up front. Always re-state the problem as you understand it.

As for the content : For the love of God, know what a time complexity is, and how to determine it for any and all code you write. Know the time complexities of all sorts. Know all data structures, how to use them, and properties of each. (Insertion time, deletion, etc) Generally know what heck you're talking about. But don't talk too much. You don't want silence at any point really, but you certainly don't want to let the interviewer not get a word in. Know graph theory, tree theory, and all the fun stuff associated with more "complex" structures. Understand what your language does behind the scenes, as far as GC and compiling go. Know how your language use internal structures to manage the code/objects you write.

**Continued below**

As a recent grad, there wasn't much room for negotiation.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Software Development Engineer Interview

Four rounds in total. Every rounds was consist of one behavior question and one technical algorithm questions. The algorithm questions included linkedlist, hashmap and graph search. Every interviewee talked a lot about what they do in their teams.

Interview Questions
    • Not exactly as the problems I prepared before the interview.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

there were 3 parts of question , 3 people in a group and work on separate parts individually using java or python anything you like. the question is about a sort a sequence of ad which given ad start time ,end time

Interview Questions
    • interviewer would meet you twice in middle and ask question   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

two online assessment tests. One is coding test, the other is sort of logical test. Two question for coding test. The first one is that given a string, delete all 'a,e,i,o,u', and return the new string. the second one is that given two string, check if one is the other's rotation. "cdefab" is the rotation of “abcdef" the logic test is hard to describe, but I suggest you to convert all a-z to 1-26 as a list and have that list at hands when you are doing the test.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I was approached by a recruiter, and talked to a hiring manager over the phone. In my experience, phone interviews are notoriously tricky to give but this man had supreme confidence in its effectiveness.

With no shared whiteboard, no facial cues, no real feedback, it was hard to understand not only the details of the question but also what he was driving at.

Software Development Engineer Interview

onsite interview after the online coding test for software developer position.. xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx

Interview Questions
    • given a single linked list, where every node also has a pointer to any random node, apart from normal value and next node pointer. This random pointer can point to any node in the linked list and can also be null. Task is to make another copy of this linked list with all same structure.   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I applied online and through my university's career portal. I heard back in a week . I had 2 phone interviews and after that I was flown to Seattle to attend a 6 hour hackathon like on-site interview. It was really cool. I got to work at a test code of the team I was being interviewed for.

Got a better job!

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Amazon.com.

There are two 45 minutes interviews with two interviewers. Both of the interviews are technical with current Amazon software engineers. I would say that 80% of the time in the interview is writing algorithm codes on a whiteboard. All questions are algorithm questions and surprisingly no data structure questions or OO questions. The difficulty is average but you should be prepared.

Interview Questions
    • How to recursively change the color of the pixels around a certain pixel?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

You have to absolutely make sure that you prepare thoroughly before you do the online assessment, you study up on your fundamentals. All questions are data structure algorithm type questions. I would get one of those prep books for technical interviews. Make sure you are at a secluded place when you take the test. Those are my abominable mistakes. Good Luck!

Interview Questions
    • I respect the NDA that I signed. Fundamental coding questions is all I can say.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

2 Phone Screens & 7 Onsite Interviews. After the offer the Recruiters were very rude. They think they can get away with it as they do in Seattle. But in Bay area there are lot of options.