Amazon.com

Updated Feb 24, 2015

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in May 2013.

Called out of the blue, asked if I'd be interested in interviewing. Still not entirely sure how they got my name. Had first phone interview the next week, asked no personal questions, all technical in nature. Total of 3 phone interviews and an in-person trip out to Seattle.

Took about 4 months start to finish. The people in the in person interview were wonderful. Very smart, laid back, and understanding. Got lunch, small tour of campus, and learned what I'd be doing. Got the offer 2 business days after the in person interview.

Sadly, I signed a NDA and I respect the terms of that. As such, I can't give you any specific questions, but I'll gladly give you the best advice I have.

Phone Interviews :

Phone interviews are sucky by nature. Coordinating a call from west to east coast alone is painful, add the fact that phones just take away the benefits of body language, and just make it harder to hear, and you've got a recipe for disaster. But fear not! Here are some helpful hints, some of which are obvious, some of which are not.

1. Get ready ahead of time. I just mean, get to the area you'll be doing the interview beforehand. I'd recommend an hour or more, just to get your nerves ready. Breathe, get used to the surroundings, and get everything laid out ahead of time. Which brings me to...

2. I know it's a "programming" interview, but for the love of all things good, have a pen and paper ready and at your disposal. Bring a backup pen. Much like a printer, the pen will fail at the worst possible time. You may also need a laptop, as I was asked to do "on the fly" programming. But close anything and everything distracting. Speaking of...

3. Pick a spot where there are no distractions. You'll want your undivided attention on this interview. Don't have BookTweet or FaceSpace or MyGram or that crap open if you have a laptop. And I personally wouldn't pick a public space, you never know when an annoying parent will put their screaming child right beside you.

4. Breathe. Just breathe. Take a moment, stretch, and remember you got this. If you have trouble hearing, don't be afraid to ask again. Don't be afraid to say you don't know. Do as for clarifications, and state assumptions up front. Always re-state the problem as you understand it.

As for the content : For the love of God, know what a time complexity is, and how to determine it for any and all code you write. Know the time complexities of all sorts. Know all data structures, how to use them, and properties of each. (Insertion time, deletion, etc) Generally know what heck you're talking about. But don't talk too much. You don't want silence at any point really, but you certainly don't want to let the interviewer not get a word in. Know graph theory, tree theory, and all the fun stuff associated with more "complex" structures. Understand what your language does behind the scenes, as far as GC and compiling go. Know how your language use internal structures to manage the code/objects you write.

**Continued below**

As a recent grad, there wasn't much room for negotiation.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Applied online in December. Received mail within 2 days. Online assessment in next 7 days. This test includes 7 questions in 20 minutes. Questions include correcting the already given code so that all the test cases work perfectly.
    Phone interview call in 1 week. 45 minutes. 2 questions.
    1) Find the second last node of a linked list.
    2) Find Nth node from the last in a given linked list.Find it's complexity.

One question on recent project. Waiting for response.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Apply online. Had an online assessment one month later. 7 easy debug coding questions that anyone who has some basic programming knowledge can solve it. All about for loop and comparison. Surprised that the questions are so easy......

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Two 45-minutes interviews, on campus. Back to back. One by software engineer and one by team manager. Brief introduction of both the interviewer and myself in the beginning, rest on solving the problem, and last few minutes left to ask questions.

Interview Questions
    • What is the challenging project you worked on? Designing class object. A question on LinkedList.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Amazon.com.

I was contacted by a recruiter about different positions and opportunities at the company. Afterwards they scheduled some initial phone screens. If all goes well you are invited for an on site interview.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Applied on our university career site. Two back-to-back onsite interviews on campus 1 months later. Each of them took 45min. Interviewers were pretty nice. We even told some jokes and laughed together. They asked me some of my experience on resume and 2 algorithm problems in each round. I wrote code on whiteboard. In the end they provide me some suggestion for feature interviews. It's definitely a great interview experience.

Offers came out one week later.

Interview Questions
    • Very basic questions about tree, string and searching. Nothing specific since NDA signed.   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Amazon.com.

The interview took place in a meeting room. There were two rounds of interviews, one behavioral, one technical, each took 45 minutes. There were two questions in the technical interview. The next week they told me I got rejected.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Given an array of integers find the element for which the sum of left = sum of right. example -1 100 1 98 1 should return index of 1 i.e 2

Answer: First told him about Brute Force approach and then told him if we can iterate once and get the total sum

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I was interviewed in Seattle for the position of SDE.

First round was telephonic. The call lasted for 90 minutes and I was asked to code on a notepad shared by both of us. The questions were related to OOPS.
    Second round was face to face in Seattle which included 5 rounds from 11AM to 4PM. Each round was around 45 mins long and all were technical round.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I applied Amazon through employee referral. The first round is an online assessment. There are two coding questions and many IQ and reading questions. The coding questions are really easy and they also provided test cases so you can run and see if you pass all the tests.
    A month later I took the next round, which is a half-hour video interview. We discussed the problems in OA and I got the chance to ask him some questions about Amazon.