Amazon.com Software Development Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 24, 2015

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in May 2013.

Interview

Called out of the blue, asked if I'd be interested in interviewing. Still not entirely sure how they got my name. Had first phone interview the next week, asked no personal questions, all technical in nature. Total of 3 phone interviews and an in-person trip out to Seattle. Took about 4 months start to finish. The people in the in person interview were wonderful. Very smart, laid back, and understanding. Got lunch, small tour of campus, and learned what I'd be doing. Got the offer 2 business days after the in person interview. Sadly, I signed a NDA and I respect the terms of that. As such, I can't give you any specific questions, but I'll gladly give you the best advice I have. Phone Interviews : Phone interviews are sucky by nature. Coordinating a call from west to east coast alone is painful, add the fact that phones just take away the benefits of body language, and just make it harder to hear, and you've got a recipe for disaster. But fear not! Here are some helpful hints, some of which are obvious, some of which are not. 1. Get ready ahead of time. I just mean, get to the area you'll be doing the interview beforehand. I'd recommend an hour or more, just to get your nerves ready. Breathe, get used to the surroundings, and get everything laid out ahead of time. Which brings me to... 2. I know it's a "programming" interview, but for the love of all things good, have a pen and paper ready and at your disposal. Bring a backup pen. Much like a printer, the pen will fail at the worst possible time. You may also need a laptop, as I was asked to do "on the fly" programming. But close anything and everything distracting. Speaking of... 3. Pick a spot where there are no distractions. You'll want your undivided attention on this interview. Don't have BookTweet or FaceSpace or MyGram or that crap open if you have a laptop. And I personally wouldn't pick a public space, you never know when an annoying parent will put their screaming child right beside you. 4. Breathe. Just breathe. Take a moment, stretch, and remember you got this. If you have trouble hearing, don't be afraid to ask again. Don't be afraid to say you don't know. Do as for clarifications, and state assumptions up front. Always re-state the problem as you understand it. As for the content : For the love of God, know what a time complexity is, and how to determine it for any and all code you write. Know the time complexities of all sorts. Know all data structures, how to use them, and properties of each. (Insertion time, deletion, etc) Generally know what heck you're talking about. But don't talk too much. You don't want silence at any point really, but you certainly don't want to let the interviewer not get a word in. Know graph theory, tree theory, and all the fun stuff associated with more "complex" structures. Understand what your language does behind the scenes, as far as GC and compiling go. Know how your language use internal structures to manage the code/objects you write. **Continued below**

Negotiation

As a recent grad, there wasn't much room for negotiation.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Applied through college internship fair. I got an email couple months later that i had to apply as a full time developer. I had two online assessments, one with debugging, reasoning, and coding. Second with coding and work simulation. Now i have group on-site interview. i heard this interview is grouped with two other candidates and work on a project. I am still waiting.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Jersey City, NJ) in June 2015.

Interview

Online test followed by phone call. Online test was little difficult and they were asking two questions. 1. Social Graph : In this problem, we want to parse a members social graup on the hot new social network. For the unfamiliar, each member in the network has n-many friends. Each of those friends has n-many more friends an on and on and on. We would like to write a program that given a socal graph, outputs each level of friends. Each friend should only be output once, at the first level they are encountered. The root friend should not be output. Input will consists of serveral lines, where each line represents a member and their friends. The final line will be the student of whom we will begin our traversal. For instance, a member and their friends will be represented as a string: A:B,C,D Where A is the member and B, C and D are the friends of A. If a member is listed without a colon, you can assume they have no friends of their own. Input 4 A:B,C,D B:A,D,E C:E,B A output: B:C,D E

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Two rounds of phone interviews before onsite. Onsite interview was said to meet 4 to 7 different people. The fourth session was a lunch interview session with the hiring manager. It turned out to be a bit difficult to answer questions about certain previous job while having lunch. I had gone through 6 interview sessions on that day.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

it takes 1 month. two online assessment. first one consists of three parts: debugging, reasoning test, coding test. the second part containing work simulation (2 hrs) and coding test(70mins). work simulation is mainly focusing on how you make your decision on some situations

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA).

Interview

White board coding interview with engineers/tech leads. I was called on campus a day before and was provided with hotel stay. The hotel is pretty close to the office to one can walk to the campus easily. I was provided with lunch first and the interview process began. I wasn't prepared much but in my opinion, the interview was fairly simple. Make sure your object oriented concepts are clear to be able to solve the design questions. Data structures is equally important along with its Algorithmic complexity.

Interview Questions

• You have a list of packages A, B, C such that A is dependent on B,C,D and B is dependent on D and C is dependent on E etc. Print the sequence of packages to run   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in August 2015.

Interview

Spoke to five people - 2 people from the fashion marketing team at the same time and 3 from the development team individually. Marketing interviewers were professional but 2 developers I spoke to were rude and arrogant - didn't even pay attention to what you were saying and kept on looking at their phones.

Interview Questions

• Question from one developer: Write code to traverse the binary in "level order" in any languages - C, C++ or Java. Describe Time and Space complexities   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied online and received an email about 5 weeks later. Set up an initial phone call with the recruiter, then scheduled a technical phone interview with a member of the team. The questions were very basic and related to the specific language for the position I was applying for. I was then invited on site to have four more technical interviews and lunch with the manager.

Interview Questions

• Very basic technical questions regarding data structures, writing algorithms, determining time and space complexity, and even just a discussion about how it would be possible to solve some problems the team is currently facing.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to get my salary and signing bonus increased. It helped that I had multiple other offers that were comparable. Research cost of living and things like that of the area the position is located.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

One phone call to schedule the interview was followed by another and another. Not only was the time and date changing each time, but also who I would be interviewing with. By the time I was able to find someone to conduct the interview, it ended up being so rushed and short that I was wondering what the point of even doing it at all. At the end I was told by the interviewer that she would contact me again shortly, but that never happened. Obviously there was a lot of internal confusion or miscommunication throughout the whole process. Not sure how common this is.

Interview Questions

• Simple screening questions about my background   2 Answers

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

Over the phone interview with recruiter, Online code test, 4 technical interviews. Phone interview was to quickly go over experience, online test was a timed coding test in a language of your choice. Each technical interview was a 1:1 with a technical manager or senior engineer.

Interview Questions

• Online code test at hackerrank.com. Technical interviews were very low level comp sci sort of stuff and not specific to any technology.   1 Answer