Amazon.com

3.4

688 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in May 2013.

Called out of the blue, asked if I'd be interested in interviewing. Still not entirely sure how they got my name. Had first phone interview the next week, asked no personal questions, all technical in nature. Total of 3 phone interviews and an in-person trip out to Seattle.

Took about 4 months start to finish. The people in the in person interview were wonderful. Very smart, laid back, and understanding. Got lunch, small tour of campus, and learned what I'd be doing. Got the offer 2 business days after the in person interview.

Sadly, I signed a NDA and I respect the terms of that. As such, I can't give you any specific questions, but I'll gladly give you the best advice I have.

Phone Interviews :

Phone interviews are sucky by nature. Coordinating a call from west to east coast alone is painful, add the fact that phones just take away the benefits of body language, and just make it harder to hear, and you've got a recipe for disaster. But fear not! Here are some helpful hints, some of which are obvious, some of which are not.

1. Get ready ahead of time. I just mean, get to the area you'll be doing the interview beforehand. I'd recommend an hour or more, just to get your nerves ready. Breathe, get used to the surroundings, and get everything laid out ahead of time. Which brings me to...

2. I know it's a "programming" interview, but for the love of all things good, have a pen and paper ready and at your disposal. Bring a backup pen. Much like a printer, the pen will fail at the worst possible time. You may also need a laptop, as I was asked to do "on the fly" programming. But close anything and everything distracting. Speaking of...

3. Pick a spot where there are no distractions. You'll want your undivided attention on this interview. Don't have BookTweet or FaceSpace or MyGram or that crap open if you have a laptop. And I personally wouldn't pick a public space, you never know when an annoying parent will put their screaming child right beside you.

4. Breathe. Just breathe. Take a moment, stretch, and remember you got this. If you have trouble hearing, don't be afraid to ask again. Don't be afraid to say you don't know. Do as for clarifications, and state assumptions up front. Always re-state the problem as you understand it.

As for the content : For the love of God, know what a time complexity is, and how to determine it for any and all code you write. Know the time complexities of all sorts. Know all data structures, how to use them, and properties of each. (Insertion time, deletion, etc) Generally know what heck you're talking about. But don't talk too much. You don't want silence at any point really, but you certainly don't want to let the interviewer not get a word in. Know graph theory, tree theory, and all the fun stuff associated with more "complex" structures. Understand what your language does behind the scenes, as far as GC and compiling go. Know how your language use internal structures to manage the code/objects you write.

**Continued below**

As a recent grad, there wasn't much room for negotiation.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Software Development Engineer Interview

Recruitment was straight forward -- pretty accomodating. Very unclear in their specifications and poor instructions on what resources are allowed during code challenge. I contacted amazon and let them know, but they said nothing could be done about thii

Software Development Engineer Interview

Get 2 phone call interview, the first call is about basic algorithms, binary search and recursion. The second interview is about software testing. After the interview, it takes about 2 weeks to get the result. The requirement for intern is not so high as full time job interview.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Gave an online assessment. The assessment consisted of 2 coding questions, to be completed in 70 min. This was followed by a series of logical questions. The first coding question was to identify if two strings are right rotations of each other. The second question was to find if two numbers are consecutive grey code sequences. Decent test. Time management is the vital part.

Interview Questions
    • Given 2 numbers. Find if they are consecutive grey code sequences   View Answers (2)

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Two rounds of interview. Applied in the career fair held in the university. They took the resume and called me back in a couple of weeks. There were 2 rounds held one on on. Each round was of 45 mins. Questions primarily focused on basic algorithm and data structures questions.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online and then was asked to do an on campus interview. The questions were very easy and I answered them correctly after a bit of discussion with the interviewer. HR did not tell me that I was actually interviewing with amazons subsidiary imdb so I was unprepared to ask questions. Also the interviewer might have thought that i insulted him at some point. Oops.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through my university career fair and also through their careers site. I received an email from them to take an online assessment test. They specified the last date before which the test had to be taken.

Interview Questions
    • Determine if two number are neighbors in grey code sequence.   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

First, I got an online assessment. It contains two algorithm problems and several logic problems.
    After about two weeks, I got an onsite to Seattle. It's four round back to back interview. The interview is not quiet hard. Something about BST and OOP.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Applied through the university's career website (essentially a resume drop), was later invited (via email, I think) to set up two on-campus interviews (45 minutes each, back to back). Met with one interviewer at a time: solved a problem, wrote some code and pseudocode, discussed modifications, trade-offs, runtimes; ended with a few minutes for questions. Got the decision within a week or so after that.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com.

On campus interview. 1 + 3 rounds of 1:1 interview mixed with technical and behavioral questions. Asked hashmap, binary search trees, arrays, dynamic programming related questions, and a kinda weird "design" problem. Most of the questions are not very hard and they didn't seemed to care about their choice of questions (three of them asked me the same question for three times). Haven't heard someone getting an offer in our school so I don't think they are very interested in hiring us.

Interview Questions
    • Rearrange a string such that duplicate characters are at least k positions away.   Answer Question
    • One question that at first I thought it is an Android related question, then I guess he wants me to implement a LRU cache, finally I believe that is a design question.   Answer Question