Amazon.com Software Development Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 29, 2015

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in May 2013.

Interview

Called out of the blue, asked if I'd be interested in interviewing. Still not entirely sure how they got my name. Had first phone interview the next week, asked no personal questions, all technical in nature. Total of 3 phone interviews and an in-person trip out to Seattle.

Took about 4 months start to finish. The people in the in person interview were wonderful. Very smart, laid back, and understanding. Got lunch, small tour of campus, and learned what I'd be doing. Got the offer 2 business days after the in person interview.

Sadly, I signed a NDA and I respect the terms of that. As such, I can't give you any specific questions, but I'll gladly give you the best advice I have.

Phone Interviews :

Phone interviews are sucky by nature. Coordinating a call from west to east coast alone is painful, add the fact that phones just take away the benefits of body language, and just make it harder to hear, and you've got a recipe for disaster. But fear not! Here are some helpful hints, some of which are obvious, some of which are not.

1. Get ready ahead of time. I just mean, get to the area you'll be doing the interview beforehand. I'd recommend an hour or more, just to get your nerves ready. Breathe, get used to the surroundings, and get everything laid out ahead of time. Which brings me to...

2. I know it's a "programming" interview, but for the love of all things good, have a pen and paper ready and at your disposal. Bring a backup pen. Much like a printer, the pen will fail at the worst possible time. You may also need a laptop, as I was asked to do "on the fly" programming. But close anything and everything distracting. Speaking of...

3. Pick a spot where there are no distractions. You'll want your undivided attention on this interview. Don't have BookTweet or FaceSpace or MyGram or that crap open if you have a laptop. And I personally wouldn't pick a public space, you never know when an annoying parent will put their screaming child right beside you.

4. Breathe. Just breathe. Take a moment, stretch, and remember you got this. If you have trouble hearing, don't be afraid to ask again. Don't be afraid to say you don't know. Do as for clarifications, and state assumptions up front. Always re-state the problem as you understand it.

As for the content : For the love of God, know what a time complexity is, and how to determine it for any and all code you write. Know the time complexities of all sorts. Know all data structures, how to use them, and properties of each. (Insertion time, deletion, etc) Generally know what heck you're talking about. But don't talk too much. You don't want silence at any point really, but you certainly don't want to let the interviewer not get a word in. Know graph theory, tree theory, and all the fun stuff associated with more "complex" structures. Understand what your language does behind the scenes, as far as GC and compiling go. Know how your language use internal structures to manage the code/objects you write.

**Continued below**

Negotiation

As a recent grad, there wasn't much room for negotiation.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

First Phone call: Recruiter will ask you basic background information about you, academic projects, few HR questions etc..
    Followed by this, there will be two 45 min Technical Interviews with a break of 15mins in between..
    They will share screen with you and will ask you to code..usually 1-2 Qustions..They could be same or different in two interview calls..
    Once you clear this, you will be called for On site interview..

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com (Jersey City, NJ) in June 2015.

Interview

Online test followed by phone call. Online test was little difficult and they were asking two questions.

1. Social Graph : In this problem, we want to parse a members social graup on the hot new social network. For the unfamiliar, each member in the network has n-many friends. Each of those friends has n-many more friends an on and on and on. We would like to write a program that given a socal graph, outputs each level of friends. Each friend should only be output once, at the first level they are encountered. The root friend should not be output. Input will consists of serveral lines, where each line represents a member and their friends. The final line will be the student of whom we will begin our traversal. For instance, a member and their friends will be represented as a string:

A:B,C,D
    Where A is the member and B, C and D are the friends of A. If a member is listed without a colon, you can assume they have no friends of their own.

Input

output:
    B:C,D
    E

Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview

one round phone interview, basic interview questions, the interviewer is really nice. You can pass it by explaining your solution clearly. They will send you a website where you can code at. You will share the screen with the interviewer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

Applied online in December. Received mail within 2 days. Online assessment in next 7 days. This test includes 7 questions in 20 minutes. Questions include correcting the already given code so that all the test cases work perfectly.
    Phone interview call in 1 week. 45 minutes. 2 questions.
    1) Find the second last node of a linked list.
    2) Find Nth node from the last in a given linked list.Find it's complexity.

One question on recent project. Waiting for response.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

Took around two weeks. First contacted by an Amazon recruiter, then scheduled a on-site interview. It was a hiring even so the on-site interview was locally. Met 5 people total, 4 of them are engineer and one manager. The whole process took me 5 hours.

Interview Questions

• For mid-level software developer, all the questions are design question. One of them is to write codes for a traffic light system, include all classes and methods.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online and received an email from HR within two days to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was one week later. Two weeks after the phone interview I received an email from HR saying they decided to go with other candidates.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

The interviews at Amazon were a complete waste of my time, the process wasn't enjoyable at all. Had contact with multiple Amazon recruiters over phone and email and it was very poorly run. Some recruiters didn't get back to me, some did. The overall process was chaotic and you're treated like a number. After passing the phone interview I was invited on-site. My takeaway is that Amazon treats its potential employees like they are expendable and they're only interested if you can pass the technical part which is okay, but they also want to know if they can overwork you. I wouldn't apply to Amazon unless you knew full well of Amazon's work environment, and the interviews only validated Amazon's terrible work environment and culture that I've read about. The positive aspect is you'll be working with very smart individuals, but these same individuals may be difficult to work with especially with the cut-throat environment Amazon fosters.

Interview Questions

• Lots of behavioral questions to see if you're willing to be worked to death, then the standard technical coding challenges.   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

There was a recruiter hiring for SDE's and posted the same on Linkedin. I contacted her and she said she would forward my resume to the team. It was a complete waste of time because after a week this recruiter emailed me saying they have evaluated my technical exercise and decided not to pursue my application. The mind boggling thing about this is I never received a technical exercise. After failed continuous attempts to get response from this recruiter I decided I will never apply for any jobs in amazon. I know they have a lot of candidates dreaming about getting in, but I will not be one of them

Interview Questions

• Was there an interview? I am not sure. The recruiter might have answered the interview questions herself   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

I got a call from a recruiter, who gave me a 45 minute informal interview on the phone. Within a week, I went to an in person interview in NYC (4 back-to-back interviews), and within a week after that, I had an offer! I interviewed with 3 teams and got offers for 2 of them. My only real complaint was that I had so little time between the first recruiter call and the interview, I only had a day to prepare.

Interview Questions

• Signed an NDA, pretty easy questions though. Some OOP, some basic knowledge of big O.   Answer Question