Amazon.com Software Development Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014

3.4

630 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2014.

I was called for an onsite day long interview in Seattle. The interview was a group/team coding exercise. In the morning after a tour of the amazon campus in Seattle, we were divided into groups of 3 and given a laptop to work on. You could select an OS and IDE of your preference to work on. We were given a problem which had 3 tasks and each of us had to take on of them. The coding started around 11 in the morning and lasted till 4:30 in the evening. In the duration I had 2 one on one interviews, the 1st one 30 mins into the exercise and the 2nd one an hour before the turning in of our codes.
The interviews focused on the approach I had decided on to solve the problems. Which data structure, any optimizations I could think of if I had more time.

Interview Questions
  • Why have you decided to use this data structures. What would be the complexities?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

Applied on college career fair. Received the interview email like 2 months after submitting my resume. One screening and 1 week later got the invitation of on-site interview. The on-site interview last a whole day from noon to 4pm, including 6 panel interviews by amazon engineers from different departments.

Interview Questions
    • how to sort a very big bunch of data like 1 million items   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

Applied online. contacted by recruiter to schedule technical phone screen. during the phone interview few basic CS questions about hash tables, searching algorithm and data structures. then moved to coding piece which was about implementing binary search

Interview Questions
    • Designing a stack like data structure(push, pop) and a min() function which operates in constant time   Answer Question
    • You have two large 1GB plain text files stored in two computers connected by a slow connection. Most of the files is the same or they could be the same, how would you quickly determine if the files are the same and if they are different where are they different?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in August 2014.

Applied online through their career website. Got an email from the recruiter the next day. She set up an online timed coding assessment. The questions were:

1) Given an int number in bits, format it into exactly 3 digits (with a decimal) and add a G for gigs, M for megabytes K for kilobytes and B for bytes.
    2) Given two arrays of integers, create a third array with the element in each position in the first array multiplied by every element in the second array except for the element at the same index in the second array.

Passed that. On to phone screen. Questions straight out of Cracking the Coding Interview (book):

1) Rotate a 2D array 90 degrees clockwise, in-place without using a second 2D array
    2) Design a chat server

Flew out to Amazon in Seattle:

First Interview) Given an array of integers sorted in ascending order, return a list of all elements that have the difference of 2 (for example 2 and 4, or 5 and 7).
    Second Interview) Behavioral. Tell me about the most challenging task. Hardest bug.
    ...Lunch break
    Third Interview) Given a bitmap, find the largest size of adjacent 1's.
    Fourth Interview) Given a sorted array, return a set of all ranges in the array. For example [0,1,2,4,6,7,8] has ranges 0-2, 4-4, and 6-8.
    Fifth interview) Design a furniture store. (It was very hard to understand the girl interviewing me, not because she had bad english, but because she just wasn't able to articulate what she was asking. She was obviously new and nervous).
    Sixth interview) Design an airplane tracking system.

Got an email the next week (Interview was Friday, got email following Wednesday) that I did well with the simple solutions and got everything right, but struggled with the more difficult solutions, which I should have gotten easily given my years of experience. So no offer.

Interview Questions
    • Given a bitmap, find the largest size of adjacent 1's.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

I missed a hiring event earlier in the week, but a friend referred me to a recruiter that contacted him earlier last month. I emailed her and had a brief conversation to ask what I'm currently doing at my job and why I'm looking to leave. Afterwards, she set me up with a 90-minute remote interview using collabedit.com. She recommended using www.topcoder.com and www.careercup.com to prepare for the interview.

Almost a week later, I had the phone/ coding interview:
    1. Find the intersection of two arrays
       a. What's the time and space complexity?
       b. Can you improve performance? i.e. What if arrays were sorted?
       c. Which sort would you choose?
       d. What if provided and unknown number of arrays?

2. Given a binary search tree, write a method to add a new node to the tree (without re-structuring)

P.S. I heard from a fellow Amazon friend that they are changing up the interview process, so I'm not sure if this is what it's moving to since he said that he had 2 45-minute interviews before proceeding to the on-site interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2014.

Direct on-site interview with Amazon. A live project to be implemented within the end of the day.
    A couple of Amazon engineers were assigned to go through the process and for 1:1 interview based on the progress with the assigned project.

Interview Questions
    • There was only one Project task assigned, no other questions were asked   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

I don't remember how I applied, but remember that Amazon contacted me by email. First step was an informal interview with one of the team members, followed by 5 formal interviews. What's the difference between formal and informal? I didn't quite understand.

The interviewers were nice, tasks were well formulated with some exceptions. Mostly trivial algorithms. For all questions involving algorithms I first implemented the task using the most-trivial, least-efficient method, told the interviewer the current complexity and then incrementally improved the algorithm for efficiency. I'd recommend you the same as it gives you the time to analyse the task and have some basis for improvement.

Didn't solve 2 tasks and was asked to send the solutions immediately after the interview. And I sent.

After a week I got a phone call telling me about an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Design a system for a cinema theatre. This was the formulation and it wasn't clear what they want - class model design, or an architectural design. Ask questions, check your assumptions and everything will be fine.   Answer Question
    The offer seemed ok. The only thing I asked to change - the starting date.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Very fast process but hard interview. Not for junior or entry level positions. I applied online and received email within one week to arrange for phone interview. Interview questions are typical study material for computer engineers such as data structures and object oriented designs

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in August 2014.

I applied at a software development engineer for Amazon Web Service, in Dublin. Initial contact was by email, all nice and well, and they told me they will send me a "coding challenge" at a given date (still by email) to complete in one hour. Fair enough, I've heard of those before, it's usually a strictly algorithmic problem to solve in the language of your choice, and this one was no exception (see below)

Came the big day, I sat ready in front of my computer, and... nothing. They forgot to sent it. I had to call to remind them. Okay, this is the kind of thing that happens. Anyway, I completed the challenge, with a working solution, maybe not the most optimal, I admit, but working nonetheless and in time.

After that, no answer from them, not even an acknowledgement they received it. Days, then weeks have passed : obviously, they give you one hour to do the code, but allow themselves unlimited time to have a look at it. I tried to contact them again, with no avail. I'm not the kind of person who harass people on the phone/mail, so I gave up. I'm not that desperate for a job.

In the end, I'm really disappointed by the lack of professionalism, especially from a big company that boasts being constantly on the edge. It's like they didn't care.

Interview Questions
    • You have an array of integer and a target number, give all the possible combinations that sum up to the target.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

1. One simple data structure question, find the first common of two linked list.
    2. OODesign: design a furniture shop.

Interview Questions
    • Design a furniture shop. I am not familar with OOD then.   Answer Question

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!