Amazon.com Software Development Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 29, 2015

3.3

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in November 2013.

Interview

The onsite interview started at 9:00. At first, two senior engineers brought me to a small room. There's no warmup question. They gave me a graph question and then asked me some behavioral questions. Then other people came in and went out. There were four different meetings, testing object-oriented, algorithms, and system design question. Each meeting lasted for 45 minutes.

Interview Questions

• How to decide if a graph is acyclic?   3 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

Over the phone interview with recruiter, Online code test, 4 technical interviews. Phone interview was to quickly go over experience, online test was a timed coding test in a language of your choice. Each technical interview was a 1:1 with a technical manager or senior engineer.

Interview Questions

• Online code test at hackerrank.com. Technical interviews were very low level comp sci sort of stuff and not specific to any technology.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com (New York, NY) in February 2014.

Interview

I applied online and got reached out by a recruiter after about 3 months. Two phone interviews followed, both technical, each took 45 minutes. I thought there would be on-site ones after, while I then received my offer.

Interview Questions

• All technical questions, coding required. In the first one, I was asked to reverse a linked list and write a few test cases for my code. The second one asked me to merge to sorted linked lists. Another question about SQL join (what's the difference between left join and right join), perhaps because I had some database experience in my resume.   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2015.

Interview

Did an initial online skills screen, followed by a phone interview. The skills screen was easy, comprised of simple debugging questions. The interview itself was just over the phone, and consisted of really simple knowledge questions and a question from Cracking the Coding Interview.

Interview Questions

• Just a basic question from Cracking the Coding Interview   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

One phone call to schedule the interview was followed by another and another. Not only was the time and date changing each time, but also who I would be interviewing with. By the time I was able to find someone to conduct the interview, it ended up being so rushed and short that I was wondering what the point of even doing it at all. At the end I was told by the interviewer that she would contact me again shortly, but that never happened. Obviously there was a lot of internal confusion or miscommunication throughout the whole process. Not sure how common this is.

Interview Questions

• Simple screening questions about my background   2 Answers

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in August 2014.

Interview

Phone interview followed by 4 short panel interviews of 45 minutes each - in a single day. Had to use the board and marker to solve questions asked. Mostly technical interview

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chandigarh (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com (Chandigarh (India)).

Interview

3 rounds 1. online test with 2 coding questions. 2. Technical interview 3. Technical and hr interview only those students were shortlisted from the first round who were able to solve at least 1 coding question

Interview Questions

• technical interview question mostly were on the linked list, trees and some normal algorithms   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Houston, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

Onsite at Houston, there were 4 technical interviews in front of a whiteboard. Good mix of questions. Got a call back saying that the bar raiser thought I'd be good for a management role so I did a phone interview for that but I had a very hard time understanding the interviewer because of his Indian accent. I found a decent solution to the programming question in that interview but was told I was not going to be offered the management position but would be offered an SDE position, the recruiter talked about compensation but would not mention a base salary, only total compensation package, which is fine, but I make my decisions on my known budget and if I can afford rent in the location. Then I heard nothing for several days and was finally passed to another Amazon recruiter. She said that I had a phone call with a team manager to see if it was a good fit, she specifically said it would not be technical that I had allready passed all that. The phone call started out with very bad feedback, the interviewer was using some software that made an echo of everything I said. It was very disorientating to be talking about my past projects but hear my voice repeat. He turned whatever it was off then then drilled into one project in particular in an area that I had said I didn't setup. Then asked an algorithm question, which I found a medium level solution for. It was very adversarial feeling. Very strange company that they state that hiring is there number one focus. I think not hiring is really there number one goal, because after that call the recruiter said she was confused by what happened as well and said she'd try me with 2 more teams for a fit. It's been 4 days since she said that so I've pretty much written them off. No one that I've talked to seems to be a decision maker, if a company makes a verbal offer and says over and over that they want to hire you, why not just finalize it and figure out placement later. Company seems great if you know what your getting into, but the hiring process seems convoluted.

Interview Questions

• They asked me Software Engineering questions and about my past experience. They provide prep material to study prior to the technical interviews so there were no surprises until I had the interview that was not supposed to be technical.   Answer Question

They don't have a button for 'Still in process', they gave me a verbal offer but then never completed it. Other companies are looking better simply as a result of the interview experience. I'd still consider if they send a real offer.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in July 2015.

Interview

Amazon found me through Linkin. Had two arranged interview done. First was informative questions then followed by technical interview which was set later after a week. Joining the conference for interview call didn't work for me and i thought they will call me direct to my number instead and didn't happen but it was resorted to use Hangout as medium to communications. Thanks to google video call Hangout. It was not a very good experience but it works anyway.

Interview Questions

• Describe the challeging work you have experienced   Answer Question
    • Given row table matrix having 0's and 1's. Find which row has most number of 1 using 2 dimension array.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in November 2014.

Interview

I went to Seattle for on-site interview. They payed everything for food, transportation, and hotel. Interview started about 9 am and ended about 4 pm. They gave me small project to do and everyone had to work on it until the they told me to stop. All the framework for the project was given and I needed to implement functions.Every 1 hour, each person did 1:1 interview with one of the engineer and talked about what I have done.

Interview Questions

• My interview was basically project so I had no interview question   Answer Question