Amazon.com

Updated Dec 15, 2014

3.4

709 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Amazon.com in December 2014.

I am a freshly graduated student and onsite was 5 rounds and three of them are OOD/System design, only two coding questions which is not hard. I wonder why there're so many design problems guess with bad luck.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Communication and planning was smooth, and I was scheduled for four one-hour interviews.
    Each inwerview was a one-on-one with a software developer. There were a few personal questions, then technical questions on different topics (algorithms, OO design, testing). At the end of each interveiw there was a chance to ask them questions about working at Amazon. The whole process was very informal and pleasant.
    After the inwerviews i quickly received an answer, but after that the process was somewhat slow.

Interview Questions
    • All of the technical questions were fairly standard interview questions.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Amazon.com in December 2014.

One is telephone interview with screen sharing for a technical question. Another one is an on line recorded interview with a general question asking me to describe a situation that I persuade a co-worker to make a change, then a programming question and some questions about software development knowledge.

Interview Questions
    • Given a matrix of letters, write a program function to list all words that start with each of these letters.   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in December 2014.

Applied through a recruiter at the university, met in a room of 50+ people and we all took an online "assessment." Wasn't too difficult, two different sections, a little over an hour

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I got contacted by a recruiter and was invited to a special interview event since I was referred by an employee.
    The interview took the whole day, in which candidates were split into groups and solved given tasks. After coding for a while, candidates were involved into 2 back to back interviews to analyze their codes and explore further options/ optimize existing solution.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult problem for me was probably to optimize my solution. I was not able to do it.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

First took online challenge and then invited to on-site interview.
    It took 2 weeks.
    On the interview day, I had 4 interviews with 4 different teams.
    Most interviewers knew what they were doing. They helped through the process.
    However, one of them could not manage the time, left little time for question.
    The other was new at interviewing and getting directions from the other one, which was confusing.
    An interview starts with cv questions that take 10-15 mins.

Interview Questions
    • Design questions were unexpectedly detailed.
      1 binary search
      1 string process
      2 design questions
      additionally a bunch of data structure related improvements .

Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cape Town (South Africa)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cape Town (South Africa)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in November 2013.

After applying online, I was asked to submit a solution for a challenge problem sent to my email, afterwards there was 3 screening phone calls, then I went to an onsite interview (3 technical interviews, 2 HR).
    During the interviews I was asked about programming languages, networking, threading, troubleshooting production systems, data structures and programming puzzles.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in July 2013.

I applied online and emailed a manager contact listed in one of the online postings. I had a brief email conversation with the manager and he setup a phone screen for me with another manager on a different team. I had two phone screen interviews about a week apart. Each phone screen lasted around 60 minutes and required me to write code into a web-browser for the interviewer to view. A week or more after the final phone screen, an in-house interview was scheduled. The in-house interview took almost all day and consisted of five hour long interviews with different engineers asking coding questions and a one hour lunch discussion with the hiring manager.

Interview Questions
    • Design a system to store and vend customer preferences to the retail website.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

hard. still working on. data structure, algorithm, binary, suggestion, you need to prepare. breathe. you need practice, hard. still working on. data structure, algorithm, binary, suggestion, you need to prepare. breathe. you need practice,

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com.

The AWS team is opening the new software development house in Sydney. I received phone interview notice after I submitted the online application.

It started with the two round phone interviews, around 15 mins general talk and then focused on code interviews on collabedit.com. They are all around 1 hours each.

Then I got into the in-house interview consisting of 3 phone interviews with engineers from Seattle, (I suppose it's a new team they haven't got enough engineers to do it), another 3 based in Australia two of them are from management team.

Interview Questions
    • I would say most technical questions are not unexpected, I got many behavioral questions from management side, like 'Is there problem that you feel really hard and haven't try yet', 'what if you are required to solve it, how would you get started?'   Answer Question