Amazon.com

Updated Feb 25, 2015
Updated Feb 25, 2015

3.4

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2015.

The first round was a very simple online test, but you need to be pretty fast because the online compiler takes time. Nothing you wouldn't know beforehand.
The interview questions were pretty easy. Basic oops and algorithms questions. The interviewer seemed to be in a hurry though, and created a slightly stressful environment. They asked me to code on Collabedit.

Interview Questions
  • Design an oops scenario (given by them) and explain why you used certain features.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in April 2014.

Didn't prepare very well. The question is very basic, but I didn't do it very well. The interviewers are very nice, I got a lot of hints when I got stuck. Good trip to Seattle, it's very beautiful city.
    OA:3 Linked list questions
    Onsite: using BST find connections in social network, OO questions like method accessment, polymorphism, elevator design .

Interview Questions
    • OA:3 Linked list questions

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

I applied online and got online assessment. After the online assessment, I got a onsite interview. This is a 4-round interview, each one is about 45 minutes. You'll have 5-min break between 2 rounds. Most of them are technical questions, especially algorithms and data structure problems. Have some behavior questions during every round.

Interview Questions
    • Valid Parentheses: Given a string having some brackets, determine if the input string is valid.
      Design how to recover a binary tree
      OOP questions and multi-thread problems
      Given a set of candidate numbers and a target number, determine whether there's a combination in C where the candidate numbers sums to the target number or not.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in November 2013.

there are two phone screen for software engineer interview. Each phone lasts for 45 minutes. I heard they change the process to online initial assessment the one phone screen. I think cracking coding interview is your friend. Also practice some questions like design parking lot, design card shuffle, or design online system library. Also be sure to review related knowledge about stack, binary search tree, hash map. Amazon likes to ask about hash map questions.

Interview Questions
    • Write a program to shuffle a deck of 52 cards and shuffle them equally to 4 players.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in December 2014.

one round of telephonic and 4 B2B interviews in seattle. Telephonic interview was the hardest and the rest were pretty ok one design, 3 coding. Overall it was an average difficulty.

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2015.

I apply it online via campus link systems. After one week I do a coding test online. First select language and then do some problems to find out and modify bugs. You will have one week to do it. followed by phone. Just take it easy. I do not think it is too difficult but I was then declined.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in December 2014.

Applied in Grace Hopper career fair in October. Was contacted in November to take online assessment. The online assessment was for 2 hours which consisted of two basic coding questions and 25 analytical questions.
    Followed by an onsite interview which consisted of four 45 minute technical interviews. Three interviews were based on data structures and algorithms. And another interview consisted of design related questions.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were from Cracking the coding interview book.
      Implement a queue using two stacks.
      Build a hashmap from scratch.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in December 2014.

First, they send me a link with a problem to solve. I had 1 hour, the question was quite easy. It was basically to find the number of connected components in a graph. After 2 weeks, they invited me for an on-site interview. Then there was a single interview that lasted ~45 minutes. I was asked some general questions like: "what projects have I done", "how I handled a difficult situation", etc. After that they showed me and the other candidates around the office.

Interview Questions
    • The first coding question was to determine whether a list of integers with size N, contains all the numbers from one to N.   Answer Question
    • The second one was to find the "local minimums" in a list of integers. Which is when the sequence stops decreasing and starts increasing. Example: 5 3 5 2 1 4 7 3 1 2 - 3, 1, 1 are minimums.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2014.

Coding and logical ability test-
    70 min 2 coding problems
    35 min 30 logical (Quant) questions

two different sections one after the other.

you will be allowed to take a break time in between these two sections.

logical ability test will be collection of permutations,probability,sequences and series.

It is all about time management because we have to answer each question in a minute.

Coding is of only two easy questions should be answered in 70minutes in any programming language.

Interview Questions
    • 1.two simple coding questions
      2.30 logical & quant questions

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2015.

Applied online, was reached out to by a recruiter a couple of months later. Took an online test for basic coding two weeks after initial contact, passed that and moved on to technical interview. Had the technical interview about a month later. Got the no offer email a couple of days after that. Didn't answer anything incorrectly, some minor mistakes and generally didn't think I came across as confident in myself. Interviewer was a bit terse, which didn't help.

Interview Questions
    • Write a function to check whether a binary tree was a binary search tree. My first function only handled trees with integer values and he asked me to run through the function with a tree of double/float values. I should have asked clarifying questions before I started coding.

Design a library (write out all of the classes, etc...), this was an OO question. Missed a few abstractions, basic structure was alright though.