Amazon.com

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Average Difficulty
612 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Software Development Engineer

I interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Interview Details – After not hearing back from the company for a couple of weeks, I finally received an email telling me that I will be having a phone interview the next day. They allowed me to choose between three time slots. All together, it was a 2 hr technical interview with two different interviewers. They used an online coding website so they interview can view your work

Interview Question – Nothing really difficult or unexpected, just know your stuff. As you are writing your programming, make sure to explain why you are doing what ever you are doing. If you are going off track, they will help.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – 2 phone interviews. hired based off of 30 mins of talk time and a resume you gave them. Not a ton of time to show off, but it was enough. you'll be asked some personality questions and a coding question or two. two people each with their own set of questions.

Interview Question – Expect different coding questions. Get one of those "How to Crack the Technical Interview" if you're concerned. For an intern position the questions will be pretty light, but that will depend on your interviewer. Look up the 14 amazon leadership principals and be ready to explain how you applied each one in the past - they'll ask you about one or two but you won't know which one. You might get a design question - design an alarm clock. Don't try to just do it on the fly. They're testing you to see if you get more specifications before trying to design a product.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Intern position. I did not negotiate.

Software Development Engineer

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in November 2013.

Interview Details – Some HR questions about my problem solution abilities. A few questions about my background and CV. The interviewer got the idea that I am not as technical as he would wanted, so he ended the interview after 30 minutes into it. I guess I became insecure about my skills and did not get the offer.

Interview Question – Confidence is your best friend.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Interview Details – I was contacted by an Amazon recruiter in a mass email, with a schedule to sign up for an interview on campus. I had the interview about 5 days later. Two back-to-back 45 minute interviews with just an Amazonian and I (in adjacent rooms, another student and I just swapped places. First one was pretty relaxed, talked about data structures, what he did at Amazon, he asked me a couple simple fast questions typical of a intro CS class exam, and an OO design question. Next person asked me a long question that took me about 40 minutes to complete, and we talked a bit about what she did.

I had another offer deadline imminent, so they got back to me with an offer on that Monday (the interview was Friday). Very fast and surprisingly simple process, I'm still surprised that there was really only one (kind of two) interviews. Good experience!

Interview Question – Finding out if there is a palindrome inside of a string I think? It's been a while, but I hadn't seen it before and the interviewer helped me out a bit.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, since it's an internship.

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details – 2 phone interview, 1 on-campus. Phone interview are about 40 minutes each. After that I had a one to one on-campus interview which takes 40 minutes as well. Phone interviews are pretty easy, went over my resume and asked a few technical questions.

Interview Question – Not very hard, typical programming questions about data structures, like hash tables.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Interview Details – I gave a recruiter my resume at my university's career fair and got an email about 2 weeks later inviting me to an on-site interview in Seattle. I was really surprised that I didn't have any phone interviews, not even an initial phone screen before being invited on-site (nobody from Amazon called me at all). I live in California, so going to the campus wasn't just a drive away.
At my on-site interview, we were put into groups of 3 to complete a mini programming project that was supposedly based on problems that real Amazon engineers consider (but to a much smaller scale). Each project is independently done. That's what we worked on for the whole day, and throughout the day, you would get pulled out for short interviews mostly explaining what you're doing on the project and related things. Nothing really behavioral or technical. The interviewers were friendly and helpful. Afterwards, all the interviewees went into a room for some panel discussion and questions.
Overall, I had a good experience on-site, but it was very different from what I expected or have experienced before. One thing though, it's been over a month since I submitted my reimbursements and still haven't gotten a reimbursement or update.

Interview Question – We werent really asked any questions...   Answer Question

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details – Same experience as everyone else on glassdoor. Two online coding tests. Five in person 45 min interviews in one day. Lots of whiteboard coding and design. Lots of behavioral questions. They try to get you to badmouth previous managers and badmouth yourself with uniquely worded questions. Recognise these for what they are and respond appropriately.

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in May 2014.

Interview Details – I submitted an application online and forgot about it, and was contacted by a recruiter a few weeks later. I had two phone interviews about three weeks part. Each one was about an hour and involved technical questions. I did pretty terrible on both of them due to nervousness.

Shortly after (< 1 week) I was invited for onsite interviews. I had 5 interviews + lunch, with a mix of technical and behavioral questions. The questions were typical algorithm/data structures questions, so definitely prepare on those beforehand. The next day I got an email letting me know that they would be extending an offer. I had interviewed at a couple of other places previously which really helped my confidence. Definitely do that if possible.

Interview Question – A lot of behavioral questions, have some experiences memorized so you're not making it up as you go along.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate the base salary a little, but they wouldn't budge very much.

Software Development Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2010.

Interview Details – Very good communication. Had interview at school's career centre.

Two interviewers in total, one person each time about 30~45 minutes. Both friendly and after some general questions the technical part started. First one is reversing a linked-list. The second person asks questions regarding multiple file's management and merging problems.

Got back after a weeks and rejected me.

Interview Question – Reverse the linked-list and check for edge cases   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in November 2012.

Interview Details – I applied through the career fair of our university. They contacted me afterwards and invited for a hiring event at Seattle. There were several candidates who were interviewed on the same day. I had 4 rounds of interviews and the difficulty of questions varied for moderate to hard. With good preparation of computer science basics and some interview practice, it is relatively easy to crack this interview.

Interview Question – I was asked to implement a hash map from scratch. It was challenging because we don't really think in detail about how to do it. There were problems about resolving hash collisions, how to maintain the hash map, how to update/ delete elements, complexity analysis etc. Overall I think this was a very good question to test both CS fundamentals and coding skills.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Had better offers.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!