Amazon.com

Updated Jan 27, 2015

3.4

729 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

It started with HR phone screen, then a technical phone screen, and finally on-site interview. The process goes very smoothly and basically you could know the result in a short time. Very efficient and nothing to complain about.

However, the on-site interview is also very fast-paced, which means if you don't complete the questions in time, you wouldn't get a chance to ask the interviewer any questions. Some interviewers are pretty good but some are just okay and might make you feel that he doesn't care what you're talking about ;).

Interview Questions
  • Most questions are basic. Just be careful on the corner cases.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2015.

I applied by friend's referral. I got the email confirmation from amazon about a week later. Interview starts with an online assessment, including logic questions, read & answer questions and two coding questions, pretty straightforward and can be found online. Next, I received on-site invitation.

Interview Questions
    • online assessment questions are time tough. be careful.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2013.

Four round back to back interviews after lunch. All 45 minutes. All data structure/ algorithm based questions. And bunch of behavior questions.
    A senior manager asked me to write a Stack, and get a min value of that Stack. Which is a little surprised. And then some kinds of pressure testing :/
    Not so hard. If you prepared well, you should be OK.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2015.

I was contacted by amazon about half a year after I applied. I did the online assessment, a phone/video screening, and an all day in person interview. The interview on site was the hardest. 4 of the 5 interviews were technical and one was behavioral. I signed an NDA so I won't give specific questions, but I will tell you what I did to prepare.
    I read through the entire Cracking the Coding Interview book (I didn't have time to do all the problems but I made sure I understood the answers). I took the Algorithms class on coursera (they offer two sequential classes). That was probably one of the most helpful things. Those classes go over exactly what you need to know - data structures, algorithms, etc. They didn't ask me directly about the data structures (i.e. What is a hash table?) but I did need to know exactly what my options were and the properties of each data structure. For each problem, I had to choose which structures were appropriate and explain why. So I had to know them inside and out. I would strongly recommend going through all the common data structures and refreshing how they work, what they are best for, and the complexity of each operation.
    I would also suggest learning about Amazon specifically - what their teams do, what languages and database systems they use. I did, so I was able to ask my interviewers good questions.
    During the interview, I was extremely nervous but I made sure to talk through everything I was doing and thinking about even if I didn't have a solution in mind right away. I recommend trying to minimize silent moments.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was a design question. It was open ended and there was no one right answer. I would suggest practicing design questions such as "design a parking lot" or "design a card game" and figuring out all the details and possible problems.   Answer Question
    They gave me a really good offer and I did not try to negotiate.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Given an array of integers find the element for which the sum of left = sum of right. example -1 100 1 98 1 should return index of 1 i.e 2

Answer: First told him about Brute Force approach and then told him if we can iterate once and get the total sum

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Applied online in December. Received mail within 2 days. Online assessment in next 7 days. This test includes 7 questions in 20 minutes. Questions include correcting the already given code so that all the test cases work perfectly.
    Phone interview call in 1 week. 45 minutes. 2 questions.
    1) Find the second last node of a linked list.
    2) Find Nth node from the last in a given linked list.Find it's complexity.

One question on recent project. Waiting for response.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I applied Amazon through employee referral. The first round is an online assessment. There are two coding questions and many IQ and reading questions. The coding questions are really easy and they also provided test cases so you can run and see if you pass all the tests.
    A month later I took the next round, which is a half-hour video interview. We discussed the problems in OA and I got the chance to ask him some questions about Amazon.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

1. contacted by email and then got phone call from HR
    2. A week later got a technical phone interview with a coding question
    3. Two weeks later, invited to on-site interviews and met with 5 interviewers
    4. One interviewer asked how to sell products without any coding questions

Software Development Engineer Interview

The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com.

first I got a online test which contains two coding question, and they are about operations to string, you can choose the language you use. Then one week later I got email about onsite at Seattle, four round face-to-face interviews, the questions I have are almost about design and operations to product log, however the guy I meet at Seattle had almost different questions, and I felt I did good, hope I can get offer

Interview Questions
    • design structure to classify product info, by date, by sales.....   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

A coding question from Codility, not very hard but the time is not enough for a perfect and efficient solution. You can test anytime when you are programming on the website. And there are many examples and practice questions on the website.
    It takes more than 2 months until I received the next round interview invitation.

Interview Questions
    • Write a program to find specific points in an 3D array.   Answer Question